Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 20-03-2010, 10:32 PM   #1
thundergod
Astrophysics Technician

Default Shado Mobiles at Modelzone

Quick heads up , Modelzone are shifting the Product Enterprise SHADO Mobiles for 19.99 . The Trafford Centre branch had all 3 variants . Go get 'em !
thundergod is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2010, 07:48 AM   #2
Dunc1
Geological Technician

I already have. Having bought the badly weathered one a few years ago, I think is is only right that those of us buying them again can get them cheaper. I am only buying them again because they are, weathering or not, great models and I wish Product Enterprises / Iconic Replicas could come up with more releases for the 40 market. Somebody please put their thinking cap on.
Dunc1 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2010, 10:38 AM   #3
thundergod
Astrophysics Technician

Whatever happened to the planned re-release of the SHADO Interceptor set ? Do Product Enterprises not realise that they'd clean up by making this particular model available again ? You only have to see the prices Interceptors are fetching on ebay to know there's plenty of people ( me for instance ) who'd love to get their hands on one ( or more!) Come on P.E , your people need you !
Old 21-03-2010, 11:06 AM   #4
Transporter
Life Support Officer

Has anybody an idea, if the ones sold over the internet are the clean ones?
Transporter is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2010, 03:01 PM   #5
Dunc1
Geological Technician

Default U.F.O. Interceptors

The weathering problem, as far as I know was only with the S.H.A.D.O. Mobiles. The Interceptor and U.F.O. saucer were fine and excellent value for money and sold very quickly. Apologies if I have got the wrong end of the stick. Product / Icon were originally going to issue a set of three Interceptors within their silo. When that fell by the wayside, there was going to be a re-issue of the single Interceptor and Saucer with an alien figure but that also seems to have been shelved. A larger alien figure on its own would be nice and with all the interest about to be generation by the U.F.O. film, this would be a good time for some new classic U.F.O. merchandise.
Dunc1 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 21-03-2010, 07:01 PM   #6
alfalfa
Communications Officer

The ones available now are not clean, they have a side and middle spray of brown gunk but not as bad as the original muck. I cant get it off with toothpaste or brasso yet.

Product Enterprise turned into 16/12, the website used to flash thru it.

The Interceptor/UFO and Skydiver and eagles are sought after on ebay and worth more than paid for.

However at 60 for a set of chunky mobiles they are well worth the money.

Personally I mourn the demise of PE, I could afford their prices and some have gone up in value.

The Mobiles SPV and Stingray are not well loved though.
alfalfa is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2010, 07:48 PM   #7
thundergod
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Is the Stingray not well loved ? I have one and I think it's an excellently executed model ! Or is it just a case of not being up to the "rivet-counters " standards ?
The SPV is o.k in my books as well .

Last edited by w8cmp; 24-03-2010 at 06:17 AM.
Old 21-03-2010, 08:04 PM   #8
Knight1966
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thundergod View Post

Is the Stingray not well loved ? I have one and I think it's an excellently executed model ! Or is it just a case of not being up to the "rivet-counters " standards ?
The SPV is o.k in my books as well .
Ditto, from a rivet counter.
Knight1966 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2010, 08:52 PM   #9
FALLINGSTAR
Communications Officer

The SPV would have been good if it wasn't for the printed on panel lines and the tracks were a bit blobby and mis-shapen [ shame they couldn't have done the tracks as plastic links like the real model though ]. Believe it or not I still haven't got round to getting the Mobiles so can't really comment on them but they look ok from the photo's. I think most people mourn the demise of PE. They started out as a collectable toy and then diecast manufacturer now they've thrown all that out to make resin. If I want resin I'll go to a garage kit manufacturer.

Last edited by FALLINGSTAR; 21-03-2010 at 08:56 PM.
FALLINGSTAR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2010, 09:53 PM   #10
thundergod
Astrophysics Technician

First of all , I'll apologise for digging up the ol' "Product Enterprise " subject again , but it obviously has a few more miles left in it and I still have a couple of queries . The bottom line though is this, why , when they had a pretty good section of the market sewn up , did P.E throw it all away and decide to concentrate on a VERY specific corner of the model buying market . I know friends of mine who have NO interest in model building/collecting , who after seeing one or more of my P.E die-casts , have gone out of their way to track down Eagles/Mobiles/Skydivers. I , on the other hand , am a modeller of over 30 years standing , but would NEVER think of spending a couple of hundred pounds on a model ( at least not in my current financial position !). What market were P.E aiming at ? ( Or am I missing something?) I got into the P.E range pretty late , but if they had continued , say with THUNDERBIRDS ( God , if only ) , I'd have been there on the day of each models release !

Old 21-03-2010, 11:06 PM   #11
Interceptor6
Astrophysics Technician

Default Eagles/Mobiles/Skydivers

Quote:
I know friends of mine who after seeing one or more of my P.E die-casts , have gone out of their way to track down Eagles/Mobiles/Skydivers. ?
Sad to say, that until a year ago, I didn't know "Dinky's" existed of Eagles/Mobiles/Skydivers, let alone P.E.'s or studio scale anythings! Still don't have an Eagle, (as I constantly get outbid!)
Wish I'd found you guys a few years earlier, hell, I had real $$$ back then!!
Jeff
Interceptor6 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2010, 07:03 PM   #12
alfalfa
Communications Officer

Since I don't have a Stingray I stand corrected by renown rivet counter Knight But one languished in the Emporium for months.

However I do have an SPV and IT STINKS

It is a shame they stopped producing but it has been speculated upon on this very forum that they ran out of already available kits to rip off.

My wish list was:
Hawk
Laser tanks
Ultra probe
MSV SPC

As I am not much of a model maker they were a nice way to collect. Interceptor/UFO set now going for on ebay, and wish I'd got a skydiver as well.
Old 22-03-2010, 10:11 PM   #13
Knight1966
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfalfa View Post
Since I don't have a Stingray I stand corrected by renown rivet counter Knight But one languished in the Emporium for months.
As I am not much of a model maker they were a nice way to collect. Interceptor/UFO set now going for on ebay, and wish I'd got a skydiver as well.
Ditto again re Skydiver

I'm not really that bad, just can't decide at times when enough is enough in building mine accurately.

Well my SPV makes anice addition to the four scales I now have of this vehicle, konami,matchbox,PE and old Imai kit.
Old 22-03-2010, 10:55 PM   #14
FALLINGSTAR
Communications Officer

Quote:
First of all , I'll apologise for digging up the ol' "Product Enterprise " subject again , but it obviously has a few more miles left in it and I still have a couple of queries . The bottom line though is this, why , when they had a pretty good section of the market sewn up , did P.E throw it all away and decide to concentrate on a VERY specific corner of the model buying market . I know friends of mine who have NO interest in model building/collecting , who after seeing one or more of my P.E die-casts , have gone out of their way to track down Eagles/Mobiles/Skydivers. I , on the other hand , am a modeller of over 30 years standing , but would NEVER think of spending a couple of hundred pounds on a model ( at least not in my current financial position !). What market were P.E aiming at ? ( Or am I missing something?) I got into the P.E range pretty late , but if they had continued , say with THUNDERBIRDS ( God , if only ) , I'd have been there on the day of each models release !

Well don't know whether it's true or not but I've read that the SPV didn't sell very well. Maybe it's because it was a bit small, maybe it's because there were other SPV's around like Corgi's or maybe it's because it lacked detail here and there and not forgetting the bad paint job on the Mobiles which might have affected sales of them. I've also read that the diecast market has taken a bit of a dive but again don't know if that's correct.

Of course there's the other fact that it's much, much, much cheaper to make resin models than tool up diecast and plastic models. They obviously thought - let's make things on the cheap and sell them for massive prices. Resin models have their place but as I've often said the reason people like me became interested in PE was they were doing the collectable toys and diecasts nobody else were doing.
Old 23-03-2010, 12:20 AM   #15
Knight1966
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FALLINGSTAR View Post
I've also read that the diecast market has taken a bit of a dive but again don't know if that's correct.
Taken a dive? look up any of the Dinky Anderson vehicles on ebay and you'll see just how much demand there is, granted not everything goes for record prices due to wear and tear but example given because I'm trying to obtain one myself is the Dinky FAB1, these are going for 25-60 regularly and MIB versions for 100+. So someone out there wants em and if PE had continued producing at 1/24 or maybe tried 1/18 scale their fortunes wouldn't have suffered so.

Old 23-03-2010, 12:32 AM   #16
FALLINGSTAR
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight1966 View Post
Taken a dive? look up any of the Dinky Anderson vehicles on ebay and you'll see just how much demand there is, granted not everything goes for record prices due to wear and tear but example given because I'm trying to obtain one myself is the Dinky FAB1, these are going for 25-60 regularly and MIB versions for 100+. So someone out there wants em and if PE had continued producing at 1/24 or maybe tried 1/18 scale their fortunes wouldn't have suffered so.

I was talking about the new diecast market. From what I've heard the price of metal [ and other resources ] has gone up but I don't know if that's accurate or not.
Old 23-03-2010, 12:42 AM   #17
Knight1966
Communications Officer

I understood and appreciate that Fallingstar, what i was trying to say though not clearly enough was that perhaps any slump might be to do with the subjects being offered as much as anything else, case in point, the eagles, sold out almost completely world wide, they hit the nail on the head with that one but then got greedy,chucked out any old thing they could (a bit before my time but, Supercar? Really?) and didn't listen to their customers.

What if they'd continued with a 1/24- 1/18 Thunderbirds range or a SID, Meta probe etc etc etc?
Old 23-03-2010, 09:07 AM   #18
alfalfa
Communications Officer

I only paid full price for one of my 3 eagles, got the gift set for 40, rescue for 29, SPV and 2 Mobiles for 19 each. Mrs A got the Interceptor/UFO for 40. Based on my experience they didn't sell well and were heavily discounted. Knight 1966 is right, they didn't listen to their customers and probably didn't market test enough, hence the demise. (I've never even seen an episode of Supercar)

However I probably wouldn't be on the forum if it wasn't for PE.

(Some people might not think this is a good thing)

On balance they were good for our hobby and tried to put out acceptably made models at a good price.

Last edited by alfalfa; 23-03-2010 at 09:08 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 23-03-2010, 01:02 PM   #19
MikeMercury
Astrophysics Technician

PE did their Supercars and their Fireball XL5 diecasts because Comet miniatures had already had the tools made and done them as VERY expensive ltd editions, I have a sneaking suspicion that Stingray was next on Comet's release schedule until PE came along.

Other Space 1999 diecasts would have been great as well as UFO subjects but PE would need to 'find' a suitable donor garage kit to 'recast' (or retool as it were, and I feel Airfix (Hornby now?) might sue the pants off them for 'retooling' their Hawk).

There is only so many Warp / UNCL garage kits to bootleg although I am surprised they didn't 'retool' any of the SAW kits... I'm glad they didn't for Jim's sake.
MikeMercury is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2010, 03:53 PM   #20
alfalfa
Communications Officer

So the laser tank in the Eagle Gift Set was a retooled UNCL kit probably.

I wasn't aware of a retooled Airfix Hawk.

The 16/12 one is about twice as long.