Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Administration Complex > Captain's Toolbox

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 05-05-2017, 01:45 PM   #1
tryptych
Life Support Technician

Default 3D Printing, Kit part database and Rogue One

I recently came across an article with John Knoll, the VFX supervisor on "Star Wars: Rogue One" explaining how they rebuilt CGI models based on the original Episode IV miniatures, and rather than buy tons of kits to have them destroyed, they laser scanned complete kits in their entirety and had them remodelled as 3D objects to be incorporated in bigger designs.

“One of the things that I thought was important from the original film was how the models were made — the famous use of model kit pieces for mechanical detail,” said Knoll. “And I thought we should do our own version of that here because if we didn’t, it was going to happen in an uncontrolled fashion.”
“What we did was confront it head on by buying several of the original model kits on eBay, and we digitally built versions of about 300,” he continued. “And we had a ‘Star Wars’-themed parts library that when the modellers were building something, they were pulling bits and pieces from that library and detailing it to model. Our new models fit very well. And it was worth this investment because there are other ‘Star Wars’ films coming down the line.”

This begs the question, will it one day be available to the public? Or is there a possibility of amateurs doing something similar? I think of this not just for CGI modelling, but "real-world" models where the parts could be 3D printed.

As many of these old kits are disappearing, never to be reissued, might it be a worthwhile cause? Food for thought.
tryptych is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 12:37 PM   #2
moonhugger
Forum Supporter

It would be a good idea; some of the parts would take some effort to reverse engineer and a team of people might be required to do everything needed - for exact replica models. Some one to organise it and get people involved will be the hardest part.

It many cases; it is easier and lower cost to copy the parts with rubber tools and make resins. I have got a photo to hand of one of my tools made for the common parts. But there is a photo of a tool I made of the main engine bell (44"er) and the 3d Printed part on the printer.

I think there are a few cases; where copies are not the done thing! I don't mind.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3325.JPG (166.9 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3398.JPG (192.8 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3462.JPG (88.7 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4170.JPG (175.0 KB, 28 views)
Old 08-05-2017, 12:53 PM   #3
tryptych
Life Support Technician

Yeah, but those don't look like kit parts to me.
I am talking all the old Airfix, Revell and Tamiya stuff along with the harder to get American kits. What "reverse engineering is there? You do a complete laser scan of the sprue. There is some cleaning up of polygons etc, but what you end up with is a 100% perfect digital copy on a database that people can share. Silicone moulds shrink over time and lose quality every time a cast is made. 3D prints allow many materials from polycarbonate, acrylic, polystyrene and sintered metals.

Obviously copyright would be an issue, but I think we can cross that bridge when we come to it, even if they are just held in private store for now simply as a safety archive.
Old 08-05-2017, 12:56 PM   #4
pfleming@jbt.co.uk
Communications Officer

Default Technical Section......

Hi Julian, interested to see your post - what's the third photograph of please? (The red device, mainly) I get mixed up with what's a mould and what's a tool. Apologies for my ignorance, the question arises more out of general interest than something I intend to undertake myself.

As much as it's enlightening to see how new technology assists the model-maker, it's equally fascinating to hear how "traditional" methods still have a place in the 21st century.

Kindest regards

Patrick
pfleming@jbt.co.uk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 02:06 PM   #5
moonhugger
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryptych View Post
Yeah, but those don't look like kit parts to me.
The yellow / beige coloured parts on the cork mats - resin copies of Air fix Gemini / Saturn and Tamiya Tank parts for a few 44" Eagles.

Old 08-05-2017, 02:10 PM   #6
moonhugger
Forum Supporter

Hi Patrick; the bright red thing is the build platform of my B9Creator 3d Printer. The dull Reddish thing below it is a 3d Printed 44" Main engine bell.

That was finished and painted; it was covered in silicone rubber - the translucent block in my hand; the black line is on some tape and that was the guide to cut the rubber tool apart. I do that to save me having to make a physical split and pour rubber twice.
Old 08-05-2017, 02:26 PM   #7
moonhugger
Forum Supporter

Patrick - Check this out; I had some fun with a stop motion app on the phone, a rubber tool opening.

https://vimeo.com/180609552
Old 19-05-2017, 04:24 AM   #8
tryptych
Life Support Technician

That's cute!
Old 26-06-2017, 08:15 PM   #9
swhite40
Travel Tube Technician

There is a small movement toward
3d printing of kit parts for the studio scale builders.

A perfect example is the Aurora Sealab kit as done by Joshua Maruska and available at Grabcad. Joshua has also modeled the transmission from the Entex rotary engine used on the 5 ft. Falcon as well as parts from a Bandai 1/24 Panther as well.

User Minifig has posted files of select parts used in studio scale models from kits like the 1/144 Airfix Saturn 5, and 1/24 Harrier , as well as 3 others

Links to their work are as follows:
http://falcon.maruskadesign.com/

https://grabcad.com/minifig-1
swhite40 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2017, 10:39 AM   #10
tryptych
Life Support Technician

Yes, this is exactly the sort of thing I was discussing. I am personally looking into doing some of the old Airfix trackside models like the Girder Bridge and Footbridge as used countless times in Thunderbirds. I think it would be a worthwhile endeavour because many models will inevitably disappear over time, so it would be worth keeping them for posterity.

As a cautionary tale, I heard that when Aurora went bust they sold all their injection moulding dies to another company and the train carrying them derailed and many were destroyed, including some of the famous Universal Studios horror figures.

Old 28-06-2017, 11:18 AM   #11
Boldman
Eagle Pilot

There is no shortage of Girder bridge kits, they are still being produced by Dapol Kitmaster, I've got 2 or 3 in teh stash and they aren't expensive. What would be useful would be scaled down versions - for my 22" Imai TB2 I had to scratch build scaled down girder bridge plates, beams and footings.

Boldman is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2017, 10:22 AM   #12
tryptych
Life Support Technician

Yes, I know of the Dapol stuff, but in my case I needed it for CGI modelling.
Also, with 3D printing, you would have no problem scaling the model to whatever size you wanted without loss of detail.
Old 10-07-2017, 07:24 PM   #13
swhite40
Travel Tube Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryptych View Post
Yes, this is exactly the sort of thing I was discussing. I am personally looking into doing some of the old Airfix trackside models like the Girder Bridge and Footbridge as used countless times in Thunderbirds. I think it would be a worthwhile endeavour because many models will inevitably disappear over time, so it would be worth keeping them for posterity.

As a cautionary tale, I heard that when Aurora went bust they sold all their injection moulding dies to another company and the train carrying them derailed and many were destroyed, including some of the famous Universal Studios horror figures.
Not so much destroyed as dinged. What most people don't know is the owner of Revell/ Monogram at the time would buy old model companies molds and have them destroyed so no one could reissue a kit and compete for shelf space with his kits. This is what happened to a number of the "train wreck" molds including the Sealab kits mold.

Word was that the train wreck excuse was used to get rid of most of the Aurora molds as well as a few other s that "were" on the train.
swhite40 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote