Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > Ring Around the Moon

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 28-03-2011, 04:39 PM   #1
deraenged
Chief Eagle Pilot

Default 'Tomorrow People' models

hi all

can anyone tell me which episode these were used...broadcast in '78 whilt i was on alien n there were no vcrs around then
the moonbase is by me (my first professional commision) and the fighter by martin bower, from the same episode
thanks

phil

this "moonbase was designed by me and only about 60 cm long. the main section was from a child's game...maybe you kow what that is too...i can't remember!

deraenged is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2011, 06:33 PM   #2
JD
Medical Officer

Phil, in your interview in Century 21 #6 you mention the story 'War of the Empires'.

I have a distinct memory of watching Martin's model on-screen, as they shot it quite close and there's a hatch from Darth Vader's TIE Fighter on the underside!
JD is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2011, 10:15 PM   #3
scatta
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Phil, in your interview in Century 21 #6 you mention the story 'War of the Empires'.
Spot on JD, moonbase in part 1 of 'War of the Empires', the space ship appears throughout all 4 parts.
Here are some screen grabs:

Also in 'War of the Empires', the NASA space shuttle looks very familiar:

Paul
scatta is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2011, 10:55 PM   #4
CR
Science Officer

I may be wrong, but isn't the top of the moonbase dome (with the red-orange colour) a piece from inside the Darth Vader TIE fighter model? One of the 'wall' panels, or the rear panel, if I recall correctly?

Neat models, by the way, thanks to all for sharing those pics!
CR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2011, 11:26 PM   #5
deraenged
Chief Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR View Post
I may be wrong, but isn't the top of the moonbase dome (with the red-orange colour) a piece from inside the Darth Vader TIE fighter model? One of the 'wall' panels, or the rear panel, if I recall correctly?

Neat models, by the way, thanks to all for sharing those pics!
thanks...there's some girder bride n x-wing in there too...along with the ends of old fashioned flash cubes...doh! showin my age now!

Old 28-03-2011, 11:29 PM   #6
deraenged
Chief Eagle Pilot

some 35mm film containers and part of an eagle transporter kit...see if you can spot it!
Old 29-03-2011, 12:46 AM   #7
JMChladek
Eagle Pilot

Are those engine outrigger pods on the wings cut down SRBs from the Airfix kit? They seem to have that shape (the cone tips especially). The three wings also seem to look like they might be built from the inner wing panels of the MPC X-Wing.

Weird thing about that episode is I kind of wondered how a race of tall thimble shaped aliens with only one hand could end up creating craft that looked more like greeblied together Earth stuff (typical Martin Bower building it seemed). At least the Thargon craft tended to look a little more otherworldly and alien.

Last edited by JMChladek; 29-03-2011 at 12:49 AM.
JMChladek is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2011, 02:37 AM   #8
CR
Science Officer

Well, let's see... the 35mm film canisters must be the trio of cylindrical tanks on the left side of the model. Are they resting atop the bottom of an Eagle passenger pod? Or might the same bottom of the passenger pod be holding the 'greeblied' section on the right side of the base in front of the big radar dish?
As for the flash cube bottoms, my dad's old Instamatic had those, so I recognise them around the dome part (I spot three on the model).
What's really cool about this base is that it's actually very small, and yet most of the parts look not only large, but original; the kitspotting is surprisingly difficult. Well done!
Old 29-03-2011, 04:18 AM   #9
JMChladek
Eagle Pilot

Found one! Lower left corner of the base (right above the four square things), there is a cylindrical section that looks like the small engine piece from an MPC X-Wing (what the jet engine nozzle piece attaches to on one side and the Saturn V rocket stage intake attaches to on the other). Actually, the three main storage tanks themselves might be built from the X-Wing intakes, although I believe it more likely that indeed film canisters were used.

Looking at the ship, the front of the main pod seems to have a Blakes 7 Liberator thing going for it. The center bit might be the exhaust section from an old 1960s rocket toy that rolls around on the floor. If securing one is too difficult, at least it shouldn't be a problem replicating it (although time consuming). The center section that the wings are bolted to looks like it is made up of 6 structure parts turned inside out to get the angles. Or else it is made of plasticard (but the patterns to me look like some kit part turned around as it looks too convoluted for a plasticard creation).
JMChladek is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2011, 05:34 AM   #10
CR
Science Officer

I think there are cut-down space shuttle SRB's astride the top wing of this fighter. Also, though it shows up better in the Deraenged pic, the forward cylinder seems top made up mostly of a detial-encrusted Saturn V third stage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatta View Post
Isn't that the nose of an X-Wing Fighter at the top of this pic? At the left end of the tube running along the pic's top edge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatta

Last edited by CR; 29-03-2011 at 05:37 AM.

Old 29-03-2011, 02:24 PM   #11
CR
Science Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
And I'm pretty sure the rectangular radar dish on Phil's moonbase is from the Revell V2.
Ah, good one, JD! I think you may be right... been years since I've seen that model, though. Another possibility might be the Explorer 1 rocket, but I don't recall if the interior ribbing was so pronounced in that one. (I got the Glencoe Models re-release many years ago for greeblies, and like the V-2, I haven't actually looked at the parts for several years. I have to re-organise my greeblie boxes.)
Old 30-03-2011, 08:39 AM   #12
deraenged
Chief Eagle Pilot

Quote:
And I'm pretty sure the rectangular radar dish on Phil's moonbase is from the Revell V2.
We're like a bunch of old fire-horses...
yes, you are right...it is
Old 30-03-2011, 08:49 AM   #13
deraenged
Chief Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR View Post
Well, let's see... the 35mm film canisters must be the trio of cylindrical tanks on the left side of the model. Are they resting atop the bottom of an Eagle passenger pod?
the eagle passenger pod is the base for the big circular "communications dish". in fact, as i recall, its just one...cut in half, then glued bottom to bottom
Old 30-03-2011, 08:54 AM   #14
blooper
Geological Technician

just sat and watched the episode.
models were great but the costumes. oh my god.
blooper is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2011, 09:41 PM   #15
commlock
Weapons Technician

I liked that model so much, I made my own version of it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lastscan3.jpg (71.0 KB, 91 views)
commlock is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 31-03-2011, 10:32 AM   #16
deraenged
Chief Eagle Pilot

i've a closer look at war of the empires and there's an interesting scene at about 13 mins into the first installment showing 2 astronauts inside their spaceship...it has an anderson connection! unfortunately i don't know how to do screengrabs
Old 31-03-2011, 10:52 AM   #17
deraenged
Chief Eagle Pilot

here's another shot i found of my moonbase...you can see just how really small it was!

btw...considering what i sead about the anderson connection with tp above, has anybody noticed the connection between blakes 7 and 2001 in the first epiaode. don't no what time it is but its shortly after blakes ship being approached by the baddies
Old 31-03-2011, 04:58 PM   #18
fireflashfive
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by commlock View Post
I liked that model so much, I made my own version of it!
That's a neat model Mark...but you could have dusted the base!!!!!! LOL

Doug.
fireflashfive is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2011, 06:38 PM   #19
JD
Medical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by deraenged View Post
has anybody noticed the connection between blakes 7 and 2001 in the first epiaode. don't no what time it is but its shortly after blakes ship being approached by the baddies
I'm sure you're talking about the second episode when the prison transport docks with the Liberator, and Dave Bowman's back-pack is used as set dressing in the live-action docking tube.

Infuriatingly it also turns up a little later in a Dr.Who (Pirate Planet, I think) as wall-dressing, and this time someone has painted it black!

Phil, either that last photo is flopped or all the other moonbase shots are. Are you left or right-handed?
JD is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2011, 07:09 PM   #20
deraenged
Chief Eagle Pilot

Quote:
I'm sure you're talking about the second episode when the prison transport docks with the Liberator, and Dave Bowman's back-pack is used as set dressing in the live-action docking tube.

Infuriatingly it also turns up a little later in a Dr.Who (Pirate Planet, I think) as wall-dressing, and this time someone has painted it black!

Phil, either that last photo is flopped or all the other moonbase shots are. Are you left or right-handed?

boyo boy u ARE the cheese!

here's some pics i took of the tv screen

ooops on my pic..shuda noticed that THEY scanned it flopped

cheers

phil