Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > Breakaway > Dr Who

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 17-02-2012, 08:48 AM   #1
TV21Dalek
Eagle Pilot

Default Models for Dalek Comic Project

Inspired by some web comics using action figures I thought I would also have a go. I've done CGI comics in the past but the time spent modelling, posing and rendering, then post-work, and finally page layout weren't things I was too keen on doing for again for a web comic.
So I decided to use action figures and build my own sets and props from plasticard, EMA and other bits and bobs.

This will be a Dalek comic along the lines of the old TV21 comics, and will have a retro look to the design. The protagonists are Daleks and a lone human housed in a space radar tracking station on a planet not too far from the edge of Dalek space.

I want this to look like something from the pages of TV21, so I re-read all of my TV21 reprints, watched as much Supermarionation as I could absorb and got to work.

The models will all be scaled to 5" action figures.
Here is the work so far...

Here is what it looks like with a figure (for the comic I will be using a couple of slightly modified Captain Jack Harkness figures - one frozen into a seated pose):

The console is a communications unit and will feature a TeleVideo monitor and a radio set.
TV21Dalek is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 08:52 AM   #2
TV21Dalek
Eagle Pilot

Here is where I am so far:

TeleVideo unit is made from two tubes and plastic spares. The console itself is ready for painting... the panels will be dressed once the whole thing is painted RED, with the panels in a dull silver. Other details will be chrome and dark steel.
Chrome rims will be on dials and there will be switches and knobs all over it. A microphone will come out of the brown unit in the centre.

So, here are the photos... quite a lot

And with a figure... Captain Bloke of the Royal Space Force:

This is his ray-gun, suitably back-dated and ready for repainting. The clear tubes have been tinted a clear orange.

At the weekend I should be spraying the red undercoat for the console and TeleVideo set... providing the threatened snow doesn't appear.

I'll start working on the sets for the Daleks once the tracking station interior has been done. I think I may have it all done by the summer... hopefully.
Old 17-02-2012, 11:56 AM   #3
Slate Mcleod
Communications Officer

Looks great so far, but surely the time you will spend constructing all of the sets as physical models will take longer than CGI modelling, posing and rendering, then post-work ?
Slate Mcleod is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 12:15 PM   #4
TV21Dalek
Eagle Pilot

Possibly, but this is something I just want to try. In all my years of model-making I have never designed and built a miniature set.
It's been a long time since I've had a project I'm so keen on... and there are enough items to build that I won't get bored with it. They will all have their challenges and some might not work.

I've never done a photocomic so it's all a learning process for me

Last edited by TV21Dalek; 17-02-2012 at 12:18 PM.
Old 17-02-2012, 01:33 PM   #5
Conrad Turner
Communications Officer

And that ray-gun is reminiscent of the gun used by tom Baker in "The Invasion of time" that requires the Key of Rassilon to arm it.

Love all the work so far, this looks a really interesting idea. Will keep an eye on this, let us know where on the web it goes up when you've finished.
Conrad Turner is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 17-02-2012, 01:39 PM   #6
TV21Dalek
Eagle Pilot

Hi Conrad, it IS the Invasion of Time gun. I removed the awful sight and added some gubbins to add some interest to it. The antenna is from an old kit from the Yamato series of mini kits by Bandai... gives it a nice retro look
Old 17-02-2012, 01:57 PM   #7
Interceptor6
Astrophysics Technician

I love it!
..but it's "lonely" in space, ....Capt Bloke needs a silver suited technician to help with those cold winter nights!
Interceptor6 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 02:02 PM   #8
TV21Dalek
Eagle Pilot

Are you suggestion someone with purple hair, hahaha
Old 17-02-2012, 02:10 PM   #9
Interceptor6
Astrophysics Technician

IS there any other color???
I'll be at Megacon in Orlando this weekend, just "praying" to see a purple wig!!
Old 18-02-2012, 12:23 AM   #10
Captain Sci-Fi
Commander

I will be praying for a whole bunch of images please
Captain Sci-Fi is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 18-02-2012, 11:00 AM   #11
TV21Dalek
Eagle Pilot

Just a quick update.

I received some sheets of 'sticky-back plastic' from a mate and used the red to create seat cushions for the operator's chair. I wrapped it around some thick card and voila... looks the part. The chair will be silver and steel, so the red should stand out nicely.

Also, in keeping with the Anderson-influenced look to the set I created a panel which will go on the wall. This will have dials and some knobs in the two square sections.
The panel is made from a Japanese ABS plastic tray in 1/6 scale, some EMA rings and tinted domes, LEDs and some square panels from a Mini-Art iron fence kit in 1/35 scale.

The panel unlit:

And illuminated...

More updates to follow as I work on the Space Radar wall-console.
Old 19-02-2012, 10:56 AM   #12
TV21Dalek
Eagle Pilot

Minor disaster: I undercoated the TeleVideo monitor red and sprayed the chair silver without any problems, but when I was spraying the console it fell and the legs came off. I need to wait until tomorrow to sand the damaged areas and re-attach the legs. Luckily nothing actually broke and it can be easily repaired. I'm just really, REALLY annoyed!
Hopefully this will be the project's only accident.
Old 19-02-2012, 01:52 PM   #13
TV21Dalek
Eagle Pilot

Well the damage to the console was so minor that after a quick rub-down I was able to respray the undercoat. I'll add the legs once the thing's finished to make life easier. There are the usual annoying specs to rub out before the top-coat but everything is okay... phew!

The TeleVideo was undercoated...

The chair was sprayed Tamiya Silver Leaf and the cushions replaced. I still need to add some colour variation and some small details, but it's essentially done.

I also started the Space Radar control console... the screen will be on a different panel.
Old 21-02-2012, 12:12 PM   #14
Slate Mcleod
Communications Officer

I love this project ! Can't wait for more updates !
Slate Mcleod is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2012, 12:21 PM   #15
TV21Dalek
Eagle Pilot

Thanks Slate

I checked on the legs for the main comms console and they aren't broken - they had snapped along the glue line. So much for Plastic Weld welding parts together, haha

Anyway, once the rain is away I can get the rattle cans out and give the console and TeleVideo a good hard coat of gloss red. Then the fun can begin. I printed dials and meters off on acetate and I have a load of steel rings to act as bezels... plus there will be Bare Metal Foil chrome strip accents, metal spring pipe etc... loadsa fun

Old 21-02-2012, 06:37 PM   #16
TV21Dalek
Eagle Pilot

When I got home from work it wasn't too windy and it was relatively mild so I decided to spray the gloss red. I'll give it a few days to set properly then start on the detail painting and adding dials and their bezels, etc.

Here are the console and TeleVideo in nice shiny red paint:

And this is to show how big the Space Radar coontrol console is:

Old 21-02-2012, 08:17 PM   #17
Interceptor6
Astrophysics Technician

You're having WAY too much fun with this!
Old 21-02-2012, 08:35 PM   #18
TV21Dalek
Eagle Pilot

Just indulging myself a wee bit

I have a couple of Character Options reel-to-reel type computers but I think I might go with one like SID from Lunarville 7 (Captain Scarlet episode, as if people didn't know, lol)

TV21 annuals and reprints of the comics are giving me masses of ideas, hahaha. (Oh, and the Dalek saucer interior will have bubble rod in there)
Old 23-02-2012, 12:48 PM   #19
Conrad Turner
Communications Officer

you cheeky Wotsit!

I spy a comet miniatures Dalek neck bin and rings in those pictures!

OO
Conrad Turner is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2012, 12:58 PM   #20
TV21Dalek
Eagle Pilot

No, you spy a 1/13 Character Options Dalek neckbin, lol

Oh, quick question: anyone know how to remove chrome from plastic?
I have a Product Enterprise Dalek saucer I want to use for this comic but it a chrome plated RC unit (gutted). I tried Mr Muscle oven cleaner and not even a bubble! Tried fizzy coke (some suggestions really are too silly).
I'm getting to the point where I am now pleading for someone to strip it for me...
Any kind volunteers?

I have ordered more EMA parts and some Lego items for other models for the two main sets... and also ordered a couple of Dapol (Airfix) Girder Bridges for no other reason than it felt like the right thing to do for some reason.

If the outpost control room is like something from planet Supermarionation then the Dalek interior is going to be more like some groovy 60s pad, with bubble rod and lots of clear plastic buttresses and stuff - think Mysterons meet Austin Powers.

Anyway, tonight more detail work so should have some more photos to upload by the weekend.