SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 15-04-2007, 03:04 PM   #281
skyfullofstars
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianS
Wow, that much just for that one half. Scary.

And are you saying the 150 was the bargain? Or that you got a bargain and it didnt actually cost that much for you personally?

So does that mean the total cost for just the three parts of the CM together was about $450 US dollars?
It's a bargain. Nico did the PC work by himself. Having a master made costs - labor for the CNC programming, machine hours for milling the master on a CNC machine and the guy who is working. My 88" CM master half was about 4.5 times the small cm half of nico's eagle. Today labor costs are killing you. The material you need to make a master costs usually next to nothing. And I had a good price too, because the master could be made on a "free" smaller machine at that time between two runs. The same goes for the big 88" main bells. We are here talking about machines that costs up to 800'000$. So they must pay back the investment and work at 100% all day long. So happy the man who can afford a good hobby lathe.
skyfullofstars is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2008, 09:31 PM   #282
Stu73
Communications Officer

Hey Nico,

what's happening? This forum needs your lovely 3D print outs. Oh yes.
Stu73 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2008, 12:43 PM   #283
Fozzy
Computer Technician

Default Modular Kits? ? ?

I've just spent the last couple of days reading this post (of the last 2 years) and have been seriously impressed with the detail being put into a garage kit. Then I began wondering if anyone had ever given thought of producing a model in components; i.e. a command module kit, a service module kit, then all the different pod kits? Some folks cannot afford $$$ for a complete kit that is this detailed, and this could make building one more affordable. You could purchase the different portions of the kit as you can afford them, and build the exact eagle version you wanted. Just an idea that has been bouncing around the ole noggin. Feed back?
Fozzy is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2008, 02:12 PM   #284
DARKVIEW
Forum Supporter

amazing thread, nice work nico

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Official website:

DARKVIEW is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2008, 11:20 PM   #285
Animal_lector
Travel Tube Technician

Default Rapid prototype printing

Nico,
That rapid prototype printing is amazing, and your skill and dedication to the project a pat on the back, fantastic.
I have read aticals in modeling mags in the UK on rapid prototype printing done by Univercitys but not like that work in detail.
Do the Rapid prototypes break up when you remove them from the casting moulds or are they a bit stronger than that?
keep the photos coming.
Animal_lector is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 25-08-2008, 11:29 PM   #286
JFoster
Hydroponics Technician

I know this thread is old(er) but we looked into mono color and multi color 3D printers. The one we ended up wanting was the mono version. With setup and training the bill would have been $85,000 in US funds. Then the pad printer would have been another $10-12K and a laser cutter another $10k on top of that.

Jon.
JFoster is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2008, 08:52 PM   #287
Animal_lector
Travel Tube Technician

Default other Rapid prototyping Question

Hi All,
A mate of mine that is learning a Course on solid Works and auto Cad here in the UK.
He has told me that he has been told in one of his lectures that Jaguar in the UK, As a car manufacture they use a different form of rapid prototyping which utilises a laser to heat a bath of liquid resin to make a perfect solid formed master.

Does anyone no anymore on this form of rapid prototyping using a laser to heat resin?
Animal_lector is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2008, 08:55 PM   #288
Transporter
Life Support Officer

I recently saw a tv documentary about a German company who is making sunglasses for an Italian sunglasses brand. A laser was "shot" into a tub, filled with a powder. When finished the tub with the exess powder was emptied and the sunglasses parts were cleaned, polished and then built up into the final products. Very amazing.
Transporter is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2009, 04:59 PM   #289
JFoster
Hydroponics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transporter View Post
I recently saw a tv documentary about a German company who is making sunglasses for an Italian sunglasses brand. A laser was "shot" into a tub, filled with a powder. When finished the tub with the exess powder was emptied and the sunglasses parts were cleaned, polished and then built up into the final products. Very amazing.
Wow, that sounds like a crazy expensive set of glasses!

Jon.
JFoster is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2009, 05:16 PM   #290
Conrad Turner
Communications Officer

A friend of mine showed me something the other day. He is a major player of "World of Warcraft" with several Level 80 characters. On their website they are now offering, for customers in the 'States at least, a pre-painted model of your character. The video on the page he showed me they seemed to fire a laser or something into a tub of powder. At the end of this process, out comes your model, in colour, and all they do is blow off the excess, glaze it, and put it in an oven to cure it, then package it and send it out. Boy do I wish I had access to a machine like that - 44" Hawk from computer data in next to no time!
Conrad Turner is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 19-03-2009, 12:48 AM   #291
Pro Mod
Forum Supporter

I've just caught up with this, what a brilliant piece of work Nico.
Please put my name on the list if it goes into production.

A few words about the different types of rapid protyping equipment / processes available.

The most common / original type of machines produce SLA's (Stereolithography prototypes) which produce hard plastic prototypes by scanning liquid resin with a UV laser in layers of generally 0.1mm thick.

SLS - Selective Laser Sintering produce models by rolling a layer of powder material onto the build platform which is again activated by a laser.
Advantage of this process is the different materials available - flexible, able to withstand high temperature - produce a model of an electric kettle with this process and you can boil water in it!

3D Printers - These are similar to inkjet printers, but lay down layers of powder/wax. When built, some makes have to be cured by coating with cynoacrylate (super glue).

There are lots of different types of equipment available and costs vary accordingly, and as with most things you get what you pay for.

The one thing that all rapid prototyping in common is that they all require some degree of hand finishing by skilled people to remove evidence of the build layers.

The other thing you require for RP is solid modelling software that can export STL / IGES types files, ordinary CAD will not work.

In the UK alone there are a huge number of companies offering these bureau services.

Forgot to mention that the SLS process can also use metal powders if a differnt type of laser is used.
Old 19-03-2009, 01:50 PM   #292
TonyB
Forum Supporter

Very interesting stuff and a very cool video showing the process. Great stuff.
TonyB is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 09:19 PM   #293
Steve D
Astrophysics Technician

Whats happened to Nico, anyone know
Steve D is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 12:56 AM   #294
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Last post 14th April 2007 Two years ago Hope everything is alright, I doubt we'll hear anymore now.
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 06:07 AM   #295
Becco_UK
Communications Officer

Nico often posts at the Maxwell Render Forums (http://www.maxwellrender.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=87 ). I recently mentioned to him that people at this forum where asking about him and this is his reply:

"hehe I still wat to make my eagle, but the past two years I have been too busy with other projects, also I'm re making my eagle in SolidWorks so that I can shell all parts better, and make better fillets"

He is still alive and well and making detailed 3d models.
Becco_UK is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 03-05-2009, 07:53 AM   #296
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Well that's good news. Say hi from us.
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 06:44 PM   #297
nico
Astrophysics Technician

Hi guys,

It has been a very long time since my last post, a lot has happened in my private live and many things have changed.
I had to led my eagle rest, but now I'm thinking of picking it up again.

Good to see the forum is still so much alive!!

Cheers, Curt or "Nico" as some may know me by.
nico is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 06:51 PM   #298
nico
Astrophysics Technician

Ow, btw, in the mean time I had some practice with SolidWorks, here is the result of one project I did, it's a Cessna 172 simulator

and a small movie I made:
nico is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 11:47 PM   #299
Liberator
Eagle Pilot

Hey Nico really cool to see you back on board. Life can and does get in the way of things. Its good to know all is well.

That Cessna is a peice of art - I dont know why but the Cessna is one of my favorite planes.

Last edited by Liberator; 09-04-2010 at 11:51 PM.
Liberator is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 01:25 AM   #300
T70MkIII
Communications Officer

Good to see you back, Nico
T70MkIII is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote