Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 20-02-2010, 11:40 AM   #1
jerome
Hydroponics Technician

Default The Return of Victor Bergman

I don't think there is a thread about this short film which will be shown next july at the journey to nowhere Convention.
http://www.anthonywynn.com/journeytowhere/

In honor of the 35th anniversary of Space: 1999, the convention is pleased
to host the world premiere of the new short film starring Barry Morse
titled The Return of Victor Bergman, which features the never-before-seen
return to his classic role, filmed prior to the actor's untimely death.

It is directed by Robert E. Wood, author Destination Moonbase Alpha.

A question: is a dvd release possible in the near future ?
Could Robert E. Wood post some pics of his film ?

I can't wait to have more news about this film.
jerome is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2010, 03:06 PM   #2
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

The Return of Victor Bergman, what a brilliant idea. I can't wait to see this short film. We can call it episode number 50. Since we have the original 48 episodes and the MESSAGE FROM MOONBASE ALPHA short film starring Zienia Merton as Sandra 'Sahn' Benes as episode number 49.
Steve Gerard is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2010, 08:59 PM   #3
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Not sure his death was untimely, he'd reached a good age... just sad. However, this looks like a good idea. Bring back Victor by all means.
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2010, 03:17 PM   #4
CalgaryAlphan
Computer Technician

Well, folks, just to let you know a couple things about this little video. First, it was done at the spur of the moment, with very little time, and even less resources. It is by no means another "Message from Moonbase Alpha".

What it is: a short return of Victor Bergman, filmed because Barry wanted to do a little something for the fans.

And the credits ("Director", etc...) are a little grand, and are not taken very seriously.

It will be shown at the Journey To Where Con in Austin Texas this summer ( www.journeytowherecon.com ), and then will likely be put up online for viewing. And no, it will not be available on DVD.

I'm sure people will enjoy seeing Bergman again, but please - lower expectations are best.
CalgaryAlphan is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2010, 02:56 PM   #5
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryAlphan View Post
Well, folks, just to let you know a couple things about this little video. First, it was done at the spur of the moment, with very little time, and even less resources. It is by no means another "Message from Moonbase Alpha".

What it is: a short return of Victor Bergman, filmed because Barry wanted to do a little something for the fans.

And the credits ("Director", etc...) are a little grand, and are not taken very seriously.

It will be shown at the Journey To Where Con in Austin Texas this summer ( www.journeytowherecon.com ), and then will likely be put up online for viewing. And no, it will not be available on DVD.

I'm sure people will enjoy seeing Bergman again, but please - lower expectations are best.
Even in an empty room with no sets, with Barry Morse playing Victor Bergman again, it earns the right to be called episode number 50.

Old 23-02-2010, 04:07 AM   #6
CR
Science Officer

Well, the fact that Barry Morse did this for the fans is interesting in its own right. I'm glad he was willing and able to do this... looking forward to seeing it!

Just had a thought... I wonder if this is going to be like William Shatner's 'Get a life!' sketch regarding ST fans... (I still over that one!)
CR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2010, 07:21 AM   #7
david_b
Life Support Technician

Wow.. Wow.. Wow..

I was SO blessed to garner a little private time seated next to Mr. Morse, in a pensive mood, sharing me about his brother the police officer, and to even talk a little religion, during one of his final appearances down at Tampa, FL.

This will be SO COOL to watch.

Thank you from the fans, Mr. Morse. Sleep well, sir.

David B.
david_b is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2010, 07:30 AM   #8
david_b
Life Support Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Gerard View Post
Even in an empty room with no sets, with Barry Morse playing Victor Bergman again, it earns the right to be called episode number 50.
Amen, and Amen. Easily earns the right indeed. NO NEED for any effects, any sets, any costuming, nothing.

Just to have this fine, humble gentleman revisit his most famous role, if only for a few minutes, will be heaven.

David B.
Old 23-02-2010, 08:30 AM   #9
david_b
Life Support Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
While I might like to agree with you, I expect many fans of 'The Fugitive' may raise objections!

He had a very long and distinguished career!
Nope, totally understand. Was going to include the 'Fugitive', but I was going to argue that with all the countries that carried YR1, he probably got lots more exposure.

David B.
Old 23-02-2010, 01:56 PM   #10
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_b View Post
Amen, and Amen. Easily earns the right indeed. NO NEED for any effects, any sets, any costuming, nothing.

Just to have this fine, humble gentleman revisit his most famous role, if only for a few minutes, will be heaven.

David B.
Absolutely, this is a brilliant addition to SPACE:1999 filmed episodes.
SPACE:1999 episodes number 1-48
"MESSAGE FROM MOONBASE ALPHA" episode number 49
"THE RETURN OF VICTOR BERGMAN" episode number 50.

Old 07-03-2010, 05:59 AM   #11
Senmut
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
Not sure his death was untimely, he'd reached a good age... just sad. However, this looks like a good idea. Bring back Victor by all means.
Yes. As the "Father of Moonbase Alpha", he really made it look like Alpha was a family. I really missed it when he left.
Bravo, Mr. Morse.
Senmut is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 08:23 AM   #12
blondgod
Geological Technician

I'm really looking forward to seeing it. So many of us love Barry.
blondgod is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 09:05 AM   #13
david_b
Life Support Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senmut View Post
Yes. As the "Father of Moonbase Alpha", he really made it look like Alpha was a family. I really missed it when he left.
Bravo, Mr. Morse.
Very well said. I wished he had more scenes like the ending of 'Black Sun', looking at the camera with cigar in hand.. Those subtle, yet masterful performances were missed so often in Year 2.

David B.
Old 07-03-2010, 11:05 AM   #14
Adama
Weapons Technician

I'm afraid I only watched Year Two for the model effects - To me it had no other redeeming features. I was only fifteen at the time but it went from the number one show to... Garbage! To remove a pivotal character like Victor, without any explanation whatsoever was an insult to my inteligence. I think Sylvia's departure and all the changes that came in was a disaster for the Series (Gerry hasn't really done any thing succesful ever since) - If they had kept Barry on board we might have had Something worth watching - He set the bar, performance wise, and brought believability to dodgy storylines. I remember eagerly watching the opening credits of The Metamorph - The disbelief, the disappointment - No Barry Morse - I knew then it had all gone pear-shaped
Adama is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 12:34 PM   #15
david_b
Life Support Technician

That's how I felt about YR2 as well. I recall at the time, there was an solid appreciation for new YR2 episodes, but they clearly didn't age well over time as YR1.

It really became apparently when the local affiliates would suddenly rerun an episode from YR1 in '76 and you suddenly realised just how much depth, suspence and style was lost, as funny as that might sound.

I only really watched YR2 for John Koenig, Alan Carter and Eagle effects as well.

Aside from some nice Eagle effects in YR2, I was overall disappointed in the other special effects Johnson did. They seemed 'phoned in', per se, like all the kaleidoscope space effects of 'New Adam, New Eve' and others really grated on me.

Just seemed way too phoney.

david_b

Old 07-03-2010, 09:28 PM   #16
Stu73
Communications Officer

Victor Bergman used to scare me when I was a kid.
Stu73 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 01:07 PM   #17
Dunc1
Geological Technician

I had the privilege to meet and speak to Barry at the Fanderson Countdown To Disaster Convention in 2005. He was very nice and one of the most interesting people I have ever met. His talk, followed by a question and answer session went on for an hour. It could have easily gone on for five. Barry, once he was on stage talking to the audience, he appeared to have become twenty years younger. A fine actor, who lived to a good age but is nevertheless sorely missed.
Dunc1 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2010, 07:07 PM   #18
johnnybear
Weapons Technician

Default series 2?

I remember taping the soundtracks of the last few series one episodes on ITV shown in 1976/77. These were done in a very quiet atmosphere with any outside sounds also being recorded,but with series two this changed with a more advanced recorder and leads which were inserted into the television itself. I recorded 22 out of the 24 shows missing the first two,Metamorph and The Exiles and these were my collection of Space 1999 shows for many years (the first season eps,which were unlistenable on the newer decks had to be erased after many hearings)But then in 82 99 returned from the beginning on LWT and I started videoing the shows,but due to the cost of VHS back then I could only tape the favourite episodes(Now I couldn't settle for anything less than the whole series)Series two is very good,with some exceptional adventures,music and performances and although I know them all off by heart,word for word I must agree that year one is by far the best. But that doesn't mean either that year two is crap and avoidable.
JB
johnnybear is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2010, 03:39 AM   #19
david_b
Life Support Technician

Johnnybear:

Totally agree on the quality. Year 2 had some wonderful moments, and I actually liked some of the cosmetic updates (actually always loved the jackets, and more varied outfits over Year 1). I also enjoyed the more emotional aspects of it, like Koenig sharing about his wife in 'Rules of Luton', Jerry and some of the secondary characters coming forward in 'Immunity Syndrome', and many more moments.

Most feel that Year 1 was the 'essense' of Sylvia (and Gerry's) vision, and it was wonderfully executed with beautiful music, stoic acting, moody photography and of course excellent effects.

Year 2, for me anyways.. was successful and exactly what Fred wanted..: Made it more like 'Trek'.

Well they did. (Just like Gil Gerald's plan for 2nd yr of 'Buck Rogers'.., said in many interviews..). Typically when they change the approach to be like 'Trek', they lose the very essence of the original series. Depending on the production staff, it'll be great and likely stand on it's own ~ It's just not the original vision.

I like most of the characters of Year 2, I just couldn't stand the concept of Maya (more times than not a token alien). Catherine Schell is a super actress, and she did wonders with what could have been worse.., I just never warmed to that concept itself. The second year just didn't seem as dramatic or stirring as the first.., but still had good qualities.

david_b
Old 14-03-2010, 06:41 AM   #20
johnnybear
Weapons Technician

Exactly David B. There are some fantastic episodes in my opinion,not up to the magnificent series one I grant you,but,Journey To Where,New Adam,New Eve,Bringers of Wonder and Seance Spectre(love the waste dump ignition bit at the end)plus Dorzak and even The Dorcons. I could never really understand where Maya's clothes went when she changed into an alien,unless she only appeared to wear the alpha uniform,and in reality was bare bones naked...?
JB
johnnybear is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Tags
new film with barry morse