SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 06-04-2007, 02:12 PM   #41
ajmadison
Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR
At least some distributors like Squadron in the US will let the buyer know of potential scale issues/re-pops of older kits in their catalogs. For example, some of the 'new' Revell tank kits will have the accompanying note 'Ex-Matchbox Kit' next to the catalog entry.
BTW, not to hi-jack the original thread, but for anyone building up their 1/72 collection, I am because I'm stocking up for building a couple of 1/2 Studio Scale Star Wars FX miniatures, you should check out the small scale forum at www.track-link.net. They'll tell you which kits are good, which 'new' kits are re-pops of another company's mold, and which are dogs, though they actually attempt to assemble their kits to resemble the picture on the box.
ajmadison is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2007, 05:23 AM   #42
CR
Science Officer

Okey-dokey... I've finally gotten a camera, and decided to take some pics to illustrate scale studies we've been discussing off and on in this thread.
For the photos I took, I used the following:
--a PE12 Eagle Transporter, claimed to be 1/72 scale
--a moonbuggy from the PE12 Deluxe Gift Set
--one of my 1/72 scale Alphanauts, which I converted from Airfix Apollo astronauts & which appear in my avatar
--the silver-grey 1/96 scale astronaut I found in the 1/700 scale Furutaka kit
--a 1/110 scale Alphan from the Moonbase Alpha kit

The photos have captions that explain what each represents, so without further ado... Scale: 1999!

Thanks for viewing. Comments & constructive corrections welcome!
CR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2007, 05:35 AM   #43
BrianS
Communications Officer

Silver guy definitely seems to be the closest accurate scale.
BrianS is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2007, 05:43 AM   #44
CR
Science Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianS
Silver guy definitely seems to be the closest accurate scale.
Yup. Definitely the final nail in the coffin that moved me away from my years-old stance about the Alphans from the Moonbase Alpha kit. (Lots of the discussion & screen caps in this thread already had me moving.) Nice to see that it so closely matches the PE12 Moonbuggy, too!

edited to add: It's amazing how many flaws stand out in my Alphanaut, once he's blown up to such a huge size in the photos!
Old 24-04-2007, 05:49 AM   #45
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

I think you're right. When I heard that it was supposed to be 1/72 I kept wondering how all my old 1/72 pilots (and 1/76 for that matter) would have fit, and couldn't see it happening. It begins to make you realize just how big the eagle is in "real life." I hope the diorama went back together ok BTW.[/code]
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 24-04-2007, 06:00 AM   #46
CR
Science Officer

I now firmly believe that the scale of the old Airfix Eagle kit was supposed to be 1/96, and a typo made it 1/76, a designation which stuck around for decades. Now that 1/76 has morphed into 1/72 industry-wide, that designation stuck with the PE's. (I know, I've already mentioned it, but to anyone who hasn't read the entire thread, I thought it might be pertinent to repeat it, especially in light of the photographic evidence I was finally able to post.)
And don't forget, there's some 'wiggle room' with all this... each individual may not have access to the same figures, so something around 1/100 is going to be close enough. I personally wouldn't go bigger than 1/87 or smaller than 1/110, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony42
I hope the diorama went back together ok BTW.[/code]
Yeah, I hope it goes back together well, too, when I get around to putting it back together. Didn't have the heart to fix it right away, though.

edited once to clarify wording
Old 24-04-2007, 07:24 AM   #47
Garuda
Eagle Pilot

Interesting... Good pictures.

I agree that the PE is approximately 1:96 scale. According to Jim Small's FAQ, the 11" models were built in that scale, which follows from the 44" Eagle being 1:24.

As you know, I also modified Airfix astronauts (in my case from the astronaut set, not the LM model, but I believe they are the same) and immediately saw that they are too big as soon as the box had been opened.

I did some calculations from measuring the three figures in your photo, and the size relationships between them agrees very well with 1:72, 1:96 and 1:110. I was I little confused, as I thought my astronauts are 1:87 (it says HO scale on the box), but I was wrong, they are 1:72.
Garuda is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2007, 07:36 AM   #48
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

I will admit my complete ignorance of Maths and ask, as the PE is about 12" how do we adjust the scale if the 11"s are 1/96? I am assuming we are still in the same ball park.
Old 24-04-2007, 08:16 AM   #49
Garuda
Eagle Pilot

A 12" Eagle translates to scale 1:88.

I haven't really measured the PE model. Is it 12" exactly?

Of course, when comparing figures to models, the matter is further complicated further by the fact that the full scale sets doesn't match the models. A figure in the "correct" scale still looks too big in front of the door, compared to actors on the set. But that's another story.

(edited for clarification, hopefully...)
Old 24-04-2007, 08:26 AM   #50
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Thanks for that. Lots of poetic licence in the sets. Looking at the walk way on Eagle 1 as per the pictures on Mark42's site, the actors would be entering the the CM on their hands and knees

Old 24-04-2007, 10:45 AM   #51
TonyB
Forum Supporter

Good reference pictures CR, thanks for posting those.
TonyB is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2007, 06:47 PM   #52
CR
Science Officer

You're very welcome, TonyB!

Garuda, thanks for your calculations... and no, unbelievably, I failed to actually measure the PE12 from nose to tail! I'll get to it later today, but in the meantime, if anyone else wants post the measurement, please do so!

I figured having a range of figure scales allows individual modellers to try to reconcile the mismatch between models & interior sets in their own way, to their own preferences. I'm going with 1/96 because of the 'typo' thing I postulated... corroborating evidence so to speak, even though it's speculative.

I just know DX is going to show that pic from "ATAP" again to throw all my arguments out the window, though...
Old 24-04-2007, 09:17 PM   #53
Garuda
Eagle Pilot

OK, found my ruler now...

A PE is 301 mm long, or 11.85" (11 17/20" ? Do you write like that? I'm born metric.)

That means a scale of 1:89, but this is hardly an exact science, so that kind of precision is a little silly. 12", 1:88 will do fine.

And while we're at it, I measured the Dinky to 222 mm, which translates to scale 1:121.

I agree with CR, 1:96 figures looks very fine with the PE and a little up or or down from that will do also. I enjoyed those photos. I hope your Airfix astronauts were not damaged. I feel like they are related to my Airfix crew, and if I didn't live so far away I would have liked to have the little guys introduced.
Old 24-04-2007, 09:39 PM   #54
CR
Science Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garuda
I hope your Airfix astronauts were not damaged.
The astronauts themselves are OK, as is the scratchbuilt tripod-mounted camera, amazingly enough! Basically, everything except the storage crates just popped off of the base.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garuda
I feel like they are related to my Airfix crew, and if I didn't live so far away I would have liked to have the little guys introduced.
I love that idea! Alas, it may never come to pass, but at least it happened online!
Hmmm... There's a school project in the US called 'Flat Stanley', based on a children's book of the same name, wherein a little cutout paper person gets mailed to friends & relatives around the nation (or even around the world), eventually getting back to the original sender with photos of the journey taken by the various recipients along the way. Perhaps there's the option of mailing our little guys to each other & other members of the forum...our astronauts could travel the world, with each forum member taking a photo of the astronauts at some local place to document their 'layovers'.
Just a thought.

As for everyone's compliments so far, thanks! I figured that the pictures would really help the whole debate, even if they don't agree with the official studio model scale designations.
Old 24-04-2007, 09:42 PM   #55
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Quote:
I just know DX is going to show that pic from "ATAP" again to throw all my arguments out the window, though...
I'm saying nothing.

However, most of the cast have to duck slightly to leave the pod. There are lots of shots where the door height equals almost exactly the height of a man. How big that man is is another question.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 24-04-2007, 09:46 PM   #56
CR
Science Officer

Old 29-04-2007, 06:52 AM   #57
CR
Science Officer

I'm going to post another few pics showing a couple more figures at different scales, as small as 1/144 scale and a couple more 'in between' scales, just to show off the range. I'm also going to show the figs next to a Dinky Eagle for comparison against the PE12.
Give me a day or two to get the whole thing set up & uploaded. (Darn work shifts keeping me away, but I've a couple days off after today!)
Old 10-05-2007, 09:31 PM   #58
Stewart_R
Life Support Technician

The entire scale issue has bothered me since I assembled my first MPC eagle 30 years ago. I just ignore the dimensions of the interior sets and assume a length of 92 ft. This makes the 23 in.Eagle to be 1: 48 scale. Whichs puts a 1:72 scale Eagle at 15 and a third inches long. And this makes my first scratchbuilt Eagle just a fraction over 3 inches at 1:350 scale.(figured I'd start small, then work my way up) Which makes it a little too big for the PL refit hanger, but should look nice docked to the primary hull with one of those magically appearing docking tubes.( I love to mix hardware from different sources)
Stewart_R is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 11:26 PM   #59
doon
Communications Officer

The 1/110 scale works for me
doon is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 04:04 AM   #60
CR
Science Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by doon
The 1/110 scale works for me
...now that your entire hangar is populated with figures in that scale!