Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Main Mission > The Hangar

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 01-06-2011, 06:00 AM   #1
cytherians
Travel Tube Technician

Default Original AMT/ERTL Eagle kits... not worth the trouble?

I've read up a little on the AMT/ERTL Eagle kits, how there was a re-issue that wasn't too bad, quite a few steps above the original. But what of the original? If one of those kits is found, is it worth bothering to assemble? Or best left to forgo and get the updated kit?

I have two original AMT/ERTL Eagles assembled, from my teenage years. I'm guessing it's probably not worth doing anything with them... even trying to sell them off would be pointless, am I right?
cytherians is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 07:20 AM   #2
ALPHA ONE
Computer Technician

Default AMT/AIRFIX/ERTL EAGLE MODEL

If it's the same one I'm thinking of (AIRFIX Vers) then I really don't think there's much point, they were great for the time but they're really not that accurate by today's standards
ALPHA ONE is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 07:25 AM   #3
w8cmp
Science Officer

All the issues of the kit were the same as far as I know...
There were no updates to the MPC / Airfix kit that I am aware of between the different editions.
Better off buying a Warp or PE Eagle as they are just about spot on and the Airfix kit is pretty bad. Even with acurising and modification it will come nowhere close to what it should be.
w8cmp is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 07:29 AM   #4
CR
Science Officer

Unless, of course, you follow kerimis' lead and practically scratchbuild a new one based on some pieces of the kit! http://www.eagletransporter.com/foru...ead.php?t=4861

Last edited by CR; 01-06-2011 at 07:31 AM. Reason: added link
CR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 07:30 AM   #5
Howard
Deputy Commander

I didn't know the original kit was updated- is this correct, was there improvements to the tooling???

As far as upgrading the standard kit, well, it's a lot of work if you want the end result to look, or rather resemble an Eagle with any great degree of accuracy.
I did so some ten years ago, and the whole build took just under a year.
Off the top of my head, here's what's needed.

1. CM needs to be fatter toward the rear. It would need to be filled from the inside, made good with new sensor dishes drilled out.
2. The spine angles are wrong - best to build a new one from either aluminium tube or plastic.
3. Leg pod positions in relation to the passenger pod are wrong.
4. Landing gear needs to be partially rebuilt.
5. Walkways need to be either hollowed out bewteen the cross members, or the entire cross members removed and new built with plastic tube.
6. Rear engine bells need to be replaced by a set from Mike Reader.
7. Engine bottle details need to be built.
8. Passenger pod needs to be altered - the angle of the overhanging section with the windows needs to be less obtuse.
9. New decals.

Alternatively, just buy the Warp kit - but be prepared for a lot of clean up.

Forum member Kerimis is working on an astonishing rebuild of the original kit, here:
http://www.eagletransporter.com/foru...ead.php?t=4861
This was started in 2008, so that just goes to show how much work is involved if you want to achieve similar results.

Regards the builds you produced when you were young - they will always have value to someone requiring parts for a scratchbuild.
Howard is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2011, 07:34 AM   #6
CR
Science Officer

Ha! Howard and I posted right around the same time, so we both have the same link. Oh, well, enjoy!

And I echo that there are always people around here looking for one of the old kits for parts (like me, I've got lots of uses for parts!) and/or just to get into model building with a basic kit. (They're great for kids, by the way... pass the torch on to the next generation of fans!)
Old 01-06-2011, 08:53 AM   #7
Howard
Deputy Commander

LOL!
Always the way, Craig.

Yes, there's always members looking for kit parts - I know I can always use them!
Old 01-06-2011, 11:02 AM   #8
ALPHA ONE
Computer Technician

To be Honest if you want a resonable model of the Eagle you can't go wrong the 12" PE

It's not 100% accurate but it's pretty damn close.

Then again if you want to build it your self I guess the Warp version is Ok!
Old 01-06-2011, 06:39 PM   #9
cytherians
Travel Tube Technician

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I had a feeling this was the case... I guess if anything, it's more about nostalgia to keep them. And a good example of showing how much better the other versions are. I'm glad to see the PE Eagles are still floating around fairly often, although they are fetching quite a bit more than when originally sold. Have the market prices been pretty consistent on them?

Howard, thanks for the rundown on what needs to be done to accurize the AMT Eagle... wow, definitely not worth it! I had seen some info on-line about the Warp kit, but I'll have to look into it further. I take it that this is the most accurate of the mass produced kits? As for the AMT/ERTL kit release, I'd read on Starship Modeler that they released the kit 23 years after the original; this was back in 1999. And the author of the article said that there's now the chance to do it right. So, I took that as they made improvements. But in the grand scheme of things, the 1976 kit may be so old that people don't even think of it anymore.

Also, what's the general impression of the miniature Konami Eagle? I just realized I have one, that came along with a UFO SID that I'd bought to complete my UFO collection.

Last edited by cytherians; 01-06-2011 at 06:54 PM.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:31 PM   #10
CR
Science Officer

I think the author of the SM article may have meant that he had a chance to do the kit 'right,' not the manufacturer.

Old 02-06-2011, 06:36 AM   #11
Howard
Deputy Commander

My pleasure, cytherians.
I guess the warp kit is the best that's out there - but the aspect of Eagle kit production that has always irked me is size.
We see ships from other shows given the royal treatment, look at the size of some of the Trek ships - not so much the Polar Lights 1:350 E, because that's an exception - I'm talking about the standard AMT offerings.
We, as Eagle fans need a good sized kit - 22" would be just right.

I remember building the Airfix Eagle with my dad back in the 70s. I came home from school hoping he'd completed it (the last job was to glue the spine to the walkways, IIRC). It was summer, and he left it completed in the garden on a step up to the lawn - kinda in a diorama setting. I thought it looked so accurate!
Old 02-06-2011, 09:03 AM   #12
ALPHA ONE
Computer Technician

Oh for the heady days of the 70's,

Brings back old memories of Tizer, Flares, Air-Fix kits, Dinky Toys and of course Space!
Old 02-06-2011, 08:47 PM   #13
cytherians
Travel Tube Technician

I think we're pretty lucky to have the selection that we've got for the Eagles, considering the relative popularity of the shows. At least, that's my impression from the USA, where the kit/model market is larger than in Europe. Star Trek is so popular, so the "royal treatment" kind of went with the territory. I imagine Gerry Anderson's productions are more popular in the UK, given how they were made on English soil.

Product Enterprise certainly underestimated the number of units for the Eagle. They sold out fairly soon. Had they included another thousand or two, I don't think it would have hurt the selling price that much.

And then there's the Master Replicas enormous Enterprise model. They knew that they'd be popular and, given how they had under-priced some of the previous TOS props, the MSRP was set rather high and they didn't sell out very fast. It was too rich for my blood. And besides, for me the best Enterprise was NCC-1701A.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:04 AM   #14
ALPHA ONE
Computer Technician

Default Star Trek Kits

Speaking of Things Trek, I was lucky enough to Get all of the Bandai Snap-Fit Lighted Kits

Just got Voyager by the Skin of My Teeth Though!!

I'd really Love a Large Enterprise A and NX-01 Though!!

Last edited by ALPHA ONE; 03-06-2011 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Correction.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:41 AM   #15
cricket
Medical Officer

I'll add that the old ERTL model can still serve a valuable purpose. I have helped each of my children assemble one and finish it to the best of their ability. It is a wonderful way to introduce them both to models and S99, and we had a great time doing it.
cricket is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2011, 01:24 PM   #16
CR
Science Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket View Post
I'll add that the old ERTL model can still serve a valuable purpose. I have helped each of my children assemble one and finish it to the best of their ability. It is a wonderful way to introduce them both to models and S99, and we had a great time doing it.
I remember the 'work in progress' thread about this, with pics... have you any pics of the finished models?
Old 03-06-2011, 08:37 PM   #17
JMChladek
Eagle Pilot

Yes, all the Eagle kits are the same. The only thing different about the AMT/Ertl reissue is it was molded in gray plastic instead of white. They didn't even improve the decals (wish they would have used the Airfix artwork instead of the MPC artwork as while they were the wrong colour, at least Airfix had Alpha Moonbase logos you could read in the kit).

Personally, while the kit is very dated by today's standards, it still has some life left in it. When I built mine back in 1999-2001, I did it as a painting exercise to see how good I could do an out of the box Eagle. My results were actually pretty good:

Here I have it parked next to my Product Enterprise Lab Eagle.

You can find more photos here:
http://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l3...dek/Eagle%204/

The build was essentially out of the box, although I drilled out the thruster ports and slammed some epoxy putty into the side scanner areas on the nose to cover up those seams. Otherwise, nothing else was modified. I just did a first class building job, taking care to deal with the seams. It took me a long time to finally finish the model as I first started building it back in 1988 and toyed with accurizing it. But in the end I decided to get it together. Glad I did too as it was a rather fun build and I could have finished it in a weekend (the painting on the pod would have taken longer though).

Other than paint, I experimented with using decals for the internal parts of the cage structures and a wash to simulate depth. The Alpha Moonbase logos I did new artwork for and I based the paintjob on how (then) Phil Rae's Eagle 1 studio model was painted at the time (hence the tape used for the cage structure). Most everything else was done with just paint and cut decal film though and I believe it turned out rather well. It certainly looks better than a couple of the small stand in models used for some distance shots (such as the small Eagle over the Ultra Probe). But of course, those studio models were not built to be scrutinized on a model contest table either.

Point being is don't discard it too quick. It may have its faults, but a decent modeling job can make it shine. Yes, the two Product Enterprise Eagles I own may look more accurate and I would love to build a more accurate Eagle. But I am still proud of how my original 1976 vintage Fundimensions Eagle turned out with the painting and decalling skills I put into it. I still chuckle at how my rescue pod turned out more accurate looking than the PE models (their red stripes are too narrow).

As for selling Eagle kits, the unbuilt ones do tend to command some high prices (even the AMT/Ertl ones). Built ones, not so much. The Eagle still has a bit of a demand among modelers, probably for nostalgia reasons. I still have at least three in my stash, including a trashed original with some bad glue globs on it. I'll be using parts from that one on my "Ultra cool" probe scratchbuild (not based on anything from the show or the "UFO 1999" parody, but inspired by it).

Last edited by JMChladek; 03-06-2011 at 08:48 PM.
JMChladek is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 02:06 PM   #18
Hectors House
Astrophysics Technician

Oh course, I only want Airfix/AMT/Ertl Eagles and Hawks for Blakes 7, Battlestar Galactica and Buck Rogers builds.
So if no-one out there wants them? Please send them my way
Hectors House is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2012, 12:43 AM   #19
eagle3
Astrophysics Technician

I would agree that discarding the old Airfix or Ertl kits would be a waste. my Eagle is the Airfix kit my father had purchased at the hobby shop for me for when I was in the hospital when I was younger. And even though I am rebuilding the model now as it had yellowed with age. I would not toss it or sell it. the model brings back memories for me. and though not 100% accurate it is still an eagle and was in the time the show aired. so it will remain in my collection, as it should with anyone who owns one.
eagle3 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2012, 04:20 AM   #20
eagle3
Astrophysics Technician

seeing the rescue eagle you model is brilliant. it is how I always wanted to model this eagle kit. but never could get the lines from running under the tape in spots.
eagle3 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote