Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > Breakaway > Blakes 7

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 17-07-2011, 07:20 AM   #1
MoonbaseAlpha
Chief Eagle Pilot

Hi Phil (Exterminator)

As regards the "Spacemaster".

I've got all the BBC designs and plans for the ship, drawn by Rodger Murry Leech and his assistant (Les McCallum) for season 1. Not sur your missus would aproove of a 7.2 metre long ship in your garden/house/gararge...

The first model for season one was quite small and was painted in a metalic blue colour, not like the set which was dirted slivers.
The later model was much larger (about 2 feet) with a little compartment for the explosive charge.
btw, the mould for this still exists...

The last time I saw the full size prop was at a BBC Worldwide exhibition in Blackpool in the early 80's.
It was a few doors down from, the then, "Doctor Who" exhibition, opposite the Central pier.
You could walk into the set from the off camera side, and play with some of the switches (a lot were broken).
What happened to it after this, I've no idea...
Sadly, I didn't take any photos of it...
If anyone has some, it would be wonderfull to see them now !!!

Regards,
Andy.
MoonbaseAlpha is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2011, 11:58 PM   #2
Exterminator
Deputy Commander

Hi Andy,

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonbaseAlpha View Post
I've got all the BBC designs and plans for the ship, drawn by Rodger Murry Leech and his assistant (Les McCallum) for season 1.
That's something I'd like to see!! I've not seen much in the way of original B7 plans/designs. There's loads of Who stuff around on the 'net and in books ... I know Who has been around much longer than B7, but there's practically nothing "floating around"!!

Quote:
Not sur your missus would aproove of a 7.2 metre long ship in your garden/house/gararge...
Ohhhh, OK then, perhaps not! 7.2 metres is just over 23 feet. I'd done a very quick calculation that it was about 20 feet long. I never realised the exhibition you mentioned existed, I wish I'd seen it!

Quote:
The later model was much larger (about 2 feet) with a little compartment for the explosive charge.
btw, the mould for this still exists...
I've seen a photo of the moulds, they were on display at a convention or something, I think.

I doubt very much if I could get a casting from the original moulds (even if I knew who owned them), BUT one thing I do have is a decent plan-view photo of it, with a sheet of A4 paper next to it. Some time ago I enlarged the image until the paper was the correct size, and taken measurements, I have even used it to work out the EMA/Plastruct channel used to make the bit on the rear.

Thanks,

Phil

Last edited by Exterminator; 15-08-2011 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Inability to type for toffee.
Exterminator is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2011, 09:03 AM   #3
MoonbaseAlpha
Chief Eagle Pilot

Hi Phil,

I was lucky enough to get copies of all the "Spacemaster" designs from the people who did them, there's quite a few pages of it and goes into quite a lot of detail, as these were drawn up for the set makers and the scenic artists to follow.
Also LIberator stuff, original design doodles, set construction plans ect.
I'm quite happy to show you them in person, but it would be wrong of me post them on an open site as these were given to to me in good faith and off course I dont have the copyright.

It's a shame though, because there's a huge amount on B7 stuff that I either have, or elsewhere that's not "out there"....

Anyway...

The moulds were at an exhibition I organised for a convention in 1998 called Deliverence 98.
Along with the most original B7 stuff I could organise.
I contacted as many of my old VisFX's collegues and a lot of stuff came out of the closet for the first time.

The BBC Enterprise exhibition in Blackpool lasted for about 2 years in the very early 80's.
It was excellent, had all kinds of things in there, the whole variety of BBC stuff at the time. "Aint arf hot Mum" set, those big costumes from "It's a Knock out", a make up display, slashed wounds and the like, props from the "Goodies" and a load of costumes from Light Entertainment to SiFi (a few Serverlan outfits/Travis/Fed guards, and The "Spacemaster"), and a load of other stuff...
No "Doctor Who" stuff as that was well catered for a few doors down.

As I said I didnt take any photos of this, so if anyone has some I would love to see them.

Andy.
Old 19-07-2011, 09:42 AM   #4
Captain Sci-Fi
Commander

Default Andy's photos....

Hold on to your space helmet..!!

Andy has just sent me these images - please don't distribute them but link to this page if you want to share with others.

Captain Sci-Fi is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2011, 10:56 AM   #5
KevinD
Communications Officer

Thank you for posting these stunning (and useful!) images
KevinD is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 20-07-2011, 08:15 PM   #6
clanger68
Computer Technician

Ah, the amazing display room at Deliverance '98, I so wish I owned a digital camera at the time, so many props, costumes, models, blueprints on display, it was amazing.

There was so much to see, in fact I don't even remember seeing this:

Again, thank you for the amazing photos Andy, if you have anymore I'd love to see them.

Cheers,

Andy
clanger68 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2011, 01:39 PM   #7
MoonbaseAlpha
Chief Eagle Pilot

Hi Phil (Exterminator)

As regards the "Spacemaster".
The back section is not a true spherical cylinder, it's slightly oval or squashed on all models and designs, as is the main body.

Regards,,
Andy.

EDIT by Cap'n* Here you go:
Old 24-07-2011, 11:34 PM   #8
Exterminator
Deputy Commander

Hi Andy,

Thanks for that, and thanks for the photo of the Spacemaster model from "Time Squad" - that's the first time I've seen it other than on the TV/DVDs.

Phil
Old 15-08-2011, 12:08 PM   #9
Exterminator
Deputy Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exterminator View Post
I doubt very much if I could get a casting from the original moulds (even if I knew who owned them), BUT one thing I do have is a decent plan-view photo of it, with a sheet of A4 paper next to it. Some time ago I enlarged the image until the paper was the correct size, and taken measurements, I have even used it to work out the EMA/Plastruct channel used to make the bit on the rear.
I was shuffling through some bits o' paper at the weekend, and I found the enlarged image I'd made:

That's a 12" ruler in the photo, so it's just over 2 feet long. I'll do some proper measurements when I can.

I am convinced that this is fairly accurate, as I measured the detailing around the rear-most section, and it matches EMA's PSC-10 ("Structural Channel 7.9mm").