Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > Breakaway > Star Wars

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 31-12-2014, 05:18 PM   #1
Dorzac
Eagle Pilot

Default DeAgostini Millenium Falcon 1:1 Model part work build from ESB Movie Prop.

http://www.buildmillenniumfalcon.com/

Anyone seen this? Although not a big Star Wars fan, am tempted to collect this, is a pretty big build (808mm long, 596mm wide and 192mm high), just wonder how many issues it will take to complete!

Last edited by Dorzac; 31-12-2014 at 05:21 PM.
Dorzac is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2014, 05:55 PM   #2
Howard
Deputy Commander

Posted this on the rpf some time ago.
From the onset it looks good, but it's not the MR version or close to their accuracy - I had one, believe me.
There's probably a licencing thing going on here - as it's fairly easy with research to produce a replica that is 100% accurate to the Empire filming model. This is not.
It's close, but so's Christmas.
It does have the interior detail which has always been several bones of contention, but at the end of the day the average collector would want a replica with accurate exterior dims - just like our Eagles.
Howard is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2014, 06:16 PM   #3
karr1981
Assistant Commander

100 issues @8.99, so not cheap

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
karr1981 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2014, 06:17 PM   #4
dazzo
Eagle Pilot

Ive read that it was designed by the same guys that did the M.R one?
dazzo is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2014, 06:42 PM   #5
Howard
Deputy Commander

Where did you read that, Daz?
If it was Frank Cerney then okay - but having seeing comp pics with the MR version - it certainly is not 'accurate to the filming model' as stated.

Old 31-12-2014, 06:43 PM   #6
Dorzac
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by karr1981 View Post
100 issues @8.99, so not cheap
Yeah, I did a bit more searching and found this out. Make me wonder what they can fill 100 "magazines" with about the Falcon, especially if its a typical partwork magazine of 16-20 pages each ...
Dorzac is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2014, 08:36 PM   #7
dazzo
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard View Post
Where did you read that, Daz?
If it was Frank Cerney then okay - but having seeing comp pics with the MR version - it certainly is not 'accurate to the filming model' as stated.
I saw it on a forum set up for it over xmas.
dazzo is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 07:16 AM   #8
Howard
Deputy Commander

I've been conducting a little research over this.
For me now, it's a must have model, as the new issue 1 that's in the shops now has improved parts:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vb63W0xlm28#t=13
Old 08-01-2015, 07:38 AM   #9
Boldman
Eagle Pilot

I bought the first part yesterday at WH Smiths just to see what it was like. Included is a 1:1 scale blueprint of the finished model. ITS BLOODY ENORMOUS!!!! Here it is with my Sony Xperia (5" tall) to set the scale:

If iwere to subscribe and build this thing I have no idea where I could display it. They do include a free wall bracket so you could hang it on the wall! This is sadly the biggest single off-putting aspect of it, its just TOO big!

I took a look at the parts that are included in the first issue and there is some nice moulding on the hull panel and you get some pieces of the cockpit, inclding the back wall and a sticker to put on the back wall. What is cunning here is the slots in the back wall will allow light from (I'm assuming) a hidden lamp behind it to shine through...

Also included are some metal pieces that assemble one of the pulse cannons. Here is where I foresee problems as the cannon s are not very well moulded and are in metal!

I don't know exactly what these are cast in but it isn't white metal - I've just hada *go at the cannon nozzle with a file to remove the moulding line you can see in the photo and its was quite tough material. These are also assembled using small screws rather than glue, which means that when its assembled you have a nasty joint line across the back as the fit of the parts isn't particularly impressive:

Boldman is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 01:16 PM   #10
karr1981
Assistant Commander

Thanks Boldman, I might pick up the 1st part then just for the Nice Blueprint, would look nice in a frame I think.

The guns see ma nice port of call to someone looking to make some enhancement parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boldman View Post
I bought the first part yesterday at WH Smiths just to see what it was like. Included is a 1:1 scale blueprint of the finished model. ITS BLOODY ENORMOUS!!!! Here it is with my Sony Xperia (5" tall) to set the scale:

If iwere to subscribe and build this thing I have no idea where I could display it. They do include a free wall bracket so you could hang it on the wall! This is sadly the biggest single off-putting aspect of it, its just TOO big!

I took a look at the parts that are included in the first issue and there is some nice moulding on the hull panel and you get some pieces of the cockpit, inclding the back wall and a sticker to put on the back wall. What is cunning here is the slots in the back wall will allow light from (I'm assuming) a hidden lamp behind it to shine through...

Also included are some metal pieces that assemble one of the pulse cannons. Here is where I foresee problems as the cannon s are not very well moulded and are in metal!

I don't know exactly what these are cast in but it isn't white metal - I've just hada *go at the cannon nozzle with a file to remove the moulding line you can see in the photo and its was quite tough material. These are also assembled using small screws rather than glue, which means that when its assembled you have a nasty joint line across the back as the fit of the parts isn't particularly impressive:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 08-01-2015, 05:35 PM   #11
Howard
Deputy Commander

Just a FYI for the guys that have issue 1.
The pic of the ship on the back of the cardboard parts holder / magazine slot is a pic of the MR version.
Old 09-01-2015, 11:22 AM   #12
Mark42
Chief Eagle Pilot

I bought issue one and had a good look at it last night, it seems like a nice package of stuff thats been put together with a bit of thought..

But I also put the hull piece on the blueprint (as above) and noticed how well it fitted the plan....however when I turned it on its side to compare the surface details they didn't line up at all. So either the fancy highly-detailed plan is way off or the model part is wrong?

Also can't see the point of having 100 magazines about the Falcon, you would have to put a lot of research into it to fill that many pages....or will it just be waffle. I am never impressed by behind the scenes photos that simple say 'ILM staff building Falcon model' when you would expect the massive research to at least be able to simply name the staff in question ... who are Mike Fulmer and Ease Owyeung.

....... S.I.G David Mark Sisson
Mark42 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 01:06 PM   #13
karr1981
Assistant Commander

Picked up my issue 1 today, wont be buying the set but happy with the Blueprints.

Old 09-01-2015, 02:43 PM   #14
Howard
Deputy Commander

It's the blueprint that's off David - just a rough guide, something to establish scale of the completed model I guess.
Agreed, it would be good to name the staff - Ease having working on various ILM projects over the years. Hopefully this will be addressed in later issues - if not, then I'm not too concerned.
For me, it's enough to know that Steve Dysmo (SD Studios of old) of Master Replicas is overseeing this now, providing them with all the info needed to make this replica as good as possible.
Crikey - wouldn't it be great if they approached you for consultation over an 44" or 22" Eagle replica?
Old 14-01-2015, 09:05 PM   #15
Stevo
Alphan

Been thinking about this and signed up for full subscription today. Will be a good project over next couple of years
Stevo is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 14-01-2015, 09:06 PM   #16
Stevo
Alphan

And will also keep me going until I can get my hands on a master replica version!
Stevo is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2015, 06:59 AM   #17
Howard
Deputy Commander

It looks as though this will be more accurate than the MR in certain areas, as when MR scanned the model at the Lucasfilm Archives, several pieces were missing. This was only discovered after the MR model went into production.
The MR is a superb replica, but I had two with identical problems, the second replacement from MR being an artist's proof!
Old 15-01-2015, 10:40 AM   #18
healvis
Communications Officer

From what I have read this is going to be better than the MR Falcon. As Howard says Steve Dymszo is advising, and says that this version will have the missing parts. It will also be lighter with it not being made of nasty polystone and coming in sections will make it easier to paint and replace any parts with original kit parts if your not happy with the molding.
healvis is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2015, 10:49 AM   #19
badsimmonds
Eagle Pilot

I've been wanting a Falcon model for a long time and probably like a lot of people looked at the various models, kits etc available. However I like big models and none of them came up to the size I really liked so when this DeAgostine kit appeared I thought this is it.
Some people are concerned over how accurate it is but to tell the truth I don't really care as it certainly looks good to me and (I have the first two magazines) the parts seem of high quality and finish. Its expensive and will take two years to finish but it fits the bill for me. I haven't made up my mind whether to continue buying the set but I know its the only way I'm going to get a pretty good Falcon, and as somebody said it will be a nice little project and I can do it in the warm instead of freezing in the garage.
badsimmonds is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2015, 11:56 PM   #20
DARKVIEW
Deputy Commander

I've subscribed, watching people build it on the forum made my mind up!! l believe I'm getting 4 issues per month... My girlfriend rolled her eyes when l showed her the blueprint. Bloody big. Think lm just collecting them all then may make it... Damn you DeAgostini!!!!!! It's expensive but an investment if nothing else.

Official website:

Last edited by DARKVIEW; 21-01-2015 at 11:59 PM.
DARKVIEW is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote