Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 15-09-2005, 11:06 PM   #1
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Default Superfast Dirty Down

Another quick method of dirtying down which can cover huge areas quickly is the powder paint technique. Lightly spray the model with Scotch Spray Mount (the blue can) and then liberally brush black powder paint over the thing. Then take a kitchen towel or soft cloth and soak it in cigarette lighter fluid. Rubbing it over the model takes the worst of the powder paint and Spray mount off but leaves it in all the nooks and crannies. This technique works best over gloss paint, preferably a car paint spray. As always it's best to experiment a bit on an old model before tackling anything too important. Although not generally necessary, you can seal the weathering on using a clear coat.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2005, 06:48 AM   #2
KrokoHunter
Travel Tube Technician

Thanks for the advice. Have to try that once.

i've experimented a bit with thinned down indian ink.

I smear it over the model, a pretty large area at a time, let it dry for a couple of minutes, and then wipe off with a soft cloth.

It makes a really beated, dirty and scrathed look.

Used the technique on this Kazon Torpedo. Not the best picture though.

Cheers
Niels
KrokoHunter is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2005, 11:58 AM   #3
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Try using thinned enamels or artists oil paints (or a mixture of the two) for washes. The problem with water based washes is that they tend to bead up. The former tend to flow much better. Adding soap sort of helps water based washes but still doesn't work quite as well in my experience. Some of you might have seen this at SSM but I'll post it here just as an example of an oil based wash I completed for a guy recently. The model is essentially just a radio controlled toy. The basic model comes pre-built in flat grey primer colour which is very boring and unrealistic however this is essentially just a weathering job and a bit of detail painting that's taken the "toy" look off of it.

Old 16-09-2005, 12:19 PM   #4
KrokoHunter
Travel Tube Technician

That looks great.

I do have some experience with enamel based washes. I just decided to experiment with other types, just for the fun of it, and one never knows.. Might find another and better way to achieve a good result.

I still haven't done alot of experimentation with pastels, but it's on my ToTry list.

Cheers
Niels
KrokoHunter is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 05:51 AM   #5
Century21Slough
Astrophysics Technician

That looks Great DX, but what if you wanted a desert dry weather approach, say the paint scheme to the Unitron for instance?
Century21Slough is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2005, 09:55 AM   #6
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Chalk pastels and/or airbrush. You can also use powder paint but it would be difficult finding a specific shade and powder paint doesn't mix very well. Those famous cement colouring powders can work very well too.

Pastels would probably be the easiest to source from any art shop. As mentioned, you want chalk pastels rather than oil pastels. Find the right colour stick and then rub it against some wet'n'dry to make it into powder and then apply it with a brush. Large quantities might need fixing with a clear coat but you can usually persuade enough to stay on without, particulary if it's applied to a matt finish (which is recommended).