Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > Breakaway > Battlestar Galactica

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 12-04-2011, 02:20 AM   #1
starlord
Astrophysics Technician

Default BSG models of mine

Back when BSG first came on the air, I went out and got myself two models, one BSG and one cylon base star.

In later years got a Viper and had it on display Over the years. That BSG and the Cylon base star have displayed hanging from the top of my room and I've lived in L.A., Hawaii and now in Rosamond (that's out in the Mojave desert).

All those years my BSG and CBS have been hanging. During the last year I was able to buy two more CBSs and one Cylon Raider too. I'm now working on my 3rd model of the Base Star.

Last edited by w8cmp; 12-04-2011 at 05:52 AM.
starlord is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 04:39 PM   #2
starshine
Life Support Technician

How long does it take you to make the models? And are you going to be posting photos of them here?
starshine is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 06:10 PM   #3
starlord
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by starshine View Post
How long does it take you to make the models? And are you going to be posting photos of them here?
As the models are on the easy side, it only take a day or two to build the models, then comes the painting job. For the 1st BSG I coved it with a spray can of tan like color paint, I put on the decals and did a tiny bit of paint on a little of the ship's details. the 2nd bsg I spray painted it all black but I've not done the tiny details yet. The basestars are not hard, the 3rd one I got last year I just put it together during the last two days, it needed more work as the model they used to make it, was showing it's age, I had to remove a lot of flash from the parts and the two sectons that made up the top deck I'm having to gold together to form a solid glueing of the parts. I'm using acetone(acetona) to make soft plastic with to fill the gaps between some of the parts. Then I'll think of what or who to paint it.
Old 13-04-2011, 12:23 AM   #4
starshine
Life Support Technician

Only a day or two...impressive! I would like to make models too. I just don't have the patience.
starshine is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2011, 02:10 AM   #5
starlord
Astrophysics Technician

am I am a long time model builder, even at one time lived only a few blocks from Revells factory in the 60's and I used to raid their trash bins for unknown parts too.
Right now I'm slowy filling in the sapces on my 3rd cylon base star and then I'll need to get paint and paint it. I's just waiting for me to get the paint for it.

Right now I don't have a flash to use with my cameras to take photos of the models. I might try setting them outside in daylight and shot photos of them then. I'll have to get my photos on CD's so I can copy them as I don't have a scanner to copy photos with at this time. If I get a flash for my topcon super D, then I'll do shots of them inside.

As they are amt models and all detals are moded into the model itself, they don't take long at all. the fist BSG I built I made sure the parts of the main sectons where glued together with a glue like pastruck type glue and it has held for over 20 years now. That one I used spray paint to paint it with and then a brush to do a few bits on the detales.
I need to get a flash for my camera to take some photos of them. that BSG was on display in a hobby shop for 6 months after I builtd it.

After watching a replay of the newer BSG on the BBC, I still say they whould have droped the tape down into the crater of the live volcano in Hawaii, that would be a good place for it.

Old 25-06-2011, 09:31 AM   #6
Captain Sci-Fi
Commander

Why didn't you like it?
Captain Sci-Fi is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2011, 12:06 PM   #7
Adama
Weapons Technician

Let's see....

Reboot Series - Proper acting, No models (Excellent CGI)
Original Series - Proper models, No acting (Non that I could see...Wait, There was that monkey, in a robot dog suit)

I prefer the Reboot myself
Adama is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2011, 12:25 PM   #8
Captain Sci-Fi
Commander

The acting / story line is just the bit between the effects shots, that's why the give you the fast forward option (both series).

A note about CGI:
Everything has to have a start in it's design someplace whether it's a drawing made with paper or on a computer. I love them both because the design is the thing and it's always possible to make a physical model of most designs. The big advantage in a modern computer design is everything after it's made, lighting, animation, multi plane, multi object passes.

IMHO one will never totally replace the other.
Captain Sci-Fi is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2011, 04:16 PM   #9
starlord
Astrophysics Technician

All they did was rewrite the story line and they started it just about the same time as the old BSG . but this time it says that man had built the cyclons which is a fake idea that has been done in countless storys. plus when the so called newer bag came out, the man who first wrote the real BSG said it was a trashy ripoff.
Old 25-06-2011, 04:42 PM   #10
forza27
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlord View Post
All they did was rewrite the story line and they started it just about the same time as the old BSG . but this time it says that man had built the cyclons which is a fake idea that has been done in countless storys. plus when the so called newer bag came out, the man who first wrote the real BSG said it was a trashy ripoff.
Personally, I thought the new BSG was truely magnificent and the best Sci-Fi since Babylon 5 ( at least up to end of B5 series three anyway as it went way down hill after that )

The combination of great acting, complex characters, religion, politics, great craft and effects was for me unbeatable. Add to that great storyline and tense action...well what can touch it. Best and most comprehansive Sci-Fi.

As for Caprica..............doh!

It always annoys me that the Americans produce an incredible series which does fantastically well ( highest sci fi rating ever ). Then they change its spot in the schedule to boost a flagging day and the audience dynamic changes. The rating slides a little and they can it....Unbelievable. Had they just left it where it was in the schedule, we would have had another series before it ended.

Crazy
forza27 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 25-06-2011, 09:26 PM   #11
starlord
Astrophysics Technician

Well I got to see ALL of the first BSG shows and after watching this so call reboot which is 100% a ripoff of the first shows, then they could take all the tapes of this garbage and use it to coat the flame bucket of a nice rocket launch of nasa for they would be performing a much needed sevice to the world. As I have 3 basestars and two BSG models and a cylon rader too, I will never buy or build anyhing from this one.

It's funny the adds on the BBC are calling it the best they have had. That shows that never have seen the REAL show from before this trash.
Old 26-06-2011, 10:46 AM   #12
Adama
Weapons Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlord View Post
they could take all the tapes of this garbage and use it to coat the flame bucket of a nice rocket launch of nasa for they would beperforming a much needed sevice to the world
Hey, It's a free country... We're all entitled to our own opinions - each one being just as valid as the others (I personally dont care for Space 1999 Year 2)...

Your just wrong though...

Last edited by Adama; 26-06-2011 at 12:00 PM.
Adama is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2011, 11:50 AM   #13
starlord
Astrophysics Technician

I have seen some photos of the models used in BSG and they where not paper. For most of the shows they used the same footage that could be copied into the story line. after all they had to reduce the cost of shooting of film. I have also seen the actors in other shows or films and they did ok.

There was one t.v. show that had the guy who layed starbuck walk across the front lot of the studio and a cylon walked past him and he'd always take a 2nd look. I have one dvd of the first show and it's where no one can easy find it.

Space year 2 never heard of it.

After the so called "reboot" came out, the man who owned the 1st shows, when asked if he liked them, his answer was " NO" they had totally trashed BSG. He let them know that he hoped the clones would win.
Old 26-06-2011, 04:19 PM   #14
forza27
Eagle Pilot

Starlord, Fair play to you. Nostalgia is a good thing. I also watched BSG as a kid on TV and it was great, but looking back at it now..well its a bit like Star Wars 1,2,3 ( later to become 4,5 and 6 ), the acting is bad, the characters card board thin and as for the silly story lines... But sitting in the audience for Star Wars with my Dad, and seeing ( and joining in with ) the audience going crazy at the opening shots ( we are british after all and do not do that sort of thing ) it just becomes past of you, something to look back in fondness and smile at the memories.

I still love the Adam West TV batman..but its hardly Batman Begins and Dark Knight! There will always be a place for a bit of camp daftness. And lets not forget, BSG TV was just cashing in on Star Wars anyway!

Ciao.

Adama, must agree about series 2 of Space 1999. Very Silly.

Hey, wait a minute.

Battlestar Galactica Original series, Battlestar Galactica Re-Imagined. Which ones the best?

THERE'S ONLY ONE WAY TO FIND OUT!

FIGHT!

sorry no, lets have a democratic vote!

Let the votes role in.
Old 26-06-2011, 05:14 PM   #15
starlord
Astrophysics Technician

As I lived not that far away from Hollywood and I was a taxi drive at the time, I was able to learn a few facks. For one thing they had to get funding from the stuidos every week as they did not have a long time contract. so past the first 3 shows, they had to get the scripts oked every week. This I found out as the writers used L.A. Yellow cab to get anywhere in town.and guess who picked most of the writers?
as for the reboot, the reson it got made has that the first shows copyright and gone dead which opened it up for the trash that came. Oh btw over in North hollywood studios storage they still have the full size costums of the cylon warriors.

Old 27-06-2011, 05:22 PM   #16
forza27
Eagle Pilot

Starlord, they are not costumes.. they are real. I met one down on his luck once.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cylon-cgi-732532.jpg (86.4 KB, 32 views)
Old 27-06-2011, 06:29 PM   #17
starlord
Astrophysics Technician

Star Wars? Got news for you, the main guy who started writing BSG said it was more of a Wagon Train of the 28th century. after all remerber who was the main star of the show?

Sure you did, btw, which of the Cylon base stars did he come from?

Oh ya, I was at a fan con that was held in north hollywood and the actor who was Botar was there and 3 guys dressed as BSG warriors when to his table and held him on charges of treason and then using their blasters shot him.

For one thing the cylons are nothing like the old ones. Also instead of Starbuck being a male the gal that fills that post does not even act the same. In this so called show the cylons are or were made by mankind, that in itself lowers the storyline into the "D" level of sci-fi stories and that puts it in the same class as some of the really old dumb sci-fi movies.

As I have ONE copy of the first 3 BSG showes and I keep looking for dvd's of all of the first BSG. Which is best? Number 1, with L.G. as the leader.

EDIT: I tried to make sense of the terrible grammar and spelling in this post - please check what you write before posting so it at least makes sense.

As they are kits sold in hobby shops, it only takes about 3 or 4 days to get them built.
Old 26-09-2011, 03:43 AM   #18
Styrofoam_Guy
Life Support Technician

I enjoyed the first couple of seasons of the reboot. I was not impressed with the NuGalactica though. It did take a while to grow on me. I also liked BSG Razor.

I loved the original Galactica ship and also have a couple of them. I also have a few of the vipers and raiders. I never purchased the Cylon base star for some reason.

I build the NuGalactica and enjoyed the kit a lot. I also purchased the new viper kits an started them.
Styrofoam_Guy is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2011, 07:15 PM   #19
starlord
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by forza27 View Post
Starlord, Fair play to you. Nostalgia is a good thing. I also watched BSG as a kid on TV and it was great, but looking back at it now..well its a bit like Star Wars 1,2,3 ( later to become 4,5 and 6 ), the acting is bad, the characters card board thin and as for the silly story lines... But sitting in the audience for Star Wars with my Dad, and seeing ( and joining in with ) the audience going crazy at the opening shots ( we are british after all and do not do that sort of thing ) it just becomes past of you, something to look back in fondness and smile at the memories.

I still love the Adam West TV batman..but its hardly Batman Begins and Dark Knight! There will always be a place for a bit of camp daftness. And lets not forget, BSG TV was just cashing in on Star Wars anyway!

Ciao.
BSG was not a starwars ripoff, in fact it was more of a space type wagon train. and as star wars was not made for tv and BSG was, and after watching starwars, it had some ok, parts but I felt BSG was better . and I found a place on the web where I can buy the BSG shows on dvd's, which during the next few months I will do. BTW, I not only have the fist dvd of BSG but I have also gotten (at a yard sale) a full LP of the BSG music.
Old 27-09-2011, 06:39 AM   #20
Ham Salad
Communications Officer

The New BSG is mind bendingly dumb and cheap looking. They constantly contradicted themselves, and the ending was a HUGE middle finger to their own audience: they used one of the CLASSIC writer cliches, one that would get you an F in any writing class in the world.

The original had some very silly episodes and plot devices...but at least it always LOOKED great. You could always laugh WITH the writers, instead of having them laugh AT you.
Ham Salad is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote