Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Recreation and Dining Complex > Another Time, Another Place - Classic British Film and Television Discussions

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 17-06-2011, 09:43 PM   #1
skiffy
Communications Officer

Default Ladykillers

Having recently read about Graham Linehan re-writing the classic Ealing Studios comedy 'The Ladykillers' for the Liverpool stage, I took another look at this 1955 gem, which remains one of my favourite films.

It struck me that the main location - Mrs Wilberforce's house - may still exist somewhere, since it was obviously a real place, even if the house had possibly been specially built for shooting.

I checked IMDB, and there's a reference to a London street name, Frederica Street, in Holloway.

Then I looked at googlemaps, to see if I could spot anything. Sadly, the area had been re-developed, but I reasoned that the railway lines might still be there, so I had a look around that area of London.

It didn't take me long though to find a railway bridge which look similar, and lo and behold here it is:

Just check the tower structures, including the one with the solid top! The little curve at the end has gone, but you can still work out where Mrs Wilberforce's house would have stood in the (modern) car park at the end of Conistone Way.

Frustratingly, there's nowhere on 'Street View' with a decent line of site onto the bridge itself, where a lot of the action, including the demise of all of the robbers, took place.

I wonder if office/warehouse workers in the vicinity know anything of the history of that bridge and embankment, or maybe recognise it, but don't remember where from?

I think I've found myself a new hobby - location spotting!
skiffy is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2011, 11:43 PM   #2
Captain Sci-Fi
Commander

Thumbs up Pin in the map of history....

Blimey Skiffy, What a find..!

This is a great idea.

Ok, guys, eyes down for Anderson locations in particular Studio sites, location spots, buildings of interest and supplier locations. This seems pretty apt as they are closing Bray soon and the at least part of the site is due for redevelopment.
Captain Sci-Fi is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2011, 03:16 AM   #3
CR
Science Officer

This is a neat idea!
I do believe that The Catacombs has done something like this already for some of the S99 location shots, by the way.
CR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2011, 07:39 AM   #4
steve36uk
Communications Officer

The house was a set built for the film-one of my fav movies-as ever WHY remake it??????????
steve36uk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2011, 07:43 AM   #5
steve36uk
Communications Officer

As an aside the London based Model Railway Club have a vast N scale layout
of this area called Copenhagen Fields complete with Zeppelin!!
steve36uk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 18-06-2011, 08:21 AM   #6
MkIXHawk
Communications Officer

Someone beat you to it:

http://avengerland.theavengers.tv/content.htm

and

http://www.fanderson.org.uk/prodguid...tionguide.html

Last edited by MkIXHawk; 18-06-2011 at 08:30 AM.
MkIXHawk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2011, 09:06 AM   #7
skiffy
Communications Officer

Thanks for all the info guys! MkIXHawk - Gosh, it's fortunate that it's the weekend, with those two sites to pour over!

Captain - good idea about Bray too, I might have a go at some of the Hammer classics since GA seems to have already been done.

Now, time to brew up a cuppa and rummage through those GA locations.

Isn't the internet the best?
Old 18-06-2011, 09:15 AM   #8
skiffy
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve36uk View Post
As an aside the London based Model Railway Club have a vast N scale layout
of this area called Copenhagen Fields complete with Zeppelin!!
I do hope they've got an open wagon with a body in it and a shootout happening on the bridge! If not, then doing so would make a great conversation piece!
Old 18-06-2011, 11:08 AM   #9
Doomsday
Communications Officer

There are loads of people on Flickr who do location finds.
Great comparison pics.
Just put it in the search box.
Start with this guy:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rollthedice/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/49602360@N00/

Last edited by Doomsday; 18-06-2011 at 11:11 AM.
Doomsday is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2011, 03:23 PM   #10
Air Terrainean
Life Support Officer

Glad you've found the Avengerland site of interest Skiffy - a labour of love by Tony McKay, who I spent many weekends with in the 80s and 90s exploring the remote byways of Hertfordshire and surrounding counties trying to identify obscure and long lost locations. So much easier now thanks to Google Earth and Streetview !

BTW, the Ladykillers street is actually a combination of two locations, including one street opposite Kings Cross/St.Pancras, so a bit of film trickery there.
Air Terrainean is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 19-06-2011, 07:58 PM   #11
skiffy
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Terrainean View Post
Glad you've found the Avengerland site of interest Skiffy - a labour of love by Tony McKay, who I spent many weekends with in the 80s and 90s exploring the remote byways of Hertfordshire and surrounding counties trying to identify obscure and long lost locations. So much easier now thanks to Google Earth and Streetview !

BTW, the Ladykillers street is actually a combination of two locations, including one street opposite Kings Cross/St.Pancras, so a bit of film trickery there.
Thanks AirTerranian, that site and the GA one are real gems.

Re: the film trickery - I wouldn't trust any reverse angle shot, say from the house doorway looking out, or any other cut-aways. As you point out, they could be filmed anywhere. I was after that opening shot specifically, and that bridge!
Old 23-06-2011, 05:53 PM   #12
Tim Smith
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve36uk View Post
The house was a set built for the film-one of my fav movies-as ever WHY remake it??????????
I was pleased to find the original on a few years ago, and, wow, look at all those steam locomotives!!! Drool.... As for the remake, it was no more than the F word said over and over again, with those trains replaced by garbage barges. Thumbs down, awful awful. Hollywood can't seem to help itself these days, re-imagining (dumbing down) films and TV shows like. And very few are improvements.
Tim Smith is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote