Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > Breakaway > Dr Who

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 30-05-2010, 08:11 AM   #41
sigspace
Weapons Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slate Mcleod View Post
I can't help thinking that this "new" Dalek design actually has origins here...

...except the one in the pic is far better in my opinion! This design goes way back and the full size prop has been in fan circles some time now. Note the ball joint on the eye-stalk just like the "new" Daleks and the large "ring" around the weapons boxes and enlarged "fender". More images here :

http://www.scifiscoop.com/news/dalek...dalek-in-town/

Just goes to prove the fan built creations are just as good...if not better designs than the BBC ones.

Slate
WOW! I love this design. It is so right.... as for the new stuff.!! what are they thinking about? its rubbish.
SIGSPACE
sigspace is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2010, 01:55 PM   #42
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

Perhaps the production designer for the new DOCTOR WHO was eating a bag of M&Ms while redesigning the DALEKS?
Steve Gerard is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2010, 04:29 PM   #43
TonyB
Forum Supporter

LOL M&M Daleks, although I feel it might be more to do with selling even more Dalek merchandise though.
TonyB is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2010, 05:18 PM   #44
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyB View Post
LOL M&M Daleks, although I feel it might be more to do with selling even more Dalek merchandise though.
Absolutely....merchandising...merchandising.....

I am waiting to see a merchandising tie-in TV commercial with the M&Ms running away from the Daleks(yelling "exterminate!")...

Hey, are those M&Ms stuck all over the lower sides of the Daleks?

Last edited by Steve Gerard; 30-05-2010 at 10:44 PM. Reason: humor
Old 31-05-2010, 09:36 AM   #45
ChrisofEDF
Medical Technician

Why does no-one accuse the even more colorful movie Daleks as being a merchandising stunt. Blue, Silver, Gold and Red on one model was a bit garish.

Seriously

I think we would all be way more pissed if tat appeared on our screens.

Last edited by ChrisofEDF; 31-05-2010 at 09:48 AM.
ChrisofEDF is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 31-05-2010, 02:31 PM   #46
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisofEDF View Post
Why does no-one accuse the even more colorful movie Daleks as being a merchandising stunt. Blue, Silver, Gold and Red on one model was a bit garish.
Seriously
ChrisofEDF, you are right. The movie Daleks make the New DW 2010 series Daleks look more acceptable.

I wonder if there is a book publishing in the planning for a Guide to the Daleks from the beginning 1963 to 2010?
Old 31-05-2010, 05:15 PM   #47
Gerry Anderson Fan
Geological Technician

Apparently Moffat is a very big fan of the two Doctor Who movies so maybe he was trying to update / emulate the movie designs garish / colourful appearance?
Gerry Anderson Fan is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2010, 07:16 PM   #48
johnnybear
Weapons Technician

I think the new Daleks look ridiculous! Those colours are cobblers as far as I'm concerned. We already had a good design for them so what was the need to change it? Now they are reduced to looking like Teletubbies...
JB
johnnybear is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2010, 10:49 PM   #49
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybear View Post
I think the new Daleks look ridiculous! Those colours are cobblers as far as I'm concerned. We already had a good design for them so what was the need to change it? Now they are reduced to looking like Teletubbies...
JB

These ladies make lovely Daleks.

I liked the military olive drab Daleks.

Last edited by Steve Gerard; 01-06-2010 at 03:31 AM.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:12 AM   #50
johnnybear
Weapons Technician

The ironsides as they called them were great! They had that seventies look to them and you could really believe that they were destined to conquer the universe,now we've got Daleks that might 'play' in the universe and pick some flowers at the weekend. As for your 'Lady Daleks' they can capture me anyday,any chance you know them and can materialise them here?
JB

Old 01-06-2010, 01:17 PM   #51
Jonathan E
Medical Technician

As much as i liked the Ironsides Daleks, i think the new Daleks are excellent. Maybe if the dome and neck were set back a little, it would offset the hump a little.
They are a great re-imagining and the various colour schemes make sense in a community where everyone looks the same. Just check out the colour schemes in the Dalek Second Empire CGI comic strip.
Jonathan E is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 01:59 PM   #52
Captain Sci-Fi
Commander

Cool New Daleks

I think everyone is missing the word NEW, new this, new that....

NEW

Personally I think we are very lucky to have anything new and appreciate it for what it is. I am sure the new Daleks have a trick or two that we haven't seen as yet, those humps aren't there to just look good (or bad) I'll betcha

As a national disease we seem to be happiest when moaning. If you sincerely think the new design sucks then it does. Any series following an old premise will need to work 10 times harder just to overcome this, but I happen to think it is a transient appearance but will lead to more NEW episodes. If it keeps the franchise rolling, yes we need to feed the accountants too, then more power to the Daleks.

Overall I like the new series and the three new actors have all brought dimensions of their own to the role, so I'm willing to be open minded. I am also lucky enough to witness the power of what this series is most famous for.... scaring the life from young children..!!.

Every week my lot are often buried in cushions whimpering with fear, most satisfactory..!

Despite this would they miss an episode?? Would they heck...

Each Saturday evening every chair in my lounge is filled with a young person in much anticipation of this weeks episode, the excitement level is high as we recap the "next time" clip from this weeks show that set the excitement level we have waited a whole week to be released from.

The old mix is still there, part magic, part hardware, part excitement, 100% entertainment - be careful not to miss the point or someone will hear you moaning and pull the plug...

Cap'n
Captain Sci-Fi is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 03:06 PM   #53
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan E View Post
As much as i liked the Ironsides Daleks, i think the new Daleks are excellent. Maybe if the dome and neck were set back a little, it would offset the hump a little.
They are a great re-imagining and the various colour schemes make sense in a community where everyone looks the same. Just check out the colour schemes in the Dalek Second Empire CGI comic strip.
I am glad that DOCTOR WHO is still in production. I have no problem with the cast or writing of the episodes. It is great the Doctor lives!

Jonathan E, I wonder if the hump in the back of the new Dalek is to make it more comfortable for the person operating this prop from within?

Dare I say, the colours of the Daleks will grow on me...nostalgia...they remind me of the sections colors of the sleeves on the Alpha Moonbase uniforms.

Old 01-06-2010, 11:10 PM   #54
ChrisofEDF
Medical Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Sci-Fi View Post
I think everyone is missing the word NEW, new this, new that....

NEW

Personally I think we are very lucky to have anything new and appreciate it for what it is. I am sure the new Daleks have a trick or two that we haven't seen as yet, those humps aren't there to just look good (or bad) I'll betcha

As a national disease we seem to be happiest when moaning. If you sincerely think the new design sucks then it does. Any series following an old premise will need to work 10 times harder just to overcome this, but I happen to think it is a transient appearance but will lead to more NEW episodes. If it keeps the franchise rolling, yes we need to feed the accountants too, then more power to the Daleks.

Overall I like the new series and the three new actors have all brought dimensions of their own to the role, so I'm willing to be open minded. I am also lucky enough to witness the power of what this series is most famous for.... scaring the life from young children..!!.

Every week my lot are often buried in cushions whimpering with fear, most satisfactory..!

Despite this would they miss an episode?? Would they heck...

Each Saturday evening every chair in my lounge is filled with a young person in much anticipation of this weeks episode, the excitement level is high as we recap the "next time" clip from this weeks show that set the excitement level we have waited a whole week to be released from.

The old mix is still there, part magic, part hardware, part excitement, 100% entertainment - be careful not to miss the point or someone will hear you moaning and pull the plug...

Cap'n
Very true words Unfortunately its very easy to get carried away at that. Just looking at Gallifrey base its surprising the very minuscule things people get worked up about. Silurian Lasers, The date on Rorys name tag, the fact the Dalek control room is Square...
ChrisofEDF is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 11:22 PM   #55
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

Quote:
Very true words Unfortunately its very easy to get carried away at that. Just looking at Gallifrey base its surprising the very minuscule things people get worked up about. Silurian Lasers, The date on Rorys name tag, the fact the Dalek control room is Square...
I am fine with all those things.
I think we find humor in the colours of the Daleks.
I am just glad the Doctor Who is still being produced. The complaints about the new DW are reminiscent of some that dislike the season 2 of Space:1999. I personally like both Space:1999 and Doctor Who warts and all. I would like Space:1999 to still be in production as is the Doctor Who.

Last edited by Steve Gerard; 02-06-2010 at 12:13 AM.

Old 02-06-2010, 04:53 AM   #56
Captain Sci-Fi
Commander

Quote:

Seriously

I have just noticed the neck ring design it so reminds me of the Dalek Saucer from Invasion Earth, I need to get out more right?

Cap'n
Attached Images
File Type: jpg flyingship_2003.jpg (111.0 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Dalek_Saucer.jpg (30.1 KB, 10 views)
Old 02-06-2010, 08:04 AM   #57
johnnybear
Weapons Technician

But the fact is The Daleks didn't need updating! They changed their colour for The Ironsides and it worked,then they brought these Dapol Teletubbies out and said they were pure Daleks,I don't know about pure 'Daleks' but I do know what pure they are! Matt Smith is good as the new Time Lord,he has the eccentricity needed for the role,but the console didn't need updating but we accept it as the interior does change(prefer the Pertwee one myself)even the TARDIS shell gets a new look but The Daleks were awesome as they were,a military juggernaut armed to the teeth and looking inpenetrable for once in their long career, I don't think gold suited them but the grey look was fantastic and should've been kept but the Tubbies look like plastic and not metallic and as ineffectual as a toy tank! And as for the story...Ugghh!
JB
Old 02-06-2010, 08:12 AM   #58
johnnybear
Weapons Technician

Another thing about these Dapol Teletubbies is why does everyone say they are based on the Peter Cushing Movies? If anything RTD's Daleks were modelled on that design,without the colours obviously,but they are identical! The Tubbies may have a similar colour scheme but that is where the similarity ends...
JB

PS. I thought this was a Space 1999 fanbase?
Old 02-06-2010, 08:55 AM   #59
Captain Sci-Fi
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybear View Post
Another thing about these Dapol Teletubbies is why does everyone say they are based on the Peter Cushing Movies? If anything RTD's Daleks were modelled on that design,without the colours obviously,but they are identical! The Tubbies may have a similar colour scheme but that is where the similarity ends...
JB

PS. I thought this was a Space 1999 fanbase?
Specifically the Eagle Transporter, but Daleks are part of the culture and worthy of debate

Cap'n
Old 02-06-2010, 10:15 AM   #60
Jonathan E
Medical Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Gerard View Post
I am glad that DOCTOR WHO is still in production. I have no problem with the cast or writing of the episodes. It is great the Doctor lives!

Jonathan E, I wonder if the hump in the back of the new Dalek is to make it more comfortable for the person operating this prop from within?

The increased size and the 'hump' definately give the operators more room. But the hump and grill at the rear is supposed to be an internal weapons rack.
The gun is supposed to swing backwards on the mid-line slot and be replaced with different weaponry from within.

The redesign of the Silurians was done really badly. Too many human features on the face, they looked better with their masks on. But the Silurian gun was good, having design elements from the Sea Devils guns.

I also forgot the mention i really like the idea of there being a real eye at the end of the Dalek's eyestalk, not many people have commented on that.

Last edited by Jonathan E; 02-06-2010 at 10:27 AM.
Jonathan E is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Tags
dalek, doctor