Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 09-09-2013, 01:23 PM   #1
JamieA
Waste Technician

Lightbulb GF1: Black Horizon

Hello all! Here's the synopsis for the first book for you... comments welcome.

BLACK HORIZON

At the opening of the Carrington Hotel’s newest property - the Sky-High - an air display goes horribly wrong. Weeks after losing his father in a climbing accident, 16-year old Ben Carrington is horrified to watch as his own mother dashes for the elevator, bent on performing a high-rise rescue. Also watching is Jason Truby, charismatic software tycoon and secret founder of the world’s swiftest rescue agency, GEMINI FORCE.

It’s not easy to persuade Caroline Carrington to join forces with GEMINI FORCE, but when her own rescue agency goes bankrupt, she agrees.

Adjusting to his new life among the crack team of pilots and engineers, Ben struggles to prove himself. The world of rescue can be cruel. All too soon he’s facing death in the most desperate circumstances. Long before he’s ready, an explosion at oil platform Horizon Alpha in the Gulf of Mexico blackens the skies, and GEMINI FORCE is called to action.

If you'd like to get behind GF1 and help us get this book completed and published, then head over to the Kickstarter page! Any pledge from £1 helps us.

And finally - thanks Bernie & Chris at ETF for putting this special area together!
JamieA is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 01:52 PM   #2
boatshewsd2
Life Support Officer

Default Welcome, Gemini!!

Every journey begins with a first step...
boatshewsd2 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:59 AM   #3
karr1981
Assistant Commander

welcome to ETF Jamie, look forward to seeing and hearing more

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
karr1981 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 05:04 PM   #4
Howard
Deputy Commander

Sounds very interesting - but very similar to Thunderbirds, in its core concept.
Howard is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 01:16 AM   #5
ldo
Travel Tube Technician

Default What Else is There?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard View Post
...but very similar to Thunderbirds, in its core concept.
Seriously, if you are going to set up some kind of secret organization that has access to lots of cool, high-tech shiny whooshy blasty hardware, how many different reasons could there be for it to exist?

Assuming it is not out to be the primary aggressor against others (space pirates?), then it must be some kind of defensive organization. Either defence against malicious attacks from others (e.g. SHADO in UFO), or defending against, and rescuing people from, mistakes made by others (International Rescue in Thunderbirds).

Those are really the only main possibilities. So everything has to be a variation on one of those themes.
ldo is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2014, 02:29 AM   #6
boatshewsd2
Life Support Officer

A longtime Anderson hallmark, has been doing something different with a familiar formula...so let's wait and see, hmm?
Old 10-04-2014, 06:17 PM   #7
Howard
Deputy Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldo View Post
Seriously, if you are going to set up some kind of secret organization that has access to lots of cool, high-tech shiny whooshy blasty hardware, how many different reasons could there be for it to exist?

Assuming it is not out to be the primary aggressor against others (space pirates?), then it must be some kind of defensive organization. Either defence against malicious attacks from others (e.g. SHADO in UFO), or defending against, and rescuing people from, mistakes made by others (International Rescue in Thunderbirds).

Those are really the only main possibilities. So everything has to be a variation on one of those themes.
Seriously - no.
In fiction you cannot and most certainly should not limit yourself to main possibilities.
Your very statement 'main' points towards others, which should be explored to extend the core idea, and move it away from paths well trodden.
Now, don't get me wrong - I'm all for a new series from the Anderson stable.
All I'm saying is that the core idea is not an original idea, and something a little more unexplored would further the subject material.

Take a look at Jamie's interview in issue 247 of SFX, page 28.
This really says it all - mentioning Thunderbirds twice.

Last edited by Howard; 10-04-2014 at 06:20 PM.
Old 10-04-2014, 10:58 PM   #8
ldo
Travel Tube Technician

What other possibilities would there be?

Perhaps a Star-Fleet-style operation, ostensibly for scientific exploration but run along militaristic lines and operating craft with a full complement of offensive weaponry?

Enquiring minds would like to know.
ldo is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 12:04 PM   #9
Howard
Deputy Commander

Other possibilities?
Well, I guess that's down to the writers' working on the show's writing bible, and the first few episodes.

For me, exploration of the oceans is still an interesting platform for Earth based storytelling.
All the yet to be discovered life, the ruins of ancient settlements - perhaps there's a few still thriving somehow, deep beneath the surface...
If there is a civilization/s hiding away - the obvious questions are why, for how long, how do they travel, what's their political/religious standpoints, their social structure.
Could we (or an investigative team) find themselves in a position to perhaps help these people - learn from them - adapt their technology to our own, gain their trust?
Is their civilization extensive - running globally beneath the oceans?
Why did they decide to hide / live down their?
What is their origin - perhaps they descend from the dominant Martian species, and they've adopted their way of living (when Mars was bountiful with oceans).

I don't know.
What I do know is that a standard scenario such as: Millionaire + boredom = Benevolent Secret Organisation = lots of cool hardware = spectacle for viewer, is (IMHO) old hat.
Audiences will soon lose interest, as they've become far more picky over the years, having been spoilt by some superb shows.
Old 02-05-2014, 12:38 PM   #10
Odahs
Astrophysics Technician

In my opinion there is plenty of room for another rescue organisation, the teaser above has worked for me, I want more! Why not have a world of the near future with several independent rescue organisations, it sounds FAB. Redoing Thunderbirds has everyone crying that the vehicles are not the same, Gemini Force can use the old formula but with new ideas.

It's like saying James Bond is old hat... it is however a formula that will always work.
Odahs is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2014, 12:52 PM   #11
Odahs
Astrophysics Technician

PS I think a fantastic rework of UFO would see a corporate body making a complete mess of protecting us from the aliens with new hardware and keeping the whole shebang quiet -

Only for an older and wiser Paul Foster to come out of retirement to head a band of young SHADO staff, that would be just great!

Foster would of course by now have taken on the persona of Straker, having run SHADO in its last days up to the disastrous take-over by the corporate morons.

Just wait for that scene when it's all gone to pot (yet unknown to the world SHADO is back in operation) and a rebuilt Sky 1 bursts out of the water to save the day - gold dust, that is what made Gerry Anderson exciting, it wasn't the formula, it was the suspense.

You could pad it out nicely with them finding all the old original UFO hardware it deep storage somewhere and bring it back to life... blimey I might start writing it myself!

Last edited by Odahs; 02-05-2014 at 01:03 PM.
Old 05-05-2014, 03:18 PM   #12
Howard
Deputy Commander

Odahs - that sounds like a great treatment idea!
Perhaps Shado was disbanded - following a halt of UFO sightings.
Now however, they've started again...
I love the idea that although the equipment that was used in the 1980s was sufficient for purpose at the time, the technology has moved on - the designs need to be updated, but the core vehicles will remain the same.
Imagine an older Foster on a cruise - enjoying his early retirement - only to see (as you mentioned above) Sky 1 bursting out of the water. He flies back to the U.K. from the next port of call to see what the hell's going on.
Old 05-05-2014, 03:39 PM   #13
Odahs
Astrophysics Technician

I've started on the 'brainstorming' for the idea, absolutely never written a work of fiction in my life but it seems to be flowing quite nicely when I'm in the mood.

There will be plenty of links to weave back into the original series.

One of the fun things was working out relative ages of the characters. Though we have sadly lost far too many of the original actors, the characters they played could well still be alive living in a retirement home somewhere in the near future. Say around 2020 if one assumes the actor's age at the time as the bench mark.

I've worked out which year Straker retired (military retirement age) and Foster took over command.

Sadly, in no part Foster's fault (though he doesn't see it that way), S.H.A.D.O declined throughout his command of just under a decade, until it was disbanded at his retirement. It's something Foster has never really gotten over....
Old 06-05-2014, 02:40 PM   #14
Howard
Deputy Commander

This is great.
Your last line is an indication of characterization - one of the most important aspects of fiction.
I really hope you continue to develop this concept - and to be honest it shows a great deal of promise, understanding of the core material and dedication to the Anderson heritage.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:44 AM   #15
hellobud1
Alphan

Didn't Gerry Anderson lose the rights to Thunderbirds, so maybe this was his way of making a Thunderbirds like show, without getting into copyright issues, and with fresh characters? I don't have any insider knowledge, just me speculating! Anyway, whatever his motive, I can't wait for this, it looks like a really exciting project!
hellobud1 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 02-06-2014, 12:38 AM   #16
Ham Salad
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldo View Post
Scientific exploration?

Actually, I can think of lots of reasons...how many reasons do such things exist in the real world, anyhow?

Let's see...

Police forces/policing organizations have such things. ..so that runs the gamet between rescue, preventative, protective, criminal apprehension, border control, etc. etc.

Military and paramilitary organizations do too.

Explorers do.

Engineers do: lots of the disaster in the original thunderbirds were the result of engineers/ working operations gone awry.

Governments do...for a variety of reasons.
1. policing
2. intelligence
3. transport
4. command & control
5. national security

medical operations have them too...

A little though and lots of possibilities and variations on sub-catagories come to mind....

All you have to do is come up with a particular dangerous job that might need to done in the future, and then consider powerful, rapid or armed requirements.

For example :

NARRATION:
In the near future, the actions of the ANTEATER, a powerful underground hacking organization have rendered the national benefit office s inoperative! Millions of people will be issued the wrong checks...within days, the economy could collapse....unless

A HUGE ROCKET POWERED craft bursts form an underground silo hidden beneath a secret IRS FACILITY.

Rushing to the scene, the

ACCOUNTJETS!

A crack team of Certified chartered accountants , trained to handle any actuarial emergency! They race to the scene! WILL THEY BE IN TIME?

Last edited by Ham Salad; 02-06-2014 at 12:54 AM.
Ham Salad is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2014, 11:09 PM   #17
boatshewsd2
Life Support Officer

Default Mmm...Coconut Cake!

I've been browsing through MG Harris' excellent article Channeling Gerry Anderson - Writing Gemini Force One, over on the Anderson-website blog; and enjoyed it very much. What a towering creative challenge, indeed...

Coconut cake, hm? I'm hungry already... Made the old-fashioned way, from scratch, I hope?

One of the great qualities of any Anderson program is that of a perennial (sic); that is, it does not "date." Doesn't really matter when you first discovered it - during the 60s (like me), or right up to this very moment - it stands on its own feet with its own unique continuity.

So, bring on the cake! Why ever not? Could be there's a certain little backstory there, just waiting to be revealed...