Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > Breakaway

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 29-05-2011, 07:27 PM   #1
starlord
Astrophysics Technician

When I lived hawaii I was able to buy 2 very small models of the above namer craft. I have done one and I will do the 2nd one in a month. These models only cost me $1.00 each. I've looked at the web and I've found some that go as high as $70.00 bot ones that are 1/350 in scale. I just read a story about the model company having a big display in a city over there that had the sounds from the so called wave motion engine and wave motion gun. I've got a photo of it and I'll try to and it onto this post.

forgot to say, the display is a 5 meter long model
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1289802851_yamato_sacas.jpg (11.9 KB, 114 views)
starlord is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2011, 09:36 PM   #2
CR
Science Officer

Ah, like the Robotech thread, this is another that I might frequent and bore everyone with minutea about Space Cruiser Yamato/Space Battleship Yamato/Starblazers
Hobby Link Japan often has model kit from the series on sale, though nowhere near as cheap as $1.00. Still, they do have the mini 'mecha scale' kits, a set of 30 ships from the three seasons and the first few movies. Most are not in scale to each other, but a few are close... basically, each kit is sized to fill a standard sized box (AKA 'box scale'). I assume the small model starlord is building of the Yamato is kit #1 in that line... it's approximately 1/2000 scale, based on a WWII kit of the Yamato I have from years ago (and by the same manufacturer, BANDAI).

As for that 1/350 scale model, I've seen pics of it online, and know someone who's seen it on display and got to see all the light ups & sound FX... an incredibe, beautiful model, if one has the money to afford it! It even comes with in-scale fighter craft & figures of the main characters!
CR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2011, 09:49 PM   #3
starlord
Astrophysics Technician

I've never known the scale they where made at, but they are of the space cruiser from the shows. I did find a page about the building of the models and had they where used. They also told about a dispay of the big model in japan that was 5 meters in size and then even said that there had been a live action show made that only aired for a short time.

I hope the image come up.
Old 30-05-2011, 01:24 AM   #4
CR
Science Officer

A live action film re-imagining the original story was made in Japan last year, and 'Yamato mania' swept the country. That big display was related to all the fanfare surrounding the film, if I recall correctly.
Old 30-05-2011, 02:23 AM   #5
eurosector
Astrophysics Technician

I trust that everyone on this thread might already be aware that, here in the U.S., the Sci-Fi Channel has been airing a couple of episodes of Star Blazers every Friday morning since April at 1:00 or 2:00 a.m. I tape the episodes on my VCR and enjoy them later as it's a pretty ungodly hour for me that they're aired. The last time that I saw the series was over 30 years ago!
eurosector is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 30-05-2011, 02:33 AM   #6
starlord
Astrophysics Technician

the models of it that I found in Hawaii was small, only 6inch long! I've got one to the point of painting it, the 2nd one I've not built yet. I got them back in 1992 from a japanese shop over there. I had seen one bigger one when I lived in L.A.calif in about 19980 but it's price was outside of my pocketbook. it was about 18 inch long and would have cost me $400.00 to buy it.
Old 30-05-2011, 05:42 PM   #7
CR
Science Officer

Thanks, eurosector, I'd forgotten about that!

Starblazers.com also has Region 1 DVDs of the entire series for sale in their SHOP section: http://starblazers.com/home.php
Old 01-06-2011, 04:47 PM   #8
starlord
Astrophysics Technician

it might be that time where you live, but out here on the west cost, it's shown at 10 or 11pm. most of time it's been at 11pm but last week it was at 10pm.

and this weekend I unpacked a box of magazines I've had for some time. in it is a kind of comic book about the star blazers and there was suppost to be more of them but I've only had the one. in it there are drawing of the ships used in the show and one two page blue print of the main ship itself.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:45 PM   #9
CR
Science Officer

Sounds like the West Cape Corporation animation comics: http://starblazers.com/html.php?page_id=180
I have all five of them, and for many years, they were the best thing I had relating to the series. I waited in vain for the second season to get an adaptation like this. (Of course, in Japan, as the Starblazers.com site humourously mentions somewhere, whole forests must have been clearcut to make all the paper for all the Yamato-related books & magazines. But in the US, coverage was pretty scarce.)

Last edited by CR; 01-06-2011 at 05:48 PM.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:31 PM   #10
starlord
Astrophysics Technician

so far I've tryed that page two times and have not gooten to it.

Old 03-06-2011, 01:52 PM   #11
CR
Science Officer

Weird... it works fine for me.
Try this: go to starblazers.com and scroll down to a collection of thumbnails that show the various series & movies. Click on the thumbnail that says "The World of Starblazers." Once on that page, there are a series of tabs on the right side... click on "Books & Comics" and a drop-down list appears. From that list, click on "WCC Animation Comics" and you'll see a write-up about them, complete with sample thumbnails that can be clicked to enlarge.
Old 05-06-2011, 05:36 PM   #12
TV21Dalek
Eagle Pilot

I have most of the 1/1000 and 1/700 scale Yamato Earth-based kits from the original story. They are mostly beautifully detailed models, although the surface detail is a little like Matchbox kits, with the panel lines being like trenches in some cases.

I also saw the live action movie at New Year in Matsudo City in Japan with my girlfriend, and was blown away by the beauty of the production... the equal of ANY Hollywood SFX film in recent years.
TV21Dalek is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 07:02 PM   #13
starlord
Astrophysics Technician

I was looking into my very old box of comics and among to marvel / DC and one or two others I found I have #5 from Comico of star blazers. it's a true comic not like the bigger one, but this one has one page where they have ads for viedo tapes of star blazers. they also show on the nextpage they show covers of ones writen in Japanese. and they have an ad for vols 1 to5 of the english star blazers for $6.95 each. of course these ads are at lest 25 years old too.
Old 05-06-2011, 11:24 PM   #14
CR
Science Officer

Those were the Voyager tapes... they still sell the series on DVD via starblazers.com, though I'm certain that VHS tapes have gone the way of the dinosaurs by now.
Old 08-06-2011, 01:25 AM   #15
starlord
Astrophysics Technician

Last night I found a like to a japanese site that not only had models of the yamato but then I found they also carried the toy dolls action figures? of many of the Kamen Riders and they had one plastic model of Kamen Rider 1. and they also gave the prices in USD's too. I want to find it again and fide out all they have.

Old 08-06-2011, 05:15 AM   #16
CR
Science Officer

Hobby Link Japan is one of the best, though there are a few others. http://www.hlj.com/
Old 19-06-2011, 03:10 AM   #17
starlord
Astrophysics Technician

I've been checking the web pages for hobby stores in Japan and the best on I've
found has the model we've been talking about , it's a 1/500 scale that sells for
about $75.00. I think I'll have to wait for a few more months and them maybe I'll
be able to order one.

I found one web site that has a model of the yamato that is a model that is split into at lest 3 section whith inter detales. each section must be build but not together with the rest of it.
Old 02-07-2011, 04:36 AM   #18
Workshop Artist
Astrophysics Technician

Do you think you can help me to find me a 1/350 scale model
of the Yamato somewhere?Do you think you can help me to
locate any artbooks related materials to the new live action
movie of SBY that was released in Japan last year somewhere
on the net?
Workshop Artist is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 05:06 AM   #19
starlord
Astrophysics Technician

well you might want to check out http://www.hlj.com/ I have seen them have some of the models, I'll do a search on saterday and check who has them and the scal and price for them. I would guest that you world have to order from a pace in Japan and pay for shipping. I've not seen any place over in the usa that even has them them of any size.
if you write to me at starlord05@netzero.net then I'll send the links to any places that has them. have you looked at the 1st message in this thread, it has a photo I copyed off a web sitw that shows the one that they used during the filming of the lve action show.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:09 AM   #20
CR
Science Officer

HLJ is likely anyone's best bet for obtaining Japanese models, books, etc. from any series, assuming such items are still in production. There was a US hobby store in the Seattle area that briefly had the 1/350 Yamato, but I don't know if they still have any. Galaxy Hobby, if I recall the name correctly.

Last edited by CR; 02-07-2011 at 06:46 PM.