Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > Breakaway

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 25-04-2011, 12:17 AM   #1
starlord
Astrophysics Technician

Default Robotech

I hope this ok where. I can remeber when the first of the Robotech show first came onto the air. I watched many of them and my brother who lives in hawaii sent me a vido disk that had some 10 of the shows record to a cd. It's closer to this date than the old shows. But with all the members here have done the job of building their own models, I wonder if anyone has ever done the big ship that got the robotech shows started? I've never seen a model for sale on the market, but it's one I would not mine building and do it in the form of the big robo that it could form.
starlord is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2011, 10:01 AM   #2
RedTrev
Hydroponics Technician

Don't remeber this airing at all in the UK. I do remember playing some BattleTech games in the late 80's but that's not the same canon.
RedTrev is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2011, 12:31 PM   #3
ALPHA ONE
Computer Technician

Robotech aired in the UK during the 90's on Sci-Fi Channel, Robotech is actually a composite of 3 un-related 80's Anime Shows, Super Dimensional Fortress Macross/Super Dimesion Cavalry Southern Cross/Genesis Climber Mospeada.

All of these models as well toys are quite commonly available in Japan even today, including the transforming Battle Fortress The SDF-1

If you like Robotech then you should check out Macross Plus and Macross Frontier.
ALPHA ONE is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2011, 09:19 PM   #4
Captain Sci-Fi
Commander

Thumbs up LAN Events....

I like the Chris Foss influence about them, they are quite 1980's epic sci-fi novel paperback cover, any chance of a few images of what you are referring to exactly AlphaOne?

I used to play Battletech/Mechwarrior as a tabletop and later computer game. A few LAN events I attended had clans in full kit with all the Thrustmaster Control Trimmings. Lan events were just prior to MORPG's where church halls or Community Centre's we filled with computers linked up to share a game multi player. Great fun back in the day.

I might have to dig around in the storage when I get a chance see if I can't find some photo's.

Cap'n
Captain Sci-Fi is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2011, 10:15 PM   #5
starlord
Astrophysics Technician

I did like playing mechwarrior online and as a stand alone comuter game too. I got real good at it. I've tryed to bootup mechwsrrion on the xp machinch but it will not play, kees telling me I'm missing a card.

Old 27-04-2011, 07:05 AM   #6
CR
Science Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALPHA ONE View Post
Robotech aired in the UK during the 90's on Sci-Fi Channel, Robotech is actually a composite of 3 un-related 80's Anime Shows, Super Dimensional Fortress Macross/Super Dimesion Cavalry Southern Cross/Genesis Climber Mospeada.

All of these models as well toys are quite commonly available in Japan even today, including the transforming Battle Fortress The SDF-1

If you like Robotech then you should check out Macross Plus and Macross Frontier.
Right, what ALPHA ONE just said. Try Hobby Link Japan for the latest Macross models that are currently available... occasionally old models get re-released, too.

The SDF-1 had several different scale releases of its two versions (cruiser fortress mode & the robot-like attack mode), and Matchbox even made a toy version of it for it's 1980's Robotech toy line.
CR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2011, 10:18 AM   #7
ALPHA ONE
Computer Technician

Wow! CR certainly knows his stuff when it comes to the Tech!
We are impressed

I forgot to mention that Megazone 23 was also included in the Robotech franchise which was blended with scenes from SDC Southern Cross to form
Robotech The Movie featuring a transforming motorcycle called M.O.D.A.T.5, in Robotech also called the Garland in the original Megazone 23 version.

There are also several models of the SDF-1 Battle Fortress available, One of my favourites being a fully transformable Model by The Wave model company, Which is small but perfectly formed! from the movie,
Macross Do You Remember Love?

This was released in 2 colour schemes:

1) Metallic Blue

2) Original Grey colour scheme as seen in the movie

I also have several of the Valkyrie Fighter craft from the the original VF-1 to the more recent VF-25 Messiah from Macross Frontier

Last edited by ALPHA ONE; 27-04-2011 at 10:45 AM.
Old 27-04-2011, 10:54 AM   #8
ALPHA ONE
Computer Technician

Sorry!

I forgot to reply to Captain Sci-Fi' s enquiry regarding Macross.

I'll try to post some pictures of my Macross models when I can, but for the time being...

You can check these shows out on You-Tube & the various models can be seen on the
HobbyLink Japan website.
Old 27-04-2011, 01:46 PM   #9
CR
Science Officer

I could go on for hours about Robotech and the original Macross (not the relatively newer Macross Plus & the like)... I was building Macross kits before Robotech got released in the US, and once I saw the first episode, I finally knew what Macross was! I eventually bought the Role Playing Game by Palladium Books, and ran an extensive years-long campaign based around the series, but with our own characters & situations paralelling those in the actual series. We started out with pilots & ground crew for a squadron of the transformable jet fighters, Veritechs (Valkyries in the Japanese version), but eventually switched gears (and characters) to ground-pounders marching along in the 'walking tanks'--the Destroids--in a post-bombardment Earth.

It was fun using original Japanese source material (books) for visual reference to supplement the game's somewhat inadequate stuff. While we stuck with Robotech continuity for the historical background, we used the much better Japanese nomenclature for the mecha. (Seriously, 'Raidar X'? 'Defender' has a much better sound, and describes the purpose of the anti-aircraft-looking appearance that mecha has. Just like 'Phalanx' describes the cluster of missiles a Phalanx could launch. I guess the US 'Gladiator' was an OK substitute for the Japanese 'Spartan.' But really, did the US have to rename the gi-normous walking gun platform from 'Monster' to the uninspired 'Mac II'?)

The Macross series had a great line up of models, by the way, in various scales. One line was in 1/200 scale, and included Earth mecha as well as alien mecha. (The aliens were called Zentraedi in the US version, by the way... they referred to us humans as Micronians. Seriously, don't get me started!) I liked the idea that the transformable earth mecha weren't sentient robots (like Transformers), but just high-tech machines that the military used. Another popular mecha model scale was 1/100, and several more appeared in 1/72. Larger ships like the SDF-1 were in 1/5000 (the cruiser fortress model in that scale is very well done for its day), with a slightly smaller, less detailed version 1/8000 (made by a different company). The smallest SDF-1 I know of came with the alien capital ship models, which were in 1/20,000 scale!

Depending upon the manufacturer, the detail in the various kits went from high to toy-like. Many of the kits were articulated, but I never had any transformable ones (which would have been larger-scaled, like 1/72). The 1/100 scale transformable fighters, for example, had three versions showing the various stages or modes of a particular fighter, but didn't have a single kit that actually transformed.

Modern kits are much better detailed/tooled, of course, and I know far less about them than the old school stuff I grew up with. As stated earlier, HobbyLink Japan is a great starting point.

Oh, yeah, forgot that there were also some 1/12 scale Southern Cross figure kits, the soldiers in various styles of battle armor, and Mospeada kits of the fighters and 'ride armor' motorcycles (Cyclones in the US version). I have a small selection of some of the Southern Cross kits and a couple of Mospeada fighters in 1/100 scale. The kits just weren't as available as the Macross stuff back then (at least where I lived) and the internet hadn't been invented yet, so I missed out on most of those models.

Last edited by CR; 27-04-2011 at 02:05 PM.
Old 27-04-2011, 02:14 PM   #10
CR
Science Officer

By the way, although the Mechwarrior RPG became a huge success in its own right, I never could get past the fact that it blatantly ripped off Macross mecha in its initial run. To be fair, it did quickly get past doing so, and made a bunch of its own designs both at start-up and forever after, but it just took Macross mecha (both Earth & alien) and attributed its own stats to them. There were even a series of 'miniatures' released for the game, which were simply the 1/200 Macross kits. (A great way to obtain more kits in that line, by the way, which I did.) Mechwarrior also used some of the Dougram kits in 1/144 scale in its 'miniatures' line up.
Dougram was a different 'future military' series that had walking tanks ('robots' piloted by humans) alongside more traditional military vehicles. Many of that series' 1/72 scale and 1/48 scale kits (by Takara) got re-released by Revell as Robotech Defenders prior to the tv series Robotech, along with a few Macross kits, creating some confusion as to just what went where. The Dougram kits were articulated (but none of the mecha therein were transformable, by design), so one could pose the various mecha, or I suppose make a stop-motion movie.

Oh, and just to add to the confusion, Testors also re-released some of the 1/200 scale Macross mecha in a series labelled R.O.B.O.T. that had nothing to do with anything! But at least it used most of the original Japanese box art (minus the backgrounds).

Last edited by CR; 27-04-2011 at 02:27 PM.

Old 27-04-2011, 02:24 PM   #11
CR
Science Officer

A final note, there's a modern line-up of 'toy' figures from Kaiyodo called Sci-Fi Revoltech, with ball-like joints for super articulation. Many figures appear in the line-up (HLJ has pages devoted to it), including old kaiju (giant mosters from the Godzilla series, but curiously not including Godzilla himself), Alien/Aliens, and of course, Macross mecha, including Macross Plus.

Last edited by CR; 27-04-2011 at 02:28 PM.
Old 27-04-2011, 02:34 PM   #12
ALPHA ONE
Computer Technician

Once again CR raises the bar!

Yes Robotech was my first exposure to the world of Macross and mainstream Anime proper!

I had seen and enjoyed Science Ninja Team Gatchaman aka: Battle of The Planets in the late 70's/Early 80's

I bought several of the toys produced at the time by Poppy/Bandai but could not understand why the Vehicles looked nothing like those in the show.

I later discovered that these were in fact from a later Gatchaman series.

Interesting fact The Mac II or Monster in Macross is also referred to as a Koenig Monster

"Strange but True!"

Also speaking of classic Anime and related things does anyone remember
Go Nagai's classic puppet show masterpiece, X-Bomber aka: Star Fleet?

Last edited by ALPHA ONE; 27-04-2011 at 02:43 PM.
Old 27-04-2011, 02:45 PM   #13
CR
Science Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALPHA ONE View Post
Yes Robotech was my first exposure to the world of Macross and mainstream Anime proper!

I had seen and enjoyed Science Ninja Team Gatchaman aka: Battle of The Planets in the late 70's/Early 80's
Mine was Speed Racer, though I had no idea as a young child that it was Japanese. Later, I also watched Battle of the Planets, ignorant of its Japanese origins. Starblazers came out not long after BotP, which I learned fairly quickly was Japanese (Space Cruiser Yamato), and hooked me forever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALPHA ONE
Interesting fact The Mac II or Monster in Macross is also referred to as a Koenig Monster
That's news to me. Got any reference?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALPHA ONE
Also speaking of classic Anime and related things does anyone remember
Go Nagai's classic puppet show masterpiece, X-Bomber aka: Star Fleet?
I think some members here may have discussed that on another thread, relating to Thunderbirds or to Terrahawks, but I don't recall for certain.
Old 27-04-2011, 03:04 PM   #14
ALPHA ONE
Computer Technician

Yep! Terrahawks was also cool another great G.A. series.

As for the Koenig Monster I have The transforming toy by Yamato which states it as a
"Koenig Monster" on the box which I picked up whilst on holliday in Japan along with several 1/148 Scale Valkyries & Gundam models in 2005.

In has 3 modes: Shuttle/Tank/Robot

Other Models included in Revells Robotech model line up included were Mecha from Super Dimension Century Orguss.
Old 27-04-2011, 05:39 PM   #15
CR
Science Officer

I didn't see any Revell re-releases of Orguss stuff, though I do have one large kit from that series in the original Japanese packaging I got around the time I first started getting the Macross kits. I think it's 1/48 scale, and might be a 'rare' tranformable model. (Never did put the thing together!)
Oops, I just remembered, there was one Orguss kit Revell had: they called it Exases, and it was purple. I used it for greeblies in kitbashing. (I recently used a few of the ladder rungs from said kit, after all these years, for piping details on a scratchbuilt "Bringers of Wonder" waste dome vignette.)

As for the Monster, the one I'm thinking of was non-transformable, and was basically a walking gun platform with four big cannons on top and two boxy 'arms' with missile launching tubes. http://www.robotech.com/infopedia/me...echa.php?id=15 I just recently missed the re-release of this kit in 1/200 scale, and hope I don't have to wait another 20-30 years to try to get it again! I'll have to check into the thing you're talking about.

By the way, what's the topic of this thread? The SDF-1? See, now that I'm started, I just go on and on and on. I warned all of you!

EDITED TO ADD: Ah, found it, Bandai's Konig (not Koenig) Monster, from Macross Frontier. http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN960994 See, I'm old school, and didn't know about the newer version, though I had once seen a drawing of the shuttle mode online.

Last edited by CR; 27-04-2011 at 05:57 PM.

Old 28-04-2011, 12:24 AM   #16
Captain Sci-Fi
Commander

Ain't it just beautiful....

Captain Sci-Fi is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2011, 11:01 AM   #17
ALPHA ONE
Computer Technician

Default Robotech

It's nice to know that there are still some die-hard Macross fans out there CR.

If you like the Original Macross then you might want to check out Macross Zero, a prequel to the original show and The Superb Macross Plus with The fantastic Valkyrie Proto-Types YF-19 ALPHA & YF-21 OMEGA.

Also I'm currently watching Gundam Unicorn.

Fantasic! Oh The Joy of Mechs!!

As for the Battletech mecha,looks suspiciously like a Macross Mecha to me!

I think Showji Kawamori would have something to say about that one!

Last edited by ALPHA ONE; 28-04-2011 at 11:16 AM.
Old 28-04-2011, 05:04 PM   #18
CR
Science Officer

I have not followed Macross Plus, but am I mistaken or correct in one assumption about it?... it's a sequel series to the Macross movie (not the American thing, but a Japanese re=telling based upon the original Macross series... more on that later) and what seems to be a sequel to that called Flashback 2012. (I saw the movie back in the very early 1990's, and have the visual guidebooks books for it & Flashback 2012... the movie is actually volume 11 in the This Is Animation series, and the Flashback 2012 book is from the Best Hit Series series... never actually saw Flashback 2012, though.)

Anyway, as I mentioned, the film seemed to me like a very condensed re-telling of the original Macross series, with a darker 'feel' to it, and slight changes to the storyline and characters. (Max gets enlarged, rather than Mirya getting micronised, for one thing!) Even the SDF-1 was altered, with a pair of ARMD space carriers for 'arms' instead of the ocean-going Prometheus & Daedalus vessels of the original series. The Flashback thing, as far as I can tell, depicts a period a few years later, where Earth launches a new SDF to the stars.

Based upon the artwork style, mecha designs and so forth, Macross Plus seems to me to be a sequel in that timeline, not the timeline of the original series.

Yes, I know after all these years I should just do a quick online search and figure it out for myself. I've just never gotten around to it, because other things have taken priority.

Just an aside, the ultimate visual guidebook for the original Macross series has got to be Macross: Perfect Memory. I was very lucky to have gotten a copy from a local comic book shop that sadly no longer exists. I know that most Japanese anime shows have similar books for fans/audiences, and the amount of detail is astounding, but for me, Perfect Memory was the first exposure to such a book. Believe it or not, I did not have a VCR back in those days, so this book was my best substitue for the series, and added even more detail than what was shown onscreen. The comic adaptations of Robotech from Comico were good, too, and I bought the 'Volume One' Robotech soundtrack--on vinyl--to get the music score (or what I knew even then was an extremely truncated version thereof). Good times!

EDITED TO ADD: By the way, Megazone 23 got mentioned earlier. I have the Japanese books of Megazone 23 & Megazone 23 Part 2, which looked very interesting visually. Curiously, though Part 2 is a direct sequel, the art style for the characters changes; they werre drawn more realistically, less 'cartoony.' The books are the equivalent of what we used to call 'photonovels' that use screen grabs to tell the whole film in 'comic book' format. The stories looked interesting and a rough plot synopsis I found in an anime fanzine helped fill in some of the details for me.

Eventually, when I saw the Macross movie, I also saw taped copies of both Megazones. Interestingly, Part 2 started with an extra scene drawn in the first Megazone 23 character style before getting into the main story. I assume now that this was a deleted scene from the first film, that whomever had made the tape added to the start of Part 2. Anyway, it made up for the deleted 'love scene' that occurs in Part 2 (Very graphic sex for a cartoon, for those who care about such things... unheard of in mainstream US animation of the day, to be sure!)

Last edited by CR; 28-04-2011 at 05:26 PM.
Old 03-05-2011, 02:14 AM   #19
Workshop Artist
Astrophysics Technician

I saw that show myself when it first came out on Saturday Morning
in September of 1985.Robotech was the very tv show that really
helped to introduce growing scores of fans into the growing world
of anime.

I was not only a fan of that show myself,I am also a long-time manga
and anime fan from the middle of the 1960's.
Workshop Artist is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 04:36 AM   #20
starlord
Astrophysics Technician

Well during the 1st part of the 60's my folks moved from s.cal. to txess( total wast of time) and then back to san diego. then after some years they moved back to l.a. and I went into the army. made it all the way to germany and then vietnam. after coming back home the first thing I sar was the Star blazersm after foing to hawaii, I then not only saw robotech, but some other japanese shows, both anime and live action. so I've been a fan since the 1980's as in hawaii I got to see Mazinger and super mazinger and the best anime at time was Raideen! and I still have many of the records of the songs from those shows and the live action one too. anyone that comes into my trailer enters another space - time area.

Kamen Rider V3 "fight for all"