Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > Breakaway > Star Wars

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 05-12-2013, 02:57 PM   #1
thundergod
Astrophysics Technician

Default Revell Republic Attack Shuttle "Easy-Kit "

Having recently added to my collection of Revell Star Wars "Easy-Kits" , I thought I'd share a few pics of one "out of the box" . I build these kits as "regular" models , but can't resist putting them together "out of the box" to familiarise myself with the general build and to see what areas need what work etc. The Republic Attack Shuttle is one model I've had my eye on since it's release , as it's a design that I think fits into the "Star Wars Universe" perfectly , a lot more than some of the other Clone Wars era ships . I generally hold fire on buying these kits as more often than not , they get reduced in price and my current financial state means I don't have the funds to spend as much on models as I used to ! Anyway , the model is a good size and has pretty good detail as well as a couple of nice features such as the loading ramp at the front . The only problem is that the two main fuselage sections didn't really want to fit together in a satisfactory manner . This isn't a major problem though , as when I come to the build "proper" , I'll simply snip off the large connecting pins , which will solve this .

thundergod is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2013, 04:47 PM   #2
thundergod
Astrophysics Technician

Got started on painting the Nu-Class Attack Shuttle . This followed the usual technique I have for working on these kits ( mostly ) , which is to mask off the coloured areas ( in this case the red bands on the wings and fuselage ) and spray a couple light coats of my favourite " Imperial Grey " ( Holts Light Grey from a can ) .When this had had 24 hours to dry , I added a pastel "sludge wash" to the panel lines . I then blocked in the red areas with thin coats of Humbrol "Carmine Red" with a flat brush . I didn't go to the trouble of masking and spraying these areas , as I'll be rubbing the whole thing down with a very fine sanding sheet ( between coats) as part of the weathering process .

Old 16-12-2013, 06:45 PM   #3
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

It looks good.
Steve Gerard is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2013, 02:47 PM   #4
thundergod
Astrophysics Technician

Despite saying I was going "clean" with the shuttle , I've decided to go a little dirtied down . I've started by giving the whole ship with an acrylic "sludge wash" . I let this dry for best part of an hour , then I used a damp cloth to remove the excess . I've sort of developed a technique for this type of wash nowadays , which is to be quite "brutal" with rubbing at the surface of the model . As I leave the base coat for at least a week before I apply any washes ( and due partly to me using the automotive paint ) the paint can take a fair bit of punishment and I even attack it with a worn sanding pad . This has the result of adding a lot of "variance" to the paint finish . I've found the technique's not suitable for ALL models , but works well with Star Wars subjects , especially those from the Clone Wars TV show , as I think it captures the look of the animation style quite well . The red "striping" still needs a little work , but at the moment I'm concerned mainly with the main grey areas of the ship .

( Sorry about the crappy pics , they were taken quickly on my phone !)