Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Main Mission > The Hangar

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 26-05-2011, 06:20 PM   #1
cytherians
Travel Tube Technician

Default Were the bottom notches really necessary on the Eagle?

There are a number of things I liked about the Eagle and a few that bothered me. The forward facing windows were completely flat, which is fine for space but terrible for an atmosphere. However, we clearly see 4 notches on the control module, almost as if the bottom ones were windows as well. True, any forward shots show only the top windows lit. But why are those bottom notches there? It looks to be purely aesthetic, to promote a sense of symmetry. But to me, it seems kind of wasteful given the design.

The Eagle Hawk Mark IV (correction, Mark IX Hawk) has top notches only, where the windows are situated. This makes sense and it looks pretty good. I think it would have been a good move to use this same control module design for the Eagle. If symmetry was essential, then black triangular panels on the bottom could have been affixed to mimic the top. Better still, make them laser ports! That was another thing that bugged me... the laser shooting out from underneath the control module with no apparent nozzle of any kind. It just didn't look right. Having dual lasers fired from the left and right undersides of the front would have been a nice touch.

Last edited by cytherians; 27-05-2011 at 04:06 AM.
cytherians is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2011, 08:03 PM   #2
MkIXHawk
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cytherians View Post

The Eagle Hawk Mark IV has top notches only,
What on earth is the Eagle Hawk Mark IV?

Do you perhaps mean the Mk IX Hawk?

MkIXHawk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2011, 10:37 PM   #3
VTracy
Eagle Pilot

Well, I'm just a fan and not a model builder, but I'll offer my opinion.

For the sake of my argument, I'm going to project/assume any moonbase construction is an international undertaking. So too, then, are the Eagles.

From this I can assume that the Eagles are constructed from parts produced by many different countries. Contracted, sub-contracted....Boeing, Airbus, chinese, japanese, russia, etc.....

Then I can assume that one of the most highly prized contracts is the "command module". This is where most of the action happens. It's the most recognized part of the Eagle. Companies will pay top dollar for this!

So then we can assume that two companies, let's say Boeing and Airbus are in furious competition to build the "command module". After not being able to choose a "winner" in this, a decision is made that each company will build half the module, with assembly done in space by a third company. This keeps everyone happy, and keeps the money rolling in. Therefore, a "top" or "bottom" portion of the module is exactly the same. Windows can be added or removed by the Alphans as needed.

Also, this helps in salvage. If a top half of a module is damaged, it's simply removed, and two bottoms are put together. All the other equipment simply slides into place. Interchageable parts!

This can also explain the seemingly high number of faulty Eagles seen in the series. Different parts, companies, countries....bound to be some errors
VTracy is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2011, 10:45 PM   #4
healvis
Communications Officer

Or maybe it's just a matter of the eagle model being approved & built before the cockpit set was.
healvis is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2011, 11:30 PM   #5
VTracy
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by healvis View Post
Or maybe it's just a matter of the eagle model being approved & built before the cockpit set was.
Damn you Healvis!!

Must you be so clever!!!!

Old 27-05-2011, 04:05 AM   #6
cytherians
Travel Tube Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by MkIXHawk View Post
What on earth is the Eagle Hawk Mark IV?

Do you perhaps mean the Mk IX Hawk?

Heh, yeah--Mark IX Hawk is what I meant. It had been so long since I saw the series, I got the naming a little mixed up. Sorry, no insult intended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by healvis View Post
Yeah, that sounds very plausible. Who knows, they may not have even settled upon the scale at that point (the control module might have been considered to have 2 levels at some early point).

VTracey, that's an excellent point. Making the two halves symmetrical makes creation easier--one set of molds for the top and bottom.
Old 28-05-2011, 04:21 AM   #7
Fun Pod
Communications Officer

How aout this: the CM also doubles as a detachable life boat during an emergency, however, there is only room for two seats and control panels in the cockpit. As there is no 'up or down', 'top or bottom' in space, perhaps the lower half of the module shares a common floor, with inverted seating for four, possibly six other passengers (remember, they don't have to face 'forward', they may sit face to face, ala the transporter tubes - this is an emergency after all!) with the actual nose portion of the CM still housing instrumentation. This assumes the floor is central to the CM, which may actually break with what is canon.
Fun Pod is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2011, 07:47 PM   #8
Richard Baker
Eagle Pilot

I like to think of the lower ports as being windows, providing a view of the approaching landing area, like in helicopters and the transparent floor panels in teh Blade Runner Spinner. They would appear unlit since they would be under the cockpit in the footwells.
The problem with the Eagle Cockpit is that the interior sets to not resolve with the exterior design. I have seen many attempts to work it out, but they have to foreshorten the interior and pilots positions are all wacked. In the set there is a raises access between the two seats, which are low. To get the pilots to see out the front windows the seats need to be much higher.
Richard Baker is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2011, 06:10 PM   #9
cytherians
Travel Tube Technician

^ Yep, it's that darned timing thing... they made the Eagles before the interior sets were established, no doubt.
Old 31-05-2011, 08:00 AM   #10
w8cmp
Science Officer

Those lower ports were transparent on the original model as originally built, as were the upper windows through which you can see the pilots. I believe the intent was, as stated above, to allow the pilots a view of the landing area much like a helicopter.

The live action set didn't quite fit with this, and those lower ports on the model were painted black from the back side.
w8cmp is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 31-05-2011, 12:38 PM   #11
ALPHA ONE
Computer Technician

Yep!, I've got to add my add my bit and say I too could never understand the the idea of the recessed areas on the underside of the CM.

I don't get the idea of there being windows underneath either, surely they would use a combination of cameras and sensors to land the Eagle.
ALPHA ONE is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2011, 01:52 PM   #12
w8cmp
Science Officer

Don't forget this was designed in the early '70s...
The idea of sensors / cameras to monitor landing might have been a little beyond the technology of the day, and windows might have been the most practical solution to spring to mind.
w8cmp is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2011, 02:10 PM   #13
ALPHA ONE
Computer Technician

I did'nt think of that, You could be right, but then again they must have had some sort advanced electronic avionic systems?

and lets face it although lovely to look at the Command Module never really made a lot of sense with regard to exterior and interior design.

Maybe it's time to go back to the Drawing Board, Lets have a New show with new designs would'nt that be Great!

Last edited by ALPHA ONE; 31-05-2011 at 03:24 PM.
ALPHA ONE is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2011, 02:41 PM   #14
VTracy
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by w8cmp View Post
Don't forget this was designed in the early '70s...
The idea of sensors / cameras to monitor landing might have been a little beyond the technology of the day, and windows might have been the most practical solution to spring to mind.
Also, this command module seems to be pretty generic. It's also used for the Ultra probe, and probably other ships/missions.

Keeping it symmetrical allows for greater flexibility.

At least that's my theory!
Old 31-05-2011, 03:17 PM   #15
CR
Science Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTracy View Post
Also, this command module seems to be pretty generic. It's also used for the Ultra probe, and probably other ships/missions.

Keeping it symmetrical allows for greater flexibility.

At least that's my theory!
The Meta Probe had an Eagle CM... the Ultra Probe's CM was like an extended version, though clearly based upon an Eagle CM... I guess it's the 'stretch limo' version!
CR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 24-06-2011, 02:40 PM   #16
Garuda
Eagle Pilot

Actually, Brian Johnson said in an interview that he only added the lower windows for symmetry, because it looked good. No other reason, really.
Garuda is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2011, 04:30 PM   #17
Gerry Anderson Fan
Geological Technician

Well symmetrical aesthetics is as good a reason as any.
Gerry Anderson Fan is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2011, 07:30 AM   #18
JMChladek
Eagle Pilot

Well, they don't have to be windows on the bottom. Just look at the Ultra Probe CM. It had the same cutouts as an Eagle CM, yet it had no windows in front of the pilot seat, just camera views.

My theory in the "Crap Design" thread is the other black areas in the cutouts were locations for phased array radar antennas facing to the side and down for rate and ranging data. The front facing ones could do the same job. These would be perfect for flight, rendezvous data and other stuff. So on the Eagle the bottom ones would be forward looking arrays while the top ones would be windows. And the Ultraprobe would have arrays in all the cutouts.

As to why the Hawk doesn have them? How about ammo storage for the internal mounted gun? Plus it might have a more protected sensor package or armor plating down there given that it is a dedicated combat craft.
JMChladek is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote