Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > A Matter of Balance

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 25-01-2010, 07:07 AM   #1
eaglewingone
Communications Officer

Default Eurofighter defeats two US-Jets

Eurofighter defeats two US-Jets

Translation:

The Eurofighter came late, but he seems to be able to compete. According to a newspaper report, two American F-15 have started a mock dog-fight when meeting a Eurofighter. The US-pilots were in for a surprise.

This episode happened over the picturesque Lake-District in Britain: One Eurofighter encountered two US-Fighter of the F-15E type. According to a report of the “Scotland on Sunday” paper this chance encounter developed into a mock air battle. The US Jets had positioned themselves behind the Eurofighter, trailed him for several kilometeres and targeted it with their targeting radar - to show that they would have shot down the Eurofighter in a real battle.

But according to the report the British played along – and delt the Americans a humiliating defeat. The Eurofighter, a two seated trainings version, would have shaken and outmaneuvered the F-15’s. Finally, the Eurofighter was able to position itself behind the US-Jets, what would have likely meant the end for the US-Jets.

The British Pilots would have been as surprised as their American colleagues, according to the newspaper. The nimble F-15, meant to defend air superiority, is seen as one of the best Fighter Aircraft by many experts.

According to the “Scotland on Sunday” this incident, which had happened during the last year, was kept secret by the British – for not embarrassing their American Allies. For the result of this mock battle could have an impact on US inner policy: Supporter for the introducing of the new and expensive F-22 Fighter could feel confirmed.

Doubts over the effectivity of the F-15 against modern fighter jets are nothing new. According to the Federation of American Scientists, simulated battles of the F15, the French Rafale, the Eurofighter and the new F-22 against the Russian Su-35 have been conducted by the British BAe Systems and the British Defense Research Agency. The result: the Rafale was equal to the Su-35. The Eurofighter achieved a kill ratio of 4.5 to 1 - for each killed Eurofighter 4.5 Su-35 went down. The F-22 achieved even a kill ratio of 10 to 1, in contrast to the F-15 which was inferior to the Su-35 by 1 to 1,3.

http://www.spiegel.de/wissenschaft/m...361783,00.html

Last edited by eaglewingone; 25-01-2010 at 07:10 AM.
eaglewingone is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2010, 10:30 AM   #2
FeRaHGo
Communications Officer

The Eurofighter is a spectacular piece of kit and i get the shivers when i see it in action, a marvel of modern egineering! When it comes to the Bournemouth Airshow it is staggering. All of a sudden it's there...doing acrobatics. Then to finish of he psuhes the throttle through the gates and disappears into the clouds, vertically, and you loose him.

Last edited by FeRaHGo; 25-01-2010 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Bit added
FeRaHGo is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2010, 02:43 PM   #3
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

Eurofighter looks and sounds awesome. The U.S. F-22 Raptor is impressive, but I wonder how the U.S. F-35 Lightning II will perform too?
Steve Gerard is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2010, 03:22 PM   #4
steve36uk
Communications Officer

A fantastic aircraft butwho is it aimed at -232 at 30million each yet the RAF hasn't shot anything down since 1945 whereas every subsequent air to air victory since has been courtesy of the Fleet Air Arm,yet the two new carriers may not survive the defence reviews after the next election.
steve36uk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2010, 03:27 PM   #5
w8cmp
Science Officer

I'd like to see how the Eurofighter Typhoon fares against the F-22, Rafale, Gripen etc. Let's see the latest technology on offer one-on-one to see who has the best value for money
w8cmp is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 25-01-2010, 03:38 PM   #6
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve36uk View Post
.... each yet the RAF hasn't shot anything down since 1945 .....
There are one or two Argentinian pilots who may argue that point.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2010, 04:13 PM   #7
steve36uk
Communications Officer

In Air to Air combat-Sea Harriers from Hermes and Invincible(ok some FAA crews were RAF detached)-not Rapier shoot downs .
Old 25-01-2010, 04:25 PM   #8
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Actually my mistake as I misread your post. It was predominently navy (Fleet Air Arm) flyers.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2010, 06:32 PM   #9
Dolphinops
Waste Technician

The RAF shot a Jaguar down in Germany back in the eighties.
As far as the Falklands, Some of 1 Squadron were there. Whether they got anything though I am not sure.
Dolphinops is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2010, 06:40 PM   #10
Dolphinops
Waste Technician

Flt Lt Paul Barton of No.801 Sqn (an RAF pilot on an exchange tour) shot down a Mirage 5 with an AIM-9L, scoring the first kill of the conflict and the first for the Sea Harrier.

There you go. RAF pilot, Navy jet!

Old 25-01-2010, 08:49 PM   #11
steve36uk
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Gerard View Post
The U.S. F-22 Raptor is impressive, but I wonder how the U.S. F-35 Lightning II will perform too?
I wonder too.......
Old 25-01-2010, 08:51 PM   #12
Dolphinops
Waste Technician

If we even get it. More defence cuts looming.
Last I heard testing has been cut back on the JSF.
Old 25-01-2010, 08:58 PM   #13
Doug_H
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Gerard View Post
The U.S. F-22 Raptor is impressive, but I wonder how the U.S. F-35 Lightning II will perform too?
Different aircraft, different mission. It should perform but it will not match the F-22, it was not designed to.

Last edited by w8cmp; 25-01-2010 at 10:29 PM.
Doug_H is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2010, 09:10 PM   #14
steve36uk
Communications Officer

We're a bloody island,only two ways on/off it (excluding the tunnel)-air or sea ergo to defend it we need planes and ships,and those lovely big Flat tops are a damn important part of that,especially when you can't use any nearby airfields to base land based aircraft,or for humanitarian work such as the US fleet are engaged in off haiti-oh and where's our caribbean patrol gone-back home due to budget restrictions
It's 1965 all over again,or 1981.........
Bin the Sea Harriers because they need an engine upgrade.....
Opps no fleet air defence.........
Delay the carriers due to budget........
Dither over the JSF.........
Lose squadrons,bases,units....

Brown,Cameron,Darling,Osbourne-our future in their hands..........
Don't mention the LIb Dems
Old 25-01-2010, 09:13 PM   #15
steve36uk
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug_H View Post
Different aircraft, different mission. It should perform but it will not match the F-22, it was not designed to.
Indeed but it's supposedly the Harrier replacement in the mud-moving/fleet air defence role for us. If it survives............

Old 25-01-2010, 09:47 PM   #16
Dolphinops
Waste Technician

It's having a little trouble with the VTOL bit too from my sources....
The thing I like is coz its so heavy the range is naff and it cant carry much in weaponry.

We could have had decent kit years ago (F18,F16 etc etc) but we have to save British jobs dont we?

TSR2 all over again. Watch this space
Old 26-01-2010, 12:18 AM   #17
deraenged
Chief Eagle Pilot

Thumbs down

Yes....aren't they f***in great....all these incredible beautiful deigner aircraft. They are built with only ONE purpose...to KILL PEOPLE. That's why I left British Aircraft Corporation in 1973....despite being top of my class..............it's disgusting but it IS the world we live in and SADLY necessary to the very survival of the human race, as those who followed my Silent Running thread will know now.
deraenged
PS. I don't know anything about politix (sic)...but aren't bunnies lovely and fluffy?
PPS. WHY have the Haiti government called off the search and rescue whilst the French, Brits and greeks are still pulling out survivors of the MANY hundreds who...as I type ...are STILL ALIVE....wot the f**k??????????

Last edited by deraenged; 26-01-2010 at 12:21 AM. Reason: i'm pissed orf
deraenged is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2010, 12:20 AM   #18
Eagle
Commander Ret.

We had the Phantom.

But, yeah, we should have bought the F-16. Thing is, HMG is far too proud to buy stuff off the shelf that works, is proven to work and what the HM Forces know will get the job done.
Eagle is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2010, 02:41 AM   #19
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

I think the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter Lightning II VTOL(Vertical take off & landing )version is replacing the Harrier Jumpjet.
Steve Gerard is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2010, 05:49 AM   #20
w8cmp
Science Officer

That's the theory...but in my opinion, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

While I love all this new technology, the more complicated you make something, the more there is to go wrong and the more expensive it becomes.

The Harrier has proven itself time after time. Surely another update of the basic design would be the better option rather than an untried / untested design that may possibly end up being cancelled and leave us with nothing.
w8cmp is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote