Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 18-05-2011, 05:09 PM   #1
fireballman
Astrophysics Technician

Default Fireball XL5 in colour

Will colourisation generate a new era of television for Fireball XL5 and Supercar to go with the later colour programs like Stingray and Thunderbirds, or should they be in the original black and white?

Last edited by fireballman; 19-05-2011 at 01:47 PM. Reason: Spelling, caps, and grammar! 3 strikes, you're out! ;)
fireballman is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2011, 09:31 PM   #2
Captain Sci-Fi
Commander

Having both gives the choice and opens them to a bigger market place IMHO.

I don't think it will make them anymore memorable or less forgotten, I think it will mean some sales to fans like me who would want them for curiosity value and the added dimension of colour.

If you are asking this as a question for discussion, I hope I answered correctly.

I am a self confessed: "I prefer the early Supermarionation series" Fan
Captain Sci-Fi is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2011, 01:39 PM   #3
TerraForm1
Astrophysics Technician

The single colourized XL5 episode that Network-DVD released (Day in the Life of a Space General) was stunning. You'd almost believe it was originally filmed that way. I'm torn as to which format I prefer: The monochrome film is an art form that reflects an era of television and is nostalgic for someone like me who was 5 when it was first broadcast. However, the quality and accurate colour assignments in the colourized episode are so convincing... I guess I like 'em both for different reasons.
TerraForm1 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2011, 01:55 PM   #4
fireflashfive
Eagle Pilot

They aren't broke so why fix them.........leave them as they are and how they were intended to be.

Doug.
fireflashfive is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2011, 08:53 PM   #5
Richard Baker
Eagle Pilot

It was how they were made, but perhaps not as they were intended to be. Color was very expensive and a lot of households did not have color TVs then (mine didn't). XL5 was designed in color, the models look great in color and if the series kept on it might have gone to color like 'Lost in Space' or 'Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea' did.
Richard Baker is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 21-05-2011, 09:24 AM   #6
Jonathan E
Medical Technician

No households had colour television when Supercar and Fireball were in production. BBC 2 started the first colour transmissions on the 1st July 1967.
Jonathan E is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2011, 12:13 PM   #7
Air Terrainean
Life Support Officer

That's true of the UK, but colour TV was introduced in America before we got it over here - not sure when though.
Air Terrainean is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2011, 02:38 PM   #8
Captain Sci-Fi
Commander

I don't see having a choice as a bad thing, the B&W episodes would be untouched, just a second set available in colour for those that would want them. I remember a lot of TV21's with Fireball XL5 full colour photo's packing the pages, even some of the strips were produced in colour, thinking about it so were most of the annual contents, so there seems to be a precedent. Personally it would add to my enjoyment of the show but I see it's not for everyone.

The next thing you know they will be releasing episodes on BluRay so we can see all that excellent detail that a 1960's TV could never project.
Old 21-05-2011, 06:09 PM   #9
fireballman
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireflashfive View Post
They aren't broke so why fix them.........leave them as they are and how they were intended to be.

Doug.
the thing is i don't like black and white photography.it does not give it the atmosphere like the other colour shows that gerry made has.
Old 21-05-2011, 06:11 PM   #10
fireballman
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Baker View Post
It was how they were made, but perhaps not as they were intended to be. Color was very expensive and a lot of households did not have color TVs then (mine didn't). XL5 was designed in color, the models look great in color and if the series kept on it might have gone to color like 'Lost in Space' or 'Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea' did.
i guess it was made in black and white for that and bugetary reasons.

Old 21-05-2011, 06:12 PM   #11
fireballman
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Terrainean View Post
That's true of the UK, but colour TV was introduced in America before we got it over here - not sure when though.
america had some colour tv sets from 1959/1966.
Old 21-05-2011, 06:14 PM   #12
fireballman
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Sci-Fi View Post
I don't see having a choice as a bad thing, the B&W episodes would be untouched, just a second set available in colour for those that would want them. I remember a lot of TV21's with Fireball XL5 full colour photo's packing the pages, even some of the strips were produced in colour, thinking about it so were most of the annual contents, so there seems to be a precedent. Personally it would add to my enjoyment of the show but I see it's not for everyone.

The next thing you know they will be releasing episodes on BluRay so we can see all that excellent detail that a 1960's TV could never project.
i have to agree on that.it would be like bewitched when sony released them.sony made two versions of the bewitched dvds.one is in the original black and white(for both seasons)for region 1 and the other is the colour versions for region 2.
Old 21-05-2011, 07:42 PM   #13
fireballman
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan E View Post
No households had colour television when Supercar and Fireball were in production. BBC 2 started the first colour transmissions on the 1st July 1967.
wow.i thought it was 1969 that colour tv was broadcasted.
Old 21-05-2011, 07:46 PM   #14
fireballman
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:

i heard that colour test footage was made in case they decided to make the series in colour.
Old 21-05-2011, 07:52 PM   #15
fireballman
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Baker View Post
and i think colourization should useful.i have contacted west wing studios(who does colourization like legend films) and they were interested with colourizaing the series.this is the email i got from west wing:"Thank you for your interest in West Wing Studios. In answer to your questions, we have our proprietary coloring software that is used for the coloring of film and television. We can absolutely color any variety of material. I see that you used photoshop and legend films to color some stills of Fireball-X15 already (one of my favorite shows growing up). The colors look good. In motion, with our animation team in Goa, these colors could come to life and Fireball-X15 would find a whole new audience.

I would like to show you more what we do. Are you close to Burbank where our office is? Please email your contact info (phone, address, etc.) and we can talk more. I can send you an updated DVD demo... My info is below.

Have a great weekend.'

i showed them my colourized stills.if you like i could send you some.

Old 21-05-2011, 08:27 PM   #16
Captain Sci-Fi
Commander

If they are anything like your avatar I for one would LOVE to see them, post away
Old 21-05-2011, 08:39 PM   #17
fireballman
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
If they are anything like your avatar I for one would LOVE to see them, post away
thanks.colourized stills coming right up!

Last edited by fireballman; 21-05-2011 at 09:03 PM.
Old 21-05-2011, 08:50 PM   #18
delta tango
Astrophysics Technician

Looking at this, I'd vote Fireball XL5 to be colourised!
delta tango is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2011, 11:20 AM   #19
fireballman
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta tango View Post
Looking at this, I'd vote Fireball XL5 to be colourised!
agreed.it would bring a whole lot a new veiwers to see fireball xl5 take off from the launchpad in colour.
Old 22-05-2011, 01:40 PM   #20
Captain Sci-Fi
Commander

Tell me that's not a thing of beauty...

Thank you, thank you...

Tags
colourized, fireball xl5, supercar, television