Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > Breakaway

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 22-09-2005, 11:44 PM   #1
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Default TOS Enterprise Project

On behalf of Capt Sci Fi, here are pics of his recently unearthed TOS Enterprise project.

Over to you Capt.

Altogether now:

There's Klingons on the starboard bow, starboard bow, starboard bow....
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2005, 11:58 PM   #2
john_trek
Astrophysics Technician

Not to nitpick, but that's 'Klingons off the starboard bow"

Although I grant you that "on" does put a more interesting visual on the whole lyric.

OK, now that we've got our Con years nostalgia out of the way, what exactly am I looking at? Is someone refurbishing the original 3 Foot Enterprise miniature? (as opposed to the large miniature that the Smithsonian was given)
john_trek is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2005, 12:06 AM   #3
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Quote:
Not to nitpick, but that's 'Klingons off the starboard bow"
Damn! I knew I should have bought the song sheet.

If that was the original three footer, there'd be a squad of FBI dudes converging on Captain Sci Fi's place as we speak. There's some question about whether it was stolen or lent out and never returned but most Trekkies consider finding the 3ft model as the holy grail. Majel Barrett nee Roddenberry would be very interested.

http://members.aol.com/wmccullars/threefoot.html

No, it's a replica started some time ago.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2005, 10:13 AM   #4
Captain Sci-Fi
Commander

Default Enterprise TOS photos

Thanks for sorting the photos for me Chris.

Now a few words of explanation.:

This model was made for a Star Trek Convention (E1 at the Crest Hotel, Liverpool in 1985 - it also appeared on the Multi Coloured Swopshop with Keith Chegwin one Saturday morning in 1986). It was made in about 5 weeks. Construction is fibreglass for the main body components, mahogany for the engines and central heating copper pipe for the skeleton. It is almost 60" from dish to exhaust when assempled. I had never used fibreglass before this project although I used car body filler on a daily basis. Budget... what budget? For the last 20 years this model has lived in a barn pretty much open to the elements until recovered back to my new workshop this summer. Markings were letraset and car body lining tapes. I used what I had to hand or could adapt quickly, the end result made me come out in goosbumps and rewarded all the hard work.

From the top down:

The first photo shows the secondary hull 3/4 view with the incorrect wasp waist/underbelly. I used the only reference I had at the time - the Star Trek Technical Manual by Franz Joseph. Construction was chip board bulkheads and pine stringers to originate the shape. This was then skined with cardboard (mostly from ceral boxes etc) all lashed together with body filler. The different surface colours were cellulose primers left over from different car jobs (I was working at a car body repair shop at the time). Each time I had primer in the spray gun I would blast a few coats on the model. The brown coloured ring at the front was the end from a flower pot. It had the perfect taper and diameter. The three block shapes were balsa wood covered in filler these were then placed in slots on the hull and blended in with filler. A two part fibreglass mould was made with shells made in the moulds. I had no way to register them together so lots of cutting and shaping. I used enlarged photocopies of the plans to cut out profile templates.

Next photo shows a rear 3/4 view with an EMA dome shoved in the rear to represent the shuttlebay doors. I had so little time to make this model that I had to make shortcuts everywhere. The black lines were vinyl tape sold to decorate cars. Useful stuf as the edge was really good, the glue backing was strong and it was sold in many colours and widths.

Next photo I tried to show the copper pipe detail used to for the framework that held everything together. Two 90 degree 1/2" (13mm) elbow joints (yorkshire fitting - the soldering kind) were used to brace the engine pylons and allowed power cables to be conceled (this can be seen more clearly in another photo). The bar across the open front end has a nut epoxied on the back side allowing me to screw the sensor dish assembly in place. The dish itself is lost at the moment, but was made from a cigar tin end with the dish itself from a childs tea set. It was so close in profile that all I did was paint it..! The threaded rod I used to hold all this to the hull was a Radio Shack Ariel. I shudder to think how many generations of our 8 legged friends occupied this part of the model over the years.

The next photo shows the primary hull lower mould (now scrap as it has a really bad warp) it measures some 27" across and was made using the plaster and scraper method. The actual finished parts were damaged beyond repair and were badly warped) The moulds were made to produce one set of panels and not for production work i.e. cheap, quick and "good enough" (Look carefully in the backgroound and you can see the bridge section mould in one of the photos)

The last photo shows the method of building the dorsal connectors between the engines and secondary hull, two copper central heating pipes with balsa sandwiched between them to keep them parallel, the whole lot was skimmed with filler and lots of primer. No time to add the grill type details so I just sprayed it on using some zinc mesh as a mask and outlined with a bic ball point pen. It looked good from a distance. and braced up the solid wood engines perfectly. There are considerable forces exerted in a twisting motion. I was fully intending to rebuild this model with hollow fibreglass shells to reduce weight and some of the stresses on the copper frame. So I broke it down and rubbed down most of the problem areas (which is why there is so little white paint left). One engine is pretty much ready to mould and it would be fairly straight forward to re-shape and correct the secondary hull profile.

Someplace I have photos of the beast on display and when found I will make available to anyone interested. The more I look at this model, the more I want to start working on it again, to correct the details I had no reference to make (now sorted thanks to Chris - cheers mate).

If anyone is interested in getting a set of shells from my moulds let me know. This is not a commercial venture, I am not a trader so cost of materials and return postage is all I need. I have also found my 48" Seaview Submarine model the later 4 window version) and been scratching my chin over that too... Hmmm gonna be busy in the workshop this year...

Any questions feel free to ask.
Captain Sci-Fi is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote