Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Recreation and Dining Complex > Photographic Memories

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 17-10-2011, 08:41 PM   #1
Captain Sci-Fi
Commander

Default I met Seaview....

Hi Guys,

I recently met Pete Hutton and was given a tour of his workshop which was a real treat. Pete has been building models for over 30 years and like many of us his hobby has become a passion. He has a lovely converted wooden building which he has made very homely complete with a TV. In this "Den" Pete has built many models of his favourite Anderson subjects including a pair of 44" Eagles both are entirely scratch built with the exception of the engine bells, they were supplied by Mike Reader.

Pete also has a passion for Irwin Allen subjects with a monster 6 ft Seaview Submarine holding pride of place in his collection. This model is the The four window version complete with FS1 in it's dock, diving bell and mini sub. He has also built a rather nice Spindrift at, you guessed it, 3 feet.

The first model Pete made was Thunderbird 2 at an ambitious 3 feet in length, he didn't stop there and also made all the pod vehicles in scale plus a very nice TB4 which is an excellent little model in it's own right.

This is the original plug from the model:

Pete spends a lot of time building in details like the cockpit interiors, working lights and other effects. His version of Eagle 1 has sliding doors, full passenger pod interior and even a rail full of spacesuits hanging up ready for action. He builds these models with a surprising lack of workshop machinery but puts in a lot of care to build up the form and finish by hand.

On the workbench are two notable projects both are studio scale replicas. The SPV has been a long term project as with many of us he picks up and puts down these projects as time and finance allows. Sometimes resolving a problem stopping the build may take a little time to figure out. His latest project is Mac's car from Joe 90, he is building two versions one is planned to be fully operational with working suspension, steering powered transmission and folding wheel assemblies.

Pete has tackled most subjects from An Eagle as already mentioned to the smooth skinned Stingray, this model is at his favoured length of 3 feet and features a clear motorised ratemaster, full interior with a WASP figure and removable Aquasprites.

Here is a monster version of TB3 standing at almost 4 feet tall, a departure from the usual 3 footers but as Pete explained he wanted it to be scale to his TB1, TB2 and TB4 models and that's a good enough reason for me. Models are packed into every square inch of his workshop, he seems to suffer from the same problem we all do, no room to display anything..!

Lastly he is selling a nice build of a 3 foot Studio 2 Skydiver kit. He is in anticipation of a 6 foot version.

Kits of some of these models are available from Pete, Stingray for example is moulded complete with side fins and lower rear fins, even the upper cabin has the it's fins attached. Private Message him with any enquiries.

It was a good couple of hours (real shame I couldn't stay longer) with models literally everywhere I looked, I promise to go back when time allows and photograph the rest of his stuff (a nice radio controlled SHADO mobile for example), thanks for the warm welcome mate.
Captain Sci-Fi is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2011, 12:02 AM   #2
joeb
Astrophysics Technician

He is VERY good. Thanks for sharing those pictures. How fast does it take him to build a model? It would take me years to build any one of those. I would love to spend the day with some one with that talent and body of work and pick their brain.

Joe
joeb is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2011, 12:23 AM   #3
Captain Sci-Fi
Commander

Hi Joe,

He is a member here, Seaview. I am sure he will answer when he gets the chance. Post any questions you have, he is a very friendly guy.

I did ask how long it took to generate the plug to the Spindrift model, he said from start to finish about 3 days. Most of the construction methods are either plank/skin on frame or straight carving. One tip he gave was to start with a good profile, get that right first. Personally I would build most of the rib and stringer structure before any skinning took place, it's the only way I can keep things symmetrical. Pete has a well honed talent for working up the shape, his skill is really good. He has a very refreshing "can do" attitude and in all the model work I had seen nothing stopped him from attempting a subject. The rate master on Stingray is a stumper for most people, his looks just perfect. With all the other details like the full cabin interior and separate Aqua Sprites it is quite a model. I will admit to being very tempted to get one myself, when I have more time I will but I would need to spend time reshaping it to my favourite version of the craft but his kit would save a powerful amount of work. I stress reshaping to MY ideal shape and then only in a very few areas mostly around the nose and windows. I wouldn't say his kits are for a beginner just because of the sheer size of the things. They can be difficult to display but they are so very impressive when built and obviously have scope for RC units, lights and other goodies.
Captain Sci-Fi is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2011, 08:15 AM   #4
paul gray
Forum Supporter

some very nice work there Pete. especially like the spindrift and the small pod vehicles. Joes car is coming along nicely, looking forward to seeing that one finished
cheers Paul

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
paul gray is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2011, 05:59 PM   #5
age9000
Astrophysics Technician

great models as always from pete

a few years ago i got petes 3ft tb2 and 4ft tb3
sadly still in the box awaiting construction, maybe one day ........

macs car coming along nicley, pete has been working on this for a while now
got some photos on my previous computer that he sent me, and that was a couple
of years ago now, and yes pete I still want one

age9000 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 20-10-2011, 05:15 PM   #6
Crimson Binome
Communications Officer

Oi Captain !

After the name on this thread where is the photos of Seaview

Fantastic models - if only I could find the time to finish one of my projects
never mind ones of this size
Crimson Binome is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2011, 10:22 PM   #7
Big Rab
Forum Supporter

Pete is one of the nicest guys you could meet. always helpful and enthusiastic
Old 06-11-2011, 09:41 AM   #8
DARKVIEW
Forum Supporter

oooh l spot
a viper ;-)

Official website:

DARKVIEW is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote