Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 17-10-2007, 02:10 AM   #81
tx4
Medical Technician

Default First? Hmm...

I saw Space: 1999 first-run, basically all the way through, but not quite. I can't say I clearly remembered which episode I saw first. I am pretty sure it was not "Breakaway," as I remember thinking, before Sci-Fi Channel's airing of the series in 1992, that I was finally going to be able to see the first episode, as I was pretty sure I had not! Sure enough, it did look new to me. Back to the 1970's, though....

Whether the Milwaukee station (where I lived at the time) played them in the most commonly-cited order, I don't know. If I saw "Matter of Life and Death" at the time, it probably did not impress me much more than it does now, I'm afraid. I may have seen "Black Sun" next, because I do remember being impressed by that one, and even though I don't recall making much sense of the journey through the black hole itself, I do remember finding the curious effects (visual and sound) rather entertaining. Though I have on-and-off quibbles with this episode to this day (ironically, I just started re-watching it a short time ago), I rather do like the thematic content, and like to touch on such now and then in commentary and writing.

I remember being bored to death of "Ring Around the Moon," then and to this day, I'm afraid; but whenever I first saw "Earthbound," I was very much impressed, and there was a lot to enjoy. Other than the glaring gap of not having seen "Breakaway," and probably a couple others missed for whatever reason (travel?), I saw all of the rest faithfully, regardless of enjoying some episodes more than others. "The Metamorph" quickly became my favorite, and though I recall wondering if I had missed an episode before, for obvious reasons, and probably afterwards too, right off the bat, I liked both seasons, for various reasons, sometimes differing and sometimes the same, and still do, to this day, for many of the same or different reasons.

When the Sci-Fi Channel was first announced, I think I saw a teaser spot for the whole channel, of clips, and was excited to see a 1/4" clip of an Eagle in flight (or maybe that spinning one), and hoped it meant they were going to show the series. I was glad to later read they intended to do just that, and when the day came, I was excitedly waiting the first one, and even rented a VCR (I should have just bought one, of course), ready to record away, and I greatly enjoyed "Breakaway," and enjoyed the episodes that followed, to varying degrees, but overall, very immensely. My memories of the series were so degraded by that time it was almost like seeing it all over again!

In between, there was very little merchandise that I still had from childhood; in fact, just one. The only episode list I had was one I had written up a few years before, 12 years after the series airing, from faded memory, and contained rather whimsical, vague, or mixed-up references. I had dubbed "The Infernal Machine" as "Flight of the Bumblebee," as one of the perhaps more "poetic" examples, and "Spider Webs" as another, for example. I still have that sheet of paper somewhere.

Some images from S19 really stuck with me in those 15 years between 1977 and 1992, even if only in fragments, and it was wonderful to finally see the episodes again, even if I later realized and found out how cut they were.
tx4 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2007, 07:10 PM   #82
marty_hopkirk
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyB View Post
I can vividly remember the day I first saw Space 1999 on TV, Yorkshire TV on Thursday evening at 7pm in September 1975 for the first episode Breakaway
Precisley mine, YTV Thursday evening Sept 1975 et-al. But, I soon lost interest in Space 1999, sorry guys and gals...

One of my best memories is watching UFO's first epiode, Indentified. This is etched in my memory: Anglia late Sep 1970.. running home in the dark to catch it, from 'playing' with my pals , is a different story.

Marty...
marty_hopkirk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2007, 11:08 AM   #83
TonyB
Forum Supporter

Marty I remember that too....

1970, Wednesday evening's first off at 7.20 on BBC1 Classic Star Trek season 3, then flip over to ATV at 8.00pm to watch UFO, boy did I used to enjoy Wednesday evenings in 1970/71.
TonyB is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2008, 09:34 AM   #84
Senmut
Eagle Pilot

IIRC, the first ep I saw was Dragon's Domain. I was hooked immediately.
Senmut is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2008, 09:46 AM   #85
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Very cool ep, an interesting place to start too. Welcome to the forum BTW Senmut
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 13-02-2008, 12:45 PM   #86
cricket
Medical Officer

Senmut, Welcome! I believe you're the second or third refugee from the S99 Net Forum. Glad you found us.
cricket is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2008, 02:14 AM   #87
tx4
Medical Technician

Hello, Senmut, welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senmut View Post
IIRC, the first ep I saw was Dragon's Domain. I was hooked immediately.
Earlier tonight, I probably would have said: Not sure if it would have worked out the same way for me if I had seen DD as my first episode -- being age six then (and not a horror fan) -- but I was already a faithful watcher of the series by then, and the imagery in DD stuck anyway, as a scary story. Definitely sticks in the mind!

However, coincidentally, I happened to watch it again tonight from the (Network ) DVD which I already had in the player after re-watching "The Infernal Machine" a few days ago; and on second thought: If I had seen it as my first episode back when I was six, I probably would have stuck around -- too many neat spaceships and an interesting story of space exploration.

The Dragon still stands well as a monster, and the comparison to a spider catching flies, something like what Victor mentioned, certainly seems apt. Spiders and St. George, some interesting metaphorical comparisons.

Plenty of interesting backstory too....
tx4 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2008, 04:14 AM   #88
BlackSunBurned
Alphan

Living in Canada, I grew up on Anderson live action starting with UFO, which was on CTV Monday night at 7:00pm just before The Partridge Family . I absolutely loved it, although I found it quite frightening in parts, and was always frustrated by how the Interseptors only had one shot, and how they always seemed to miss.

By the time I was 12, S99 was in first run on CBC Saturday afternoons at 4:00, but I believe the first ep was Breakaway. I was stunned and thought to myself, "Well, this certainly kicks the crap out of Star Trek.", and never missed an ep until it was off the air. Naturally, the best at the time for my was "War Games" because of the action and Dragons Domain. The monster reminded me of a car wash...
BlackSunBurned is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2008, 05:58 AM   #89
Senmut
Eagle Pilot

The idea of the Moon moving randomly through space, and all the various ships and machines fascinated me as a kid. Of course, my parents didn't want me watchingf stuff like that. naturally, I watched it anyway.
Senmut is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2008, 01:00 PM   #90
cricket
Medical Officer

Welcome BlackSunBurned! UFO followed by the Partridge Family? Yikes, that's an odd pairing! Though, come to think of it, some of those 1960-cum-1980 party scenes in UFO could have hosted the Partridge Family quite handily.

Glad you found us!
cricket is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 14-02-2008, 01:02 PM   #91
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSunBurned View Post
The monster reminded me of a car wash...
Yes.... or one of those old pictures of the yellow peril or the communist octopus
Old 14-02-2008, 03:08 PM   #92
hwels
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket View Post
Welcome BlackSunBurned! UFO followed by the Partridge Family?
What a coincidence! Happy Valentine's day! Remember 'I think I Love you'?
hwels is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2008, 12:35 AM   #93
BlackSunBurned
Alphan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket View Post

Glad you found us!

So am I. I thought I was the only one left that remembered and loved Anderson's live stuff. I always thought it was strange that S99 never was as popular on this side of the pond and it does my heart good to see it live on with so many.
Old 15-02-2008, 12:37 AM   #94
BlackSunBurned
Alphan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwels View Post
What a coincidence! Happy Valentine's day! Remember 'I think I Love you'?

Remember it? Hell, I had the record. (note I said "record" not cd)
Old 15-02-2008, 09:14 PM   #95
Dr Kane
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSunBurned View Post
Remember it? Hell, I had the record. (note I said "record" not cd)
I think I've got the cover by Voice of the Beehive somewhere, if that counts...
Dr Kane is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 16-02-2008, 05:52 AM   #96
CR
Science Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Kane View Post
I think I've got the cover by Voice of the Beehive somewhere, if that counts...
Voice of the Beehive? OMG, I just remembered that I have their album Let It Bee on vinyl! (Turns around to grab album from crate)... yup, there it is! Haven't listened to this since I bought it in college, way back in 1988. (Realisation sinks in...) Good god, this album is twenty years old!
Has it really been that long? Ten years, sure, but twenty?
CR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2008, 09:50 PM   #97
Wirral Bagpuss
Chef

I've been thinking about this. The year one episode i seem to remember clearly is Alpha Child, and Force of Life. As i remember being scared out of my wits at the tender age of 7/8 yrs old with the lights going out on Alpha !!!
Wirral Bagpuss is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2008, 01:29 AM   #98
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Was it our own CR who had the house lights go out while watching one of these with his family.... very scary in deed.
Old 26-02-2008, 06:31 AM   #99
CR
Science Officer

I don't think that was me, Tony, but I have watched many eps with the lights already off just to set the mood. (Speaking of lights, to this day, my dad still remembers the episode "Force of Life" because of the corridor lights going out as Zoref walked past them.)
CR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2008, 12:59 PM   #100
Baggers0046
Medical Technician

I remember the first episode being on TV. That was in the days before the average home had a TV in each room and my mother cruelly turned it over to watch some crap on the other side!!!!!
Baggers0046 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote