Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > Breakaway > Dr Who

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 16-07-2017, 07:57 PM   #1
boatshewsd2
Life Support Officer

Default Wow - A Time Lady!!

Any reactions as yet, to today's (Sunday's) announcement of the next Doctor Who?
boatshewsd2 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2017, 12:07 AM   #2
Boldman
Eagle Pilot

Not surprised at all after the fuss made last time. Very disappointed with the amount of nastiness that has spewed out, even in a thread on the Fanderson FB page.

If she has good scripts, she should be good. Capaldi could have been superb if the first couple of years hadn't had such rubbish scripts and the millstone that was the assistant Clara. Bill was an excellent companion this series and the last two episodes were excellent.
Boldman is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2017, 09:48 AM   #3
KevinD
Communications Officer

I'm afraid I can't get behind this. A seperate series featuring a different female Timelord would be fine and I'd be keen to see it but changing the sex of a character I have followed since the early 70's just puts me off. I'm sure it will be made well and with integrity but I've got to part company with it sadly.
KevinD is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2017, 10:28 AM   #4
pfleming@jbt.co.uk
Communications Officer

Default Not before Time......

Well done to all concerned for taking a brave decision. Won't be to everyone's liking but, as already indicated, with good writing and production any decent actress or actor should be able to step into the Time Lord's shoes and take it from there. I'd also argue the case that the production team shouldn't necessarily just switch back to a male Doctor in the next regeneration either.

Plaudits should also go to Michelle Gomez for making such a great job in the role of Missy, and helping to prepare the way for 13 - on reflection, what a Doctor she would have been!! There were a few hints dropped during the last series that changes were afoot, so it was less of a surprise than it might otherwise have been.

Looking forward to the next series, but equally sad to see Peter go - he's a fine actor and he's brought plenty to the role.

Kindest regards

Patrick
pfleming@jbt.co.uk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2017, 11:55 AM   #5
Sea Devil
Travel Tube Technician

R.I.P Dr Who 1963-2017 will be greatly missed by many.
Sea Devil is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 17-07-2017, 12:04 PM   #6
badsimmonds
Eagle Pilot

I'm afraid this is one change too much for me. I've been glued to the screen since 1963 through good times and bad times but with the tinkering the programme has had over the past few years I could see where it was going. So with deep regret I won't be following the further adventures of the Doctor. Whats even worse its the only programme on the telly I watch, or watched.
badsimmonds is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2017, 01:28 PM   #7
Boldman
Eagle Pilot

Haha you guys make me laugh, what is the problem with a female doctor?

I'm sure the production team will be devastated that you don't agree with them
Boldman is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2017, 01:53 PM   #8
KevinD
Communications Officer

I don't imagine the production team are concerned about my view, nor should they be really. I've nothing against the Doctor being female if that was what I'd grown up with but it wasn't. It is the change that makes me uncomfortable enough to not want to watch. Still, glad I gave you a laugh.
KevinD is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2017, 02:01 PM   #9
Richard Baker
Eagle Pilot

I am going to wait and see. Capaldi was a great Doctor but was given garbage to work with- he still managed to salvage some of the shows.
It does not matter who is cast if they do not have writing up to par.

I have been watching the series 'Sherlock' and thought Benedict Cumberbatch would have been an excellent Doctor- his style & delivery would have fit perfectly IMO.

Oh well, the die is cast, we will soon see what turns up...
Richard Baker is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2017, 02:22 PM   #10
badsimmonds
Eagle Pilot

Why is it when some people say they don't like something others jump down their throats.
We are all entitled to our opinions it just so happens I don't like this change at all and if anyone doesn't like my opinion then they'll just have to live with it.
badsimmonds is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 17-07-2017, 04:28 PM   #11
Sea Devil
Travel Tube Technician

I agree with Malcolm. Since Dr Who came back we have had a bi-sexual companion in Captain Jack, a lesbian companion in Bill Potts and established male characters turning female all so the BBC can be seen to justify the licence fee to politicians. We forget that this is an early evening programme for children. I can only hope that this revamp goes the same way as the Top Gear reboot, I would rather see the programme cancelled than continue in this farcical manner.
Sea Devil is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2017, 12:24 AM   #12
Tech_Designer
Travel Tube Technician

Colour me not impressed. They crossed a line that shouldn't have been crossed. Under Moffat with Matt Smith introduced the gender-bender regeneration and then under Peter Capaldi they showed the Timelord general regenerating into a woman. Under Davis, the John Simm Master was screwed up and then they bring him back as 'Missy' further screwing the character. Now this. Missy should have been the Rani. The Master should have been brought back properly. The Doctor should have NEVER be a woman. Timelords (males) should always regenerate to other males. Timeladies (females) should always regenerate to other females. There should not be any sex-change regenerations at all. Since they are doing this, to alot of people they just ruined the show.
Tech_Designer is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2017, 06:01 PM   #13
Dorzac
Eagle Pilot

I gave up watching the revamp of Dr Who about midway thru the Eccleston season - didn't like the bombastic, face gurning character he seemed to be coming. When I watched the early Doctors, they all seemed to bring their persona to the character, but after Tom Baker's Doctor (my fave Doctor by a mile), they all seemed to start trying to be Tom Baker rather than their own Doctor. Maybe a female Doctor will be the start of something different, might watch the new series.
Dorzac is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2017, 08:34 PM   #14
Planet3
Forum Supporter

I agree with you Kevin. I have watched Doctor Who since William Hartnell in 1963, even persevered with it through the Sylvester McCoy era. But this is one step too far. I know some people will like this change and good luck to them. It will be interesting to see what happens to the viewing figures.
But I feel that the BBC has never really valued the program (even with all the revenue and merchandising it has brought them in over the years). They killed it off in the late Eighties, finally bringing it back in 2006 and it must have made them an absolute fortune in new merchandising.

For the sake of the people who will continue to watch the show, I hope the production team come up with some really good scripts that will allow the new Doctor to be a success. Undoubtedly this lady has the acting talent.
As for me, I'm off to regenerate in the nearest pub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinD View Post
I'm afraid I can't get behind this. A seperate series featuring a different female Timelord would be fine and I'd be keen to see it but changing the sex of a character I have followed since the early 70's just puts me off. I'm sure it will be made well and with integrity but I've got to part company with it sadly.
Planet3 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2017, 02:05 PM   #15
doon
Communications Officer

Shame, but could be worse, Moffet could be staying. Either way I'm done!
doon is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 24-07-2017, 09:46 PM   #16
FALLINGSTAR
Communications Officer

I'm all for good strong female characters but changing the Doctor's gender is a step too far for me. In fact Nu Who's often verged on being parody but now it'll be a total parody. Ridiculous.
FALLINGSTAR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2017, 04:15 PM   #17
Ham Salad
Communications Officer

I am suspicious of this, they have messed with us before: remember 'the next doctor?" I'll beleive it when I've seen 5 finished episodes.
Ham Salad is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2017, 05:40 PM   #18
boatshewsd2
Life Support Officer

Good to be hearing from you - it's been awhile!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ham Salad View Post
I am suspicious of this, they have messed with us before: remember 'the next doctor?" I'll beleive it when I've seen 5 finished episodes.
boatshewsd2 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 10:52 PM   #19
Ham Salad
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatshewsd2 View Post
Good to be hearing from you - it's been awhile!
Really? Mostly no one likes me. Also, the people here...so industrious! I'[m afraid advancing age has sapped my vitality for building things, I hardly do anything anymore.

Well, OK I'm working on an ALIEN themed haunt for charity, but not much more.
Ham Salad is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 05:27 PM   #20
Slate Mcleod
Communications Officer

This is just the start of it...how long before we have a female 007!!!
Slate Mcleod is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Tags
doctor who, thirteenth doctor