Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > Breakaway > Blakes 7

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 24-05-2010, 11:25 PM   #21
polaroyd
Waste Technician

It was me that did all the drawings for Horizon. The problem with the Scorpio was its complex shape and the fact that a visfx assistant's foot got to it before I could with a camera! (for the scene where it crashed - a dead rip off of the eagle crashing in Devils Planet by the way - the big model was used for the "aftermath" shot after it was broken in two by said assistants foot!). I thought I'd got it reasonably right, considering what I had to go on. Most of the drawings I did were of models that still existed that I'd managed to photograph. One reason why the set never got finished was the lack of reference material for some of the stuff.
polaroyd is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2010, 12:00 AM   #22
Exterminator
Deputy Commander

It's a real shame the big Scorpio model is no more. It is on my "list" (as was the studio-scale Liberator), a few smaller things to get out of the way first.
Exterminator is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2010, 10:04 PM   #23
andersonitis
Forum Supporter

I know the person who owns the real thing ,he reckons he was offered 70,000 for it
Should he have taken it as he refused ?
I reckon yes I suggested that the person who wanted to pay that much may in the future spend that money he would have put aside for the liberator ,once he has spent it on something else ,I doubt no-one else will come along to match that figure
my friend reckons its worth more
What do other people think ?
andersonitis is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2010, 11:50 PM   #24
mrpsychopath
Communications Officer

Default nice

foly heck thats a big liberator
mrpsychopath is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2010, 12:38 PM   #25
Sage the Owl
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by polaroyd View Post
It was me that did all the drawings for Horizon. The problem with the Scorpio was its complex shape and the fact that a visfx assistant's foot got to it before I could with a camera! (for the scene where it crashed - a dead rip off of the eagle crashing in Devils Planet by the way - the big model was used for the "aftermath" shot after it was broken in two by said assistants foot!). I thought I'd got it reasonably right, considering what I had to go on. Most of the drawings I did were of models that still existed that I'd managed to photograph. One reason why the set never got finished was the lack of reference material for some of the stuff.
I had heard the "foot" story before, but what actually happened to the model after filming, was it just thrown in a skip somewhere ?
Incidentally, I remember seeing your large Liberator model & the orange B29 "thingy" at one of the early '80's Model Engineer Exhibitions at Wembly and being very impressed. I remember thinking at the time that it was a shame the original model was in such a state , I think it was being displayed at the same show by the Beeb although it may have been a different year. I will have to dig out the pics.
Sage the Owl is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 28-05-2010, 09:45 PM   #26
polaroyd
Waste Technician

The original Liberator made an appearance at the 1981 Model Engineer Exhibition from what I can tell from my photo albums, here's a photo
I entered 5 models into the 1983 exhibition, the Liberator and the Orange B29 "thingy" were 2 of them. As far as I know the big Scorpio was junked after filming as I never saw it around afterwards. Interestingly I never saw the small version either yet I think that survived the shoot for the last episode. Models at that time were making quite a few appearances at exhibitions but not the Scorpio.
polaroyd is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2010, 07:51 AM   #27
MangaMax
Eagle Pilot

Ahhh, the old Blakes 7 size variation chestnut.
Can't really see the point in trying to put expanations to it when, at the start of the show, great care was taken to convey that the London prisoner carrier is dwarfed by the massive Liberator:

Then the budget runs out and the 3 person Pursuit Ship is just stuck in front of it for the shot:

MangaMax is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 07:00 AM   #28
Starman
Waste Technician

Default Blakes 7

Here are some pics from the IPMS event at the International Centre, Telford November 2009. Mat is a bit fuzzy but all else is fairly clear. The Orac computer from B7 Mat told me is not working (flashing lights etc.) but this is probably due to him washing it in soapy water to get rid of years of dust! Also I am seen here with the refurbished K9 that Mat got ready for the Sarah Jane Adventures BBC series. Starman.

Starman is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 10:54 PM   #29
Sage the Owl
Astrophysics Technician

Paul & Starman, thanks for posting the Liberator pics,do you have any more that you could share ? as I'm collecting reference for a proposed studio scale build that I want to do.
the ones at took at the MEE exhibition all those years ago didnt come out too well as I only had a pocket instamatic at the time that had a partially broken film winder so you were never really sure that the film had wound on properly so you could end up with multiple exposures on a single frame.
Sage the Owl is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 04:05 PM   #30
Dreamdoctor
Chef

What was Matt doing washing an electronic prop (ORAC) in soapy WATER!!! Anyone should know water and electrical components don't mix.....OOPS!

The Liberator, IMHO, is the greatest sci-fi ship ever.....I loved it from the start and have tried to make models of it before. This is my great project for 2011....

It is so sad to see the photos of it on this thread, however it is better seeing it like this than be told its one gun pod and a box of plastic bits.....can anyone shed light on the difference between Matt's story and Martin Bowers???????

Regards Paul
Dreamdoctor is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 27-10-2016, 10:37 PM   #31
SciFiAssassin
Waste Technician

Hi

I have an unmade Comet Liberator. The sphere is the usual solid white one. I'd like to have a mould made of it, and rendered in transparent green plasic so i could have a light in it.

Can anyone point me in the direction where I could get this done, please? I have no idea where to begin.

Many thankings,
Charlie
SciFiAssassin is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2016, 10:10 AM   #32
Hectors House
Astrophysics Technician

I actually would suggest that you buy clear hemispheres from EMS and find them.
The last liberator ball I had done for a build cost 500.
And that was 10 years ago!
Any local plastic mooring company can do it. Just don't expect it to be cheap.
Hectors House is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 05:29 AM   #33
Ham Salad
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SciFiAssassin View Post
Hi

I have an unmade Comet Liberator. The sphere is the usual solid white one. I'd like to have a mould made of it, and rendered in transparent green plasic so i could have a light in it.

Can anyone point me in the direction where I could get this done, please? I have no idea where to begin.

Many thankings,
Charlie
If you want to do it yourself, you can Make an RTV mould of the hemisphere, and cast it in clear urethane with a bit of green dye in it. Or just get clear spheres from EMA (they sell 'em, not sure of size) and paint the inside with green transparent tamiya paint.
Ham Salad is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 08:28 PM   #34
FALLINGSTAR
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SciFiAssassin View Post
Hi

Many thankings,
Charlie

You could always try and find the clear version? I've got one myself but I've never finished that kit as it's so fiddly with all those fragile and tiny photoetch pieces. Comet Miniatures was a great shop but their kits leave quite a bit to be desired.
FALLINGSTAR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 01:22 AM   #35
SciFiAssassin
Waste Technician

Hullo

I'm going to attempt to makea mould myself. Wish me luck!

Thanks for taking the time to reply, folks! Really helpful!

Charlie
SciFiAssassin is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-2016, 03:05 PM   #36
Crimson Binome
Communications Officer

Good luck - have the Comet kit but never got round to building it
Crimson Binome is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 09:00 PM   #37
FALLINGSTAR
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Binome View Post
Good luck - have the Comet kit but never got round to building it

I gave up years ago after the photoetch antenna kept breaking when I tried to separate them from the backing piece. And the thought of trying to stick loads of paper thin photoetch pieces to the plastic and not have them fall off was just too much.
FALLINGSTAR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2016, 07:42 PM   #38
Brian Artillery
Alphan

Nice to see the original prop, albeit in a shocking condition. I was amused to see, in the shot, Mat Irvine's notorious 'Hairdryer ship', with the AMT/Denys Fisher R2-D2 domes on it.
Brian Artillery is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote