SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 05-08-2012, 01:59 PM   #1
mike s
Communications Officer

Default vinyl holster repair question

hello everyone

I am looking at the Cap Scarlet black vinyl holster which has a big split along its length - sorry I don't have any pics of it

could this be repaired ie 'bandaged' and glued on the inside..? I seem to remember reading you can't glue vinyl but might have imagined it

thanks in advance as ever
mike s is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:21 PM   #2
healvis
Communications Officer

Hi Mike, I have glued vinyl using contact adhesive before and it worked ok. Or you might try asking your local cobblers if they can do a repair on it for you.
healvis is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 04:09 PM   #3
mike s
Communications Officer

thanks Healvis

do you know the stuff I am talking about, not sure I described it totally accurately - its the flexible type of plastic that the Scarlet play suit cap is made from

I'm trying to think of an example of a household object made from the same stuff but I cant

Quote:
Originally Posted by healvis View Post
Hi Mike, I have glued vinyl using contact adhesive before and it worked ok. Or you might try asking your local cobblers if they can do a repair on it for you.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:07 PM   #4
healvis
Communications Officer

Mike, Sorry I was on about regular vinyl, the faux leather type. If you get a piece of the same material and put contact adhesive on the back of it you can lay the parts you want repairing over it and with a little luck you should get an almost invisible repair. It will make a difference to the thickness of the material where the repair is though but you will only notice it from the inside. Don't forget you will have to put adhesive on all contacting surfaces.
I hope I have made sense.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:25 PM   #5
mike s
Communications Officer

hi Healvis yes you have made sense but I'm still not sure if the stuff I am on about will accept glue - or does contact glue stick absolutely anything..?

here's a pic - I'm buying it off a mate of mine to repair and I'm just working out whether to have a go myself or pay someone to do it

you can really see what its made of here - the belt is not original so pls ignore

DSC00968.jpg

Quote:
Mike, Sorry I was on about regular vinyl, the faux leather type. If you get a piece of the same material and put contact adhesive on the back of it you can lay the parts you want repairing over it and with a little luck you should get an almost invisible repair. It will make a difference to the thickness of the material where the repair is though but you will only notice it from the inside. Don't forget you will have to put adhesive on all contacting surfaces.

Old 05-08-2012, 05:36 PM   #6
mike s
Communications Officer

are you in the UK Healvis - maybe you could have a look at it for me for an agreed fee - I think its outside my skill set at the mo

Quote:
Old 06-08-2012, 01:52 PM   #7
healvis
Communications Officer

Hi Mike, yes I live in London. I think Evo-Stick impact adhesive would work fine. It's very good and strong for nonporous surfaces. The trick is to spread it thinly on the contacting surfaces and do not try to make the repair until the adhesive is almost dry.
I still think the best person for the job would be the cobblers as they use contact adhesive everyday and are very skilled at repairing this kind of split. In any case I would certainly ask for their advice. My skills are not great and I would'nt want to screw it up for you.
John.
Old 06-08-2012, 06:29 PM   #8
miger1
Astrophysics Technician

What about a hot glue gun? I'm no expert but that seems to stick most stuff.
miger1 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 07:49 PM   #9
TerraForm1
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by miger1 View Post
What about a hot glue gun? I'm no expert but that seems to stick most stuff.
No, whatever you do don't use hot glue on vinyl or plastic. The heat does more damage than you can imagine. Warping, melting etc.
TerraForm1 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 10:08 PM   #10
mike s
Communications Officer

cheers guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraForm1 View Post
No, whatever you do don't use hot glue on vinyl or plastic. The heat does more damage than you can imagine. Warping, melting etc.