Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > Breakaway > Dr Who

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 31-01-2009, 05:18 PM   #21
Conrad Turner
Communications Officer

Well, here are the first couple of skirts to be completed, one from the William Hartnell story "The Dalek Invasion of Earth" with the blueish hemispheres, the other from the Peter Davison story "Resurrection of the Daleks" in white hemispheres and with the shoulder section half done.

The bands on this one are unusual, the lower one is gloss black, the upper one is to be gloss white with the metal mesh and black slats on it. I also intend doing the Supreme Daleks from both Peter cushing films, and from "Planet of the Daleks".

Last edited by Conrad Turner; 24-03-2009 at 10:33 AM. Reason: Moved pictures to tidy up Photobucket account
Conrad Turner is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2009, 05:24 PM   #22
Huntsman
Astrophysics Technician

Are you sure that's not an old Sevan's kit?

Huntsman is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2009, 05:56 PM   #23
Conrad Turner
Communications Officer

They are a lot smaller than the Sevans ones, which I believe were 1:6th, not the 1:8th of the comet versions, but thanks for the compliment Huntsman.

I may have to put up a couple of pictures of the skirt panels as I built them. Each panel is moulded sepperately and unfortunately Tony has been diddled. Whoever injection moulded them reduced the cycle time too much, the sprues should have had a higher hold or dwell time to allow the plastic to harden properly. As this has not happened, the thicker places that were put into the design of the parts to give extra strength have shrunk and left tram-lines in the outer surface. This has meant a couple of coats of filler primer and a good sanding to each panel before assembly, and the same again after to improve the joins between panels. As I have started my 3rd and 4th skirts for the movie versions, I will put up a couple of appropriate pictures tomorrow to show the state of affairs.
Old 31-01-2009, 06:19 PM   #24
Huntsman
Astrophysics Technician

Like yourself, I'm very anxious to view the final results. The shoulders look fabulous. I had several Sevan's kits and none of them ever came out as beautifully as what you've done.
Huntsman is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2009, 06:41 PM   #25
yarvelling
Computer Technician

Hi Weaponsmith!
Your Daleks are looking excellent
The only problem that I can see is that they're going to look far better than the rather tatty original props!!
I do like those Comet kits, but they're normally a little too expensive on Ebay, for my limited capabilities I do have a couple; one I bought back in the early 90's and one I got a few months ago for a good price off Ebay (got lucky!). I hope you don't mind if I post a couple of piccies..... they certainly don't come close to what you're acheiving, but I like 'em

This fella is the older kit, and is of the Supreme Commander from 'Planet of the Daleks':

And here's a nice worker dalek from the second feature film 'Dalek Invasion of Earth 2050AD':

Cheers!
And now, I really look forward to seeing your finished models.

Steve.
yarvelling is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 31-01-2009, 07:05 PM   #26
Conrad Turner
Communications Officer

Don't put yourself down, Steve. Those look good to me. Is that Supreme a Sevans? I can see the tramlines (Just) on the two early drones (the silver ones), but can't on the Supreme, and the plunger arm and gun are different enough from one of Tonys to add to the possibility.

On a related note, how did you get such a great chrome effect on the bands of the drones?

I did a Supreme from "Planet" many years ago now, and think I sold it sometime, but that had scratch built ear lights which yours remind me of. I bought a length of clear acrylic rod, cut it to the correct length, then polished the outside, drilled the middle out a way, then painted the inside Tamiya translucent red. Looked real good at the time.

As my skills have moved on since those days, I plan on replacing all the lights on my current Supreme Council with cast clear resin which I may either tint or drill out and paint the inside of - dependant on how the originals looked.
Old 31-01-2009, 07:47 PM   #27
yarvelling
Computer Technician

Thanks a lot Weaponsmith, for the great comments
They're both Comet kits; all I did with the Supreme was use varying width aluminium rod to make the telescoping plunger arm (the plunger is actually Milliput!), and some more aluminium rod for the gun arm, with shaped fuse-wire to make the rods! For the silver film drone, i just used the standard kit parts as, to be honest, I couldn't be arsed to mess about with all that fiddly stuff again! I used chrome car tape (from halfords) stuck onto flat card for the lower neck band (the supplied plastic neck-band pieces had an 'odd' ridge running the length of each piece, plus, they didn't look deep enough), and just covered the supplied slats with the chrome tape too. Simple, but very effective - and inexpensive!
Cheers!
steve.

PS. I do a couple of the larger Sevans kits too.....bit of a Dalek fanatic, me! The Sevans look brilliant, but they are a right fiddle too! I made one as the black Leader from the first film, another is a typical Power/Evil/Chase drone, and the third is in cream and gold (with neck extension too!) from Revelation.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:34 PM   #28
Conrad Turner
Communications Officer

Well, here as promised are my pictures of the skirt build.

Here are the panels from a Comet Miniatures Dalek kit. They have been undercoated with Games Workshop Chaos Black spray and car filler primer in layers. They will then be sanded down lightly so the primers remain in the tramlines I have marked. This will give a much smoother finish and is well worth the effort, but it is worth noting that the panels forward of the large side panels require careful sanding as they are slightly too wide resulting in an elongated front section. I have marked the areas with the tramlines so you can see them better

Front view of the assembled skirt. Some of the joins have come apart, so I will have to reglue these with plasticweld before I strengthen them with superglue and re-prime and sand the whole thing to remove visible traces of the joins.

The individual panels assembled into the main body of the skirt. Once the joins have been backed up with some superglue to strengthen them, the whole assembly will be re-undercoated and sanded to remove any small gaps between the panels, then it will be fully painted and glued to the painted base.

More updates as I finish sections of the work, but my next job will be to work on a simple gravity mould for the replacement lights. Probably a 4 impression so I can do either a TV or movie dalek at once (2 TV lights, 2 movie lights in the same mould, using the Comet Miniatures lights as my masters.

Last edited by Conrad Turner; 24-03-2009 at 10:35 AM. Reason: Moved pictures to tidy up Photobucket account
Old 01-02-2009, 05:09 PM   #29
pjskeldon
Communications Officer

Excellent work!

I'm about to start my third Sevans dalek - a Movie version for a change.
At least with the Comet version, you can paint the balls easier!

Phil.
pjskeldon is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 05:30 PM   #30
yarvelling
Computer Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjskeldon View Post
Excellent work!

I'm about to start my third Sevans dalek - a Movie version for a change.
At least with the Comet version, you can paint the balls easier!

Phil.
Too bloody Right!! These drove me nuts...made this fella back in about '89/90. First film Dalek leader....

Hope you're going to show us some piccies...

Cheers,
Steve.

Last edited by yarvelling; 01-02-2009 at 05:30 PM. Reason: Crap at typing!!

Old 01-02-2009, 05:49 PM   #31
Jim Lewis
Communications Officer

Love what you guys do with these Daleks. I have always been especially drawn to the Movie design which of course did appear in the show in a variation of forms too. I have made a few kits bit never a scracth built Dalek but given my love of the movies and action figures did this guy a few years back. This is a Dalek thread not an action figure one so I am not trying to hijack it but thought as it did kinda relate to what you guys are doing you'd have a smile at this little guy. Costume all hand sewn and the helmet and stuff by me too. Please keep the Dalek stuff coming though guys. I love it.

Jim Lewis is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 06:15 PM   #32
yarvelling
Computer Technician

Jim, that Robo-Man is brilliant!! Absolutely.
I'd love to see a slightly tubby Robo-Man with Bernard Cribbins' face!
Love those PE Daleks too; always wondered why some of the drones had blue lights and some had red, when ALL the film props had red (first film). Plus, given the attention to detail they have, PE really should have spotted that the Black Dalek has a sucker, not a claw!
Old 01-02-2009, 06:46 PM   #33
Jim Lewis
Communications Officer

Cheers mate! Like I say a minor distraction from the serious topic of Dalek building but I did enjoy making this little fella. Product Enterprise stuff, despite the faults, kinda put me off the aggro of Dalek building as although there are problems they do basically make very nice display pieces much like all their earlier vehicles too. Anyway please on with more Dalek stuff I can't wait to see other stuff you guys do!!!!!!!
Jim Lewis is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2009, 08:28 PM   #34
Conrad Turner
Communications Officer

Well, not been adding anything to this for a while, and I'm afraid Daleks are going to have to take a back seat (If that's possible for a Dalek) for a while.

The reason is I am working an a large Games Workshop model for their annual "Golden Demon" model making competition in September. This will be a much larger model than I have ever done of theirs before with a much greater amount of work required. It will be an almost total conversion with complete scratch-build interior in at least 1 area, ending up between 1 1/2 to 2 foot long on a 28mm scale with almost half of it being scratch-built. Almost every part I have used from their kit has had to be modified in some way so far, meaning I will have to replace some detail such as rivets which have been lost during modification and due to the new shapes. I envisage that around 1,000 new rivets will have to be made, so I have today bought a water filter cartridge for this purpose. Paint will be to my very best standard, and utilising all the techniques shown in the Forgeworld book I posted about on another thread, to try and ensure my best chances of winning a prize. This could also be my best chance to show Games Workshop I am deserving of a job as a designer with them, even if it is as a trainee designer to start off with.

If people wish, I may take some digital shots of the build from now on, and would certainly consider putting shots of the finished model in Dragon's Domain, but hope you understand why I will not put any shots or more detailed descriptions of what I am working on up until after it has been finished and entered.
Old 28-02-2009, 09:06 PM   #35
yarvelling
Computer Technician

Perhaps then you won't object if I 'borrow' your thread here for a while, to show some work-in-progress pics of a Sevans Dalek that I am converting into something based upon the brilliant designs created for the online CGI strip, Dalek Second Empire?
The finished results will be shown in Dragon's Domain - if I like it
Cheers,
Steve.

Old 28-02-2009, 09:55 PM   #36
Conrad Turner
Communications Officer

of course I won't object. It's in keeping with the thread title, I like the strip too, and keeps it at least relatively current, so you would be doing me a favour.

The main thing I would like to know, so I can get my camera out tomorrow if necessary, is do people want a build thread on this later in the year, or just some pics of the monstrosity when it's finished?
Old 28-02-2009, 10:03 PM   #37
yarvelling
Computer Technician

Many thanks!!
And of course...get out your camera! I must confess to not being familiar with this Games Workshop stuff, so it'll be fascinating seeing what's taking shape...
Cheers,
Steve.
Old 01-03-2009, 03:15 PM   #38
yarvelling
Computer Technician

OK...... Weaponsmith has obligingly allowed me to borrow this thread for a while (!!)...So...
I was so impressed by the fabulous designs of the Daleks in the Second Empire online comic strip (http://www.cg-lair.co.uk/daleks/secemp00.htm), that I thought I'd sacrifice a now rather old and tatty looking Sevans Dalek and attempt to incorporate some of the design styles as used in the comic strip.
Here's the fella before he got dismantled:

After breaking him down he looked rather woe-begon!

Work has continued quite well; some parts being made, remade, painted, scrapped, remade.... and after a lot of head-scratching, I've finally sussed-out what I wanted, and how to make, the arm/gun boxes....here's a few more shots showing the progress so far... the new gun and claw-arm can be seen, but not too clearly yet - I don't want to reveal too much too soon

To be continued.....
Steve.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:30 PM   #39
yarvelling
Computer Technician

It's been a while since I last added to this - mainly because I forget to take w.i.p photos...
Anyway, work has progressed quite well, and I'm now working on the skirt section; spent a good part of this morning masking-up......

What a tedious job! I hope it's worth it..!!!
More to follow...
Cheers,
Steve.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:45 PM   #40
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

To show my ignorance of Dr Who, I wasn't aware that Daleks came in so many colours. This is all great work on people's parts. Weaponsmith, how's it going with your builds BTW. Yarvelling masking drives me nuts, and the tension as one peels the stuff off to see the results isn't always rewarded.
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote