Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > Breakaway > Star Wars

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 12-07-2013, 08:36 PM   #1
thundergod
Astrophysics Technician

Default Clone Wars era Fighters

A couple of years ago I picked up a couple of Revell Star Wars "Easykits" , the V-19 Torrent Starfighter and the Magnaguard Starfighter . While neither ships are particular favourites of mine and not models I would have gone out of my way to buy/build , they were both so heavily discounted that I couldn't resist picking them up , if only for " rainy day " builds . Anyhoo , although it hasn't rained , this week I found myself relaxing in the garden and looking for a low pressure therapeutic project . Long story short , out came the fighters . As I said , the ships are not amongst the "classic" Star Wars designs , but as I progressed with the build(s) , I began to warm to the style of the craft , especially the Magnaguard Fighter . Star Wars has always referred to WW2 aircraft in my opinion and this is especially true of this design . It brought to mind the USAF's " P38 Lightning" and while researching , I discovered that the official designation of the ship is in fact the " P38 Rogue Class Starfighter "! As has been stated before , ignoring the "Snap fit" element of the kits and building them as "regular" models pays dividends as they reveal themselves as pretty good models . While filling the seams of the P38 and realising that the ( actually quite nice )factory paint job would have to go , I decided to paint it up as Bounty Hunter Cad Bane's ship , the "Xanadu Blood " , which featured in the Clone Wars episode "Children of the Force " . Why the model wasn't marketed as this version is a bit of a mystery , as Hasbro did so with the toy version . Both models were painted using spray cans I had handy and weathering is being done with pastel chalks . Neither model is finished , but this is how they look after a couple of nights work .

thundergod is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2013, 03:28 PM   #2
blakeh1
Waste Technician

Wow that magna guard fighter looks pretty cool. I didn't have any interest in it before, but seeing these i think I might need to pick one up.

Any idea what scale these might be. I know its Revell, so looking for them to fall into a consistent scale like 1/72, or 1/48th is pretty much a long shot. I had heard that the V-19 was close to 1/72 (could be way off though), and I know nothing about the magna guard fighter
blakeh1 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2013, 06:03 PM   #3
thundergod
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakeh1 View Post
Wow that magna guard fighter looks pretty cool. I didn't have any interest in it before, but seeing these i think I might need to pick one up.

Any idea what scale these might be. I know its Revell, so looking for them to fall into a consistent scale like 1/72, or 1/48th is pretty much a long shot. I had heard that the V-19 was close to 1/72 (could be way off though), and I know nothing about the magna guard fighter
The P38 is a pretty nice design when you have it "in hand" . As I said in the above , the only reason I picked them up was they were on sale for 1.99 due to the boxes being pretty beaten up ! As for scale , judging by the figures , I'd stick my neck out and say yes , they both look pretty close to 1/72nd . But knowing Revell , judging scale from the figures could be less than reliable . I'm currently building their Imperial Shuttle and the figures also appear 1/72nd , BUT the Shuttle is significantly smaller than the old MPC/Airfix kit which ( as far as I remember ) was directly quoted as being 1/72nd ! So basically , your guess is as good as mine .
Old 25-07-2013, 01:41 PM   #4
thundergod
Astrophysics Technician

I've been doing more work on the V-19 , but while doing so , I just wasn't satisfied with the way it was turning out . It dawned on me that the reason was the raised panel lines on the (3) wings . I say "panel lines", but they were more akin to train tracks all over the model ! So , out came a nice sharp chisel blade for my X-Acto and off they came . It wasn't such a bad job , as the kits plastic is quite soft and after a couple of hours , they were all ( more or less ) gone . Rubbing down with sanding pads got the wing surfaces smooth and ready for the new panel lines . After a brief flirtation with the idea of re-cladding the wings with thin sheet styrene , I decided on sticking to the more straightforward technique of re-scribing them . This I did with a bradawl-type attachment and steel rule . Again , this took a surprisingly short time ( about an hour ) and was snag free ( surely something would go wrong soon , I'm not used to jobs going so smoothly ! ) After a little more clean up work with fine pads , I applied a little white from a spray can to see how it was looking .

I'm pleased with the way the wings look now and the next job will be to get some paint on .