Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > Breakaway > Dr Who

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 24-02-2012, 03:52 PM   #21
Conrad Turner
Communications Officer

Never was that fond of Mr Muscle. Wookiee recommended it to me, but I didn't find it that effective. Prefer Fairy Powerspay for paint removal, but have no idea what'll have any effect on factory finish chrome without damaging the plastic underneath.

Can you not just give it a very light sand with some 240+ grit paper and undercoat over the top?
Conrad Turner is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2012, 02:20 AM   #22
Exterminator
Deputy Commander

Hi Iain!

Sorry I'm a bit late to the party ... but it's all looking rather splendid!! Good on you!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TV21Dalek View Post
I'm getting to the point where I am now pleading for someone to strip it for me...
Any kind volunteers?
Send it to me, I've got some moderately aggressive chemicals that might do the trick.

... or I could just leave it near my socks!!
Exterminator is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2012, 02:10 PM   #23
TV21Dalek
Eagle Pilot

Thanks Exterminator... I will PM you

Anyway, spent a few evenings designing the Dalek saucer interior... it will be all tinted clear plastic, bubbles and mood lighting... think Mysteron complex
EMA will be making a fortune out of me, hahaha

Also been working on the tracking outpost exterior while I wait for more parts for my INterior models.
The outpost main building is being made from an old Ferrero Rocher box to an approximate 1/80 scale (I've seen a few SF buildings made from these), which will be dressed with detail parts before being painted up to represent a building constructed from reinforced concrete.

It will be dressed with model parts and details made from Plastruct and EMA shapes.
The main tracking dish is made from a Lego radar dish and Kotobukiya/Wave mecha detail parts.

This will be mounted onto the roof (on top of the black round thing) once it's all been painted.

My second Jack came, so I beheaded him and fixed the first one in a permanent seating pose. Now these need the uniform slightly altered, but will not be changing the colour... more like adding insignia and recolouring the scarf.

I also beheaded a Torchwood Jack and will use this head, but with a shortened neck. Strangely this head is slightly large and has a very puppet look about it, which is perfect for this project. It will of course be repainted, as will the hands on the two bodies.

Since Captain Jack is basically Captain Scarlet this seems appropriate

I also received an incomplete Major Matt Mason Grumman Moon Suit today... not sure what to do with it just yet, but at least it matches the scale of CO figures... which is nice.
TV21Dalek is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2012, 04:45 PM   #24
Exterminator
Deputy Commander

Quote:
The outpost main building is being made from an old Ferrero Rocher box to an approximate 1/80 scale (I've seen a few SF buildings made from these)
... and where did the contents go? The things that model makers do for their art!!
Old 25-02-2012, 04:50 PM   #25
TV21Dalek
Eagle Pilot

Well, there are a few ladies at work, so they helped me clean it out, lol

Old 26-02-2012, 06:01 PM   #26
TV21Dalek
Eagle Pilot

Been feeling a bit bleah this weekend so didn't do as much as I had hoped. To prevent myself falling asleep in front of a DVD I decided to work on something small and relatively simple, and is really more of a dressing-type prop than a 'hero' prop as they say in showbiz.

When I watch a Supermarionation episode something that always strikes me is the detail in something as innocuous as a chair in a lab or control room. They always seem to have a lovely quilted texture to the PVC with a nice chrome trim to them. I think the chairs in TB1 and TB2 have that texture too.

Anyway, got some vacformed mesh-textured sheet from EMA and set about building a random chair... and here it is.

And with the usual headless Bloke for a sense of scale and proportion... remember this is to approximately 1/13 scale.

I know this isn't as exciting as a Thunderbird, Angel, Dalek or an Eagle, but it IS an integral part of a larger whole.
Old 28-02-2012, 08:16 AM   #27
TV21Dalek
Eagle Pilot

Sorry no photos today (when I get home I will update them), however yesterday I received some Lego struts which looked suitably retro and two of these have replaced the rather weak supports I had originally built for the main communications console.
You can see them on the legs of this thing:

I cut the Lego nobbles off the narrow end and glued them to the original base-plate then to the underside of the console. Much, much more robust, and the weight advantage now means it can stand more securely.

In keeping with the Supermarionation-era look I also got a couple of Dapol Girder Bridge kits. I had a model railway as a kid but never had these... and I wasn't prepared for the size of the parts. As I looked at the parts I smiled and thought, that was the Mole, that was in the pod, those were the squares on front of the pod...that was in this, that and the other.
So looking at the parts I saw a walkway above the main floor taking shape in my mind... I can fully understand why Derek Meddings and chums used so many of them.

I am really enjoying this project
Old 28-02-2012, 08:54 AM   #28
Exterminator
Deputy Commander

Quote:
I am really enjoying this project
You're not the only one!!
Old 28-02-2012, 07:46 PM   #29
TV21Dalek
Eagle Pilot

Well, here are the new legs on the comms console. To me they look the part and, as I said, are structurally better than the older ones.

These are the Lego pieces I found which make really good supports:

And here are the consoles so far... two of them are just shapes at the moment. I still need to build the actual Space Radar scope, which will be a large circular screen.

The photo is in my portable studio (from Amazon ) not the actual set.

Now what's a console without dials?
I printed some random dials onto clear acetate and backed them with sticky labels from work (shhhh). The bezels are metal rings I found on eBay for peanuts, lol

I also have the Girder Bridge for much fun... well, two of them.

And a plastic colander just for giggles

Finally can I ask for some advice?
Should I use these computers? They need some extra detailing and repainting, of course... but do they fit in with the Supermarionation theme?
Old 28-02-2012, 09:21 PM   #30
Interceptor6
Astrophysics Technician

Remind's me of SHADO HQ with those reels!
Interceptor6 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2012, 03:26 PM   #31
Conrad Turner
Communications Officer

Yes, go with the computers, but I would seriously consider shortening the stock on the gun. I know these things are not necessarily acurate to real life and depend on the flexability of the'men' you have to hold them, but that stock should either go under the arm, or fit into the crook of his elbow. The length it seems to be now, if he put that to his shoulder to fire it, he'd be stretching his arm too much to be able to fire it accurately.
Conrad Turner is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 11:29 PM   #32
Captain Sci-Fi
Commander

Default Anything can happen in the next......

Those mag tape computers are nice, you have to use them, also the leg struts are the full ticket, I like them. There just seems to be too much block colour red. You must be planning to "faceplate" in a contrasting colour I guess, oh and you need lights, blinking and flashing, blinking and flashing.

You will also need a speaker, something the camera can look at as filtered radio voices or intercoms dialogue is spoken.

Radars? Where are the radars? and you need round and round things and a big map with lots of pins or flags.

Lastly, you will need a klaxon "red alert" siren, something that looks speaker hornish and loud, so loud that it makes the announcer gain a slight reverb... erb.. erb.
Captain Sci-Fi is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 02:27 AM   #33
Lrl
Astrophysics Technician

And a big transparent star chart to draw arrows on.
Lrl is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 11:57 AM   #34
healvis
Communications Officer

Nice build TV21. I know it's a little late but bleach will remove chrome from plastic.
healvis is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 02:07 PM   #35
TV21Dalek
Eagle Pilot

Thanks for all of the suggestions...

I have shortened the beam rifle's stock and he can hold it much better, so thanks for that, I should have realised, but nice to have someone else notice

The console will have the panels on the 'desk' section painted metallic grey with the sides and front lower section in black. There will be bright chrome strips across the lower front and rear.
The TeleVideo will have colour details.
Lights? There will be lights and dials on the panels.
The Space Radar is being built and there is a map of the planet on clear acetate which can be illuminated from behind.
There is a speaker with a loop antenna to go onto the main console.
I have a LOT to do, and there will be lights galore... I have more LEDs than I know what to do with.

Thanks also for helping me decide to use the tape-reel computers. I will dress them up and repaint them. They are rotocast PVC but once painted they could be cast in gold for all the difference it makes visually

Not done much today, but I HAVE been working on the tracking station model itself.
I ditched the roof from the first version and went for a more retro look... even using parts from the Girder Bridge in the detailing, haha

I need to tidy it up, add an access ramp and a door.
The blue panels are for surface detail... once it's painted they will break up the flat sides.
Oh and the scale is around 1/80.

There will be living quarters separate from the main building.

Healvis... Exterminator is trying everything in his workshop to remove the chrome and he says he has never come across anything like it before. He even tried Nitromors apparently.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:47 PM   #36
healvis
Communications Officer

Is it possibly electroplated? If it is and I'm not 100% sure about this but I think you can reverse the process using a negative or positive charge in some kind of chemical solution. Probably best to look it up somewhere.
John.
healvis is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:40 PM   #37
Lrl
Astrophysics Technician

Theres a lot of people watching this, do you want any of us to build something?
Lrl is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:48 AM   #38
TV21Dalek
Eagle Pilot

Thanks for the offer kind Lrl, but I'm not in any kind of hurry - I keep changing ideas as I find new materials, but thank you very much for the offer

Healvis - elctroplated? Never even thought of that... I'll suggest that to Exterminator. Cheers
Old 06-03-2012, 10:17 AM   #39
Exterminator
Deputy Commander

Quote:
Healvis - elctroplated? Never even thought of that... I'll suggest that to Exterminator. Cheers
Healvis, thanks, you might be right - it's tough stuff!! I've tried various solvents, bleach, Nitromors ... I've yet to try one of my industrial-strength curries or frowning at it!! Joking apart, nothing has touched it, so far.

I've just bought some oven cleaner, and the instructions warn against spraying it on shiny surfaces ... so that's what I'll do!!

I'll let you know how I got on.

Phil
Old 06-03-2012, 11:43 AM   #40
TV21Dalek
Eagle Pilot

Apologies for the lousy photo but I need to get batteries for the camera

This is the completed building prior to painting. Once that's done I will turn back to getting the consoles finished. It's roughly 1/80-ish scale and will be used for scene setting and frames where the saucer flies overhead towards its landing site.

Also, Lrl asked if I needed any models built for this... and I was thinking: jetbike.
Something simple, similar to the Jetmobiles in XL5 but with a cargo platform like the ones in Thunderbirds. A hybrid of these two would be perfect:

I don't know if a builder would want paid, credited, whatever - I've never asked anyone to build anything before.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-03-05 19.09.51.jpg (156.0 KB, 13 views)