Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 08-06-2008, 12:22 AM   #1
Spellbinder99
Astrophysics Technician

Default Studio Scale 'Eagle' Laser Tank

Earlier this year I was trading some Konami collectables With Eagle-1 (Robert Hobby) and was trying to work out what I would take in return trade when he mentioned that he was developing a kit of parts to enable a modeller to build a studio scale Eagle Laser tank without having to go to the expense and time of collecting all the smaller detailing parts.

What would be required would be the base 1/25 Chieftain tank, perpex or plastic sheet, tubing and the application of modelling skills!

Intrigued I agreed and sent off my side of the trade and patiently waited the return package, while keeping my eye out for a Tamiya (or clone) 1/25 kit to base the model on.
No luck there yet, but that is another story...

Rob kept me informed as he was in the process of casting up the detail pieces and finally the box arrived on my doorstep a few days ago.
A small aside up front to compliment him on the care with which he packed the parts to ensure they all made the trip from the US to Australia unharmed. Larger castings like the side grill pieces where carefully wrapped in tissue and inserted in ziplock bags, the smaller castings divided into seperate bags and the contents secured in packing peanuts.

On to what I actually got at this stage. The rear hatch and the Bismarck and Warspite parts on the upper part of the rear deck are still being cast up but will follow on soon, but all the other detail parts are present and flawlessly cast in a very nice white resin. Now, I have the Revell V2 kit and the 1/25 scale Gemini which a lot of the detail greeblies on the Lase Tank come from and thus was able to directly compare the cast parts to the originals and I have come away nothing but impressed.
If anything, the castings are cleaner and neater than the originals with all mold lines removed and sink marks filled. A graphic example is the two saddle shaped parts that sit on top of the left hand tank on the model (part 39 in the V-2 kit, 2 required) that exhibit large sink marks in the original part (mine is an early Seventies issue of the kit) but are flawless and smooth in the cast parts.

The four large grill assemblies from the base Chieftain kit that would require three kits or some casting if using original parts are very nice large solid casts from the correct Tamiya parts, but it is some of the smaller more intricate castings like the V shaped struts off the radar dish that especially impress, along with the 1/144 scale LEM leg parts off the back.

The parts he has supplied are comprehensive, I have been comparing what is there to pictures of the original and it certainly all seems to be there. Like most things, there is a small drawback. Though all the parts are cast well with no visible air bubbles or voids, they all without exception include at least a mm of waste resin that will have to be carefully wet sanded off. This indeed is where modelling skills are required and though certainly a tedious task, it certaily looks as if none of the parts are unusable because of it.

Also included are two very nice vacforms of the distinctive "beak" itself, one supplied in 40 thou for the main part and one in 30 thou to cut the panelling from. To that end Rob has marked out the panel areas to be cut and their matching locations on the 40 thou shell, plus the areas to be removed for the vision ports. Also supplied are photocopied templates for the vission port cutouts and window frames, the side skirts and their raised panelling and cutting templates for the Chieftain skirts and the radar dish.

Not supplied initially were templates and dimensions for the rear deck area, but Rob e-mailed me those when I asked about them.

Someone building this model will have to provide the materials for the side skirts, rear deck assembly and the tubing that makes up the details to the rear of the deck. You will have to source a 1/25 Chieftain tank, but at least the worries about the incorrect rear decks on the ToyStar version are eliminated by the supplied deck castings.
You will have to have the basic modelling skills to fabricate the rear deck and convert the raw vac-forms to the detailed Eagle beak style shell, but I would imagine that most people who arrive at this forum have those allready.

There are those who will want to make any Laser Tank replica as correct to the original by using all original greeblie parts and indeed I have a lot of those parts in hand, but I only intend to make one Laser Tank, so this kit of parts puts me a long way towards that aim. I may indeed use some original parts, but there is no need to do so, it is pretty much all there, nice to have that choice.

Quality wise the casting and vacforming is among the best I have seen and I look forward to getting into the meat of building this beast.
Just have to find a Chieftain...

Feel free to ask any questions apart from cost as I have no idea what Rob will ask for these kits as mine was obtained in a direct trade.

Cheers

Tony
Spellbinder99 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 07:16 AM   #2
w8cmp
Science Officer

I'll have to get in touch with Rob again...I was in line for one of these kits when ready, so I need to see how much he's after and get payment sorted as soon as he's ready to supply.

Sounds like you've got a real gem of a kit there. I have a Toystar Chieftain ready and waiting for conversion
w8cmp is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 07:54 AM   #3
Spellbinder99
Astrophysics Technician

It certainly seems to remove most of the negatives with using the ToyStar version as a base. I will post some pictures when I have time but the parts are very well cast and certainly will do the job when fastened on and painted.

Cheers

Tony
Old 08-06-2008, 09:53 AM   #4
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Yes pictures please when you can. I would love to see this build up. We must arrange that.
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 07:22 PM   #5
RED ALERT
Waste Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony42 View Post
Yes pictures please when you can. I would love to see this build up. We must arrange that.
Yes! Please!

RA
RED ALERT is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 14-06-2008, 09:48 AM   #6
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Jay, thanks for the photos, it will be great to see these both come together. Spellbinder is away at present so will be into it shortly. Welcome BTW
Old 22-06-2008, 07:33 AM   #7
Spellbinder99
Astrophysics Technician

What I did while I was away!

I took the bits and pieces away with me when I went to Newcastle (NSW) for a two week course, so I was basically working with limited tools and little reference apart from that provided by Rob in the box.

He supplied two vac-form shells, one in .030 styrene and one in .040. Both are clearly marked for cutting the panelling and its location for gluing on and for the window cutouts. This is the .030 shell after the cutting is done. Careful cutting along the lines with a sharp No.10 blade does the job, ending up with this decorative item...

Of course, the point is to glue the cutout panels onto the .040 shell to end up with this characteristic effect.

Rob has also helpfully drawn the lower cut line on the shells as well.

These are the supplied resin greeblies pre being sanded down and cleaned up.

As an example here is one of the raw castings out of the bag.

And here is it after sanding off the pouring plug.

And here is the end result after some time spent sanding (and now minus several finger tips...)

The bug-eyed monster as it now stands, except for one small problem...

As I was without my references I did not thin the eye frames enough and they are now unacceptably thick. So out came the knife and they have been cut and broken out with no unfixable ill-effects. I will simply have to remake the frames and windows and glue them in again, no biggy

So far the castings Rob supplied are excellant quality with almost zero air bubbles and done in a sturdy pure white resin that will be a great base for the required withe paint scheme. Apart from a few small speedbumps it all goes well.

Hope you all found this interesting.

Cheers

Tony
Old 22-06-2008, 08:45 AM   #8
w8cmp
Science Officer

Looks fantastic...excellent kit !!!
w8cmp is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2008, 01:54 PM   #9
Hawk
Communications Officer

Great photos! Very impressive. Thanks for posting that. Can't wait to see more as you get further along.
Hawk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2008, 12:45 PM   #10
sliuman
Forum Supporter

Is this kit generally available?
sliuman is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 23-06-2008, 01:01 PM   #11
gattispilot
Communications Officer

Are drawings of this available?
gattispilot is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2008, 10:34 AM   #12
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Boring course obviously .... That's looking great mate.
Old 24-06-2008, 03:34 PM   #13
gattispilot
Communications Officer

Where might they be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by areteecee View Post
yeah yeah is there???
gattispilot is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2008, 09:15 AM   #14
Spellbinder99
Astrophysics Technician

I don't have any drawings of the tank apart from some general ones for building the tank rear structure that Rob has supplied. As to availability of the kit, I am to understand that Rob will be offering this set as a complete kit once he has all the molds made and sorted. I will ask him how he wishes people to contact him.

Cheers

Tony
Old 25-06-2008, 08:54 PM   #15
Spellbinder99
Astrophysics Technician

Rob can be reached via PM here under the user name Eagle-1 for any enquiries about these parts outside of what I post here.

Cheers

Tony

Old 19-07-2008, 06:29 AM   #16
Eagle-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spellbinder99 View Post
As to availability of the kit, I am to understand that Rob will be offering this set as a complete kit once he has all the molds made and sorted. I will ask him how he wishes people to contact him.

Cheers
Tony
Hey Tony,

Glad to hear you're pleased! You too Jay.

Rob.
  Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2008, 11:30 AM   #17
Hawk
Communications Officer

That looks awesome! Wow. What a beauty! That was always my favorite of the tanks.
Hawk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2008, 12:55 PM   #18
Doomsday
Communications Officer

It does look pretty stunning.

Nice bit of carpet as well
Doomsday is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2008, 01:25 PM   #19
Stu73
Communications Officer

Bloody Hell! He says picking his jaw up off the floor.

That is well nice!! How big is this monster going to be? That is just sooooo cool.
Stu73 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2008, 09:25 PM   #20
Eagle-1

Thank you guys.

Rob.
  Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote