SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 27-08-2017, 05:29 PM   #1
Monsignore
Chef

Default Work In Progress: Dinky Eagle Restoration and Face Lifting

Carissimi fratelli:

As I've commented in another thread, I'm recovering the toys I had as a kid - this has to be something related to old age

When I was fourteen I built - thanks to a friend who went to London and brought it to me - the Airfix Eagle. Forty years later, it's time to get it back. However, as I'm pseudocollecting my old toys in diecast, I wanted something more heavy. So I found on ebay a Dinky Eagle (never heard of it before) and went for it.

Judging from the pics - and for the price asked - a MIB it wasn't: missing main motor, side thrusters broken, paint chipped... Well, just another Carter landing. So the same day I ordered a engine unit and replacement side thrusters.

Here it is:

Not bad, in overall. The legs spring, there are no deep dents... this I can live with.

Moreover, the remaining pieces are OK. Lift thrusters are perfect, and the pod legs and doors are nice.

Objective: Not just to restore it to its original Dinky appearance, but to something resembling a TV Eagle, something I would had fallen for when a kid - I'd never bought a green Eagle (insert facepalm here). Oh, and do it on a budget, too.

So let's get started:

Following Toy Polloi's great tutorials, the first stage is to disassembly it:

Then, wash the 40-years-grime from the plastic parts with abundant soap, and soak the metal pieces in gel paint remover.

Now, for the spine. A bit of filing doesn't help a lot. It's ugly.

So, let's try with a bit of cable. Stripped an optical fiber cable I found in a drawer, cut it to small pieces, and glued it to the appropriate places.

Looks better, so I went on and cut some green whatstheirnames - something to keep bags closed, it seems - I found in a dollar store, dremel a hole in them, and glue them to the spine where the fore and aft modules would hang from.

Nice - the green bits don't respond to Humbrol glue - I hadn't expected them to, but Hope springs eternal - neither to cyano. So here we go back to good ol' epoxy, that is not particularly easy to handle. As you can see, there are a couple of smears that will need to be addressed later.

To be continued...
Monsignore is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 07:17 AM   #2
Monsignore
Chef

Working on the struts:

Now I need some liquid putty to fill the gaps.
Old 13-09-2017, 08:02 PM   #3
moonhugger
Forum Supporter

For me the green Dinky was the best - I had one as a kid but was probably too young to understand the show - DOB 1971. This is a cool project; it would be easy and probably right to go white with pale grey weathering but I hope it goes back to green.
Julian
Old 15-09-2017, 01:19 PM   #4
Crimson Binome
Communications Officer

Looking good I did try one and they are quite fun to work on
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1573.jpg (228.3 KB, 28 views)
Crimson Binome is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2017, 01:04 PM   #5
Eureka
Forum Supporter

My original green eagle was pulled out of my dads loft a couple of years ago along with my white cargo eagle (with all 4 cargo drums intact).
Both have quite a lot of play wear as they were one of my favourite toys.
That's the main reason they were stashed in the loft and not sold/given away years ago.

I was going through the dilemma of restoring both back to original or making them a little more accurate with correct colours.

Currently one is sat infront of me in grey primer, it has been for a while as time is short these days, but I have already decided I am going to paint both white with a little weathering for good measure.

I know they can only be original once but both were quite worn and chipped & either way as I have kept them for 40 years or so cant see me selling them now so I may as well paint them as I like.

I even got a spare main plastic frame from ebay with the idea of a few mods to see if the looks can be improved/made a little more correct.
I also bought a couple of sets of repro thrusters as both eagles had lost a few parts over the years.

I really must make some progress with mine, they are a nice little project.
I enjoy restoring diecast toys/models.
Eureka is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 17-09-2017, 12:25 AM   #6
Monsignore
Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Binome View Post
Looking good I did try one and they are quite fun to work on
Colour me impressed

Now I have a goal to aim for.
Old 17-09-2017, 09:06 PM   #7
Monsignore
Chef

Well, some parts have received a first priming & sanding.

I'm spending a lot more time that I've ever thought in redoing things I didn't like the result. Gluing cable, styrene, removing it, sanding again... The metal spine at the right side is V5.2, I think :-D

Oh, and a bit of a serendipity. I milled the top (ugly) and sides (missing) steering rockets in the command module (seriously, was it so difficult to make them, Dinky? I mean, the lower is good, the top was just a punch and the ones in the side weren't), planning to insert a round-headed nail in them. However, there was no way the nail would hang in the hole, so I made a small ball of cotton, put it in, and soaked it in cyano to have a surface to hold the... wait, there's no need of a nail now, just add a bit more of cyano and I have the semi-ball I need.

Now I think I need an airbrush. OMG...

Last edited by Monsignore; 17-09-2017 at 09:20 PM.
Old 25-09-2017, 01:46 AM   #8
Monsignore
Chef

Well, everything (me, too) has had a second priming now and is ready for preshading.

I've given up working on the struts after version 4 - I want it to be a toy, and adding shock absorbers would ruin the suspension (a poor excuse for being lazy, I'm afraid) and the Eagle could not be played with.

Glued strips and patches of Evergreen to give a bit more of enhancement, also created a 'fake frame' to avoid showing plain surfaces under the frame and to disguiss a bit the ugliness of the spine.

Next wednesday I'll go shopping for an airbrush, meanwhile I have a lot of work to do on my old air compressor.

Stay tuned.
Old 25-09-2017, 06:33 PM   #9
Eureka
Forum Supporter

Like the idea of the fake frame in the spine part & the addition of the details on the side of the command module (I might just have a go at that mod too).
I am in the process of trimming my spare plastic spine part to see if I like the look of it with the extra cross pieces removed.
I was just going to paint the metal spine matt black to try and hide it & might go with the matt black with some white plastic pieces (removed from the spare plastic spine) added to simulate the lower part of the spine frame.
Old 30-09-2017, 02:34 PM   #10
PMarlowe
Travel Tube Technician

If you like updated restored Dinky Eagles, I make a number of parts available on the Shapeways store.

Here is my augmented leg, available in several materials including Stainless Steel which looks fantastic - Shown here with Nickel Steel in front (slightly blurry and a bit browner) and Stainless Steel in back, which is very nice and silvery.

I also make a whole new spine, though yours looks like it's in great shape.

And these side thrusters which I like in Polished MEtal Plastic, but are also quite stunning if you want red.

(Slightly blurry image... sigh. Will have to do a reshoot)

As well as individual under thrusters without the connecting bar:

My shop is here:

Items can be found here:

Side Thrusters

Enhanced Landing Leg

Replacement spine

Or just browse my shop. I also make replacement pods, buggies in various model scales, and new pods, as well as pods for Konami Eagles.

MY SHOP: FOURTHD

Sean.
PMarlowe is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2017, 06:50 AM   #11
Dantor
Chef

Excellent work and MOds! (salute)

more more!!
Dantor is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 06:43 AM   #12
Monsignore
Chef

Angry as a... well, something very angry.

The job's not going badly, considering it's my first attempt with an airbrush (I think I've made all the beginner's errors, all condensed in three days), but when removing the masking tape after pre-panelling, half the paint on the CM has gone away (along with the primer). Seems that metal + lacquer primer + acrylic don't get along well.
Well, chalk another thing to the knowledge database.

Paint remover all over the CM, and let's go back to priming; I'll have a go with Tamiya white spray, says it doesn't react with acrylics.

Last edited by Monsignore; 03-10-2017 at 06:46 AM.
Old 03-10-2017, 06:45 AM   #13
Monsignore
Chef

PMarlowe, I'm in love with your legs (now I hear that, somehow it doesn't sound correct)
Old 03-10-2017, 09:32 AM   #14
Eureka
Forum Supporter

When I prime any bare metal I tend to use etch primer as I find it has a better hold than normal primer on metal parts.

PMarlowe I really do like the look of those legs.
Will have to see what funds are spare after all the bills are paid & hopefully will get at set at some point.
Old 12-10-2017, 03:11 PM   #15
Monsignore
Chef

Still alive and kicking...

Old 12-10-2017, 06:20 PM   #16
Monsignore
Chef

Pre-assembly:

Old 12-10-2017, 06:34 PM   #17
Monsignore
Chef

Reading, carissimi fratelli, is a lost art.

I bought some set of decals at ebay:

and I've been soaking them in water all the afternoon to stick them, without success. They're wet, but stuck to the paper.

Before resorting to buy another bunch of sets, I went to ask the seller how the seventh $%&/% are they meant to work, and I read on the page:

Quote:
These decals are stickers (not waterslide decals) and are easy to use. Cut around the stickers, 'peel off' the backing paper and stick them on. Very Easy, Clean and simple to do : )

Even in color. And bold. And I didn't read it.

I think I'm going to use the water to refresh my poor head.

Well, this weekend - promised indeps street riots and strikes permitting - it's white putty on the joints, stickers and final weathering and varnishing.

O, the light at the end of the tunnel...
Old 16-10-2017, 05:22 AM   #18
Eaglelover
Computer Technician

Very much improved indeed, well done.
Eaglelover is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2017, 09:50 AM   #19
Eureka
Forum Supporter

That's looking good.
I have some of those stickers sat on my desk for my eagle when I get round to painting it.

I am just giving the spare spine frame a trim to see if removing the extra bits dinky added make the spine look any better or worse. Its taking longer than I thought to get it how I wanted.
Old 16-10-2017, 06:20 PM   #20
Monsignore
Chef

Well, Eagle 6 is in short final.

I've spent the evening weathering - the funniest part - with a vengeance.

When all's said and done, Eagles are workhorses, and maintenance wouldn't include an in-deep washing (unless you put a Drill Sergeant in charge of the hangar ), so the exhausts would have blackened the surroundings (main, lift and maneuvering engines), and the cloud of dust in every landing would've settled on all surfaces.

Several light-to-heavy-to-frankly-overdone layers of light and dark slate, especially on the main engines area, a light layer of earth and rust on the main and lift thrusters, charcoal around the exhausts, and distilled water generously airbrushed before and after.

Three layers of satin coating, and I'm almost done.

Whenever I feel like it, I'll add a brilliant coat to the cockpit windows, and I'll search for a transparent box to avoid "unwanted weathering".

Now, lemme see... what can I do next?

Edit: Now I see it, I've forgotten the module decals. Rodents!

Last edited by Monsignore; 16-10-2017 at 06:30 PM.

Tags
dinky eagle, restoration