Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Main Mission > Launch Pad

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 08-08-2013, 05:49 PM   #1
Raytheon
Life Support Technician

Default 44" Eagle build...yeah another one of 'em.

To get things out the way first, I honestly am not a fan of the show as such but love the design and tell it like I see it so...

Got handed this build to do.
Mostly one could say, it's a 'kit build' as I have a pile of pre-made parts. At least that was the idea in the beginning.

Resin CM, gear side pods and passenger pod were from the AB models kit I think, others round here may know better. They came to me sort of finished so I can only assume they were part of a previously finished Eagle.

Brass, alloy and steel sprung landing gear from I know not whom but they are bloody lovely bits of kit.

Aluminium turned main engine bells, VTOL thrusters and RCS thrusters, all beautifully done stuff!

Various resin castings going from 'good' to 'may need replacing' to 'binned'.

Brass spine and cages, again from I know not whom and they range from 'need some work' to 'bloody artrocious'.

And finally, a rake of extra brass bits for the spine/cage/CM connecting, all of which is well up to snuff I must say.

The warts and all WIP log on my site is up to page 2 but here's the opener:
http://www.ianlawrencemodels.com/wip44eagle.html

So then, the client has not asked for a specific Eagle. I know because I asked so this will not be a by the book build. The detailing in the cages is going to be rebuilt to my own designs.
Which is to say greeblied to the hilt.

Somewhere or another, I am sure I still have the moulds for the pilot figures I did for the likely as not grossly inaccuruate ones I built years ago but we'll see.
That will mean a trip to the loft AKA the place model parts go to die, not something I enjoy but such is life.

Ok then, the thread pics:
So what me have to work with...

So then, the rough build brief:
Build an Eagle, free reign on the interior cage detailing, lit cockpit, lit engines and a release system for the pod to allow differing pods that I will build to be attached/detached as client sees fit.

So in short, an Eagle that will not be of the studio model variety but I do as asked so there one has it.

Oh, there was no frame included for the rear tanks and engine bell fitment so making my own, the first part of which is covered on page 2 of the site WIP log.
As are the close ups of the supplied cages which are beyond what I would consider worth the bother to sort out, so will be making fresh ones meself.

A couple of other models nearing completion so when done and gone, this will be getting my full attention lord save us all

That's the lot for now, take care of yaselves out there people.
Raytheon is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:29 AM   #2
jeb1138
Astrophysics Technician

That look great so far, i like to share a few of these shot over on the sci-fi modeling facebook along with a link to your site, they would get a kick out of this build. Let me know if thats ok, again great build so far.
jeb1138 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:00 AM   #3
Raytheon
Life Support Technician

It is indeed ok, share the pics around as you see fit Jeb
Old 05-06-2014, 07:15 PM   #4
Raytheon
Life Support Technician

And dragging this thread back up, kicking and screaming, much like the poster

Ok, finally off the ground with page 3, first replacement cage frame with much lathe milling of fish mouths on tube ends going on.

One down, one to go then on to the cruciform for the tank and engine bell holding stuff, spine jigs and the cage frame and shelf interior blocks and detail parts to build and cast.

All good teeth gnashing fun in a masochistic sort of way.
Enjoy!
Old 05-06-2014, 07:34 PM   #5
moonhugger
Forum Supporter

Nice work; lovely brass work - you have some experience soldering?
I have just been looking in to brass quotes to do the same. I haven't soldered anything for twenty five years when I did a bit of silver soldering as an apprentice. Err... What to do?

What could possibly go wrong?!

Old 23-11-2014, 04:38 PM   #6
Raytheon
Life Support Technician

Apologies for the lack of reply Moonhugger and the serious lack of updates to this.
Long story short, computer and health problems seriously giving me a case of the galloping hooray but clawing my way back in to this and other things.

All explained in slightly expanded detail on my site but what the hell, onward with an update!

Page 4, Cage Frame Interior Detail Parts.
http://www.ianlawrencemodels.com/wip44eagle4.html

3D printed base plates, printed in basic format to give them some surface texture rather than flat for a bit of visual interest such as it is.
That lot with mucho greeblies and primer slopped on.

And with the thread pics for those who don't want to go clicking links as I know some do not which is fair enough.

Door plate.

A slight improvement over the parts that I was handed.

Top, bottom, side and shelf parts.

End plate opposite door and shelf screw hole cover plates.

Dry fit assembly. Slight ship in a bottle routine but they fit with only a minor amount of shoving.

Much more still to do once these are cast, the extra piping and wiring rig still to be worked out but getting there with a whole heap o' stuff still to attend to but getting somewhere finally.

Take care all!
Old 24-11-2014, 01:41 AM   #7
Eaglelover
Computer Technician

Wow is that nicely detailed!
Eaglelover is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2014, 09:28 AM   #8
pfleming@jbt.co.uk
Communications Officer

Default Details, details, details....

Raytheon, what a tremendous display of pictures. All of that detailing looks wonderful, and (to the untrained eye at least) the soldering of the cages appears spot-on. I'm sure this will turn out to be another 44" Eagle of the highest quality. Keep posting those gorgeous pictures please.....

Kindest regards

Patrick
pfleming@jbt.co.uk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2014, 01:41 PM   #9
moonhugger
Forum Supporter

Nicely done.
I still haven't even thought about brass work yet.
I would hope to get somewhere near what you have done, but expect slightly better than where you started from. I have viewed you site a few times and the more I look at the soldering attempts made before you got on, the more I keep putting it off!

Julian
Old 25-11-2014, 07:26 PM   #10
Raytheon
Life Support Technician

Thank ya kindly people
Just another one of my greeblie infested monstrosities but it meets with the man's approval so far so onward and all that stuff.

Well the soldering is just a matter of practice and then some. The bloody fish mouth cutting thing is always fun, wish I'd had a proper lathe/reference pics/online info and everything else that goes with it when this somewhat inaccurate here and there beast...

And it's resulting brethren came to be in the mid 1990's but it was what it was.

Now all that framework, or more specifically the fish mouth things were filed out by hand, I still have the same rat tail file would you believe and the bugger still cuts cleanly.

Anyways, the soldering thing was just a try and see, I would urge anyone to just have a go and see what happens with scrap pipe as I did to get the gist of what goes on. As flush as possible joints seem to be the key from what I've learned and to be honest, close enough is sometimes not good enough but it depends on how bloody minded and/or insane you happen to be.

For me, it's very on both most of the time so I just roll with it and see what happens.

For those who have never done it but want to:
It will result in some wastage early on.
It will test your patience.
It will result in teeth gnashing/hair pulling/Anglo-Saxon oaths usage...But...
You will finally crack the problem.
Your understanding of geometry with relation to joint angles will increase considerably.
You will find it's not as difficult as it seems.
You will find any brand of self assembly furniture an absolute pushover after completing an Eagle framework.
You will feel justifiably proud of the results on both counts.
End of.

Take care all!

Old 27-03-2016, 12:47 PM   #11
Raytheon
Life Support Technician

OK. long time no post I know but dragging this thing back up kicking and screaming, here we go....

Updates:
Page 5, casting the cage frame detail plates and side pod print mesh prep.

http://www.ianlawrencemodels.com/wip44eagle5.html

Page 6, Side pods bottom and top 3D printed, Passenger pod printed, assembled and primed.

http://www.ianlawrencemodels.com/wip44eagle6.html

The necessary or otherwise thread pics...

Open faced and closed moulds.

Castings a plenty. Side shelves.

Large flat bits.

Slightly smaller flat bits.

Side pod mesh messing about.

Passenger pod mesh.

Printed pod bottoms and tops.

Passenger pod parts printed, assembled, filled where needed, sanded, detailed and primed.

Texturing on some parts is intentional, as requested by client to up the detailing ante so that's part of it.

More to come once I get it sorted
Take care all!
Old 28-03-2016, 05:49 PM   #12
Crimson Binome
Communications Officer

Turning out a great build there
Crimson Binome is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2016, 10:46 AM   #13
moonhugger
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raytheon View Post
Anyways, the soldering thing was just a try and see, I would urge anyone to just have a go and see what happens with scrap pipe as I did to get the gist of what goes on. As flush as possible joints seem to be the key from what I've learned and to be honest, close enough is sometimes not good enough but it depends on how bloody minded and/or insane you happen to be.
Not to hi-jack you thread. Thanks for the above; it is working out ok for me but you are right, close fits make the work easier.

I like the printer "in-fill" it does add something to the model. Well done for adding you own touch; very brave, many would insist on "studio".

Thanks for the updates; I was on your site a while back for reference.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3373.JPG (151.6 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3372.JPG (78.0 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3371.JPG (122.6 KB, 32 views)
Old 29-03-2016, 01:11 PM   #14
cratercritter
Geological Technician

This thread is so cool. Love all the intricate details.
cratercritter is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2016, 06:18 AM   #15
Eaglelover
Computer Technician

Nice work, the texturing is quite a nice touch!

Old 30-03-2016, 08:30 PM   #16
Raytheon
Life Support Technician

I thank you kindly all, it's much appreciated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonhugger View Post
Not to hi-jack you thread. Thanks for the above; it is working out ok for me but you are right, close fits make the work easier.
Nay prob and your brass work is looking good, keep that up and you should have no prob getting the framing out. It's not only pretty to look at when done (and almost a shame to paint after a bit of polishing) but knowing it's something you have done yourself makes it that much more special...even to jaded old farts like me.
Quote:
I like the printer "in-fill" it does add something to the model. Well done for adding you own touch; very brave, many would insist on "studio".
Same here and so does the fella who will eventually get this beastie. Well 'studio' is certainly something to shoot for and by no means a easier than what I'm doing. In fact I'd say it's a tad more difficult to get it all correct but I feel that sometimes, a little different is needed in a display model rather than a replica of an effects miniature.
But in the end it comes down to what the modeler or client wants and that got thrashed out with this one before I even started so it's all good.

Quote:
Thanks for the updates; I was on your site a while back for reference.
You are most welcome!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cratercritter View Post
This thread is so cool. Love all the intricate details.
Thanks and glad you like the greeblage, always a fun thing to muck about with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglelover View Post
Nice work, the texturing is quite a nice touch!
Thanks. Oddly enough, the texturing was an unintentional thing from the printing. Seemed a shame to waste it and the man also gave it the ok so winning and grinning hereabouts.
Old 01-04-2016, 05:00 PM   #17
Neo-Uk
Computer Technician

Bit jealous, I'd love to tackle one of these.
Neo-Uk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 09:38 PM   #18
Eaglelover
Computer Technician

That just looks fantastic! I am glad too that you are going to give it to me, how nice of you!
Old 08-04-2016, 03:14 PM   #19
Eagle-one
Waste Technician

Fantastic and amazing build!
Eagle-one is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2017, 05:40 PM   #20
Raytheon
Life Support Technician

Apologies for the lack of answers and updates gang, stuff both modeling and otherwise intruding but that's how it be. Dusting this off, update time such as it is.

Linky to site page:
Page 7,spine frame formers and display base plan.

And them edited highlights thread pics thing.
Block formers.

Brass pipe for said formers all cut and milled up.

Thick walled stuff for the collars.

The rest is just the bog standard 6.35mm thin walled stuff.

Spine center piece parts.

Slotted on and nice snug joints.

Line up, solder, repeat until done.

Long bits of proper 6mm diameter tube in the jog blocks, frames slotted on to roughly the right places and the lot in the rail jig.

Much still to be done, cut, soldered etc. but getting there.
The display stand is another matter, the client wants something like this...

So scaling up, we get a lump in the order of so 48" long, 24" wide and 12" high.
A very swift and rough scribble plan to get to grips with what will be required. Had to draw it up on 20 sheets of A4 taped together as didn't have a big enough single sheet to hand.

And considering the size, I'm going to have to detail the living @$&% out of it. Oh and lighting in the pad to show off the Eagle of course.

Which will be a real laugh riot will it not?

More to come ASAP!