Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Recreation and Dining Complex > Photographic Memories

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 14-09-2013, 08:21 PM   #1
dazzo
Eagle Pilot

Default Anderson model display,14/09/2013 Ellesmere town hall Shropshire.

dazzo is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2013, 08:23 PM   #2
dazzo
Eagle Pilot

I recognise most of the model manufacturers,any ideas on the TB4?,the guy that owns them is under the impression that they are all original studio props.
Old 15-09-2013, 06:54 AM   #3
boatshewsd2
Life Support Officer

Default Fish Gotta Swim, 'Birds Gotta Fly...

A lot of history, gathered together there, and such a great photo! Thank You for sharing it...
boatshewsd2 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2013, 08:11 PM   #4
Mark42
Chief Eagle Pilot

I think it may be Dave Saunders who goes around claiming to have worked on many of the shows and owns many of the original models.....even though they all look like kits he's made.

I saw part of a talk he did at a convention around 12 years ago, where he passed himself off as an SFX model maker. Claims he build SID for UFO but he must have been about 5-years-old at the time. Then he worked on UFO, Space 1999 and went on to build many of the models for Star Wars, like the Millienium Falcon, 8-foot Star Destroyer, etc, talked about how they were filmed at Pinewood but unfortunately all destroyed during the process!! He obviously had never heard of ILM and that everything model wise was done in the States!!!!
He spoke for an hour and got most of his facts wrong but the audience didn't seem to notice, although one person mentioned that they had seen the original Star Wars models in a touring exhibition so he changed his story to say that George Lucas kept a couple of models for publicity purposes. One of the weirdest convention experiences I've ever had.

PS. they don't look exactly like the originals because he's restored them..... well that was his excuse at the time.

....... S.I.G David Mark Sisson
Mark42 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2013, 08:16 PM   #5
miger1
Astrophysics Technician

...of course,you'd then put your --approx' 200,000 worth of original models--on a flimsy table :0
miger1 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 15-09-2013, 11:41 PM   #6
Captain Sci-Fi
Commander

Hard to tell from one photo but they look like decent models and at least one person remembered the show with fondness, back story aside of course.

I would like a better look at the SID model, any more images please Daz?
Captain Sci-Fi is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 09:57 AM   #7
miger1
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Sci-Fi View Post
Hard to tell from one photo but they look like decent models and at least one person remembered the show with fondness,
?
Yes, they all look like excellent models,the Stingray particularly form-wise is spot on!
miger1 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 11:46 AM   #8
dazzo
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark42 View Post
I think it may be Dave Saunders who goes around claiming to have worked on many of the shows and owns many of the original models.....even though they all look like kits he's made.

I saw part of a talk he did at a convention around 12 years ago, where he passed himself off as an SFX model maker. Claims he build SID for UFO but he must have been about 5-years-old at the time. Then he worked on UFO, Space 1999 and went on to build many of the models for Star Wars, like the Millienium Falcon, 8-foot Star Destroyer, etc, talked about how they were filmed at Pinewood but unfortunately all destroyed during the process!! He obviously had never heard of ILM and that everything model wise was done in the States!!!!
He spoke for an hour and got most of his facts wrong but the audience didn't seem to notice, although one person mentioned that they had seen the original Star Wars models in a touring exhibition so he changed his story to say that George Lucas kept a couple of models for publicity purposes. One of the weirdest convention experiences I've ever had.

PS. they don't look exactly like the originals because he's restored them..... well that was his excuse at the time.
Yeah think that was the guy,most from fibreglass/resin kits back in the day,choco stingray,toby chamberlain terror fish,big tb3 the same as i recently sold,tb2 pete hutton,plus Some smaller resin kits...warp etc,not sure who did the tb4,everytime i asked about a model he said they were original props so i told him the origin and he kept changing the story,a bit odd really.

Last edited by dazzo; 16-09-2013 at 11:53 AM.
Old 16-09-2013, 12:01 PM   #9
Mark42
Chief Eagle Pilot

Heres a link

http://www.shropshirestar.com/news/2...mere-festival/

I believe that he joined this forum years ago but quickly vanished, I think his id was 'dalekdave'

theres more claims about models being originals on here - http://groupofellesmeremodellers.weebly.com/

heres the originals - http://groupofellesmeremodellers.wee...12---pg-2.html
quote - Some of David's props and models. David was a professional props and model builder for tv and film. Some of these and others not shown are original props rescued from the skip when Bray Studios closed, others from Pinewood Studios. David's uncle Bill worked for the Andersons fitting the pyrotechnics to the models, and years later, David worked with them and Derek Meddings seperately at Pinewood. Some of the models are currently under restoration.

....... S.I.G David Mark Sisson

Last edited by Mark42; 16-09-2013 at 12:08 PM.
Mark42 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 03:23 PM   #10
boatshewsd2
Life Support Officer

Default Who WAS That Terror Fish I Saw You With?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzo View Post
Yeah think that was the guy,most from fibreglass/resin kits back in the day,choco stingray,toby chamberlain terror fish,big tb3 the same as i recently sold,tb2 pete hutton,plus Some smaller resin kits...warp etc,not sure who did the tb4,everytime i asked about a model he said they were original props so i told him the origin and he kept changing the story,a bit odd really.

Appreciate the additional pictures! Especially gives further clarity to TB3/TB5 linkup; though, truth to tell, had that larger model version been used instead, it likely would taken over the whole table!

O, how that last photo simply begs for a caption (I've contributed my bit... ). Anyone else game to have a go?
boatshewsd2 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 16-09-2013, 06:16 PM   #11
SteveDix
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatshewsd2 View Post
O, how that last photo simply begs for a caption (I've contributed my bit... ). Anyone else game to have a go?
Big fish, little fish, cardboard box!
SteveDix is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 07:19 PM   #12
Captain Sci-Fi
Commander

Default Calling Dave Saunders....

It would be good if David posted to tell us more about the models, I like the Stingray, the TB4 and the 22" Eagle, they all seem to be quite well finished.

As far as claiming they were originals, I am hoping that it may be a bad translation lost somewhere in the works. David seems to have a good technique for finishing, I think we could learn something useful from him.
Captain Sci-Fi is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2014, 01:44 PM   #13
TeamDavros
Hydroponics Technician

I've just come across this thread and I think I can shed a bit of light on some of the models on display there...

I sold Dave Saunders five of my models in early 2001. These were:

1) Moonbase Alpha diorama (visible in the last pic propped up vertically) - this was an old MPC Moonbase kit on a 2' x 2' plaster base, built around 1995 I think.

2) SID - this was a full scratchbuild (not to studio scale) with lots of made-up detailing. Built around 1998-ish.

3) Studio-scale Mobile - this was actually the MDF and balsa 'plug' which I'd made to produce a fibreglass Mobile shell inspired by David Sissons' early construction articles. Wheels and tracks were resin casts, with a motorised SHADO Control radar dish on top. David bought this before I'd finished it, so it was a scramble to get it done before he came to pick it up with the others!

4) 22" Eagle - this was a full scratchbuild with slightly chunky framework made from EMA tubing with 'stub-in tees' joints. I was very proud of it as the pod detached and the undercarriage was sprung. Detailing was a mixture of Eagles 1 and 3. Built in 1986-87.

5) There was also a 31" Hawk built concurrently with the Eagle (not in the pics which is just as well as it wasn't terribly accurate.)

David was perfectly well aware that all the models he got from me were replicas made by me, so why they've allegedly been passed off as originals is a mystery to me!

There was some discussion on the 'other' site which was quite dismissive of my efforts - which considering they were made long before the internet was available (to me, at least!) seems a bit unfair. I was proud of these models when I built 'em and I'm still proud of them today!

I don't know if anyone's interested (no-one was on the other site...) but I should have some better pics somewhere in the archives...

Owen
TeamDavros is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2014, 04:52 PM   #14
Crimson Binome
Communications Officer

Alway like to see image of great displays
Crimson Binome is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2014, 11:01 PM   #15
Slate Mcleod
Communications Officer

I recall Mr Saunders well...he is well known for trying to pass off replicas as originals. Not seen him around for about 14 years but he did the same with many Dr Who "replicas" and muddied the waters a lot back in the day. Even managed to wangle a job at the welsh Dr Who exhibition which was at the same site as Dapol AND exhibit fake props. A friend of mine sold him an excellent "Genesis" Davros prop back in 1999, no doubt that is also now "an original". I remember quizzing him about some of his models a long time ago and he was always "reluctant" to discuss in any detail with those who actually knew what they were talking about. In other words the man is a first class bull-shitter ! And he never worked at Pinewood as far as I can recall !!!

Last edited by Slate Mcleod; 19-06-2014 at 11:17 PM.
Slate Mcleod is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 24-06-2014, 10:34 PM   #16
andersonitis
Forum Supporter

Just stumbled on this thread & such a joy to read
Team Davros I take my hat off to you
I once owned a very large SID model

If u have any models for sale Please Pm me sharpish

Larry
andersonitis is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote