SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 20-06-2006, 11:17 PM   #1
fireflashfive
Eagle Pilot

Default Die-cast Zero-X

Hello,

Last year there was an announcement that a diecast model of Zero-X was being produced. I think it was to be made by Aoshima. Has anyone heard anything more about this? I've been checking the HLJ website for a while, but there's nothing on there about it. Internet searches have also drawn a blank.

Doug.
fireflashfive is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2006, 06:54 AM   #2
w8cmp
Science Officer

Snap - I've been doing the same checks to no avail...all I can find is plastic kits which are all inaccurate...

Any info on a diecast release would be most welcome...

Chris
w8cmp is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2006, 11:31 AM   #3
TonyB
Forum Supporter

The Aoshima Zero X kit is just the old Imai kit repackaged anyway, it was always a very inaccurate model, shame really as it would have been nice if it had been accurate. Not seen anything on a Die-cast ZX so far, but is this, (if one is coming out), going to be an accurate model or just a Die-cast version of the plastic kit.

Do you know I cannot understand why a Zero X model around 12 to 15 inches has nebver been produced, I would have thought that it would have sold. Still I for one live in hope that one will come out as I love that design.
TonyB is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2006, 07:37 PM   #4
fireflashfive
Eagle Pilot

I remember seeing a picture of the proposed model at the time of the announcement. It looked like an accurate model rather than a diecast repop of the Imai kit. I've tried to find the picture again, but have come up a blank!

Doug.
Old 21-06-2006, 10:20 PM   #5
sliuman
Forum Supporter

Think you were looking for this:

Hope this works, never could post pix.. (How do I imbed images?)

http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/7703/2625kq.jpg

Cheers

sliuman is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 21-06-2006, 10:44 PM   #6
Eagle
Commander Ret.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliuman
(How do I imbed images?)
Cheers
Two ways:

Type/paste: http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/7703/2625kq.jpg then select the entire URL. Then, click the Img tab above the posting box.

Or type:

[img] http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/7703/2625kq.jpg [/img] (taking out the spaces).

In fact, go to edit your post and you'll see exactly how it was done.

Eagle is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2006, 06:19 AM   #7
w8cmp
Science Officer

[quote="sliuman"]Think you were looking for this:
quote]

That's the one...looks like a very nice diecast...I want it !!!

Chris
Old 22-06-2006, 09:21 AM   #8
sliuman
Forum Supporter

Thanks, will check that out Eagle ...actually I was under the impression that Zero-X was a kit...but I don't read Japanese so it's anyone's guess. And is that the PE Stingray in a mini diorama in the bg?
sliuman is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2006, 11:34 AM   #9
TonyB
Forum Supporter

Oh no, that's gone and torn it, I want one of those,

Meh, blinking Japanese, just when you thought it was safe to slag them off they go and do something decent.
Old 22-06-2006, 05:41 PM   #10
fireflashfive
Eagle Pilot

Yay! That's the picture. Since seeing it though, there's been no news, anyone have any idea when it may be available?

Doug.

Old 22-06-2006, 08:08 PM   #11
saturnapollo
Medical Officer

Even though it is quite small in the image it looks pretty very accurate. I'd love one of these too!!! Diecast or plastic I don't care:-)!!!!!!

Keith
saturnapollo is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2006, 08:19 AM   #12
chthonic
Chef

Default oh!

that looks similar to one I have just picked up off ebay here Zero-X on ebay it purports to be the Aoshima model.

My boy is nuts on Tbirds - been looking for this for ages.

Matt
chthonic is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2006, 08:25 AM   #13
w8cmp
Science Officer

The plot thickens...

The box looks very similar...but the kit looks quite small from the picture...nowhere as big as the completed version on display at the Japanese show...

How does it look for accuracy ?

Chris
Old 23-06-2006, 09:51 AM   #14
superswift
Hydroponics Technician

[quote="TonyB"
Do you know I cannot understand why a Zero X model around 12 to 15 inches has nebver been produced, I would have thought that it would have sold. Still I for one live in hope that one will come out as I love that design.[/quote]

Imai did make a larger one that is more accurate, 433mm or almost 17 inched in length.

I have the built kit frm 1968 when I got it.

The MEV comes off as well ass the lifting bodies. The nose cone was actually chromed.

It was motorized so that it could move, the swich is the middle main engine on the main body, just twist on or off.

I never saw it released after that.

I have been looking at Aoshima's site as well as checking HobbyLink Japan on the built kit shown., nothing.

For all we know it is the old kit modified just as a display piece jor someone elses scratchbuilt used as a promo.

Yes, I want one too.
superswift is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2006, 09:56 AM   #15
chthonic
Chef

Quote:
How does it look for accuracy ?
As soon as it arrives (and gets built) and assuming I can wrest it from my boy Iíll post up some piccies!

Matt

Old 23-06-2006, 11:00 AM   #16
TonyB
Forum Supporter

superswift, I actually had one of the large Super Imai Zero X kits, it was big around 23 inch or even more, the wingspan was in excess of 15 inches, although it was a strange styrofoam with resin coating kit with turned engine bells. I got it for an absolute song too, I only paid £80.00 for it from a toy shop in Lincoln that was closing down in 2002. I picked up several Old Comet and Wave kits, so I got a good discount from the guy as I spent so much with him, heh little did he know eh.

This was one of the models I had always wanted but could never afford, I kept seeing it at Toy and Memorabilia fairs going from around £175 to £225. However when I got my hands on it I was vastly dissapointed with the model, as I wanted to have the MEV visible and you only had the option for the heat shield to be on or off, no MEV at all which really peed me off.

Because it was not exactly what I wanted from a Zero X model, I decided to sell it and so had it displayed at the 2003 Fanderson convention in Coventry as I was standing as a dealer at that con, and about a year later sold it on to Tony James at Comet Miniatures for a bloody good markup let me tell you.

There is a moral there you know, wanting something so badly, and then being dissapointed when you get it.

My comment still stands though, I am really dumfounded that a really acurate 12 inch or so Zero X model had never been produced, hopefully rectified now though.
Old 23-06-2006, 04:43 PM   #17
superswift
Hydroponics Technician

The kit I have isn't the polyfoam one, it is an actual styrene kit.

The MEV comes off, hs a wind-up motor to propel it. This was one of the things Imai did, make a toy out of a great kit.

I too wanted the kit you wound up with just for my collection, just too hard to get and too expensive.

I live in Canada where most good deals are made either on Ebay or through mail order, just couldn't get one.

I have the pre-painted resin one as well, out of proportio, but a nice desk model.

When I can I'll take pics of the large kit and post it here.
superswift is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2006, 08:42 PM   #18
chthonic
Chef

Default cor blimey ...

...that arrived quickly- good feeback for that ebayer then.

Yup - it's the inccurate one. It seems it is accurate to the Zero-X (I'm using the Tbird movie) as the dinky eagle is to Space 1999

However, it seems to be designed in the same vein. It's looks like it's a toy you have to make, it has a spring loaded nose cone (with no command module thingy underneath - boo!) and a wee rocket that fires out of the back of the No.1 Wing.

The main body overall is short and seeing as it has its undercarriage lowered (on wing 2 and under the body) it's odd that Wing No.1 is in flight position (i.e. horizontal). I would have prefered that the whole thing was consistant.

On the upside my boy is going to be well chuffed!
Old 24-06-2006, 12:08 AM   #19
Eagle
Commander Ret.

Anyone seen the Zer0-X scratchbuild in the latest edition of Sci-Fi & Fantasy Modeller?

I'm no fan of this but, Wow! It's gigantic!
Eagle is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2006, 04:58 AM   #20
DSJ
Computer Technician

I know which Zero X Superswift is talking about!
DSJ is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote