Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Main Mission > Launch Pad

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 14-04-2007, 01:52 PM   #1
Eagle-1

Default Building your own HAWK the same size as the PE. Interested?

Hey guys,

I've got an idea.

With all the talk of correcting the PE already and several of us not willing to do so after spending that kind of money..........

Is anyone one here up for a group build of a HAWK about the same size as the PE without spending ANYWHERE NEAR that amount of money?

This is just an interest thread, but I'm certainly willing to take it further.

It won't be screen accurate to the smaller HAWK used in the series, as it should in a smaller scale, but it will certainly look nice once we're done. More like a smaller version of the larger HAWK.

Rob.
  Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2007, 04:38 PM   #2
w8cmp
Science Officer

I'm certainly interested...would it involve the purchase of a number of hard to find kits, or are there other methods in mind. Just thnking of theSaturn 1B & Saturn V parts that would need to be downsized (perhaps the Man in Space set or something may help with some bits).

I know you've done a lot of work on a CM in this sort of scale...

Chris
w8cmp is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2007, 05:15 PM   #3
Eagle-1

Hey Chris,

Yes, that was my thinking here. I've got a CM already we could use (or make your own here guys if you don't like mine, I'm not saying it's the best there's ever been, but you have all seen it) that I could send to anyone who wants to join in here on this. I don't think it would require any "hard to find" kits here at all.

The man in space rocket collection would be an obvious choice. It's cheap in most cases and you would need two. The AIRFIX Harrier in 1/48 scale can provide a couple pieces, although I don't think we'll find one in 1/48 scale that will be as detailed as the 1/24 AIRFIX Harrier for all the parts. I could be wrong though. TAMIYA makes a 1/48 Harrier, I think, but I don't personally own one myself to check it. The frame work can be either brass or styrene tubing (or whatever).

My other thinking here was that we could build, show them off here to each other and help each other along the way. Kind of a group "scratchbuild" if you will.

I REALLY want a couple other of you to do this with me and make this fun. I'll offer my services for some of the miscellaneous things we would need (like a smaller turned "Boots" style cake pillar, booster nozzles, etc.) and some others could chip in for something THEY could help with.

I'll bet we could make one helluva HAWK, in fact I know this.

I would like to see just how many folks WANT to do some modeling.

Rob.
Old 14-04-2007, 06:45 PM   #4

im up for it, i think a group build would be a pretty cool idea.
just let me know what you want me to do for my part?
Old 14-04-2007, 06:58 PM   #5
Eagle-1

Before I'm misunderstood......

I would like this group build to be the group building these simultanously sharing tips and such as we go. Everyone provides their own parts and pieces as we go along. I'm volunteering to provide some of the things we obviously can't come up with to the best of my abilities. Such as, obviously, a replica cake pillar, which I would have to turn on a lathe and then, either cast that OR make a few others.

So, Northerner, you would need at least 2 "Man in Space rocket collection" kits in 1/200 scale issued by AMT. There's at least one older and one newer version. This is IF we decide this would be the kit to use and that theirs nothing better out there.

BUT, let's continue to see who would like to be involved here and then decide on what we can come up with to use for the various stages of this process. We''l need to do a little talking before we start building here.

Rob.

Old 14-04-2007, 07:32 PM   #6

yeah, i did misunderstand....

but is it possible to make molds for most of the parts we need and cast them in resin?

then each of us could do a section or something and we all swap parts or
is that to much voodoo or unethical, or more trouble then its worth?
Old 14-04-2007, 07:37 PM   #7
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

If you assume that the large Hawk is in scale with the 44" Eagle then logically a half size Hawk must be in scale with the 22"-23" Eagle.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2007, 08:16 PM   #8
w8cmp
Science Officer

Size is fine by me...

I have one Man in Space kit in my collection...how rare are these to get hold of these days - haven't looked for one for a while ?
Old 14-04-2007, 08:30 PM   #9
Eagle-1

Allright,

That's why we need to discuss it before we start.

I wouldn't mind a large scale HAWK look in the smaller scaled size myself. The REAL smaller scale HAWK from the show wouldn't make as nice a display piece, in my opinion, and the large HAWK look would be nice, I think.

If y'all would rather go for a nicer, 'true' to scale small sized version, I'm all for it. A proper sized CM wouldn't take but a couple days once we decided on some DIMS. (If folks aren't comfortable with me making it, one of y'all raise your hands.)

Once we've got a CM, the rest is down hill if you ask me.

This could present a slight problem though guys. I know for sure my CM will work with the MIS rockets because that's what the AB Models HAWK I made it for is based on. What would be the proper scale Saturn rockets, who made them and can we get them?

Northerner, doing it that way would basically be providing a kit. No need for us to do that if we stick to readily available model kits. The finished birds will be light as a feather too. It would also be asking one guy to buy everything, basically make everything and then have to get his money back. Cause some hard feelings about the whole thing if it goes bad too. With everyone doing it on their own, you get tired of it, just stop. Make any sense?

Now where did I put that 1/288 scale rocket...........

Rob.
Old 14-04-2007, 08:46 PM   #10
Eagle-1

Seems I may have been wrong thinking that we could get the Man In Space rocket collection easily too?

This may be over before it begins unless any of you guys already have two of these kits?

I do, but I wanted a few to join in.

Rob.

Old 14-04-2007, 09:14 PM   #11
Eagle-1

Yeah JD,

I just got back from there. It don't look good today, but you know how that place is. There may be 20 tomorrow.

Rob.
Old 15-04-2007, 07:20 AM   #12
w8cmp
Science Officer

Unless there's a way of casting up the required parts in resin...?

I've been scouring the net for the MIS set too, and turned up nothing.
Old 15-04-2007, 09:11 AM   #13
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

http://cgi.ebay.ca/AMT-1-200-Man-in-...QQcmdZViewItem

They appear fairly regularly. I'd wait a while for one to appear.
Old 15-04-2007, 09:55 AM   #14
w8cmp
Science Officer

Cheers Chris - I'd forgot that our UK Ebay doesn't always check all the US listings now...
Old 15-04-2007, 10:07 AM   #15
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Yes, that catches me too sometimes. You have to hit the "Worldwide" button or it just shows European sellers.

Old 15-04-2007, 10:58 AM   #16
Eagle-1

They are a fairly common kit from what I've seen, there just isn't many at the moment, since we're talking about them probably. I've never paid anywhere close to any $49.99 either. He's "throwing in" a shuttle for you on that one, but he could keep that and knock off the extra $25.00 for me. I suppose it's a sign of the times, but shipping from Canada can get pretty steep sometimes too. Not as bad as shipping to the UK yet, but still. Shipping's just getting bad all over.

The only ones I've seen go for that kinda price is the older MIS collection. I have seen those go for quite a bit before.

Have we decided that we would use this as our base kit yet? They do contain several pieces we could use, but if anyone can come up with something else, I'm all for it.

Rob.
Old 15-04-2007, 01:25 PM   #17

what parts does that kit contain that we need?
Old 15-04-2007, 01:37 PM   #18
Eagle-1

Well, let's see.......

Open the box, turn it upside down and shake it hard several times and then beat on the bottom of the box a few times too.

Whatever falls out, we can probably use.

Rob.
Old 15-04-2007, 01:42 PM   #19
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

You have to remember it's 1/200th scale so you'll end up with a Hawk slightly bigger than two thirds the size of the original large one.
Old 15-04-2007, 01:53 PM   #20
w8cmp
Science Officer

Is there any other kit available that would be a more appropriate size...I'm not aware of one...

Do we know how Martin Bower created the half scale Hawk - I assume he did not use kit parts to replicate the Saturn items on the larger model.