Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Recreation and Dining Complex > Photographic Memories

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 01-11-2010, 05:23 PM   #1
shonokin
Life Support Technician

Default Dinky Eagle Transporter ad from 1975

When I was a kid in the Cub Scouts I had a subscription to the magazine Boys' Life. Google books has now archived the back issues.

I remembered there being ads for Dinky's Eagle line. Actually that's about the only thing I remember from the magazine. Well, when I saw that these issues were online I did a search and sure enough, the ads are retained in the scans.

shonokin is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 05:03 AM   #2
Mr. Wabac
Alphan

Sure wish I understood why Dinky used such awful colours for their Anderson diecasts. I remember seeing the UFO pieces in a store many years ago - really liked the idea of having an Interceptor, but couldn't bring myself to paying a lot of money (at the time) for something that was so inaccurate, due mainly to the colour selection. Same thing for Space: 1999.
Mr. Wabac is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 03:34 PM   #3
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shonokin View Post
When I was a kid in the Cub Scouts I had a subscription to the magazine Boys' Life. Google books has now archived the back issues.

I remembered there being ads for Dinky's Eagle line. Actually that's about the only thing I remember from the magazine. Well, when I saw that these issues were online I did a search and sure enough, the ads are retained in the scans.
shonokin, thanks for sharing this advertisement. I was eleven years old in 1975 and saw this ad in a friend's copy of Boys Life that I was reading in school. I immediately mailed away an order for my first Dinky Toys Eagle the next day. Great memories.
Steve Gerard is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 04:04 PM   #4
TonyB
Forum Supporter

Its nice to see old adverts like this turning up from time to time, thanks for posting the ad.
TonyB is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 05:45 PM   #5
shonokin
Life Support Technician

Those were halcyon days for me, when things like this were new, amazing and magical and cool. It's fun to get a look back at it.

Also there is this article from another issue which I remember reading, by a boy who was collecting various Dinky products from Star Trek, Thunderbirds, Star Wars to Galactica and Space: 1999.

Old 03-11-2010, 05:47 PM   #6
shonokin
Life Support Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
The common perception at the time was that white toys were boring and didn't sell as well as more colourful 'exciting' ones.
In this ad, it looks like the Eagle is actually white (except for the red medical pod stripes of course). Could this have been?
Old 13-12-2011, 11:06 AM   #7
DARKVIEW
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wabac View Post
Sure wish I understood why Dinky used such awful colours for their Anderson diecasts. I remember seeing the UFO pieces in a store many years ago - really liked the idea of having an Interceptor, but couldn't bring myself to paying a lot of money (at the time) for something that was so inaccurate, due mainly to the colour selection. Same thing for Space: 1999.

l was told many moons back that Dinky had too get rid of an extreme amount of paint they had in storage . . . the trademade 'Green' , could be a urban leg end tho

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Official website:

DARKVIEW is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2011, 07:46 AM   #8
Captain Sci-Fi
Commander

Green and orange, green and orange, I still dream about it.

I did try to repaint an Interceptor once, it was a total disaster but it started my interest in trying to make things more "as seen on TV" as possible. I had never used a spray can before. It was quite an adventure and a steep learning curve to say the least.
Captain Sci-Fi is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2012, 09:30 PM   #9
Moebius
Astrophysics Technician

The Transporter was metallic green and the engine bells were chrome whereas the Freighter was white and (If my memory serves me correct.) the engine bells were red. How did that ever make sense at the Dinky design stage? I had the Transporter and dropped it on my bare foot. Very heavy and very sore on the foot but the Eagle survived intact. Dinky may have been a bit mental with the paint but they built things to last.
Moebius is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2012, 05:30 AM   #10
Face Ache
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by shonokin View Post
In this ad, it looks like the Eagle is actually white (except for the red medical pod stripes of course). Could this have been?
An all-white Dinky Eagle was never produced, no matter what some people on eBay will try to tell you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moebius View Post
The Transporter was metallic green and the engine bells were chrome whereas the Freighter was white and (If my memory serves me correct.) the engine bells were red.
First release transporters had chrome bells - later releases had red bells, like the freighter.

And then there were the blue freighters. And the blue Thunderbird 2.

Maybe Dinky didn't have colour TV.
Face Ache is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 30-03-2012, 03:05 PM   #11
Ham Salad
Communications Officer

Speaking of toys of that era, did any of you get that set of commlock walkie talkies? Always wanted that.
Ham Salad is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote