Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Main Mission > The Hangar

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 08-08-2006, 06:29 PM   #1
Four Mad Men
Travel Tube Technician

Default Eagle Transporter Orthographics / Poster(?)

I thought perhaps these might be useful for someone. Each link is to a 5000px wide image. I've made the model as accurate as I can but intentially deviated in a few areas concerning the command module. For example the position of the front windows (they sit lower than on the "real" Eagles).

Dorsal View
Ventral View
Starboard View
Port View
Fore View
Aft View
Four Mad Men is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 06:32 PM   #2
Eagle
Commander Ret.

These are stunning quality, thanks for posting them.

...and worthy of a move to The Hangar!
Eagle is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 09:50 PM   #3
doon
Communications Officer

Thanks so much, those are really impressive
doon is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 10:25 PM   #4
preHEstoric
Astrophysics Technician

Most impressive.

What software and how many hours did it take you to do those?

How I wish I took art and design at school instead of Economics (which I failed).

Regards
David
preHEstoric is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 10:50 PM   #5
Eagle
Commander Ret.

Are these vector? Or rendered?

I'm assuming you can output them at any print size?

Why not amalgamate them into a single, large-size poster, get them professionally printed up and flog 'em on eBay? I'd buy one!

Old 08-08-2006, 11:14 PM   #6
preHEstoric
Astrophysics Technician

And throw in a full cut away sectioned version and everyone's happy.

Regards
David
Old 08-08-2006, 11:52 PM   #7
cricket
Medical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle
Why not amalgamate them into a single, large-size poster, get them professionally printed up and flog 'em on eBay? I'd buy one!

Most definitely!
cricket is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 02:27 AM   #8
BrianS
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by preHEstoric
And throw in a full cut away sectioned version and everyone's happy.
I looked at the gallery on their site. Wow. Some cool stuff. And I found that they did a cutaway for the Galileo 7 from ST:

So a full cut away section may not be that outrageous (though certainly not something they would be able to produce overnight of course ). More from this series can be seen here:

http://www.fourmadmen.com/gallery/th...lbum=16&page=1

Also from their site, I ran across some AMAZING modelling work done on the Enterprise from ST: The Motion Picture:

and

among many others. Again, check out the whole series here:

http://www.fourmadmen.com/gallery/th...lbum=41&page=1

It is definitely worth perusing. And while it is not S1999, it is certainly some wonderful work and deserves praise. Great work guys!
BrianS is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 03:17 AM   #9
Four Mad Men
Travel Tube Technician

Default Thanks for the kind words.

It's a common misconception that the "Four" in "Four Mad Men" implies more than one person. It's just me; although I host images and animations from some very talented people. The Enterprise modeling work you see above is from a very talented individual who goes by the name Kurok. It's an amazing build. Please note the crewman in an engineering environmental suit at the far end of the shuttle bay in the last image. Most impressive.

The Eagle and everything else I do is made with a program called "Blender". It's an opensource 3D modeling/compositing/game-engine application. I can theoretically render at any size but in reality the memory limits of my computer dictate the true maximum size. However it's sufficient for creating elements that can be compiled into a poster. In fact the orthograhics already should be of sufficient resoultion for a 300-600 dpi poster.

The poster idea is one I had not really thought of but is a good one. And something I would consider doing. There are no interiors and probably won't be for the forseable future so what are we talking about here? A simple consolidation of the orthographics? That's certainly something that could be easily accomplished but perhaps that's a little to plain. Don't know.

I'm presently working on finishing my K-7 station but if anyone has some ideas for what the poster might look like I'd be more than happy to hear about them. If something like this is to be offered it might as well be created using input from the people who care most about the subject matter.
Old 09-08-2006, 03:39 AM   #10
Four Mad Men
Travel Tube Technician

Oh yes, build time. I don't keep real records but I do typically render something after a modeling or texturing session. So for those that care here is a general timeline for the Eagle:

Start Date: March 15
"End" Date: July 15

So to the outside observer it took 4 months. However, like everyone else, I have a family and work and all the other stuff that comes with real life. So here is something more accurate.

March (6 days) Modeling 6 days
April (8 days) Modeling 8 days
May (6 days) Modeling 1 day, Texturing 5 days
June (1 day) Texturing 1 day
July (7 days) Modeling 1 day, Texturing 6 days
------------------------------
Modeling 17 days
Texturing 11 days
------------------------------
Total 28 days.

Bearing in mind that "day" above is really just a few hours within that day. The toal working time is approximately 90 to 100 hours

And another though occurs. The following recieved postive feedback from Sci-Fi fans in general. Let's see what a bunch of Eagle fans think.

Here are some shots of the Eagle with it's Targeting system and cannons deployed:

Eagle with claws #1
Eagle with claws #2

Old 09-08-2006, 04:04 AM   #11
CR
Science Officer

Love the orthographic views, and they'd make a great poster, even if it seems a bit 'plain.'

The 'Eagle with teeth' is a neat idea, though I think the targeting system looks a little too large. Just personal aesthetic opinion, mind you. It's still a great idea!
CR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 01:03 PM   #12
cricket
Medical Officer

Default Re: Thanks for the kind words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four Mad Men
The poster idea is one I had not really thought of but is a good one. And something I would consider doing. There are no interiors and probably won't be for the forseable future so what are we talking about here? A simple consolidation of the orthographics? That's certainly something that could be easily accomplished but perhaps that's a little to plain. Don't know.
Your site is really something to see. Couldn't find the Eagles, though.
I hope you pursue the poster idea. One of the exterior views you've posted above would be great for starters and perhaps another of a cut away, along the lines of the Galileo shuttle, later. (If I'm adding to a Christmas wish list, might as well dream BIG!) I rather like how the cut-away is isolated on its own. I also like how you've modeled the rescue pod. It makes it different from the other posters I've collected.
Old 09-08-2006, 08:28 PM   #13
Four Mad Men
Travel Tube Technician

The targeting system is from a present day design and it looks too small when scaled to it's real world size.

The eagle at present is not available in the gallery. I've been lazy about updating it. If you want to see other images in the Eagle build process just take one of the "Eagle with claws" links and change the number from 1 to 60. I need to make some renders of the Rescue pod as a standalone object because there are some details on the topside that you can't see when it's attached to the Eagle (such my take on how it attaches to the Eagle).

As for the poster I'll tell you what I'll do. If anyone wants to make some possible design sketches of how they would like it to look (including the orhtos, perspective angles and even cutaways) I'll look them over and work something up. I'm thinking 36 x 24 is a good size. Poster design is not one of my strengths so I'll produce the poster with full credit those who help in its design. As I say I'm currently working on my K-7 but if I can get some help on the design phase then that would go along way to gettign it done.
Old 09-08-2006, 09:42 PM   #14
preHEstoric
Astrophysics Technician

I have a little experience in poster design and I'm willing to put some hours in to produce some sample layouts using these super drawings.

Regards
David
Old 09-08-2006, 11:10 PM   #15
cricket
Medical Officer

If I had any artistic skill at all, I'd be happy to volunteer also. As it stands, my creative bend goes more in the direction of fiber/needlework. (Now, don't laugh, but I've done a fairly decent cross-stitich of an Eagle... but nothing in this league. The hours of work it takes does seem comparable, though.) But I'll support your poster by being a customer.

Old 09-08-2006, 11:20 PM   #16
Four Mad Men
Travel Tube Technician

My initial thoughts are things like the text that would/could be included. Do we need callout text? Should there be a main scene with orthographics and other views as insets? Or should the orthos be the main focus and other views as secondary?

Take a crack at the basic layout (or layouts if you prefer) and feel free to PM me if that's easier if there are any questions or things to discuss.
Old 09-08-2006, 11:32 PM   #17
Eagle
Commander Ret.

As a graphic designer m'self, I have contacts in the print industry. To maybe reduce costs for the UKers, I can get them printed here if that'd work.

Let me know if you wish to discuss that aspect and we can work something out.
Old 09-08-2006, 11:59 PM   #18
Four Mad Men
Travel Tube Technician

My initial reaction is that would work fine. And I can see I'll probably be doing that interior earlier than I thought (depending on how the design shakes out). So anyone know of a good place to get interior references? I have some but you guys probably already know the best places. I don't suppose anyone here has scratchbuilt any of the interior sets.
Old 10-08-2006, 12:55 AM   #19
Eagle
Commander Ret.

Here's probably the best place to start. Can't vouch for the accuracy though.

http://www.space1999.net/~eagle/
Old 10-08-2006, 04:06 AM   #20
CR
Science Officer

Carefully read Baldassari's "Helping the Eagle to Fly" (making of...) article at that site, as it explains why his interiors aren't accurate according to screen shots of the set.

I was desiging a poster set many years ago, before I discovered Baldassari's and several others. I'd be interested in making some layouts, or at least trying to scan my old sketches.
CR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote