Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Main Mission > The Hangar

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 19-05-2006, 04:52 PM   #1
Mark IX Fan
Weapons Technician

Default The Hawk Appreciation Thread.....

In another thread, I ran across several folks who had some less than complimentary things to say about the Mark IX Hawk from "War Games". So I want to hear from all the Hawk fans.

I for one fell in love with this ship, and to this day it remains one of my all time favorite spacecraft designs. As I mentioned, it hits me as a logical extension of craft already in use, such as the SR-71 Blackbird or Stealth Fighter; the Hawk would merely be the space based version.

As for the design and utility factors, while the Eagle may be a Suburban, mainly used for transport of people and cargo, the Hawk is the Corvette, built for speed and maneuverability. And if it's performance in "War Games" is any indication, very capable of a high level of destruction. (Again, I could never buy the Eagle as a combat machine).

As for the model itself, I just found it amazing that Martin Bower built such an intricately detailed piece for use in only one episode (of course he did this all the time!). I don't find it the kitbashing nightmare that others have named, simply because I'm not sharp enough to spot every Harrier or Saturn V kit piece at a glance. It just looks like a thoroughly detailed model to me.

Having said that, I'd probably rate the Hawk as my #2 all time favorite 1999 spacecraft, right behind the Eagle (which was near perfect), and just ahead of the Battlecruiser also seen in "War Games".
Mark IX Fan is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2006, 05:00 PM   #2
the DOCTOR
Computer Technician

I reckon you can guess where I stand on this one: Got to love the HAWK! mean and moody looking, with the firepower to back it up! Don't care if you can see that it was made out of three airfix Saturn rockets, as a six-year-old I wouldn't of been able to tell, it just looked COOL, and it still does!
the DOCTOR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2006, 05:31 PM   #3
tak5haka
Eagle Pilot

Yep - count me in! Having now worked on my first Hawk kit I can say that it looks great next to an Eagle and just ties in the design of Earth-made ships from the series.

I have a few niggles about the design, but it is a mean-looking fighter version of the more utilitarian Eagle, just as it was meant to be.
tak5haka is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2006, 01:04 AM   #4
john_trek
Astrophysics Technician

I've always liked the Hawk. As others have said, it seemed like a logical extension of other Earth technology we saw on the series.

If I were to rank my preferences on Earth ships, the Hawk wouldn't be number 2, but it's in the top 10.

Of course, we only saw 7 Earth ships.

Maybe this should be the topic of another thread, but my general order of likes is:

Eagle
Ultra Probe
Hawk
Meta Probe
Swift
Space Dock
Re-entry Glider
Spine Booster Units
Side Booster Units
Moonbuggy
SuperSwift

Sorry... couldn't help myself. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I was never all that fond of the SuperSwift. It's not so much that I disliked it, I just never really found it worthy of doing cartwheels over.
john_trek is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2006, 07:27 AM   #5
Elric
Astrophysics Technician

I really like the Hawk, always have.

When I first saw it I had no idea what parts it was made from etc.
Now that I do know it still looks ultra cool, inspired use of kit parts!
I wish it had been used in more episodes.

(Actually I wish Space:1999 had been U.F.O. series 2 with Hawks replacing the Interceptors)

I'd rather buy a Hawk from PE than an orange podded Eagle thats for sure!

I'm collecting the parts and info for a large Hawk build and have Chris's (DX-SFX) excellent vac-form Hawk CM parts. It's a long term project as my modelling time is restricted but I can't wait to get started on it.
Chris, Liberator and skyfullofstars have been very helpful in providing info and pictures. Cheers guys!
Elric is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 21-05-2006, 05:19 AM   #6
CR
Science Officer

As for the Hawk, I agree with the positive comments posted so far.

I'm one of those who didn't like the SuperSwift (other than the command module)... and although I like the 'pilot ship' that comes out of the SuperSwift, it looks more like a one-man scout pod to me than a three-man ship. Major scale discontinuity with the whole thing!

John_trek, you forgot one other Earth ship: Voyager 1. (Or didn't it make your list?) And since you listed booster units, which are components rather than ships, how about the atomic mines from "Collision Course"?
CR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2006, 01:01 PM   #7
doon
Communications Officer

The Hawk mk IX is one of my favorites as well Although, I could see a bit of "redesign" applied to it, more so than the Eagle. Perhaps a Mk. X via this thread, Just a thought
doon is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2006, 02:21 PM   #8
tak5haka
Eagle Pilot

I've got plans for a Mk VIII Kestrel ...
tak5haka is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2006, 12:50 AM   #9
john_trek
Astrophysics Technician

CR,

Oops... you are correct, I completely forgot Voyager 1. Now that you mention it, I've never really considered it part of the Earch Technolgy continuum, although it obviously is. I guess if it didn't look like something that went on an Eagle, was related to an Eagle, or docked to an Eagle, I just didn't put it on my mental list

Which would also include the Poenix from "Deaths Other Dominion" ... which we barely saw.

And like others on this thread, I never thought the Hawk looked like a kit bash. You want kitbash? Go take a look at the Interplanetary Space Station and get back to me.
Old 23-05-2006, 09:16 AM   #10
Liberator
Eagle Pilot

I have to say I loved the Hawk. If PE ever did (yeah and pigs do fly) bring one out I'd buy it. In fact I love the majority of space vehicles on 1999. I have 2 airfix hawks. One in the orange and one in the white. I never did paint the cockpit beak white on the orange one - I just don't like the look of that. I even love that 3 legged thing from Earthbound - I'd buy that 2 if PE saw fit.
Liberator is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 18-09-2006, 07:47 AM   #11
Eagle-1

What are some of you guys thoughts about building one "Studio Scale"?

Rob.
  Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2006, 02:05 PM   #12
Mark IX Fan
Weapons Technician

I've got a studio scale Hawk, a replica of the big 30" model built fo rme by Jim Small.

It's not something I'd feel up to attempting myself, but Jim did his usualy fabulous job and this beast is the pride of my collection.

Here's a picture of it parked beside my PE 23" Eagle.....

Old 18-09-2006, 02:32 PM   #13
john_trek
Astrophysics Technician

I do have to make one small objection to that particular studio scale Hawk.

It looks far superior to any of the miniatures built for that episode.

Wait. Perhaps it's a 'fresh out of the dock' ship.

All kidding aside.... I'm in awe. That is beautiful.
Old 18-09-2006, 06:32 PM   #14
MkIXHawk
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle-1
What are some of you guys thoughts about building one "Studio Scale"?

Rob.
Been there, Done that.

http://cmtaylor.members.beeb.net/Hawk.htm
MkIXHawk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2006, 08:35 PM   #15
Eagle-1

Ok, let me clarify.....

Who would like to build one of these for themselves? Not already have built one or (for heaven's sake) buy one, build one for themselves. The largest of the studio scales, complete and as close to Mr. Bowers original as possible?

Like the one I've started, for example.....

Top View
Front View
Angle View

The Command Module you see in those pictures is the first vac-formed assembly from a master I made to make sure all the individual pieces fit properly and to make any necessary adjustments to the following finished Modules. It was very preliminary, so pay no attention to the superglue fumes on the windows. Any adjustments have now been made and I can make as many of these as needed. They are hollow and can be fitted with a cockpit, lights, you name it.

Rob.

Old 20-09-2006, 10:15 AM   #16
Spaceace2001
Alphan

Has anyone ever seen any diagrams or had any ideas about what the interior of the Hawk would look like?

It would seem to have a crew of 2 judging from the layout of the cockpit, the section behind would seem too narrow to allow for anything much more than a walkway/crawlspace.

I wonder if the cockpit would have panels opening in the top to allow the crew to drop into their seats or whether they access the craft further aft and have to crawl to the front?

Presumably this is a pretty cramped ship without the comforts of an Eagle and is intended for short range/duration missions with the minimum of space being wasted.
Spaceace2001 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2006, 12:25 PM   #17
Mark IX Fan
Weapons Technician

Some have speculated that the light gray panel atop the nose cone is an entrance hatch of some sort (although how the guy on the right gets to his seat remains a mystery).

If you look at the bottom, just behind the first set of VTOLs, there appears to be a hatch located there. It would make sense for them to enter the craft through this hatch, then crawl into the cockpit.

Uncomfortable, yes, but again, the Hawk is a war machine, not a luxury craft. WWII bomber interiors were quite hard to navigate through as well....
Old 20-09-2006, 03:35 PM   #18
CR
Science Officer

Roberto Baldassari also speculated that the entry hatch might be there, and made it more obvious on a his set of blueprints: http://www.space1999.net/~eagle/hawk/hawk02.gif

I recently acquired a built-up Airfix Hawk from a resale store in the Seattle, Washington (US) area, thanks to my dad, who'd found it there. I had planned on stripping the paint and fixing any seams to make it look presentable, but I rather like what the kit's original owner did with it. He (or she, I suppose) has it painted in the all-white mode, with some of the raised details picked out in a grey and with black anti-glare panels. The kit is also adorned with various decals that make it look like an Earth-based fighter... I believe the decals were from an anime robot kit, as they're similar to ones I've seen & used from those kits myself. Other than a "hull ID" number just aft of the command module, none of the decals have readable text, so they aren't distracting.
The bottom line is that I like how the all-white Hawk looks, at least in this small scale. Now, though, I don't know if I want to restore the kit or leave it as is. The previous owner did a nice enough job with it that I'd almost hate to undo the work!
If I get a chance to borrow my friend's digital camera in the next couple of weeks, I'll post some pics.
CR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2006, 04:02 PM   #19
Eagle-1

Cr,

If you're thinking the all white version looks a little better, I'm with you there. I plan to build a few. One will certainly be a "no orange" version, just the way it came off Mr. Bowers bench. I suppose I'll build the "orange" version too, but I like the all white version better......personally.

Rob.
Old 20-09-2006, 04:07 PM   #20
Mark IX Fan
Weapons Technician

The all white version would definitely be the "pure" version, since it was the way the craft was originally designed.

My favorite combo is the orange scheme with blacked out glare panels (since all white glare panels make zero sense). That's the way the original model looks today.

I just asked Jim to build mine the way it looked onscreen...