Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Recreation and Dining Complex > Dragon's Domain - Image Gallery

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 19-05-2011, 05:46 AM   #1
Johnson Arms
Hydroponics Technician

Default Custom NERF Guns and Props

Hey folks, I was very impressed with all the cool guns posted on ET and I wanted to share some of my stuff, if that's ok I've been a it for about 9 months so I'm really pleased to have received my first movie credit for propwork and I hope to have 2-3 more in the coming months (a few are in production or post-production). It's all a bit much, but I've really decided that this is something I want to do as more than a hobby and I get a bit focused when I set my mind to something. I hope you all enjoy the results!

I will post WIP photos as I can and final shots on anything I feel is worth showing. You can also check out bcjfla76.deviantart.com if you're wanting to see them sooner

Best Regards,
Brian Johnson
facebook.com/johnson.arms
Johnson Arms is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2011, 05:49 AM   #2
Johnson Arms
Hydroponics Technician

Here is a gun I did for a guy in Turkey. He is a fan of nerf as well as Mass Effect 2. This was the result of that mashup in my head

WIP Shots

Old 19-05-2011, 05:58 AM   #3
Johnson Arms
Hydroponics Technician

Here's a bit of a mixture of stuff I've done in the past few weeks. Yes, I like military colors! Hehe

Nerf Longstrike

Plastic airsoft pistol (working red dot)

Nerf Maverick

This will reduce the number of photos I need to upload

Nerf Quick 16

Cool squirt gun with a vac tube!

Customized and modded Nite Finder. Great little guns!

Nerf Alpha Trooper ME2 style

WIP!

Thanks and let me know if I need to slow down on the posts!

Brian
Old 19-05-2011, 07:22 AM   #4
Captain Sci-Fi
Commander

Thumbs up Painted up, dirtied down....

Slow down? Never..!

Thanks for posting these images, they are terrific.

I love the paint finish of these props. You seem to be a master of dry brushing and it definitely adds that touch of realism. Worn edges provide a nice opportunity to fool the eye into thinking it's made from metal as the paint has worn through from battle use. It's a real skill we could all benefit from.

I don't like to see large areas of block colour and these techniques add so much to the artistic finish.

Ok, spill the beans, what materials do you use and how did you decide when enough is enough?

Cap'n
Captain Sci-Fi is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2011, 12:05 PM   #5
ALPHA ONE
Computer Technician

It's amaizing what a coat of paint can do! Nerf-tastic!
ALPHA ONE is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 19-05-2011, 12:34 PM   #6
Johnson Arms
Hydroponics Technician

Thanks guys! Well, I use the basic assortment of bottle paints from model masters and I quite often custom mix the colors for my needs, such as an "alien" metal color that doesn't look like a typical patina...I figure they found something out there better than steel and aluminum

I use a lot of rattle cans, but I can put on a coat a nice as an airbrush (does not say a lot for my AB skills, possibly!) and it's just nice to not clean up after I use a color for 2 minutes, ya know?

As far as when to stop, if you mean with the details, it's when I hit the time limit set by the price I sell them at. I'd love to do everything on every single gun, but I'd be making about 4.00 an hour eventually If you mean stop making them in general, that answer is never!! I'll likely die with a brush in my hand and I'll have a smile on my face if that ends up being the case

I'll post more stuff soon and I hope if anyone needs a replica painted or anything else, just shoot me a PM. I downloaded forumrunner so I can check in more often from my phone!

Regards,
Brian

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
Old 19-05-2011, 03:05 PM   #7
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

Impressive lethal looking weapons, NERF guns never looked better. They look ready to be used in a science-fiction movie.
Steve Gerard is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2011, 03:11 PM   #8
Johnson Arms
Hydroponics Technician

I appreciate that Steve! I actually have one of the photos of a few guns that were used in a film that's going to be used to shop to the big movie companies I'm just collecting movie credits right now, hehe!

Old 19-05-2011, 03:17 PM   #9
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnson Arms View Post
I appreciate that Steve! I actually have one of the photos of a few guns that were used in a film that's going to be used to shop to the big movie companies I'm just collecting movie credits right now, hehe!

That is awesome, your work on these definitely deserve recognition on movie projects. The merchandising based on this movie has the built in NERF product.
Steve Gerard is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2011, 04:30 PM   #10
Johnson Arms
Hydroponics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Gerard View Post
That is awesome, your work on these definitely deserve recognition on movie projects. The merchandising based on this movie has the built in NERF product.
Exactly! Damned lawyers and their fear of lawsuits! I'll keep at it and I'm looking forward to seeing where it takes me, heh!

Thanks again to all you guys, I've had a blast checking out all the amazing models!

Brian

Old 20-05-2011, 11:20 PM   #11
Interceptor6
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnson Arms View Post
I'm just collecting movie credits right now!
No movie credit's here, but I bought one of Brian's fantastic Nerf guns for my grandson's birthday, and we BOTH absolutely love it!
Great work, and a fine chap to meet in person!
Cheers! Jeff
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 069.jpg (45.4 KB, 32 views)
Interceptor6 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2011, 05:49 AM   #12
Johnson Arms
Hydroponics Technician

Thanks Jeff, I'm honored to have contributed to you grandson's happy day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interceptor6 View Post
No movie credit's here, but I bought one of Brian's fantastic Nerf guns for my grandson's birthday, and we BOTH absolutely love it!
Great work, and a fine chap to meet in person!
Cheers! Jeff
Old 21-05-2011, 05:50 AM   #13
Johnson Arms
Hydroponics Technician

Here's a commissioned Maverick I just wrapped up tonight. Did the 5 cent mod and removed the restrictions. Shoots a streamline about 50 feet flat. Quickly.

and some other stuff...

Old 24-05-2011, 05:52 AM   #14
Johnson Arms
Hydroponics Technician

Ok, here's some new photos. Enjoy

Resin cast

Primered

Cap gun, hehe. Love these!

Spring powered airsoft

Resin cast

whew...ok, more later.

Last edited by Johnson Arms; 24-05-2011 at 05:55 AM.
Old 24-05-2011, 06:05 AM   #15
Captain Sci-Fi
Commander

Smile

It seems that you have this painting process down to a tee.

Could you provide a practical demonstration? These techniques are used on so much Sci-Fi hardware and it would be a very useful skill to learn.

I love your stuff....

Old 24-05-2011, 06:14 AM   #16
Johnson Arms
Hydroponics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Sci-Fi View Post
It seems that you have this painting process down to a tee.

Could you provide a practical demonstration? These techniques are used on so much Sci-Fi hardware and it would be a very useful skill to learn.

I love your stuff....
Thank's captain! Would you be devistated if I said that I'm not a good instructor for the painting? I don't keep good notes and most everything I do is "on the fly". I'm a bit of an Idiot Savant without the Savant part down pat, hehe...

If anyone has a question on a particular surface, I will be more than happy to guide ya in the right direction. A lot of the "special" stuff I keep under my hat, but that still leaves a ton of stuff I am more than happy to share with the community!
Old 24-05-2011, 06:34 AM   #17
Captain Sci-Fi
Commander

It would be really cool if you could post a picture of your work area. I am always interested to see what materials people use, paints and brushes, that kind of thing.

The messier the better

I know one guy who builds WWII Battleships in very large scale 5 feet+ from cardboard and wood (yes really). He builds deck structures on a collapsable ironing board while watching TV. His work is amazing, I'll try to find some pictures, I met him in the days before I had a camera unfortunately...

We can all marvel at another persons ingenuity, I always find new stuff to learn and refine my techniques, share what you can, no one expects you to give away any trade secrets.
Old 31-05-2011, 04:53 AM   #18
Johnson Arms
Hydroponics Technician

I will be certain to do that in the next few days! Man, it's a mess, but that's what happens when I have a bunch of stuff going on at one time. I think I'm at peace in the chaos

Here's some new photos, hope you guys approve!

Brian

Sorry for the quiet! Took some time off this weekend to spend with my kids. Hope you all had a nice one as well

Still a WIP!

---

not a nerf gun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Sci-Fi View Post
It would be really cool if you could post a picture of your work area. I am always interested to see what materials people use, paints and brushes, that kind of thing.

The messier the better

I know one guy who builds WWII Battleships in very large scale 5 feet+ from cardboard and wood (yes really). He builds deck structures on a collapsable ironing board while watching TV. His work is amazing, I'll try to find some pictures, I met him in the days before I had a camera unfortunately...

We can all marvel at another persons ingenuity, I always find new stuff to learn and refine my techniques, share what you can, no one expects you to give away any trade secrets.
Old 31-05-2011, 10:41 PM   #19
birdie
Weapons Technician

Great work, I went well over the distance to get the right nerf (scout) to convert to River's gun from Doctor Who.
birdie is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2011, 11:26 PM   #20
Johnson Arms
Hydroponics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdie View Post
Great work, I went well over the distance to get the right nerf (scout) to convert to River's gun from Doctor Who.
Thanks! Do you have any photos of the gun?

Tags
custom, modified, movie, nerf, props