Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > Breakaway > Dr Who

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 27-04-2010, 05:24 PM   #1
ChrisofEDF
Medical Technician

Default The new Dalek

A work in progress picture more or less, still have the back to do, might try a few color schemes as well, hope you like.

I must confess after modelling the design its growing on me much more, except for that vent at the back.
ChrisofEDF is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2010, 06:22 PM   #2
Crimson Binome
Communications Officer

Model looks great - not sold on the new shape yet I think the vent might have looked better at the front plus the "bulge" at the back isn't very flattering
Crimson Binome is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2010, 06:50 PM   #3
pjskeldon
Communications Officer

Hate the new design, but love Daleks - need a psychiatrist.
The Sun has a pretty good shot of the back of Blue Dalek here.

By the way, what software are you using? I'm having difficulty getting the 'balls' placed accurately (without manually placing each one) in Softimage and Maya. Any tips?

Phil.
pjskeldon is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2010, 08:07 PM   #4
ChrisofEDF
Medical Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjskeldon View Post
Hate the new design, but love Daleks - need a psychiatrist.
The Sun has a pretty good shot of the back of Blue Dalek here.

By the way, what software are you using? I'm having difficulty getting the 'balls' placed accurately (without manually placing each one) in Softimage and Maya. Any tips?

Phil.
Seeing as i have the ability to take the bulge away they really do look great without it, i wonder what is for.

Don't worry i love them too, making the Comet Miniatures Dalek along side this and accidentally severed the tip of my finger on a stanly blade. Suffering for art much?

Cheers for the link it'l help, I use VUE 8 and simply 3d, ive never used maya but all i do is copy and paste the set of 4 retaining the y Axis and shift them horizontally into position, hope it helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
Wholey crap! I had no idea!

After Mike Tucker's subtle excellently-detailed upgrade had it so right, they go and do this?!!

Lego Daleks!!
Sorry should have probably put "spoilers" in the thread title

I have a feeling we'll need to see it in action before we like it more.
Old 27-04-2010, 08:21 PM   #5
lunadude
Travel Tube Technician

Good article with lots of concept art, out at io9.
http://io9.com/5519618/reinvention-of-the-daleks
lunadude is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 27-04-2010, 08:22 PM   #6
pjskeldon
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisofEDF View Post
Seeing as i have the ability to take the bulge away they really do look great without it, i wonder what is for.
According to the new Doctor Who magazine (421) that's just dropped through my letterbox today...

Page 55

"There is also now the back section or spine to the new Dalek, which I suggested would open up to produce various different weapons, which could swing round the mid-section to replace the regular weapons, which was really a suggestion for future opportunities. It's there if the writers want to use it."
Peter McKinstry - "...the man behind the multi-coloured menaces."

So Swiss-Army Daleks now is it?
pjskeldon is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2010, 08:40 PM   #7
alfalfa
Communications Officer

The hot assistant, Mr Potato head and the same monsters week in week out. My kids are sick of Cybermen and Daleks.

At least mix it up with some Silurians, Ice Warriors and Sea Devils. OR, you could come up with some different NEW monsters.

Nice render BTW.
alfalfa is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2010, 09:21 PM   #8
Knight1966
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunadude View Post
Good article with lots of concept art, out at io9.
http://io9.com/5519618/reinvention-of-the-daleks
Images 7/10 don't look too bad and the 'hump' is less pronounced, it appears the builders misread the concept artists drawing perhaps.
Knight1966 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2010, 09:29 PM   #9
Interceptor6
Astrophysics Technician

Still haven't seen the new D's in action, as our DVR didn't record(or the cable company screwed up) on Saturday. Odd look to them, hope they s'plain the hunchback.
The heavy use of primary colors make them look "candy-coated" lends itself to candy sales~!~
OOoohhh!... i want the lemon Dalek!!
Interceptor6 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2010, 09:46 PM   #10
alfalfa
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interceptor6 View Post
Still haven't seen the new D's in action, as our DVR didn't record(or the cable company screwed up) on Saturday. Odd look to them, hope they s'plain the hunchback.
The heavy use of primary colors make them look "candy-coated" lends itself to candy sales~!~
OOoohhh!... i want the lemon Dalek!!
MMMM, Dalek Crunchies.
alfalfa is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 28-04-2010, 01:22 AM   #11
Interceptor6
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfalfa View Post
MMMM, Dalek Crunchies.
Bet you can't "exterminate" just one!!
Interceptor6 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2010, 06:33 AM   #12
theprofessor
Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight1966 View Post
Images 7/10 don't look too bad and the 'hump' is less pronounced, it appears the builders misread the concept artists drawing perhaps.
Totally agree. Image 7 is definitely cool looking in a retro way. Now, just drop the primary colored Daleks and go with silver, dark grey or black and I'm in. Though to be honest, Moffat could go two seasons with no Daleks and I would be a very happy man. I gotta go with everybody else on this--I'm sick of Daleks and anything to do with them. RTD used them to death. "Time of the Angels" and even "Beast Below" worked because they brought in fresh ideas. The new Dalek episode, not so much!
theprofessor is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2010, 10:20 AM   #13
ChrisofEDF
Medical Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjskeldon View Post
"There is also now the back section or spine to the new Dalek, which I suggested would open up to produce various different weapons, which could swing round the mid-section to replace the regular weapons, which was really a suggestion for future opportunities. It's there if the writers want to use it."
Peter McKinstry - "...the man behind the multi-coloured menaces."

So Swiss-Army Daleks now is it?
That might be interesting, i hope the midsection can turn, there appendages look pretty ridgid, more so than the origionals. I wonder how long it will take them to get cold feet and rewrite the Dalek- Victory of the Daleks ones back in.

Did a few more renders, one on an alien planet and one with more tradiional colors, enjoy.

Old 28-04-2010, 05:50 PM   #14
eaglemk7
Chef

I'm not sold on the new dalek designs myself. They look like something from Ikea.
eaglemk7 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2010, 06:14 PM   #15
Slate Mcleod
Communications Officer

I can't help thinking that this "new" Dalek design actually has origins here...

...except the one in the pic is far better in my opinion! This design goes way back and the full size prop has been in fan circles some time now. Note the ball joint on the eye-stalk just like the "new" Daleks and the large "ring" around the weapons boxes and enlarged "fender". More images here :

http://www.scifiscoop.com/news/dalek...dalek-in-town/

Just goes to prove the fan built creations are just as good...if not better designs than the BBC ones.

Slate
Slate Mcleod is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 29-04-2010, 08:06 AM   #16
les1001
Waste Technician

hate the new daleks, not menacing at all.don't you just want to cuddle one?
les1001 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2010, 08:51 AM   #17
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slate Mcleod View Post

Just goes to prove the fan built creations are just as good...if not better designs than the BBC ones.
Too right. I've just seen that video of the life size RC Storm Dalek. That looks the dogs! More importantly, it looks authentic.

So, when are BBC going to replace K9 with the Noo Noo?
29390 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2010, 09:25 AM   #18
ChrisofEDF
Medical Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by les1001 View Post
hate the new daleks, not menacing at all.don't you just want to cuddle one?
Well arguably how menacing they are is all down to how they're Directed. For me they lost most of they re credibility and menace as soon as they hit color with the possible exception in Genesis and the prison attack in Resurrection (until they get blown up). They got some of the menace back in Dalek and Parting of the Ways but since then they've been a bit of a joke.

So far all the Victory Daleks have done is cower at a Jammie doger and run away, they can be menacing depending on what they do and how they're shown.

Last edited by ChrisofEDF; 29-04-2010 at 09:28 AM.
Old 29-04-2010, 12:11 PM   #19
ChrisofEDF
Medical Technician

And to help me prove my point i have yet another render, in yellow to make it harder.

Old 29-04-2010, 06:56 PM   #20
EMPEROR DALEK D L
Travel Tube Technician

Just to clear things up these new Daleks come from an alternative time line and have nothing to do with the glories of my race

Seriously though ummmm I quite like them but wish that the middle section was less pronounced and the back hump that makes them look like the poor models Dapol came up with years ago was not there. In fact in many ways these new Daleks look exactly like Dapol Daleks.

The only element of the most recent Dalek design that I liked was the central section ability to rotate thus facilitating rearward firing. Other than that though the recent Daleks lacked the identification between ranks that the colour coding allowed. All Daleks are colour coded to denote rank and function so the new Dalek design takes us back to that. I for one welcome that.

However this season I really fear for the Silurians Having seen a few clips they look to be another joke monster...there was imho nothing wrong with the original design. God help the Ice Warriors if they come back at some point.

Back to the new series, full of plot holes, silly story lines rubbish monster so far though part 1 of the weeping angels return was quite good.

I had high hopes for Steve Moffat so far they have not been realised. Spitfires attacking a Dalek battlecruiser what a joke ..a few moments could have been taken to introduce Dalek prototype Spitfires, with Dalek disuptors and space flight capability.

Anyway time will tell if the rest of this season is as bad as it has been so far. On a positive note I like Matt Smith.

Regards Neil
EMPEROR DALEK D L is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Tags
dalek, doctor