Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > A Matter of Balance

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 16-04-2010, 10:24 PM   #1
saturnapollo
Medical Officer

Default Effects of Volcanic Ash

A very fine crescent Moon and really orange tonight, presumably caused by high altitude volcanic ash. Managed to get a photo of it. Plus you might be interested to see a satellite shot taken on Thursday.

Keith

Last edited by saturnapollo; 16-04-2010 at 10:32 PM.
saturnapollo is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2010, 10:34 PM   #2
Doomsday
Communications Officer

The Moon wasn't orange here.
So maybe not that.
It's the Dundee University that distribute those photos from orbit.
They have loads of great quality ones on their website.
Doomsday is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2010, 10:42 PM   #3
saturnapollo
Medical Officer

Hmm, strange then. Dundee and Edinburgh aren't far apart, but obviously something in the atmosphere has caused it. Don't recall ever seeing it so orange so long after sunset.

Keith
Old 16-04-2010, 10:49 PM   #4
Doomsday
Communications Officer

Could've just been a clear patch over us.
Who knows?
Mother Nature putting man in his place......At last!!
Doomsday is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2010, 10:57 PM   #5
saturnapollo
Medical Officer

I took the photo around 11.30pm so it was quite low. And Grangemouth is roughly between you and me! So that might be a source of pollution

Keith

Old 17-04-2010, 12:21 AM   #6
Knight1966
Communications Officer

'The effects of volcanic ash? well it's effected my feet, ie: I've been on them all day at work due to the increase in human traffic via land and sea as no-one can get anywhere in Europe by air.
Knight1966 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2010, 12:35 AM   #7
NeoGoglu
Eagle Pilot

Maybe it's time to build that huge travel tube
between NA and EU.
NeoGoglu is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2010, 03:59 AM   #8
T70MkIII
Communications Officer

My wife is due to fly from Perth (Australia) to London tomorrow night. I understand UK airspace may open around lunchtime today - fingers crossed...
T70MkIII is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2010, 06:44 AM   #9
w8cmp
Science Officer

UK Airspace closure now extended to Saturday evening as per the BBC website:

UK becomes no-flight zone again

Flights across the whole of the UK have been grounded once again amid forecasts of a worsening threat posed to aircraft by the volcanic ash cloud from Iceland.

Restrictions had been lifted in Scotland and Northern Ireland on Friday evening but were reapplied overnight.
At the same time, the continuing ban on flights in England and Wales was extended from 1300 BST until 1900 BST.
Officials have warned the knock-on effect of cancellations could disrupt European airspace for several days.
Hundreds of thousands of passengers have been stranded in the UK and abroad by flight cancellations.

'Windows of opportunity'
Restrictions on flights in the UK have been in place since 1200 BST on Thursday because of fears particles in the ash from the volcanic eruption in Iceland could shut down plane engines.
Air travel across Europe has been severely affected, with a raft of countries from Belgium to Switzerland completely closing their airspace, while others like Austria, Germany and Poland have enforced partial closures.
At 0415 BST, air traffic control body Nats said: "Following the latest information from the Met Office, Nats advises that restrictions across UK-controlled airspace have been extended until at least 1900 (UK time) and that restrictions to Scottish and Manchester airspace have been reapplied until the same time.

"Current forecasts show that the situation is worsening throughout Saturday.
"We are continuing to look for windows of opportunity to handle individual flights in UK-controlled airspace."
Manchester and Liverpool airports had been offered a six-hour window - between 0400 BST and 1000 BST - in which to operate some flights, but the changing conditions meant that was later revoked.
BAA said passengers due to fly should not travel to its airports - Heathrow, Stansted, Southampton, Edinburgh, Aberdeen and Glasgow - but contact their airline for re-ticketing information.
Nats is due to make its next statement at 0900 BST.
BBC weather forecaster Nick Miller said: "As the weekend goes on there is a risk that prevailing winds will keep volcanic ash in the air above parts of the UK, and may even bring it back to those parts from which it has cleared."

'Significant disruption'
On Friday, Transport Secretary Lord Adonis warned passengers there was likely to be "significant disruption" for the next 48 hours.
European air traffic control organisation Eurocontrol said about 60% of flights within Europe had been grounded on Friday, representing about 17,000 services.
More than half of the normal 300 trans-Atlantic flights had also been cancelled and it warned of "significant disruption" of European air traffic on Saturday.

The Civil Air Navigation Services Organisation (Canso), a global association of air traffic control companies, said the knock-on effect of the cancellations so far would probably disrupt European airspace for several days.
"Traffic will have to be reorganised and rerouted and flights re-planned, all on a dynamic and quite unpredictable basis," it said in a statement.
In other developments:

closed its airspace to aircraft flying under 11,000 metres (36,000 ft) from midnight (2200 GMT on Friday) until at least 2000 local time (1800 GMT) and Romania also closed its airspace over the north-west from 0300 local time (0000 GMT on Saturday) Ryanair cancelled all flights to and from northern Europe until 1300 BST on Monday. It will keep running in southern and central Europe, although flight restrictions are being imposed in Hungary and Romania
The Jet2.com airline cancelled all its flights on Friday and Saturday, adding additional flights for Sunday and Monday
P&O Ferries said it had dealt with 30,000 calls on Friday - the most it had dealt with on one day in its history. It said it would be unable to accept any further foot-passenger bookings
Eurostar trains reported a complete sell-out of its services to Brussels and Paris for the second day on Friday. It has warned customers without bookings not to go to London's St Pancras station because they will not be able to travel
Experts say the tiny particles of rock, glass and sand contained in the ash cloud could jam aircraft engines, as has happened in previous incidents of planes flying into plumes of volcanic ash.

The last eruption of the Eyjafjallajokull volcano system that is creating the problems was on 20 March, when a 0.5km-long fissure opened up on the eastern side of the glacier at the Fimmvoerduhals Pass.
The eruption prior to that started in 1821 and continued intermittently for more than a year.

Story from BBC NEWS

Last edited by w8cmp; 17-04-2010 at 10:40 AM.
w8cmp is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2010, 07:53 AM   #10
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Ryanair have cancelled all flights until Monday. Either that reflects the true extent of the problem or they're being far more cautious than the other arlines.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 17-04-2010, 09:04 AM   #11
alfalfa
Communications Officer

It must be worrying for the rest of the world to be isolated from Great Britain
alfalfa is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2010, 12:24 PM   #12
healvis
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnapollo View Post
Hmm, strange then. Dundee and Edinburgh aren't far apart, but obviously something in the atmosphere has caused it. Don't recall ever seeing it so orange so long after sunset.

Keith
It wasn't orange in Glasgow either. Great photo though.
healvis is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2010, 12:03 AM   #13
JMChladek
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-SFX View Post
Ryanair have cancelled all flights until Monday. Either that reflects the true extent of the problem or they're being far more cautious than the other arlines.
Well, if they had held their flights on the ramp with passengers onboard for hours, think of how much money they could have made off the pay toilets!
JMChladek is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2010, 01:24 AM   #14
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

It's looking increasingly like Monday at the earliest. The guy I'm working for at the moment is trapped in Barcelona which is why I've been brought in to cover.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2010, 03:54 AM   #15
T70MkIII
Communications Officer

My wife might have to postpone her trip for at least 2 weeks according to her travel agent. I presume they will give at least some priority to stranded people, but the backlog will also depend on multitudinous factors, including whether various airlines can or would lease more aircraft, flow rates through airports, whether Iceland explodes again etc etc.

I hope that if any of you guys are stranded, you get back soon.
T70MkIII is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 18-04-2010, 11:18 PM   #16
FeRaHGo
Communications Officer

It was a rather nice tinge of yellow down here in Bristol, my neighbour commented on it. As soon as my mum and I saw the news on the ash a few days ago we had a worried phonecall from Grandmother asking if she'd be all right. We had to tell her it would be just like swine/avian flu, mad cow disease, and all the other over-hyped 'health risks'. I dont care if it's a good story, more care should be taken to assure people that what is harmless, such as the ash (maybe not the flu but you know what i mean),is harmless and we aren't all going to die...again. Poor lady is 84! My housemate says his friend is stuck in Florida for the next 10 days.
FeRaHGo is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2010, 10:01 AM   #17
healvis
Communications Officer

I expected to see a quite a few low altitude prop planes flying and helicopters.
healvis is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2010, 10:50 AM   #18
FeRaHGo
Communications Officer

Thats a point, now that the planes from Birstol Int. aren't flying over i've noticed the light stuff buzzing about more. They dont seem to be bothered
FeRaHGo is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2010, 12:22 PM   #19
Knight1966
Communications Officer

I've just had the busiest weekend at work I can remember out on the Channel, we've been carrying the average seasonal daily qouta for all ferry companies on every vessel, every trip, in terms of foot passengers, ie: on average 300 per day through the port at this time of year, all the companies have had these kind of numbers on single crossings.

And whilst I appreciate how frustrating and difficult it has been for these people to get back across Europe it would have been nicer if they in turn would appreciate the unprecedented situation and that the alternative travel services have been stretched to their limits in terms of resources to help get them back in both directions. To be be fair it is a small minority of self important Snobs, that have had the audacity to moan and bitch, on the whole the general public have been very gracious and thankful for getting them back.
Knight1966 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2010, 02:29 PM   #20
Workshop Artist
Astrophysics Technician

Did you also know that the news reported that the same thick,bellowing blanket
of Volcanic Ash coming from Iceland is still growing and starting to spread,not
just to most of the areas of Great Europe.St John's in Newfoundland is expected
to be engulfed by that stuff too.

Did you heard that it was snowing in where the Cherry Blossom trees are in Tokyo while this was going,coincedence I think not.Something really big is
going on here!
Workshop Artist is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote