Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Recreation and Dining Complex > Photographic Memories

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 16-02-2010, 07:44 PM   #1
martin
Medical Technician

Default Space 1999 exhibition at Alton Towers

Here's a short film from French TV of the Alton Towers Space 1999 exhibition, way back in 1985. There are shots of the laser tanks, Hawk, FAB 1 and spacestation Delta.

martin is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2010, 08:16 PM   #2
Zoref
Hydroponics Technician

Thanks for posting, was lucky enough to go in 86. Fantastic!
Zoref is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2010, 04:08 PM   #3
Lee S
Eagle Pilot

Yeh I went sometime in the mid 80's too. I have pictures somewhere too, but they are very buried right now!

L
Lee S is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 01:53 PM   #4
Sage the Owl
Astrophysics Technician

I was there in '83 I think, and was appalled at how the models were displayed.
With the exception of Fab 1 which was periodically illuminated by a spotlight there was no display lighting at all, you could be right up against the glass & still not see anything. It made it a real bi*ch to take photographs even with a flash as I didnt know if anything was in focus, & in those pre-digital days you had to wait to develop the film to see if you had any success.
I was very dissapointed to say the least as it was the reason I went to the park, not for the rides.
In comparison the exhibition put on by Fanderson in Wolverhampton several years later could'nt have been more different. Well lit & thought out, I'll have to dig out the photo's & start a new thread on them.
Sage the Owl is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 04:46 PM   #5
Blue Moon
Communications Officer

Sage- I concur, I travelled all the way to Alton Towers from Blackpool (well badgered my dad to take me there one Saterday!) I too was not interested in the rides etc, and went soley for the exhibit-I was soooooo disapointed when I saw it, after the original two exhibitions, they seemed vast compared to this. I remember it being very cramped and no running order of any sort to the exhibits, which were poorly displayed and lit at best. Although it was always a joy to see (and still is) the original props and models, I remember coming away thinking I could have done a better job of setting it up and I was only 12! the people who set it up clearly didn't know one end of an eagle to another. Er, my dad wasn't too impressed either after driving for hours! I'm just glad that Phil later bought what was left of it and today most of it is in the hands of fans who appreciate it-myself humbly included
Blue Moon is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2010, 05:07 PM   #6
martin
Medical Technician

I went a couple of times (and once to the Blackpool exhibition before). I only got one photo that came out. This one:

All the glass in the way completely defeated my (cheap) film camera. OTOH if they hadn't been behind glass people would have been touching them and things would have broken off (I saw that happen at Blackpool - no it wasn't me).

Most people didn't seem to find the Planetarium, which contained a few more models including Arra's shuttle.

I remember looking at the moonbuggy with the weirdly positioned astronaut, and I heard a small boy exclaim to his parents "Look- it's REAL!"
martin is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 01:23 PM   #7
Sage the Owl
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Moon View Post
and today most of it is in the hands of fans who appreciate it-myself humbly included
Well, i'm suitably green with envy now, what are you lucky enough to have ?
Old 09-03-2010, 03:22 PM   #8
Blue Moon
Communications Officer

Oh, only a few bits and bobs, I think I have listed here before

Anyway, here goes....
(Stuff I still have first)
Models;
Alien derelict from Dragon's Domain
Atomic fuel store from Bringers of wonder
44" Eagle refueling pod from Space Warp and Rules of Luton
Piece of Texas City metropolis building from Journey to Where
various bits of other building models, including Talos city from The Exiles
Props/Costume;
Space Warp detector from Space Warp
Hand held scanner from The Lambda Factor
LSRO and 'pips' patches from Patrick Mowers costume (All that Glisters)

Err, can't think of anything else off hand.
Then there's the stuff I used to own, oh don't get me started
Old 12-03-2010, 01:51 PM   #9
Sage the Owl
Astrophysics Technician

That's a nice varied selection, thanks for posting the list.
I think we all rue the day getting rid of something that we later wish we had'nt.
Old 12-03-2010, 02:01 PM   #10
Blue Moon
Communications Officer

Yes in my case (apart from giving loads of original stuff to school mates-who promptly torched them!) it was the SS.Satazius model

Old 14-03-2010, 11:56 AM   #11
Sage the Owl
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Yes in my case (apart from giving loads of original stuff to school mates-who promptly torched them!) it was the SS.Satazius model
Are they still your friends.....
Old 14-03-2010, 03:58 PM   #12
deraenged
Chief Eagle Pilot

Smile credit where it's due

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage the Owl View Post
I was there in '83 I think, and was appalled at how the models
In comparison the exhibition put on by Fanderson in Wolverhampton several years later could'nt have been more different. Well lit & thought out, I'll have to dig out the photo's & start a new thread on them.
The Wolverhampton exhibit was NOT done by Fanderson...it had absolutely NOTHING to do with them.).it was done by me, (and funded by the local art gallery). with the assistance of people to hold the models (sorry..can't remember who), in the air whilst i positioned them just right to show them off as well as i could.
I also supervised and "designed" the Blackpool Pleasure Beach exhibit....with the able assistance of David Nightingale and others... in the mid 80s, from top to toe for Mary and Gerry Anderson.
I had nothing whatsoever to do with the Alton Towers exhibit...except to eventually buy it.
I was the KEY "how the models and puppets can be best displayed" element of the Winter Garden's show in the mid 90s, and with the help of the likes of Chris Trice, Kevin Pedley, Chris Callister, DN and others, supervised it's move to South Pier, and its eventual dis-assembly
I was also heavily involved in the Edingurgh exhibit also in the 80s, and the many Fanderson model display rooms over the years...! Hmmm...funny, I offered my stuff for THIS years event, and they didn't even bother to reply. You can draw your own conclusions. I doubt I will assist this time around.
Phil Rae
deraenged is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2010, 08:39 PM   #13
Eagle12
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by deraenged View Post
Hmmm...funny, I offered my stuff for THIS years event, and they didn't even bother to reply. You can draw your own conclusions. I doubt I will assist this time around.
Phil Rae
That's WAY too bad... I was holding out to get my tickets to see if any of the models would be there. If any do make it then I'll definitely attend in Austin.

Steven
Eagle12 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2010, 08:41 PM   #14
Eagle12
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Oh, only a few bits and bobs, I think I have listed here before

Anyway, here goes....
(Stuff I still have first)
Models;
Alien derelict from Dragon's Domain
Atomic fuel store from Bringers of wonder
44" Eagle refueling pod from Space Warp and Rules of Luton
Piece of Texas City metropolis building from Journey to Where
various bits of other building models, including Talos city from The Exiles
Props/Costume;
Space Warp detector from Space Warp
Hand held scanner from The Lambda Factor
LSRO and 'pips' patches from Patrick Mowers costume (All that Glisters)

Err, can't think of anything else off hand.
Then there's the stuff I used to own, oh don't get me started
Ooohhhhh.... pictures please! I know you've shown a few but would be great to see the entire collection.
Eagle12 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2010, 09:14 PM   #15
Serenity Angel
Waste Technician

Quote:
The Wolverhampton exhibit was NOT done by Fanderson...it had absolutely NOTHING to do with them.).it was done by me, (and funded by the local art gallery). with the assistance of people to hold the models (sorry..can't remember who), in the air whilst i positioned them just right to show them off as well as i could.
Actually, Phil, your memory is playing up. The Wolverhampton exhibition (1992) was organised by Wolverhampton City Council with Dave Finchett (who worked for them) leading. You may have helped to set up some of the models, but you didn't organise the exhibition. Dave did all of the organising work.

Serenity Angel
Serenity Angel is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 16-03-2010, 03:35 PM   #16
Mark42
Chief Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity Angel View Post
You may have helped to set up some of the models, but you didn't organise the exhibition.
Serenity Angel
I think that might possibly be downplaying his contribution ever so slightly!

If I remember rightly it was as you say - arranged by the Council and Dave Finchett was the official in charge as he worked for them - but what sort of display could they mount?

I supplied a miniature TB4 & Fab1 and I believe that Kevin Pedley supplied a Shado Mobile (via contact/arrangement with Phil). Then I believe there was a Skydiver by Mammas(?) (RCnut). I 'think' Dave Finchett displayed some puppets and Richard Gregory provided a TB2 & TB3 and then there was a big Stingray and Terror Fish by ? (sorry don't know - but the display looked very good) There were probably other items by some other people - please shout up if you're here.

I think the rest was all Phil -a large amount of original/replica Puppets, big puppetscale Fab1, puppet sets, multiple spaceships, inc Eagles , moonscape with Alpha buildings and laser tanks, Dire Straits puppets, Sky1, Moonbase Interceptors, live-action costumes/spacesuits with moonbase Alpha wall panel sets... and so forth - which must have been about 50%(+?).

If Phil hadn't have been there setting up all his gear then there would have either been no display, or a very, very small one that no one would remember.

....... S.I.G David Mark Sisson

Last edited by Mark42; 16-03-2010 at 03:38 PM.
Mark42 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2010, 04:45 PM   #17
Guest01
Alphan

yeah Phil has been kind enough over the years to loan stuff out to loads of other exhibitions and he should get credit for his work there.If it wasnt for the likes of Phil we would never see most of the stuff we do nowadays.
Guest01 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2010, 01:50 PM   #18
Sage the Owl
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
The Wolverhampton exhibit was NOT done by Fanderson...it had absolutely NOTHING to do with them.).it was done by me, (and funded by the local art gallery).
Phil Rae
Apologies, Phil, no slight intended, my memory obviously isnt as good as I thought it was and my pics and stuff from the exhibition arn't to hand at the moment.
As I said though, it was memorable for having a lot of interesting stuff & being well laid out & lit, so congrats to all you guys that were involved with its creation.