Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > SHADO Operations > The Monitor

Notices

SPONSORED BY

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 31-08-2011, 09:21 PM   #61
Troy
Medical Technician

Default Visit to see Fosters car

On Saturday 27th August I ventured forth into the wilds of deepest Suffolk to visit Fosters Car. Before I go any further I'd like to thank to current owner of this vehicle for the warm welcome and hospitality he and his wife kindly showed me during my visit. I really had a great time and I feel I've made some new friends here.

Here is a brief synopsis of the current situation. The car kept under a cover to keep it free form any further deterioration. As I understand it the previous owner had taken the side windows out for some reason and water had been allowed to enter the vehicle causing a lot of damage. The floor pan needs to be replaced as it has rotted right through but I'm pleased to say that the current owner has sourced a new one so it should be possible to replace it in due course.

Here is the vehicle as it stands today:

As you can see it has no engine as this had apparently been removed when the current owner bought it. The front of the car had a fairly thick layer of filler skimmed over it and most of this has been removed. I think this must have been done prior to its appearance on UFO because there are two distinct layers of filler, the first being the thickest and topped off with the original lavender (for want of a better description) paint and the a thinner layer on top of that that has been painted red. It should be possible to make it out from the next photo:

In profile the car is still very striking. When you first see it the impression is that its bigger than you thought it would be and lower too:

Shot of the interior with the distinctive steering wheel still in place:

Looking in through the missing widow:

Number plate with an aperture cut in it...was it for a camera of some sort?

Previous owner had branded the car as a 'Ford UFO':

Rear of the car with the louvers removed (current owner has them tucked away):

This was an attempt to show the subtle panel work. Not sure it worked out to well:

And finally another oblique view of the car from the front near side:

As you can see there is an enormous amount of work to be done for this car to be restored to its former glory, to say nothing of the costs involved. Nevertheless I hope to have a ride in it one day when the current owner finds the resources to do the job. He has already restored several military vehicles so I have every hope that Fosters car will be back on the road one day.
Troy is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2011, 09:38 PM   #62
JD
Medical Officer

Wow! Sad and heartening at the same time! Thanks for posting these, they're really something!

Amazing that it's over 40 years old!!
JD is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2011, 09:47 PM   #63
Blue Moon
Communications Officer

Fab pics troy! I truly hope it gets restored in the not too distant future sure is a shame that this fab car that we used to see wizzing around our village, when we were kidds has been reduced to this
Blue Moon is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2011, 10:20 PM   #64
Communications Officer

Kinda reminds me of how the full size Galileo ended up.
29390 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2011, 10:21 PM   #65
rockwellcm
Communications Officer

Realisticaly,i dont think this will happen (restoration) or it would have by now.
i think this will still be the same in another 10 years.
that car needs a body shop and a team of good mechanics to bring it back,try the UK pimp my ride people,for a quick fix.
rockwellcm is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2011, 10:23 PM   #66
rockwellcm
Communications Officer

I forgot to add,thanks for the great pics,you did a great job there.
Old 01-09-2011, 01:18 AM   #67
Captain Sci-Fi
Commander

Well done Troy and thanks so much for taking the pictures.

I have mixed emotions seeing the thing in it's present state. I know you have said the current owner is planning to stabilise and repair the car. On the one hand I am glad it is still in the world and more or less in one piece but on the other I can only brace myself for the condition of Strakers car as I have been told that it is worse.

Fosters car still has the elegance and presence in it's lines, there is no mistaking that shape. I think it looks lower because the suspension springs have dropped with age and I am sure the shock absorbers have collapsed to. I can only see one wheel for sure and that is bound to be flat. Did you measure it by chance? An overall length would be great as a believe that both the UFO cars were made on the same body and chassis. I have a picture where a UFO fly's right over one of the cars. The studio model looks good in comparison to the full size car so it would make a good starting point to scale everything.

One down one more to find....
Captain Sci-Fi is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:24 AM   #68
Troy
Medical Technician

I can't really comment on the mechanical aspects as my knowledge is poor in that area, but I can say it has four wheels. The Wolfrace wheels seen on the vehicle in 1982 have been taken off and are stored in a barn as I understand it. As for measurements it never entered my head, wise I had done it now. I'll ask him if he knows how long it it is.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:46 PM   #69
Blue Moon
Communications Officer

Didn't I read somewhere that they came in at about 17 feet long and this led to them being very difficult to drive on british roads.
Blue Moon is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 12:55 PM   #70
Troy
Medical Technician

Current owner says he thinks its about 18 feet long so a bit of a monster.
Old 01-09-2011, 01:35 PM   #71
delta tango
Astrophysics Technician

Nice to see that car again. Thanks Troy.
delta tango is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 07:25 PM   #72
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
Wow! Sad and heartening at the same time! Thanks for posting these, they're really something!

Amazing that it's over 40 years old!!
I agree with your thoughts.
Steve Gerard is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:13 PM   #73
forza27
Eagle Pilot

Why does he not do something with it? Either restore it or sell it to someone who will? I just do not get it.
forza27 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 10:54 PM   #74
Transporter
Life Support Officer

Firstly: Thanks Troy, for your efforts and pics.

I also don't really understand what's happening or not happening to Fosters Car. Of course the actual owner can be a nice and friendly man. But why is he not doing anything to at least conserve the car. I'm wondering if he:

- is really a fan of the series UFO
- really wants to restore it to its original Foster car shape
- can just not afford a restoration at the moment
- is not really committed to restore it
- is not capable of restoring it
- or just does not realize that he has a piece of history in his backyard that has a meaning to many more people and has to be brought back to its former glory

I know it is his car, he owns it, but it does not make any sense to let it decompose until there is nothing left.

Last edited by Transporter; 01-09-2011 at 10:57 PM.
Transporter is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 11:01 PM   #75
rockwellcm
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by forza27 View Post
Why does he not do something with it? Either restore it or sell it to someone who will? I just do not get it.

Its the same mindset that buy Scottish Islands,and never live on them or visit them,there has been scores of `dreamers`who have done this with romantic thoughts,but very few have lived the dream.they normally sell in the end,after a few years.

I have visited many places up and down the country,and seen `that`yard many a time,it will just lie and rot over time.

it needs taken inside first,if they are taking it serious.

i see a late 1970`s, MGB GT sitting in the background,that car is worth about 3000 -4000 in half decent nick,but again there are many lying around in the same state,with visions of restoration.

I owned one,and they rust like mad,it was bad enough keeping a `runner` on the road,again that would need a full strip and rebuild,the problem is you would only get about the same back after all the work.

very sad to see the car in that condition,but it should be moved on to someone who can do it justice.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:42 AM   #76
forza27
Eagle Pilot

Has anyone got a tow truck? I have a flashlight.
forza27 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 01:35 PM   #77
deraenged
Chief Eagle Pilot

i've posted these somewhere before but thought some of you will have missed them.
this is what it was like in the early/late 80s, when it was actually on the road!

what's particularly strange is that the steering wheel has been switched to the other side?

Last edited by deraenged; 02-09-2011 at 01:38 PM.
deraenged is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 07:15 PM   #78
doctorwhoprops
Computer Technician

I know you should not judge but it will be a miracle if that car ever gets restored I have met lots of people who collect old cars but never get round to restoring them they just sit there and rot away
doctorwhoprops is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:02 PM   #79
Nige194
Life Support Technician

Thanks for posting the pics, I was waiting for an email notification via the site but didn't get one, I just happened to log in and see them now.

Did the owner say if he would sell the car to someone else to restore? It really does need to have been kept indoors to stop it rotting so much. It needs to be restored now because it won't last much longer and the costs will far outweigh the final value.
Nige194 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 09:00 PM   #80
Troy
Medical Technician

I can confirm that the current owner isn't interested in selling the vehicle.