Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Main Mission > Launch Pad

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 01-08-2017, 11:29 PM   #21
Boldman
Eagle Pilot

Very busy weekend with some interesting progress. First off a new tool arrived in the post:

This is a type of resin/glue that sets with the application of UV light! You get a sort of pen tool which has the glue liquid in one end and a UV LED int he other, seen here:

I found it really useful for the LEDs in the bottom of the pods as you can see above. I'd originally tried it with CA but it would not set and I hate CA anyway, so used this instead - bloody marvellous! Here is what it looks like with 2 LEDs secured in it. In this case one is a flashing green and the other is bright white. This time I'm putting landing lights on all the leg pods and the rear ones will also have flashing red or green.

Here is the rear port pod lit up with the camera on a long exposure

Also arriving this weekend was the 7.9mm tube that I wanted to use for the supports for the Eagle. This meant I spent most of yesterday working on the base which now looks a bit more business-like:

The supports are not yet glued in but I've drilled about 5mm into the wooden base to give them a secure foundation. Two of them have also had the power plug araldited to the tops and the wires for the power allowed to exit via holes at a level above the lower polystyrene layer but under the upper one. I've also built a box for the battery and added an on/off switch:

This final pic for now shows the upper layer of polystyrene added with the panel surrounding the silo and lining the hole glued on, along with a scratch built structure that hides the battery. This was built using a chopped up Kinder Egg and the whole thing stays in place with some magnets buried in the polystyrene. *

I hit a bit of a brick wall however as I realised that connecting the power from the cargo pallet to the rear walkway would be a complete pain in the ar... neck and means the construction sequence will need to be short cut and that introduces all sorts of alignment risks. It would have mean that the rear walkway and the cargo pallet would have had to be stuck together before I can be 100% certain of the alignment *However, driving back from work yesterday evening an absolutely brilliant came to me which I started work on last night and it seems to be working... more on that in the next post...

Last edited by Boldman; 02-08-2017 at 02:59 PM.
Boldman is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 10:16 AM   #22
Eureka
Forum Supporter

Nice work. I am going to add some LED's to my build now as the one thing that was stopping me was a glue for the led's I wanted to use as I dislike ca as its so unpredictable.

I have looked at the UV cured resin/glue for a while & kept meaning to buy some to try.
I've just ordered a couple of tubes as it looks like the perfect solution.
Eureka is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 02:58 PM   #23
Boldman
Eagle Pilot

I'm amazed at how useful it is - since I got it at the weekend I've used it in so many places - gluing the magnets in, wires, LEDs - anywhere where I might have used CA before - I HATE CA!
Old 02-08-2017, 06:01 PM   #24
Goldy.
Hydroponics Technician

Yes, keep posting! I'm getting one of these shortly and always enjoy a good Eagle build.
Goldy. is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 11:33 PM   #25
Boldman
Eagle Pilot

Busy couple of evenings sorting out the power solution I came up with on Monday!

The wires come through holes drilled in the sides of the walkway and come to a 1.5mm socket, while on the cargo pallet the wires are supported inside 3mm plastic tube bored out a bit further than as supplied to allow the wires to pass through, then there is a 90 degree bend at the top to end in a pin which interfaces with the socket on the walkway.

The 90 degree bend was the most tricky part of this whole thing and is a bit fragile. Here you see the filler used to fill the gaps in the bend. The vertical pipe is only glued at the base which gives it a bit of flex but also makes it fragile. It should be okay as this is really only needed for the initial construction. Once built they will remain joined together.

Inside the walkway, the power socket and the bracing terminator have been added for the support tubes:

and the walkway is supported thus:

I've been testing the power supply all the way through these construction phases and the LEDs still work

Next job is the construction of the engine exhausts and final construction on the leg pods and then maybe we might look at some paint...

Old 03-08-2017, 02:36 PM   #26
Dantor
Chef

Great idea/solution with the tubes! (bows)
Dantor is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 10:52 PM   #27
Boldman
Eagle Pilot

I'm a bit behind with the posting, so this will be a bigger update. Starting with some more construction stages, here the walkway shelves have been assembled and sanded - these usually require*lots of sanding as the joint is a bit ropey, one of the worst aspects of this kit.

The tops of the walkways - they have not been put on yet so that I still have access to do the wiring. Here you can see the extra greeblies I've added which were left over from other parts of the kit that were meant to go on the underside of the passenger pod

Similarly, I've used some left over pices on the sides of the walkway to fill in some empty spaces.

The feet have been glued together*and here the filler is drying ready to sand down the gaps and joints

Next, I return to the base. One of the main features of the base will be the nuclear waste silo cap.*Using the cone template from before, I cut out a piece of 0.5mm plastic sheet and joinrd it into a cone using boiling water to help soften the plastic. I then scratch built the box to fit on the front from plastic card. Next, I cut several concentric rings out of 2mm thick card for the top of the cone which holes int he centre of each to allow the LED wires to pass through.

Now to start messing about with some paint... first off primer! The feet have been sanded smooth and given a coat of grey Halfords primer since they will be painted black/dark grey

Next the*spine, cargo pallet and winch have been primed in white from a Tamiya rattle can

Here you can see the rest of the components primed either in white or black gloss for the pieces that will be painted with Alclad.

Here are two 10ml pots of Ford Diamond White paint, decanted from a Halfords aerosol can. This was from an old can I had left over from last year but when I sprayed it onto a test piece, the gas was bubbling out of the paint and gave the finish a sort of pebble-dash effect. So instead I decanted it and let it stand for a while to let it degass.

Back to the silo cap and here I started adding the vertical strakes to the cone, but sadly didn't do a great job here

So in the end I took them off using a sharp scalpel and a great deal of care! Then*started again, doing a much better job of it!

I also added some details to the console. The purple on the LED is masking fluid for the paint that is to come soon. The extra-flexible*wire I ordered arrive today and that means I can finish the wiring in the walkways. I needed the wire to be extra flexible as it will need to be able to be pushed back into the walkway when the leg pods get inserted. I had issues with that on the previous build so this time I've invested in some different wire that should help.

More on that and further painting, next time...
Old 08-08-2017, 11:43 AM   #28
pfleming@jbt.co.uk
Communications Officer

Default Details, details, details......

Didn't realise you were building a fully functional set Boldman. Fitting out the Eagle and the winch module with electrical connections is a stunning piece of work, first of its kind on the ETF unless I'm much mistaken. I'm working on my own Eagle's landing pads and legs at the moment, but have elected not to fill the seams on the undersides - I like the look of them the way they are.

Anyway, please continue to show us your progress - you have an expectant audience who can't wait to see the finished article in full "lifting mode!"

Kindest regards

Patrick
pfleming@jbt.co.uk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 09:59 AM   #29
pjskeldon
Communications Officer

Have been following this thread with great interest.

Just received confirmation my Cargo Eagle is being dispatched (by Jumblies models in the UK) so should be breaking cellophane sometime before the weekend.

Interesting that Jumblies are advertising a pre-built and painted version (of the basic Transporter) for sale from the end of the year...

Phil.
pjskeldon is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 10:04 AM   #30
Boldman
Eagle Pilot

That was announced by Round2 earlier this year. Will be interesting to see what the build quality will be like as there are a handful of 'gotchas' with this kit, even though overall its an excellent build.

Edit: thats a good price for people who build and sell themselves I sold my first Eagle build on eBay for less than that but still at an amount that I was very happy with.

Old 09-08-2017, 02:08 PM   #31
Eureka
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjskeldon View Post
Have been following this thread with great interest.

Just received confirmation my Cargo Eagle is being dispatched (by Jumblies models in the UK) so should be breaking cellophane sometime before the weekend.

Phil.
My wife bought me the pre order of my cargo eagle for my 50th birthday in July (from Jumblies models) & she told me last night that I would be receiving a package sometime later this week.
Cant wait. Looks to be a great build & I have so many new ideas.
Eureka is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2017, 07:39 AM   #32
Boldman
Eagle Pilot

There has been a bit of a hiatus in the posting here simply because its got to the painting stage and the primer stages are not very interesting. However the base coat is now on all the major pieces and the "interesting" bits start again.

I say interesting but its a pretty tedious process, because this is the stage I call "Not more bloody masking!" Today has been spent applying various sized pieces of masking tape to the cockpit beak and all 4 leg pods in preparation for the light grey panels to be airbrushed on. Here is the beak with the previous Eagle's for comparison:

and here are all 4 leg pods

I'm not sure why I make myself go through this chore when I could just use the colour blocks from the decals I printed out for the last build, but I guess I'm just peculiar that way or have a fetish for yellow masking tape...*
Old 14-08-2017, 11:44 AM   #33
pfleming@jbt.co.uk
Communications Officer

Default Behind the mask......

Hi Boldman, you're further on than me and I can't wait to see the results of all your intricate work. I'm using spraycans and, for me, I have got a nice gloss finish on the cages, spine and walkways - transfers and washes underway.

Here's the thing - I really like the look of the Eagle the way it is, and I'm not sure now whether I want to go down the route of lots of grey panels. These iconic craft must have looked pristine when they rolled off the production line, so maybe I'll go for that kind of appearance!

Anyway, quick question - saw something on a previous MPC Eagle construction thread about snipping a couple of rings off each of the springs for the landing gear, makes her sit a wee bit lower on her legs once she's landed. Is this right enough? I'm heading towards all of these small, but important, parts of the construction so if people have done this before, I'd welcome any advice.

Will wait for your next lot of pictures with great interest, Boldman!!

Kindest regards

Patrick
pfleming@jbt.co.uk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2017, 12:13 PM   #34
badsimmonds
Eagle Pilot

Great work, you have more patience than I on this sort of thing.
I managed to get a set of springs from Uncle Bill which enabled the eagle to sit lower than the provided springs. I imagine cutting a bit off them would give the same result, I'll look forward to hearing what Boldman answers.
Looking forward to further updates.
badsimmonds is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2017, 01:21 PM   #35
Boldman
Eagle Pilot

I did cut the springs in a previous build but it didn't really work - the springs were loose even though it did sit a bit lower. Recently I got a couple of sets of springs from Uncle Bill and replaced the snipped ones and it now looks MUCH better!

Cutting the springs was an interesting experiment but one that ultimately failed

As for the pristineness of an Eagle - this one is a working cargo vehicle therefore I'd imagine it getting a bit mucky from all the hovering over dusty moonscapes

Old 16-08-2017, 12:30 PM   #36
Eaglelover
Computer Technician

Wow very nice work so far and well thought too, I like the lighting under the landing pods!
Eaglelover is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2017, 12:30 PM   #37
Boldman
Eagle Pilot

Thanks EagleLover

This past week has all been about painting, decaling and washing. First off, the masking tape came off the beak and pods after spraying with Tamiya XF-20. Sadly there are quite a few instances of paint creep - can't honestly say I did a great job with the masking. Will need to touch the edges up with a paintbrush*

The the winch was masked and sprayed with XF 20. This was a little more effective but still needed some touching up.

The shelves have been decaled and weathered. Most of the decals*came from the hover bike kit apart from the chequers*which were from decals printed for the last Eagle build.

The engines have had 54 decals applied - kit decals and some from the hover bike. Wasn't sure about the red warning stripes at first but they are growing on me

58 decals applied to the spine - printed ones and stripes from some railway lining decals I've picked up over the years. The spine has now been given a dirt wash since this pic was taken.

The two walkways have had a dozen or so decals added to each one and dirtied down with a wash

Next the cargo pallet and the winch have been finally joined together after decals from the kit and hover bike set have been applied. If you look very carefully on the left you'll see the vertical electrical connection at the far side had to be modified as it was too low - only discovered that on testing the fit yet again! Thank god for testing! The LEDs protected by masking fluid still work however*

This weekend will be about more masking on the beak and pods to add the pale blue panel and then decals...
Old 19-08-2017, 01:46 PM   #38
Monsignore
Hydroponics Technician

Colour me impressed...
Monsignore is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2017, 05:10 PM   #39
EagleNut
Weapons Technician

Looking gooood !

But heavy duty Eagle = dirty .....
EagleNut is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote