Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Recreation and Dining Complex > Photographic Memories

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 06-08-2013, 06:07 AM   #21
boatshewsd2
Life Support Officer

Default A Fleeting Brush...

I'm enjoying this thread very much. It brings back memories of my first trip to Britain (indeed, first-ever trip abroad!) in the fall of 1992. Seems to have coincided with the revival of Thunderbirds, and the Tracy boys did seem to be pretty much all over the place; sort-of like coming to their house, after years of them coming to mine in California!

Anyway, one day during our stay, my mother and I went out to Windsor to see an event called Royalty & Empire: The Great Royalty Exhibition (still have a ceramic mug from it!). My recollection is that there was some sort of mixup regarding our transportation back to London, and somehow we found ourselves in Slough waiting for a train. Since the schedule was messed up, we were told to expect the train at any time; so, no opportunity to explore.

Still - that name had resonance for me. Somewhere hereabouts, I thought, was where all of that happened...

The train finally came, collected us along with others who also were waiting and we were all on our way again. But it remains the closest (geographically at least) I've come to what was the epicenter of a life-changer, from an ocean and a continent away...
boatshewsd2 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:05 AM   #22
filmsean@btinternet.com
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Sci-Fi View Post
If I could find images of any other supplier locations for the Studios I would be a happy camper.

Anyone?
I belive that Airfix had a distribution depot on the slough trading estate and a lot of the kits used came from there, there was also a large toy shop in the centre of slough somewhere that was almost certainly a destination for Derek and the buyer.
filmsean@btinternet.com is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 01:40 PM   #23
filmsean@btinternet.com
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmsean@btinternet.com View Post
I belive that Airfix had a distribution depot on the slough trading estate and a lot of the kits used came from there, there was also a large toy shop in the centre of slough somewhere that was almost certainly a destination for Derek and the buyer.
there was an engineering company located directly opposite the studios in Sterling road. The company was called downes engineering I think, they used to make parts for them from time to time as well as allowing the modelmakers to scavenge bits. The engines from the UFO interceptors came from here and I suspect the hub caps for the cars including the SPV and SPC as they were both turned aluminium. Mike Trim also told me one day that he and Roger Dicken were walking in the waste ground in that area and found 4 large bakalite pieces that they brought back to the studio which were used as the landing pads for the large TB3 model in its hangar.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:26 AM   #24
Captain Sci-Fi
Commander

This is exactly what I was hoping for, details like this are gold, thanks for them Sean.
Captain Sci-Fi is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:34 AM   #25
Captain Sci-Fi
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatshewsd2 View Post
My recollection is that there was some sort of mixup regarding our transportation back to London, and somehow we found ourselves in Slough waiting for a train......

Still - that name had resonance for me. Somewhere hereabouts, I thought, was where all of that happened...

The train finally came, collected us along with others who also were waiting and we were all on our way again. But it remains the closest (geographically at least) I've come to what was the epicenter of a life-changer, from an ocean and a continent away...
For some reason the words Slough, Mars factory and industrial estate have always been linked in my mind.

I live two hours from the studio site (what's left of it) and have never been. Maybe it's time to saddle the horses and get the camera out to play. It would be my pleasure to start from the train station where you were (if it still exists) and travel to the studio site to explore in pictures. Years late but it will give some completeness to your adventure.

It would be very cool to set up and photograph in the same spots as some of the publicity images from back in the day.

Old 07-08-2013, 10:24 AM   #26
filmsean@btinternet.com
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
For some reason the words Slough, Mars factory and industrial estate have always been linked in my mind.

I live two hours from the studio site (what's left of it) and have never been. Maybe it's time to saddle the horses and get the camera out to play. It would be my pleasure to start from the train station where you were (if it still exists) and travel to the studio site to explore in pictures. Years late but it will give some completeness to your adventure.

It would be very cool to set up and photograph in the same spots as some of the publicity images from back in the day.
Hi bernie, I have been many times to the original studio and had the greatest pleasure to go there a few years ago with mike trim, the owners of sovrin Plastics who occupy the buildings now allowed Mike and i to wonder around and Mike would point out where everything was it was a thrill I have to say. I would be delighted to contact them again and I'm sure they wouldnt mind a second visit. If you would mind i would like to tag along and could point out a few things.

sean
Old 07-08-2013, 03:52 PM   #27
Captain Sci-Fi
Commander

Lunch on me then Sean.

I would be delighted to have a guide. I have to ask, do the doors you can see when Scott is boarding TB1 still exist, call me sad but I would love to find them and photograph them again if they do.

They can be see when the walkway extends with him standing as it moves to the nosecone. I can't find the image ATM but when I do I will post it in edit.

Bernie.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:47 PM   #28
filmsean@btinternet.com
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Lunch on me then Sean.

I would be delighted to have a guide. I have to ask, do the doors you can see when Scott is boarding TB1 still exist, call me sad but I would love to find them and photograph them again if they do.

They can be see when the walkway extends with him standing as it moves to the nosecone. I can't find the image ATM but when I do I will post it in edit.

Bernie.
Yes Bernie, not only do they still exist but they are unchanged from those days they are still the original colour its very strange to see them quite an experience.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:55 PM   #29
tastic1
Geological Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmsean@btinternet.com View Post
Hi Bernie, the white one in the photo with the guy in blue crossing the road is the actual one, I passed it today, its now an asian fruit shop of all things. I pass this site once a week on my way to my weekly lunch with peter lamont
That's Martin Bower crossing the road, surely????
tastic1 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:05 PM   #30
tastic1
Geological Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by tastic1 View Post
That's Martin Bower crossing the road, surely????
Checking out Woolworth's impressive window display for his next Space 1999 spaceship masterpiece?
tastic1 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 08-08-2013, 12:38 AM   #31
Captain Sci-Fi
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by tastic1 View Post
Checking out Woolworth's impressive window display for his next Space 1999 spaceship masterpiece?
LOL

Pots, pan's and thermal boosters at the ready.
Old 08-08-2013, 01:55 AM   #32
boatshewsd2
Life Support Officer

Default Love Those Pots And Pans...

Inspiration can come from everywhere!
boatshewsd2 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:50 AM   #33
Captain Sci-Fi
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatshewsd2 View Post
Inspiration can come from everywhere!
And it certainly did straight from the lighting department to deep space. I personally I love this creative artwork and have tried to emulate Martin's techniques many times. Another expert in developing this was Martin's one time partner from back in the day, Bill Pearson. He is an active member here and has offered to answer questions. We are very lucky to be able to talk to the artists directly.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:16 PM   #34
filmsean@btinternet.com
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
And it certainly did straight from the lighting department to deep space. I personally I love this creative artwork and have tried to emulate Martin's techniques many times. Another expert in developing this was Martin's one time partner from back in the day, Bill Pearson. He is an active member here and has offered to answer questions. We are very lucky to be able to talk to the artists directly.
they got their paint and body filler from trimite in uxbridge which is still there, all of the Thunderbirds models were painted with trimite colours, TB2 was painted with a mixture of trimite colours and you can see their tins all over the place in the behind the scenes photos.
Old 09-08-2013, 02:35 AM   #35
MoonbaseAlpha
Chief Eagle Pilot

I used to live in Uxbridge for years,
about 200 yards from the Trimite factory,
when the wind was in the right direction you could smell the paint fumes...

As an aside, Trimite is only around the corner from the old Shawcraft workshop, and is only about a mile from Pinewood studios in Iver Heath. And off course is only a couple of miles from Slough...

On many nights I used to see, when they are doing night shoots at Pinewood the skyline was lite up like a Christmas tree for miles around...
(which always gets me a bit in TV/Film, when the actors are stumbling around in the dark... they are clearly not !!! It's all lite up with great big back lights... but if you didn't have the lights you wouldn't see the action on screen).

I've moved a couple of miles down the road to Hayse now, which is right near the big Nestle factory, so when the wind is in the right direction I get the smell of cocoa beans......

Andy H.

Last edited by MoonbaseAlpha; 09-08-2013 at 02:54 AM.
MoonbaseAlpha is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote