Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > Ring Around the Moon

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 27-09-2010, 09:07 PM   #1
JD
Medical Officer

Default Come Back, Mrs.Noah

Come Back, Mrs.Noah.

Just mentioning this one 'for the record', opinions on the actual show notwithstanding!

A (deservedly) little-seen effort from the Perry/Croft machine in 1978, this featured a few of Martin Bower's models, namely the principle location, a British space-station.

Pretty sure it played here only the once, very late on a school-night in 1979. I only dragged myself out of bed to watch it as it was mentioned in Bower's Starlog interview, and even then I only kept it up for five weeks and missed the final episode!

The start and end credits are on You-Tube, along with one dire clip. Seeing it again after 30 years I'm actually very impressed with the image of Earth rotating in the titles. Way beyond the static artwork the Beeb used for most such shots at the time.

The station is quite a nice model. Looks like one of Martin's week-end kit-bashes. Four Saturn Vs and some Airfix Eagle bits (very evident in the end credits!). There may be a still of it on Martins 'Model World' video, in the DrWho section.

I also have a vague memory (no VCR in 1979!) of a shuttle and gantry, probably in the first episode.
JD is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2010, 11:16 AM   #2
TonyB
Forum Supporter

That is interesting, I vaguely remember the title of the show, but cannot for the life of me ever remember seeing any part of the series.
TonyB is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2010, 03:55 PM   #3
mike s
Communications Officer

it was utterly dire and was cancelled after about 2 weeks wasn't it..?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyB View Post
That is interesting, I vaguely remember the title of the show, but cannot for the life of me ever remember seeing any part of the series.
mike s is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2010, 04:44 PM   #4
TonyB
Forum Supporter

You can tell the program was by Perry/Croft just by looking at the actors sitting round the table.
TonyB is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2010, 07:44 PM   #5
JD
Medical Officer

No argument here - it really was terrible! I zealously sat through five episodes, 99% for any modelwork but also trying to wring a vague laugh out of the material. The only thing that gave me the slightest chuckle was one of those 'everyone around a table' scenes where the station commander was trying to explain orbital mechanics by example. By the end of the scene everyone was holding up and rotating/spinning various objects and bits of fruit...

Maybe you had to be there...

Apparently it was out on DVD in 2008 (I dare you!). The cover shows Martin's station model being used on-set as a prop, which is a scene I wouldn't mind seeing again (probably with the sound down).

Really I only mention it as a footnote in the lexicon of Martin's work, and that of the BBC FX department. The few shots available on You-Tube suggest a standard of work a cut above the norm for the period.

The end titles are also interesting for the close-ups and for the fact that the actors were obviously comped in using Ultimatte, with it's ability to mix the two different video sources, rather than the 'either/or' Chromakey process in use on Blake's 7, which results in that flat look and the obvious 'boiling' at the matte line.

A case of "Nice video, shame about the song!"

Found this small pic from the titles:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CBMN-Station01.jpg (6.9 KB, 34 views)
JD is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 28-09-2010, 09:19 PM   #6
alfalfa
Communications Officer

I remember this as well. There was a terrible spacewalk bit done in dodgy chromakey with totally obvious Airfix Eagle bits as the backdrop. Truely one of the lowest points of BBC sitcom. Basically it was a cross between 'Are You Being Served' and the worst ever episode of Dr Who.
alfalfa is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2010, 11:35 PM   #7
Exterminator
Deputy Commander

I remember watching this as well (not bad for 32 years ago!) - I remember the theme tune, I also seem to recall a scene where the gravity had failed and Mrs. Noah was stuck in mid air. She eventually used her perfume spray as a "booster" to get back down.

It was funnier than I've written it, but only just!
Exterminator is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 05:41 PM   #8
copernicus
Medical Technician

Didn't it star Molly Sugden of Are yoiu being served fame ?
copernicus is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote