Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum


Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > SHADO Operations > Control Room

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22-05-2011, 02:30 PM   #21
fireballman
Astrophysics Technician
 
fireballman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 340
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Sci-Fi View Post
Tell me that's not a thing of beauty...

Thank you, thank you...
i told west wing aboult network.they contacted them but unfortunatly no answer.
fireballman is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2011, 11:41 AM   #22
Jonathan E
Medical Technician
 
Jonathan E's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Manchester
Posts: 162
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireballman View Post
wow.i thought it was 1969 that colour tv was broadcasted.
BBC 1 started their colur transmissions in 1969. As nice as it is to see the colourised stuff, i think some XL5 episodes are much more atmospheric in black and white. Ghosts of Space and 1875 for instance.
Jonathan E is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2011, 01:09 PM   #23
fireballman
Astrophysics Technician
 
fireballman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 340
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan E View Post
BBC 1 started their colur transmissions in 1969. As nice as it is to see the colourised stuff, i think some XL5 episodes are much more atmospheric in black and white. Ghosts of Space and 1875 for instance.
which reminds me.i coloured a screenshot from "ghosts of space'.the scene is venus on the stairs when the door closed.i used colour refrences from stingray:"the loch ness monster'.if you like to see it i'll be very happy to.

Last edited by fireballman; 23-05-2011 at 07:29 PM. Reason: screenshot
fireballman is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2011, 01:20 PM   #24
fireballman
Astrophysics Technician
 
fireballman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 340
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Baker View Post
It was how they were made, but perhaps not as they were intended to be. Color was very expensive and a lot of households did not have color TVs then (mine didn't). XL5 was designed in color, the models look great in color and if the series kept on it might have gone to color like 'Lost in Space' or 'Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea' did.
"i dream of jeannie' was shot in black and white because of that.sidney sheldon wanted to shoot the first series in colour because they were swiching over to colour in late 1965/66.but NBC and screen gems thought "i dream of jeannie' might not get a second season.sydney said he will be willing to pay the extra $400 for colour filming but screen gems executive Jerry Hyams advised him, "Sidney, don't throw your money away".
fireballman is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2011, 12:20 AM   #25
Tim Smith
Communications Officer
 
Tim Smith's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 1,180
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireballman View Post
america had some colour tv sets from 1959/1966.
Yeah, but it was 1973 at my house! Boy did UFO look good!
Tim Smith is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 24-05-2011, 10:15 AM   #26
Zodiac
Waste Technician
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 14
Default

Those stills look great in colour. Oddly there does seem to be a lot of powder blue used in the backgrounds - is that because it shows detail better when filmed in monochrome?

Z.
Zodiac is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2011, 01:52 AM   #27
Richard Baker
Eagle Pilot
 
Richard Baker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Warrior, Alabama
Posts: 540
Default

Those are wonderful!
I remember when Ted Turner caused an uproar by colorizing old classics. What people failed to think about is that to do it you have to get the cleanest possible source material to start with. If you do not like seeing a film in color, you can adjust the television's controls to remove the color whenever you want. (not sure about HDTVs, I have not played with those controls much, but old style TVs had saturation knobs).
Richard Baker is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2011, 04:28 PM   #28
fireballman
Astrophysics Technician
 
fireballman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 340
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Baker View Post
Those are wonderful!
I remember when Ted Turner caused an uproar by colorizing old classics. What people failed to think about is that to do it you have to get the cleanest possible source material to start with. If you do not like seeing a film in color, you can adjust the television's controls to remove the color whenever you want. (not sure about HDTVs, I have not played with those controls much, but old style TVs had saturation knobs).
but now thanks to legend films and west wing studios with a new digital colouring process they make them look like they were actully shot in colour.
fireballman is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2011, 04:29 PM   #29
fireballman
Astrophysics Technician
 
fireballman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 340
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiac View Post
Those stills look great in colour. Oddly there does seem to be a lot of powder blue used in the backgrounds - is that because it shows detail better when filmed in monochrome?

Z.
might be.they might habve used blue paints on the control room set.the navergator room walls are red.
fireballman is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2011, 12:06 PM   #30
marty_hopkirk
Astrophysics Technician
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 453
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan E View Post
BBC 1 started their colur transmissions in 1969. .


Err... no quite.

BBC started their colour service in early 1967. The first high profile event transmitted in colour was that years Wimbledon. Auntie had done a number of test transmissions prior to this, mainly via the fondly remembered trade test transmissions which strangely continued into the '70s. They made a number of programmes in colour in '67 and '68 including: Late Night Line Up, Colour Me Pop (fore-runner of the The Old Grey Whistle Test) and number of Football Matches as well as broadcasting imports like the Virginian in colour.

It was ITV who introduced their colour service in the autumn of 1969.

Marty...

Last edited by marty_hopkirk; 28-05-2011 at 12:11 PM.
marty_hopkirk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 28-05-2011, 02:42 PM   #31
fireballman
Astrophysics Technician
 
fireballman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 340
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty_hopkirk View Post

Err... no quite.

BBC started their colour service in early 1967. The first high profile event transmitted in colour was that years Wimbledon. Auntie had done a number of test transmissions prior to this, mainly via the fondly remembered trade test transmissions which strangely continued into the '70s. They made a number of programmes in colour in '67 and '68 including: Late Night Line Up, Colour Me Pop (fore-runner of the The Old Grey Whistle Test) and number of Football Matches as well as broadcasting imports like the Virginian in colour.

It was ITV who introduced their colour service in the autumn of 1969.

Marty...
and of course in 1970 there was a strike by itv which is the colour strike.timeslip with david graham was one of the show to lost it's colour with two eps made in black and white.
fireballman is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2011, 05:00 AM   #32
Masterspy
Eagle Pilot
 
Masterspy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 637
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty_hopkirk View Post

Err... no quite.

BBC started their colour service in early 1967. The first high profile event transmitted in colour was that years Wimbledon. Auntie had done a number of test transmissions prior to this, mainly via the fondly remembered trade test transmissions which strangely continued into the '70s. They made a number of programmes in colour in '67 and '68 including: Late Night Line Up, Colour Me Pop (fore-runner of the The Old Grey Whistle Test) and number of Football Matches as well as broadcasting imports like the Virginian in colour.

It was ITV who introduced their colour service in the autumn of 1969.

Marty...
Actually, his statement was perfectly correct. BBC 1 did start transmitting in colour in 1969. It was BBC2 that offered a colour service from 1967.
Masterspy is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2011, 09:06 AM   #33
marty_hopkirk
Astrophysics Technician
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 453
Default

I did say, "not quite".

Semantics perhaps, even though they were not meant for public consumption and as such not advertised. There was BBC-1 colour transmission prior to 1969, from certain transmitters. Admittedly all in the shut down periods (remember those?) mainly the overnight the ones.

Marty...
marty_hopkirk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2011, 11:15 AM   #34
delta tango
Astrophysics Technician
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 419
Default

I think An episode of Stingray was taken down to the B.B.C. Where they were experimenting with a colour T.V. A.P. Films wanted to see what it would look like in full colour! This was around 1962/3.

The U.K. should have had colour in about 1957 using the American system
National Television System Comitee, N.T.S.C. for short. The U.K. ended up using the German system Phase Alternating Line or P.A.L.
delta tango is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2011, 12:28 PM   #35
marty_hopkirk
Astrophysics Technician
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 453
Default

The BBC were carrying out colour test transmissions as far back as 1955.

Marty...
marty_hopkirk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 29-05-2011, 04:36 PM   #36
captain_Ed
Medical Technician
 
captain_Ed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland
Posts: 190
Default

Some episodes of 'Andy Pandy' were made in colour in the fifties as an experiment too.
captain_Ed is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2011, 07:49 PM   #37
fireballman
Astrophysics Technician
 
fireballman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 340
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_Ed View Post
Some episodes of 'Andy Pandy' were made in colour in the fifties as an experiment too.
my nan had a vhs of the colour andy pandy at her house.
fireballman is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2011, 01:23 AM   #38
Masterspy
Eagle Pilot
 
Masterspy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 637
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta tango View Post
I think An episode of Stingray was taken down to the B.B.C. Where they were experimenting with a colour T.V. A.P. Films wanted to see what it would look like in full colour! This was around 1962/3.
Really? Where's the evidence for this?

As for Andy Pandy - the colour ones were made in the late 60s or 70s. Not in the 50s.
Masterspy is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2011, 04:57 PM   #39
deraenged
Chief Eagle Pilot
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,451
Default

as i see it, the main problem with colourising shows we know is that we KNOW they were not shot in colour and makes them kinda fake looking. the technology isn't bad but it isn't that great either. if they did the whole of fireball i doubt i'd re-buy it. hmmm....i haven't event watched all the b/w episodes!
deraenged is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2011, 12:47 PM   #40
fireballman
Astrophysics Technician
 
fireballman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 340
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deraenged View Post
as i see it, the main problem with colourising shows we know is that we KNOW they were not shot in colour and makes them kinda fake looking. the technology isn't bad but it isn't that great either. if they did the whole of fireball i doubt i'd re-buy it. hmmm....i haven't event watched all the b/w episodes!
if they colourized the show i'd buy it.
fireballman is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Reply

Tags
colourized, fireball xl5, supercar, television

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
This site and contents are copyright Bernard Walsh 2010 all rights reserved, no reproduction of material in any form without written permission email: Bernie.walsh@mac.com