Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 06-01-2010, 06:51 PM   #1
rockwellcm
Communications Officer

Default Eagle's 'Cartered' RU23 - Project Phoenix

Ok was i mad to buy this?,some thought i was,but then again.....

The smashed cages and spine

And the newly restored cages and spine

Fully restored with VISA

Ok here we go the real rebuild

The front and back walkways were smashed quite bad,and Jim small was no longer making them
So with some Superglue,Body filler,and some Wet +Dry,and they are back as good as new

More soon when time allows

Donald
rockwellcm is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 06:55 PM   #2
Eagle
Commander Ret.

I want my baby back!

I kid. Good work my man!
Eagle is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 08:31 PM   #3
Transporter
Life Support Officer

...still wondering what really happened to this Eagle, Eagle...
Transporter is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 09:12 PM   #4
Bigyan65
Astrophysics Technician

Suicide???
Bigyan65 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 05:20 AM   #5
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

A sad accident... an eagle barely alive...we can rebuild it... I hope it doesn't cost you $6000000. How great to see it coming back to life. Top work on the frames etc.
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 07-01-2010, 06:22 AM   #6
rockwellcm
Communications Officer

Quote:
... I hope it doesn't cost you $6000000.
A piece of ETF history,Priceless

Last edited by CR; 07-01-2010 at 03:15 PM. Reason: fixed quote tags
Old 07-01-2010, 09:10 PM   #7
Spellbinder99
Astrophysics Technician

When you say "fixed by VISA" I am assuming thatmeans you bought those parts from RU? Do they sell parts seperately?

Cheers

Tony
Spellbinder99 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 09:52 PM   #8
rockwellcm
Communications Officer

Yes RU helped me out on the smashed parts,the legpods are ok,but 1 will have to be replaced,the Spine was gone,and the cages,all which were supplied by RU

The walkways are not original RU and were Jim Smalls,but he is no longer doing them,so i had to rebuild them,the front one was pretty bad,the inside of the walkways have been P38`d to add a bit of strength.
The top and bottom bracers that hold the cages top and bottom have been replaced (they were a nightmare to remove,and replacements added.

I was given new RU walkways,but liked the Jim Small ones better.

Next is a rebuild of the passenger pod which i have started,the CM had a nasty chip out of the front and has been filled and sanded,while trying to retain the original paintwork.

the legpods will be after that,there was 3/16" brass rod supplied to replace the crushed legs,but i will replace that with the original aluminium rod,which until the roads get better up here will have to wait

I dont have the original RU plans,and Eagle no longer has his,so i might come unstuck on the engine section

anyone got a scan of them?
Old 14-01-2010, 11:58 PM   #9
PurpleAlphan
Life Support Technician

Hello all,

My first post here, been looking around for a while & loving the conversations, information and references - finally decided to join up & say g'day.

Hey rockwellcm (may I call you Donald?), I may soon be able to help with a scan of the RU instructions if you are still interested. I ordered my RU23 last week and just got an email from Ron this morning to let me know that my kit has shipped. Would be more than pleased to scan them for you - I'm sure Ron would not have a problem here - he seems a very good bloke and has obviously already been helpful to you with some replacement parts. He also has included with my kit one of the old solid cast command modules as an extra to apologise for the (very brief) delay in shipping!

Oh, by the way... I noticed when I ordered the kit that it is now listed with "NEW AND MORE COMPREHENSIVE INSTRUCTIONS" so that may be a bonus for both of us!

Cheers,

Lee
PurpleAlphan
PurpleAlphan is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2010, 11:33 AM   #10
rockwellcm
Communications Officer

Lee
First off A warm welcome from me,and all the lads on this fourm.(i am sure they will second that)

I would be most greatful if you have the `new`instructions,i have had a nice donation of the `old` ones,but i would like a look at the newier version as the kit has changed quite a bit since Mark and Jim Smalls version /reviews

I forgot to ask Ron for a copy of them when i ordered the parts,i have tried to keep replacement parts to the bare minimium,as it would spoil the original version,that Mark did.

the project is still progressing well,but quite slow just now due to family commitments,i hope to post updates in the week or so

i will PM my details

Thanks

Donald

Old 15-01-2010, 11:48 AM   #11
PurpleAlphan
Life Support Technician

No problem Donald, I will get onto this as soon as my kit arrives - well... as soon as I have gotten past my giddy girlish excitement!

I'm hoping I'm not the only person to go all silly like that on finally obtaining a grail kit...?
Old 15-01-2010, 11:50 AM   #12
PurpleAlphan
Life Support Technician

By the way - the last item I received from the USA (an SMT Snowspeeder off EvilBay) was sent on December 18 & arrived here on January 5: around 18 days but included Christmas/New year! Based on this I'm hoping to see my Eagle landing here no later than February 2nd. I hope that's not too long for you?

Cheers,

Lee
PurpleAlphan
Old 15-01-2010, 05:50 PM   #13
rockwellcm
Communications Officer

There is no great rush for me,i am a `plodder`i have other interests and modelling is just one of them.
any spare time i have i spend a few hours modelling to chill out,but life is a bit busy for me at this moment

so just when things turn up

just a quick note,i would recommend the Aluminium parts if you can get them as per Eagles build,the really bring things to life
i am sure someone will post the chaps e-mail address in reply to this

Jim Small is no longer doing the walkways pictured above ,and mentioned in Eagles build up
but dont let that spoil things,the originals are not too bad,just the coffin boxes on the top are a bit naff

remember to post your build up on the fourm

good luck

Donald
Old 15-01-2010, 08:18 PM   #14
alfalfa
Communications Officer

Actually I quite fancied this when His Lordship put it up but I didnt want to be the proud owner of the worlds first 23 inch humpback three legged Eagle. However having seen your progress I'm well impressed.
alfalfa is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2010, 09:01 PM   #15
healvis
Communications Officer

Rockwell your doing a good job by the look of it. I'm thinking seriously about ordering one of these.
healvis is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 21-01-2010, 12:02 PM   #16
PurpleAlphan
Life Support Technician

Hey Rockwell,

Thanks for the tip re: the aluminium parts. I found Mike Reader's email address in another post and have emailed him to ask about the parts. You are right, they make a huge difference!

With regard to the walkways, I have seen so many inspirational build ups of eagles on this site that I intend to improve upon areas (such as the coffins) with some scratch built details etc. Hopefully I can pull it off.

Big news for me is that I checked the USPS tracking page and my kit cleared Australian customs this morning, local time. I will be rushing home from work on Monday in the hope it's here. If not I will have to wait until Wednesday as Tuesday is a public holiday. Dammit!!!

I'm stupidly excited about this kit. I think even more so than when I got my Salzo/Captain Cardboard X-Wing a couple of years ago.

Good times! *sigh*

Lee
PurpleAlphan
Old 21-01-2010, 12:28 PM   #17
Bigyan65
Astrophysics Technician

It is exciting having one of these. I've got an RU part contructed and painted........must be the older version because my walkways don't have the "coffins" and the passenger pod was in 5 pieces (2 sides, 2 ends and a bottom).

I put some extra tubes on he top cage and hopefully will add some of the other bits and bobs.

I am at the drilling and pinning the various cage piecies together stage....quite scared of starting that actually.

Well that and the putting the engine section together...bit of drilling there as well..
Bigyan65 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2010, 04:24 PM   #18
rockwellcm
Communications Officer

The replacement walkways (not used by me) were the `coffin` type.

I see Lee,you are keen to get started,but i would like to sugest,just take time and look at how it all goes together first.

this kit requires a lot of sanding and filling

an important tip is wash everything first before gluing anything.
this kit requires a fair bit of modding to get it `right`,as Bigyan 65 points out the spine requires extra parts not supplied.
if you are going for Mikes engines you will have to balance the Eagle with weight at the CM to get it to sit right.
there are lots of others,but just ask on here and the information is normally suppiled

best of all ENJOY the kit,if you get stuck,take a break,its amazing what a nights sleep will do,you will normally have it sorted next day when you take a step backwards.

I am still working on the walkways and the cage fit myself,its a tough one to get 100%

i had no `pin stock`so i had to spend the last 2 weekends looking around for the correct size.

the passenger pod has been repaired,and i am sticking the legs,and thrusters back on,with a repaint in places

I will post updated Images when i can

Donald
Old 22-01-2010, 06:01 AM   #19
PurpleAlphan
Life Support Technician

Hello Donald and all,

Well I was very excited today to find my RU23" Eagle kit arrived while I was at work - about a week earlier than I was expecting it. Cool!

Donald, the new instructions are about 20 odd pages worth! I am happy to scan the lot for you - or anyone else who is interested - or I can just scan the pages that you need. Let me know & I will get it done this weekend.

As for the kit itself, well I haven't had time to have a real good look yet. If any one is interested I am happy to do a bit of a photo show/review of the kit parts etc so you can see what the current incarnation of the kit is like theses days and the quality of the casting etc.

Cheers,

Lee
PurpleAlphan
Old 22-01-2010, 07:43 AM   #20
Spellbinder99
Astrophysics Technician

Where in Adelaide are you PurpleAlphan? I am in Paralowie and there are a few other board members here in SA as well.

Cheers

Tony
Spellbinder99 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote