Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > Breakaway > Blakes 7

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 21-07-2010, 04:35 PM   #21
MangaMax
Eagle Pilot

Ooops, my bad - meant to say Shuttle but said Saturn for some reason. But that's okay as i've still got them Actually, its kinda frustrating that Mat didn't use more Shuttle parts here as i've bought two of the kits just for the External Tanks that i need for the B7 Ore Ship 8/
Exterminator - you the man. TOP photos once more and i'm indebted to you matey. I'll look into the Lunar lander idea, ditto the prong things.
Its a very frustrating project in that there's many parts here that are so familiar - those two squarish shapes dead centre on the top being the most annoying - but just not quite reconisible
MangaMax is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2010, 05:19 PM   #22
Exterminator
Deputy Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by MangaMax View Post
I'll look into the Lunar lander idea, ditto the prong things.
The "round bits" definitely DON'T look like EMA dished heads or elliptical domes (as they've got a slight flange to them), so the "Lander" is my best guess whilst sat "kit-less" at work!! The Airfix Saturn, Space Shuttle and Lunar Lander kits seem to have been a favourite "choice of weapon" for use as detailing parts.

Quote:
Actually, its kinda frustrating that Mat didn't use more Shuttle parts here as i've bought two of the kits just for the External Tanks that i need for the B7 Ore Ship 8/
Never mind, it could be worse - you could be trying to recreate the Nostromo engine room, in which case you'd be about 198 kits short!!
Exterminator is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2010, 07:22 PM   #23
skiffy
Communications Officer

Just above the ema ladder is half of a heat exchanger from an F1 rocket engine (Saturn 5).
skiffy is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2010, 07:52 PM   #24
Slate Mcleod
Communications Officer

Guys...could the round parts you're talking about simply be plastic screw cap covers ?

They come varying sizes and shapes depending on the manufacturer and I've certainly seen some that match the profile of those circular dome pieces...

Slate Mcleod is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2010, 08:38 PM   #25
MangaMax
Eagle Pilot

Cheers again Slate.
There's no way i'm gonna make this a 100% accurate version, so if i can't find any dome thingies then the screw cap option would be the way to go.
Oh, and forgot to say earlier - yes, you're right. That is half an X Wing gun part on the upper section.
Exterminator - if you need one, you can have one for nowt.

Old 21-07-2010, 10:25 PM   #26
CaptanApollo
Astrophysics Technician

Star Wars x wing wing tip gun pod
CaptanApollo is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2010, 11:11 PM   #27
Exterminator
Deputy Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
The wiggets on the front of the two 'arms' are Plastruct/EMA 'Mercury Vapour Hazard Gd' light fixtures.

I can't spot them on the EMA site, which is maddenly hard to navigate compared to the US Plastruct one! Of course EMA just has to use different product codes to the parent company!
The fact that EMA's site and catalogue are illustrated with pen "sketches" rather than proper photos doesn't help much, either! Ironically, there's a beautiful photo of a display of all the vessel, piping, structure, etc. system ranges on the rear cover of the catalogue, but of course, everything's so small you can't make anything out! AARRGGHHH!!

I can't find the 'Mercury Vapour Hazard Gd' light fixtures on the site or their catalogue - it might be a "USA-only" job perhaps?? I'll see if I can phone them. The nearest "things" that look similar (going by the scribbly sketches) are something like the push-in parts of the "snap-on tees". I've seen those little light fixture thigies on at least one other of Mat's models - the Atlay Shuttle, if I remember correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MangaMax
Strange sort of shape flanking each side of the tube eh? They don't look kit-like, more like something you'd find on a bike pump or something.
Found them!! Another EMA part, "hinges/sleeves" - LS-(xx)-yy (where "xx" is the colour code and "yy" (I assume - not their best drawing) is the inside diameter) - they all appear to be 19mm long. They're on page 23 of the catalogue or here on the EMA website. That'll save hours of "fun" hand-carving bits of vessel tube to match!!

Quote:
The dome on the front/middle is almost certainly an EMA Tube Cap
With the "push-in" bit cut off? Could be!! I measured the Airfix Lunar Module feet with my micrometer (I need to get out more!) and they have a diameter of 12.4mm. I took photos of all the frames, just in case there's anything else "interesting" on them, I'll put the photos up tomorrow. I'll also see if I can do the same with my Saturn V kit.
Old 22-07-2010, 02:58 AM   #28
CaptanApollo
Astrophysics Technician

Part of F1 engine Airfix saturn 5
CaptanApollo is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2010, 03:53 PM   #29
Exterminator
Deputy Commander

I've managed to get a bigger image of the rear end of the Scout Ship, and I've added all the "known" bits (thanks, everyone!) - if I've missed anything, let me know.

I'm not sure that the main tube at the back is an Airfix Shuttle tank - it looks like the ribbed detailing to the right is some sort of corrugated plastic (or something similar) that's been glued on - it looks like it's pulling away from the surface of the tube

Quote:
And in the top view pic, just behind the starboard Tube Cap looks like a piece from the Airfix 1/76 Lee/Grant Tank.
I have "lovingly stolen" an image of the kit off eBay, and it certainly looks like it, going by the box art. Nice one!! Just below it is what looks like a small model/toy machine gun!

The final attachment is a nice big close-up of some of the as-yet-unidentified rear end bits!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Andromedan_rear_bigger.jpg (96.4 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg eBay Lee Grant tank kit.jpg (19.7 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg Close-up.jpg (88.3 KB, 76 views)
Old 22-07-2010, 04:01 PM   #30
MangaMax
Eagle Pilot

Exterminator - you the Man once again
Ta ever so for putting these up.
Studying them, its clear there's definetly been damage and repair in its lifetime. Have you noticed in your pic "Andromedia front", the two rounded shapes up top are a perfect match to the EMA Tube Cap that sits on the front of the prong - but in "Andromedia dark" and in one of these latest one's you've put up, there's quite an undercut to them. As if the tubular section that's under the rounded part has been removed, leaving an undercut or a totally new piece entirely.

Old 22-07-2010, 05:38 PM   #31
Exterminator
Deputy Commander

Quote:
"Andromedia front"
Sounds like a medical condition - "Oooh Matron"!!

Quote:
Studying them, its clear there's definetly been damage and repair in its lifetime.
I can't say I'm surprised!! A few years ago I visited Mat's house, and while I was there he was packing some models for exhibiting at a show. Oh, did I say "packing"? I meant to say he was chucking things in cardboard boxes, anything that snapped off was (he said) to be stuck back on with superglue!!
Old 24-07-2010, 05:52 AM   #32
Hectors House
Astrophysics Technician

More X-wing parts on the rear (Lazer cannon parts). Fuel pump taken from a Saturn V F1 engine half, a Travelling Crane wheel, a slipper tank from a 1/72nd aircraft and I think that there is a part from Refuelling set in there?
Hectors House is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2010, 05:45 PM   #33
astrocat
Medical Technician

Hare are a couple more bits.
I can't believe I'm doing this - it's probably my all time least favorite model! Still, kit spotting is kit spotting

Keith
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Andromedan_rear_extra.jpg (65.6 KB, 53 views)
astrocat is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2010, 06:57 PM   #34
Hectors House
Astrophysics Technician

Mustang or Hurricane either browning will do.
Hectors House is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2010, 01:53 AM   #35
Slate Mcleod
Communications Officer

I feel the urge to say the words "Airfix Flying Fortress" but thats mostly because I've been drinking Vodka and Coke all night and everything is rather blurred Tomorrow I will wish i was able to delete this particular post. It seems I have kit parts tourette syndrome.

"Millenium Falcon landing leg !"

(see i told you )
Slate Mcleod is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 25-07-2010, 05:00 PM   #36
Stu73
Communications Officer

What kind of hairdryers were used? I always thught that they were Philips ones...
Stu73 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2010, 11:10 PM   #37
Exterminator
Deputy Commander

Mat used a pair of Morphy Richards "Classic" hairdryers - either model number 4822 (2-speed) or 4828 (single speed) - the outer casings are identical.

Gosh, I must get out more!!
Old 26-07-2010, 06:32 AM   #38
MangaMax
Eagle Pilot

Yep, i used the 4822. They're a bit of a bugger to open and get the motor etc out (a prob Mat didn't have originally as they'd been sent a whole bunch of the basic body shells direct from the factory).
Incidently - and this is why i like studio rebuilds so much - making it reveals reasons why some things are the way they are.
Here, the plate that has all the detail in the middle where the two hairdryers meet is there to cover up the raised "Morphy Richards" logo.
Old 27-07-2010, 09:33 AM   #39
Exterminator
Deputy Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrocat View Post
I can't believe I'm doing this - it's probably my all time least favorite model! Still, kit spotting is kit spotting

Keith
Thanks Keith!! You realise that there's going to be more of these ships about now - and you helped!!

I "found" a photo of the kit on eBay, and I think I have circled the appropriate part.

Phil
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SRN1bit.JPG (66.8 KB, 64 views)
Old 27-07-2010, 10:57 AM   #40
Exterminator
Deputy Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exterminator View Post
I'll see if I can phone them.
I got around to phoning EMA today, and asked them about Plastruct parts not in the EMA catalogue (using JD's "Mercury Vapor Light" LF-212, which are $0.75 each, as an example).

Yes, it is possible to order non-catalogue stuff, EMA place an order with Plastruct every two weeks, and it would be included with that order. EMA's usual 12.00 minimum order value still applies, and it would be OK to order just ONE item - you don't need to order a 20-foot container of them!!

Tags
blakes 7, capsule, federation, pursuit ship, spacemaster